• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Video & Critique Thread -- Diamond City Theater

Labernash

Smash Lord
I'm the jester of bad Warios. :cool:

I still only have wifi vids.
I don't have any vids! I'd get some up of me playing my brother who is an IC main, who also wants videos for their boards. They'd be camera pointed at a TV but a video. The only problem is, my dog chewed up the AV plugs and my brothers GCC.

BPx

Smash Lord

BPx

Smash Lord
well... if spongejordan would ever respond......... i would have me/zeton vs m2k/fino. and i guess my set against fino wasn't recorded on ripples setup, even though we were playing there. :( people probably have replays of me on their wii's, i saved everything. i'll be on stream/have replays from a tourney in a few weeks tho

Gichan

Smash Champion
I love the music on BF in first set vs ZSS. And the song on SV in the last game of the Falco set. Do you know by any chance the names of those songs?

And maaaaan Falco's jab is stupid loool. Great use of the armor piece in first set.

SAX

Smash Ace
Haha that's Kuro! I can always count on you. I was actually just about the post them here.

I love the music on BF in first set vs ZSS. And the song on SV in the last game of the Falco set. Do you know by any chance the names of those songs?

And maaaaan Falco's jab is stupid loool. Great use of the armor piece in first set.
Yes! I HATE falco's jab. grrr. I feel like I could have beaten DJ with wario watching it back now. I didn't really mix it up with my ledge guards etc and my farts were horrible. Once I figure myself out and KNOW how to get most of my farts, that's when I'll be a better player haha

So after watching the 2nd game vs dtorr. I realized how many times I actually could have landed a fart. And then I look at the times when I tried to fart. And I just think, "what the hell was I even thinking?" GAHH

bassem6

Smash Lord
Haha that's Kuro! I can always count on you. I was actually just about the post them here.

Yes! I HATE falco's jab. grrr. I feel like I could have beaten DJ with wario watching it back now. I didn't really mix it up with my ledge guards etc and my farts were horrible. Once I figure myself out and KNOW how to get most of my farts, that's when I'll be a better player haha

So after watching the 2nd game vs dtorr. I realized how many times I actually could have landed a fart. And then I look at the times when I tried to fart. And I just think, "what the hell was I even thinking?" GAHH
I used to have that same problem man. I would fart at predictable or improper times. The trick is to not fish for it. Let the opportunity present itself. Even if you miss out on landing a max knockback smartfart, 42% from a fully charged waft will still help you tremendously.

Just watch your opponent's movements and set yourself up into a position to where if he airdodges or uses a certain move, you are guaranteed a fart on him. Its better than going for risky farts and having them miss completely.

Gichan

Smash Champion
I STILL do that man....it's trying too hard. The best farts do come when you know it, you simply know it will work. But I don't get that feeling often.

Seriously, I really just want to start practicing reading people. How do I go about it? And what are things I should look for?

bassem6

Smash Lord
I STILL do that man....it's trying too hard. The best farts do come when you know it, you simply know it will work. But I don't get that feeling often.

Seriously, I really just want to start practicing reading people. How do I go about it? And what are things I should look for?
Hmm how to practice reading people? I would say play around with some characters that are even more dependant on reads to get kills than wario is. Like play some friendlies using ganondorf, ike, bowser,ddd, etc. Heavy hitters that move slow. You will be forced to make hard reads to be able to kill people.

Then you can go back to wario and his kill moves come out faster and have less afterlag then most of the aforementioned characters so it will be a lot easier, relatively speaking.

Another thing you can do is watch matches of other wario players and watch who theyre fighting. Look at where the wario is in relation to the opponent then predict what move the opponent will do and watch how the wario reacts/punishes it. Then ask yourself if that was the best option/what the wario could have done better.

One final thing and this helps every main, not just wario. Play as other characters. I was really surprised when you told me it was your first time using ddd when we had our friendlies. If you play as other characters then you will know what makes them feel pressured and where their weak spots are and when they are vulnerable and stuff.

You can then relate this back to your improvement with wario because you will have new knowledge of when to attack certain characters and stuff. Plus, this may just be me, but if I use wario for too long, I start getting bored of him...and its always nice to find who youre playing as fun. So playing as other characters during friendlies can really help boost your game and give you more fun out of it too. Thats why when I was at your house I played as a whole bunch of characters.

Hope that was helpful, typed a bit more than I thought I would haha.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Imo the best thing you can do for farts is have a good reaction time...it makes all the difference. As far as reads...just pay attention to when they like to strike at you when you're weaving. How they react to pressure. And how they recover. If you really take note of those 3 things and keep it in mind it'll help with farts a bunch.

@SAX you know it bro! :D

Geerz

Smash Cadet
I enjoy setting up my farts like jab->fart or tire->fart or fair->fart. these are kind of situational but they sometimes give me the extra push to win a match

bassem6

Smash Lord
lol dyno and masky. Havent seen both of you post for a while. Whats up ?:)

Masky my boy, where were you when I went to florida!? (went to esams zping monthly in june)

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
5 hours away... and taking a final exam or something from what I remember :(
heard you did good. and now seibrik just won a tournament in FL with only wario. you guys making me look bad ):
He did go mk on CO18 d3...but that's still respectable XD...

bassem6

Smash Lord
5 hours away... and taking a final exam or something from what I remember :(
heard you did good. and now seibrik just won a tournament in FL with only wario. you guys making me look bad ):
Eh, I could have done better. I think I could have beaten shaky and esam if it wasnt my first tourny in months. Anyways, schools important so good for you for taking that final exam. Hopefully you aced it? lol.

Im gonna try to go to apex this january. You should try to go too if its possible!

bassem6

Smash Lord
I'll be going to APEX. :)
Yaaaaay reflex! I saw an interview of yours on youtube from some tourny. You seem like a pretty chill guy so it would be cool meeting you and getting a bunch of friendlies in haha.

I just have to make A's in organic chemistry and physics this semester and I will be golden for apex :awesome:

( I still have to meet malcolm, hunger, masky and blue rogue though :( )

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Yaaaaay reflex! I saw an interview of yours on youtube from some tourny. You seem like a pretty chill guy so it would be cool meeting you and getting a bunch of friendlies in haha.

I just have to make A's in organic chemistry and physics this semester and I will be golden for apex :awesome:

( I still have to meet malcolm, hunger, masky and blue rogue Dyno though :( )
Fix'd

Also, the interview was prob. the one i did :cool:

bassem6

Smash Lord
Me vs Raziek :marth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ1tvesFQo4

Watch it before WMG disables its audio again :(

Hints/tips/tricks welcome.
I liked your bike combo. I liked your counterpick.

Never take any character to yoshi's island as your starter stage. I cant think of a single MU where yoshis helps wario more than it hurts him. It completely keeps you from being able to approach vertically with dair. I would suggest smashville or ps1 as a starter against marth. SV the platform can save you from grab release. ps1, the platforms and transformations can save you from GR. Its also easier to run away from him and camp fart on those stages.

You should consider using run up>shield grab more and up throw more. If you KNOW where marth is going to land, then you should be over there waiting for him with your shield up. If he used his double jump, the only thing he could possibly do is shield breaker you and that is hella laggy afterwards so if he misses, he gets punished hard.

Also dont roll as much. I think half of your rolls were accidental though. Happens to me too sometimes. And dont be afraid to airdodge into him just so you can get inside. I noticed he kept swatting you away with fairs and you didnt try to airdodge through them very often. I personally would have used dacus a bit more, but that may or may not be good against marth. It works nicely on mk so I think it would work nicely on marth too (except for when you have high % so he doesnt grab you).

Good job winning.

that was a pretty cool interview

1 week till super bit warz hype
Yes indeed :awesome:

Croi

Smash Lord
I liked your bike combo. I liked your counterpick.

Never take any character to yoshi's island as your starter stage. I cant think of a single MU where yoshis helps wario more than it hurts him. It completely keeps you from being able to approach vertically with dair. I would suggest smashville or ps1 as a starter against marth. SV the platform can save you from grab release. ps1, the platforms and transformations can save you from GR. Its also easier to run away from him and camp fart on those stages.

You should consider using run up>shield grab more and up throw more. If you KNOW where marth is going to land, then you should be over there waiting for him with your shield up. If he used his double jump, the only thing he could possibly do is shield breaker you and that is hella laggy afterwards so if he misses, he gets punished hard.

Also dont roll as much. I think half of your rolls were accidental though. Happens to me too sometimes. And dont be afraid to airdodge into him just so you can get inside. I noticed he kept swatting you away with fairs and you didnt try to airdodge through them very often. I personally would have used dacus a bit more, but that may or may not be good against marth. It works nicely on mk so I think it would work nicely on marth too (except for when you have high % so he doesnt grab you).

Good job winning.
Thanks on the bike combo. I wasn't expecting it to work as well as it did. And Frigate Orpheon is one of my comfort zones to use against just about anybody; I just really like the stage, but it seems to work really well against Marth, which is weird because this Marth specifically wrote this and this so you'd think he'd be some kind of wizard with the stage.

Really, YI is a bad stage for Wario? I never realized, I thought it was halfway decent for him. I wasn't sure if I was comfortable taking him to SV and PS1 just simply didn't occur to me. I was actually aiming for Lylat Cruise because Raziek has a history of, well, taking it up the bum there but I wasn't really focusing on my other options, I suppose. (Nova Scotia has the most balls-out stagelist, we have PS2 as a starter so I have a lot of things to focus on when stage striking. Our CP list is so big everybody needs two stagebans to work with it. I banned FD and Norfair yes it's legal here! because I completely forgot about Pictochat)

I've been told a thousand thousand thousand thousand thousand times to use more grab, and I've been trying, honest! Maybe it just slips my mind, but I'll be sure to focus more on grabbing stuff in future matches. I've known that throwing up is the best option against Marth, though, at lower percentages.

Most of my rolls were accidental, yeah. With Wario specifically, I get this kind of weird mental block against rolling and just spotdodge-to-nair rather than rolling away. And since his roll is kind of ****ty that seems like a decent idea, but it gets predictable sometimes so I try to mix it up. Not quite that much, though. Also I know how to dacus, I really do, but I can't actually do it half the time - I think I'm actually putting in the commands too quickly because I just wind up dash-grabbing. Usually I'm well out of attack range when I make that kind of flub, at least.

And thanks for the compliment. Marth is kind of a douche canoe to fight so it's always a thrill when a Wario beats him :)

Gichan

Smash Champion
Yooooo wtf Croi, I did the EXACT same thing in a recent set vs a marth, that uair pressure to full fart shield breaking LOL. Crazy. The vid is on youtube actually, but it's such a bad match, both of us look soooo bad in it, we just weren't playing well.

EDIT: Ah **** it. I'll post it here. Yo Croi you seem to be a master of that marth MU, wanna share some tips? I know there are a lot of technical mistakes in the match, I don't know wtf was going on. Just couldn't get the flow. I wasn't even using tires right...geeez. I need help with the MU nonetheless. But there is a bad habit we both have, we both airdodge INTO marth, I think we should focus on removing that terrible habit and just grab the ledge cause airdodging into them is practically giving up.

For you vs Raziek, he likes to shield, bite him some more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qXA5XNruNs&feature=channel_video_title

Croi

Smash Lord
Funny you say us airdodging into Marth is a problem since Bassem said to not worry about that if it means getting into his defense.

I dunno if I'd call myself a 'master' at the Marth MU, haha. I'd sooner say that I know the Raziek MU than the Marth MU :p For the most part, I find that fair and bair are both really good against Marth, fair comes out quick and bair has good reach. If Marth is on the ground: dancing blade. If in the air: nair or fair. Try to anticipate either. The safest place to be vs Marth is directly beneath him because while he has a decent spike, if he flubs it, he's highly receptive to just about whatever **** fantasy you want. Directly above is bad for you because while dair-uair will trade, he'll take 2% and you'll take 10%, it's not a very fair trade if you ask me.

Try to calm down with the dacus. It's a good, quick move, but you were getting a little predictable with it - and towards the start you were just whipping out dash attacks instead D:

Learn this and abuse the hell out of Marth's major weakness here. Wario has none of this lag :awesome:

Other than that, I don't really know; I just press the buttons and sometimes they die.

Gichan

Smash Champion
I should have elaborated on the airdodging. What i meant is that we airdodge into them when we are landing to recover. Airdodging into them to gain ground and get a grab is a great approach when used right. Watch your match again and/or catch mine and you'll undersnd what i mean. It's a general bad habit of players, we want that centre of the stage, but it leads to bad moves like airdodging into them when they are charging a smash near the ledge.

I got some questions though.

1. Is it possibe to dash and grab their nair/fair or will it always push my shield?

2. Is it a guaranteed fair out of shield when they fair or was Raziek failing?

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I should have elaborated on the airdodging. What i meant is that we airdodge into them when we are landing to recover. Airdodging into them to gain ground and get a grab is a great approach when used right. Watch your match again and/or catch mine and you'll undersnd what i mean. It's a general bad habit of players, we want that centre of the stage, but it leads to bad moves like airdodging into them when they are charging a smash near the ledge.

I got some questions though.

1. Is it possibe to dash and grab their nair/fair or will it always push my shield?

2. Is it a guaranteed fair out of shield when they fair or was Raziek failing?
No1 can grab a nair on shield. Unless it's THAT badly spaced.

2. If they ff the fair not so much. Warios jumping is 7 frames iirc so shield would be able to come out in time. Idk about if they full hop. I'd assume so.

Top Bottom