• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
interesting, but unless its a really campy 1v1 where your partner still has two stocks, i don't see someone being able to survive 2 minutes against two other people without losing a stock.

A~Kid/ToonethLinkage

Wants His Own Custom Title
Would you guys recommend having tap jump on or off for Wario. lol I don't know Wario and I wanna get into him cause I have SOOOO many characters to use. Toon Link is my main (the one I won't change, the one that will ALWAYS be my main) and my backups are Falco, Marth, Snake,Lucas, Pit, and I wanna get into Wario too. So could ya help me? Maybe even send me links to useful threads?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I have tap jump On. It's mostly personal preference.

lil cj

Smash Lord
I have a question...
well actually its based on opinion lol

If the whole MK thing works out and he gets banned
do you think there will be an increase in Wario mains?
So far there has already been a huge number of Diddy's
and they have placing high in tournies with MK banned
Why not Wario??
As a Wario user myself, I think it would great to see more Wario's:)

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to add to my collection of moves and I'm looking into tires right now. I've been able to use hit stun from the tires to get off a fsmash, but sometimes I can get them to bounce back for another smash. I don't understand why that is.

So does anyone have a good understanding of the tire physics? Does Z-Dropping or C-stick down throwing effect the bounce back? Do the big tire and little tire have the same properties? Does the bounce back depend on the opponents damage? Does the height of the tire at the moment of impact make a difference? How come sometimes (fresh) the tire does 9 damage, sometimes 10 and other times 11?

If someone could answer some of this that would be cool. I know it's a lot so whatever someone doesn't know I don't mind trying to figure it out on my own. I'll even post the results.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Wario has hard time avoiding grabs in FD. But are there any matchups which FD is a good stage or not the most recomended ban?

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
i actually happen to love fd, i almost prefer it against any character, except against snake probably. In my opinion the added options with the platforms gone make it easier to approach just about every character, it also takes away other characters being able to camp under them to make your approach limited.

Take ddd for example. People would think battlefield as the best stage for example, but this can't be right. The ddd can hide under a platform which takes your fh dair and falling bite options away. What your left with is poking fairs, which can be countered. Then, when they do get a grab, its guaranteed that they can take you to the edge where there ISNT a platform to pull off the upsmash/uptilt. So what to you gain from battlefield? i don't really see any pros to it. At least on fd you have tons of room to mix up your approach game. Smashville in this matchup is a double edged sword, the platform can help you avoid uptilt/usmash, but it can also make the ddd's recovery much easier, giving them options.

So yeah, imo, i would prefer the extra room to apprach vs most characters rather than the protection from the grab releases. Only exceptions would probably be vs falco (need to camp to avoid the cg), diddy (does better here as a char), and snake (with grenades out, he can control where you land too easily, and you'll get grabbed more than you'd like).

Gichan

Smash Champion
Yeah, I've been learning to loovve FD as Wario. Don't know why, it just seems to work now. before it was alll about platforms, but it seems that it is now limiting us because people have caught on to hiding under platforms. thing is though, falling bite from under a platform is pretty **** beast, that can totally mind**** people.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
Smashville is always, always better than FD.

Smashkng: FD is a recommended ban for Diddy. Most other characters there is a counterpick better for banning.
Depending on the tournament/ban, you could take Metaknight there as it doesn't give him any advantages.

Dilly04

Smash Cadet
Is it weird that I enjoy playing on Yoshi's? Hahaha.

I hate FD really... Go to Smashville, music is cooler and everything.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I dislike FD against anyone with a fast ground speed or very strong camp game. By now most people know that the best way to handle Wario is to run away from him to make space... and very few stages have as much unhindered space as FD does. Not to mention it's horizontal blast zones are very far from one another, so hitting in opposite directions means ridiculous survivability. People that kill off the top don't really have this hindrance.

I do prefer it against a handful of characters that have quick disjointed hitboxes that pierce through platforms, though.

Blue Rogue

Smash Ace
NNID
ValiantVyse
3DS FC
4527-9345-8740
I SD'd in an important match once because I didn't know the bike went through water...

How exactly long does it take for the bike to "respawn" after destroying it?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
ZSS, Snake, Pikachu, GW (only b/c of bucket braking should you happen to fart him lengthwise), non-Wolf spacies, Sheik, Sonic, etc.

Basically those charas with fast movement or high survival options, or that have a good quick projectile as well, b/c they can and will run away aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall day.

I like Marth and Peach on FD though, for example, b/c they can't camp fairs/upairs under platforms, etc.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
i can agree with snake/falco/maybe pika. but the others im not sure about.

ZSS does move fast, but i feel like wario wouldn't really have too much of a problem catching up to her in the air, and since her main zoning tool (side b) is pretty easily maneuvered around, i wouldn't see fd really hurting me there.

gw you would do much better against on fd than battlefield. Don't give gw the platforms to hide under and abuse with the nair/uair etc. Even if he might live a little longer on fd, you need the room to get around the disjointed hitboxes imo.

i've never played a campy fox, or a good one at all, not really sure how that would go. same goes for shiek i guess. I know these chars can run fast, but they move very slowly in the air, so wouldn't you catch up to them quickly when they get cornered?

sonic i can understand because his ground speed is just that fast, where his slow air speed would make up for it.

someone you didn't mention whom i would think would put up a better fight on fd, would be yoshi. Decent ground speed, fastest air speed, and annoying projectiles, i'd rather be on battlefield for that one.

Flayl

Smash Hero
What do you do against G&W's NAir? I saw a few of the PhantomX VS Hylian videos and it seems he only hit Hylian when he wasn't NAir'ing when it was the logical move to make. Either Hylian got bored of NAir'ing or decided to take a risk, I don't know exactly.

So what is the theoretical counter move, for Wario, against a G&W NAir'ing all day long?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
i can agree with snake/falco/maybe pika. but the others im not sure about.

ZSS does move fast, but i feel like wario wouldn't really have too much of a problem catching up to her in the air, and since her main zoning tool (side b) is pretty easily maneuvered around, i wouldn't see fd really hurting me there.

gw you would do much better against on fd than battlefield. Don't give gw the platforms to hide under and abuse with the nair/uair etc. Even if he might live a little longer on fd, you need the room to get around the disjointed hitboxes imo.

i've never played a campy fox, or a good one at all, not really sure how that would go. same goes for shiek i guess. I know these chars can run fast, but they move very slowly in the air, so wouldn't you catch up to them quickly when they get cornered?

sonic i can understand because his ground speed is just that fast, where his slow air speed would make up for it.

someone you didn't mention whom i would think would put up a better fight on fd, would be yoshi. Decent ground speed, fastest air speed, and annoying projectiles, i'd rather be on battlefield for that one.
ZSS zones you with bairs and upairs when running, her SIde B should rarely see use against Wario... it also facilitates grabs.

Fox and Sheik have moves that will beat us out even when cornered (Fox's upsmash/utilt > our aerials, and Sheik's ftilt and uptilt and even many of her aerials are the same), meaning that when we do finally corner them, our punishing is still difficult to do, so it's better to not give them the ADDED advantage of running space for camping. So it's not like it's gamebreaking for them, but it does make their job easier and give them access to more damage for low risk.

I've never really had issues with GW on BF, b/c GW's best move vs Wario is nair, which they can't do if the Wario himself is under the platform. I've lost more rounds to FD letting GWs survive wafts than I have to the added annoyance of working around BF platforms... however, I won't rule that one out altogether. Notice how I said the only advantage I'd give to GW on FD is the bucket braking survivability.

Yoshi is better on FD as long as standing infinites are banned. Eggs can hit you from below if you're standing on a platform, his invincible upsmash also hits through platforms, as does his uptilt, and het gets more opportunites for upairs on platformed stages as well. the huge drawback on his fsmash is also aided by having the safety of platforms. Yoshi's egg throws are also punishable if you are a good distance away, but that's not the case if he's hiding under a platform as he lobs them. BF is superior in this matchup only b/c of a little extra cover from grab releases.

EDIT: You can punish GW nairs with upangled ftilts, shiedgrabs, and DACUS. Hylian wasn't nairing all day b/c if he gets predictable it gets a LOT more punishable.

Gichan

Smash Champion
I hate G&W's nair...Can you dash to shield and grab? or is the hitbox of the nair too disjointed to cover the range to grab?

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
ZSS zones you with bairs and upairs when running, her SIde B should rarely see use against Wario... it also facilitates grabs.

Fox and Sheik have moves that will beat us out even when cornered (Fox's upsmash/utilt > our aerials, and Sheik's ftilt and uptilt and even many of her aerials are the same), meaning that when we do finally corner them, our punishing is still difficult to do, so it's better to not give them the ADDED advantage of running space for camping. So it's not like it's gamebreaking for them, but it does make their job easier and give them access to more damage for low risk.

I've never really had issues with GW on BF, b/c GW's best move vs Wario is nair, which they can't do if the Wario himself is under the platform. I've lost more rounds to FD letting GWs survive wafts than I have to the added annoyance of working around BF platforms... however, I won't rule that one out altogether. Notice how I said the only advantage I'd give to GW on FD is the bucket braking survivability.

Yoshi is better on FD as long as standing infinites are banned. Eggs can hit you from below if you're standing on a platform, his invincible upsmash also hits through platforms, as does his uptilt, and het gets more opportunites for upairs on platformed stages as well. the huge drawback on his fsmash is also aided by having the safety of platforms. Yoshi's egg throws are also punishable if you are a good distance away, but that's not the case if he's hiding under a platform as he lobs them. BF is superior in this matchup only b/c of a little extra cover from grab releases.

EDIT: You can punish GW nairs with upangled ftilts, shiedgrabs, and DACUS. Hylian wasn't nairing all day b/c if he gets predictable it gets a LOT more punishable.
Zss's bair is a pretty specific hitbox and doesn't last very long, same for the upair except that sweeps a bit making it a little better. Essentially since she doesn't have any good lingering hitboxes she won't be very much trouble, i woudn't be too worried about zss's zoning game compared to yours, i don't think she can run THAT well. we'll see though, i'll play dazwa at snes to find out.

What you say about yoshi is true, but the platforms give you more room to move around w/o worrying about eggs since the platforms can still interrupt the eggs on the way down giving you some places to hide etc.

Good points about fox/shiek, i don't really have enough exp vs them to really debate that.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
Yea I have a question for you guys.

Did you know Jigglypuff's Final Smash can KO Warioman?

*In Wario voice* Wah-hahahahahahahhaha wha-ha ha ha ha ha!*

ok, srs question, is there a way to use b-air without landing lag?

Pete434

Smash Cadet
I asked this before but no one answered me, which way do you Smash DI G&W b-air to be able to punish him? Thanks in advance :)

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Smash DI straight up. Counterpick ROB to any small stage. I would say yoshis or smashville

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Take ROB anywhere that isn't Battlefield or Halberd (***** kills vertically really well, and Bfield is just good for him to keep us out), pretty much.

Waymas

Smash Journeyman
can anyone giv me sum tips against sheik :p kause i dont see the sheik vs wario matchup

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
for gw its more dependent on which direction he's moving. If sh bairs right towards you, then you can di through the turtle in 1-2 hits, easily punishing with a fsmash/fart what have you. If he does it in place (sh), then ya, up is the way to go, you can punish with a fart/dair/most aerials if you work it right. Retreating bairs? don't bother, just smash di away, you won't get in.

For the most part, you just want to go in the opposite direction that hes moving, that will get you 'through' the hitbox the fastest = more time to punish.

for rob, i would prefer fd (lol as we just discussed), then smashville. For cp's brinstar, maybe frigate.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Is Snake a good secondary for Wario? The problem probably is DDD, but I suck with lightweights except maybe Falco, they are not my type of characters.

Top Bottom