• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

B.Mack

Smash Ace
a tip against Falco is if you get CG'd and spiked and you cant SDI onto the stage, please please PLEASE dont be predictable with your bike jump because Falco WILL attempt to double spike you and if you lose your bikejump, ur dead.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Hey, im trying to figure out the counterpick for all characters so im going to all the Q&A threads of all the characters and posting this. I would like for you to give me your characters worst MU and worst stage so it saves me a lot of time researching it myself and testing stuff.

I would really appreciate it if you all helped me out.

Hope to get some answers pretty soon.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
just go to every characters' matchup thread. no stage is really bad for Wario, it is character dependent.

worst matchup is D3.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
hey >.<
need help plz
Work with your bike
Tires interrupt a lot of aerial approaches
Wait for his jumps to end and react efficiently
Bike throw/bouncing is good pressure
Shield grab
Timing is neccessary for fighting his bairs with your weaving in and out aerials (fair, clap)
Bait smash attacks or grabs. Punish.
Camp like hell with tires.
Kirby likes to stay in his shield like Olimar when he's grounded, chomp is a good option when coming down on him.
Practice. Practice. Practice.

This matchup requires a bit of practice but its easy once you've gotten it down. I've played Y.b.M. and Chudat I believe in bracket.

Worst Matchup :dedede:

Next Worst Matchup :metaknight:

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
I really do not understand how everyone has so much trouble with D3. All you have to do is know the matchup, and it's only slightly in D3's favor. Watch my matches. Get grabbed even less than I do, and you've got it made in the shade. Seriously just learn the matchup and stop whining about it.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
regardless, I still believe Dedede is harder to play against MK, you don't have to worry about getting grabbed or grab release-killed by the bat.

Labernash

Smash Lord
Screw Kirby characters. They're only good because their creator made this game. Lolololol

Exdeath

Smash Master
I was playing Wario against Meta Knight on Brinstar (no wind boxes), and I randomly got stuck on the orbs when I was landing and couldn't move (I got hit with a fully charged Fsmash before I could try to shield/air dodge). What happened?

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
IF A Wario main stayed and didn't switch to someone else, How would he fight a Yoshi and which ways of approaching would he go with, Plus which stage is his best.

And maybe a list of Pros/Cons of Wario vs Yoshi could work too.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
regardless, I still believe Dedede is harder to play against MK, you don't have to worry about getting grabbed or grab release-killed by the bat.
Yes, but you do have to worry about very quick intangible hitbox with very little lag, plus a tornado that Wario has very limited options against. I'd venture to say D3 and MK are equally advantaged against Wario - 60:40 in their favor. And if our worst MU is 60:40 with us at the disadvantage, that's damn good in my book.

Lol Labernash xD too true haha!

Exdeath

Smash Master
What..? What position was Wario stuck in? Like was he on his back, standing up normally, in the middle of an animation, etc?
It looked like a normal air animation. I was just drifting back to the stage and the only input(s) I made were using the control stick to DI.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
IF A Wario main stayed and didn't switch to someone else, How would he fight a Yoshi and which ways of approaching would he go with, Plus which stage is his best.

And maybe a list of Pros/Cons of Wario vs Yoshi could work too.

Yoshi's pivot grab is really awesome in this matchup. Not only does it have little lag, but it is retreating and can lead into a grab release. To combat this, the Wario player has to be smart with his approaches. If he is predictable, he has a higher chance of getting pivot grabbed, simple as that. Fullhop approaches, paired with good mixups and dodges can sucessfully get past Yoshi's defenses.

I have a set against Firefly, a great Yoshi player up in the Wario video thread. I'm fairly sure he knows the Wario matchup quite well, you may be able to learn something by watching them :)

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Please list a few examples, my good friend Snack Attack. I would like to know how it is more than 60:40 (maybe 65:35 on FD).

ensane

Smash Apprentice
What are the uses of Wario's DACUS? I can't seem to approach with it... is it to space? Also, do you have any tips for using tap jump and Wario? I can't play with it off, but my performance with Wario suffers more than any other character.

(S!C)

Smash Journeyman
Work with your bike
Tires interrupt a lot of aerial approaches
Wait for his jumps to end and react efficiently
Bike throw/bouncing is good pressure
Shield grab
Timing is neccessary for fighting his bairs with your weaving in and out aerials (fair, clap)
Bait smash attacks or grabs. Punish.
Camp like hell with tires.
Kirby likes to stay in his shield like Olimar when he's grounded, chomp is a good option when coming down on him.
Practice. Practice. Practice.

This matchup requires a bit of practice but its easy once you've gotten it down. I've played Y.b.M. and Chudat I believe in bracket.

Worst Matchup :dedede:

Next Worst Matchup :metaknight:

finally someone who pays attention to me, thank you krystedez ;)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
What are the uses of Wario's DACUS? I can't seem to approach with it... is it to space? Also, do you have any tips for using tap jump and Wario? I can't play with it off, but my performance with Wario suffers more than any other character.
Most players will SDI from grab-release, so it's not very safe to do against Meta Knight or Diddy Kong from a grab-release unless you're a specific distance from the edge to throw them off or have a wall to prevent movement. You can also use it to punish from far away, if Diddy is getting too comfortable with banana pulls or they airdodge to the ground, because they have no time to SDI if only the last part hits.

Wario gets a pretty solid distance from it, though. I figured since characters tend to shield Wario's initial poke or just throw out a safe aerial (if they're good in the air, like ZSS or Dedede), getting close and doing a DACUS to go straight through them could give us another nice option for running away, just because of it's sheer speed and the number of things that the opponent has to already watch out for.

As far as tap jump goes, what is it that troubles you with Wario? I've always used tap jump on, so it's never been a problem for me.

B.Mack

Smash Ace
MY OPINION:

D3 is 60:40, 65:35 on FD or Castle Seige

MK is 55:45, maybe worse on stages like Battlefield

Lets consider both macthups at high level play... MK actually has to WORK in this matchup. MK gets killed way earlier than D3 does. D3 doesnt have to work nearly as hard... a large part of D3's metagame is pretty much just fishing for grabs, so they are damn good at it. when one grab can net D3 50% guaranteed, thats not a good sign. think about it, what gamebreaking techniques do we actually have over D3 in this matchup? his bair beats our entire moveset. are you serious? its absolutely our worst matchup.

MK at top level is difficult to deal with, and I wont argue against that. but it does not compare to how frustratingly easy it is for that fat f*cking penguin to handle the sexy Frenchman.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
MY OPINION:

D3 is 60:40, 65:35 on FD or Castle Seige

MK is 55:45, maybe worse on stages like Battlefield

Lets consider both macthups at high level play... MK actually has to WORK in this matchup. MK gets killed way earlier than D3 does. D3 doesnt have to work nearly as hard... a large part of D3's metagame is pretty much just fishing for grabs, so they are damn good at it. when one grab can net D3 50% guaranteed, thats not a good sign. think about it, what gamebreaking techniques do we actually have over D3 in this matchup? his bair beats our entire moveset. are you serious? its absolutely our worst matchup.

MK at top level is difficult to deal with, and I wont argue against that. but it does not compare to how frustratingly easy it is for that fat f*cking penguin to handle the sexy Frenchman.
Dedede is among the worst characters for catching Wario, and low damage strings are relatively easy against Dedede. No matter how hard a person "has to work," I would argue that Dedede must work harder when he is losing than Wario must if he is losing. His B-Air is fantastic, but he can only stick it out and hope you run into it. There are definitely bigger holes in Dedede's defenses than there are in Meta Knight's, and Meta Knight is much better at holding a lead than Dedede, and Meta Knight isn't in serious trouble when Wario gets the lead, either.

Castle Siege really isn't so bad. The platforms help a great deal (Dedede shouldn't be able to touch you AT ALL on the second transformation), and while we're there, I can't think of a counterpick stage that works heavily in Dedede's favor (Halberd, maybe...? I just hate that stage), whereas Meta Knight's stuff works pretty well for him, even if Wario likes Brinstar and Rainbow Cruise, himself. Meta Knight's has options outside of a huge grab and B-Air that make him harder to predict and deal with in higher levels of play.

Meta Knight is pretty horrid for us if he knows how to wall us (and he is definitely more than capable of it). 40-60 sounds about right, and it only gets worse with counterpicks. At least we can make Dedede more manageable on our counterpick.

(S!C)

Smash Journeyman
i prefer against ddd pokemon stadium
i cp fd against diddys
and i dacus all day

problem? :trollface: xD

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Say the people with no good D3s in their region...
It\'s not that I think Dedede isn\'t a rough matchup--I just think that Meta Knight really is that ridiculous, is all.

Then again, DDD destroys us on his CPs.
What stages are those? Ban FD, then what does he have left that is particularly debilitating?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Yoshi\'s, for one.

Delfino/RC as well, but less so. YI is even worse than FD.
Delfino and RC both give you a lot of room to run around. Yoshi\'s worse than FD is arguable; the platform can be an asset or a liability at times.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Dedede is among the worst characters for catching Wario, and low damage strings are relatively easy against Dedede. No matter how hard a person "has to work," I would argue that Dedede must work harder when he is losing than Wario must if he is losing. His B-Air is fantastic, but he can only stick it out and hope you run into it-
I stopped reading there.

Atomsk says Hi.

I'm done losing to high-level Dededes when there's no good Dedede's in my region, I'll just go Pit and gay it up. Metaknight is and always has been a prominent opponent in every region and we have some of the best here in the MW, so I definitely think I might be a bit biased when describing my matchup difficulties.

I can beat Dedede. It's just that Dedede naturally has an easier time than most of the cast getting a lead (grabs, stock-taking by grab-release), being a fatass (not freaking dying to anything but to fart and fresh clap at middle of stage at maybe 130) and in general a scary huge hitbox monster.

I know we have things that can beat Dedede, and I will stay Wario against Dedede when I get to play someone who uses him well on a regular basis. Otherwise I'm just gunna take the easy way out and use Pit. In other words, every Dedede I've lost to I've either lost because I made a grave mistake or two (SDing against Coney) or just got completely annhilated and didn't learn anything to be able to combat it (Atomsk).

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
It's not so much that I know how to play the match-up, I just know that his Dedede in general uses bair and actually knows you're gunna run into it, not just stick it out and hope/pray. That thing is like a wolf's bair only 20 times better with slightly less spammability. He can and will knock you silly.

I really wish I could play more Dededes like him and the Conester, it would help me build some confidence in the matchup other than LOLOL face back to edge of stage = no chain grab LOLOL

BTW, Reflex I meant no offense really I just think that this matchup is the one that warios must learn if they want to get anywhere in bracket, and if you've got it down, you're set. MK is second nature because he's always available to play. I agree that MK and Dedede are at least evenly hard, but it's more natural for me to believe that the penguin has an easier time because of the gimmicks available to him due to WARIO'S character, not due to his own advantages like MK has (which we've overcome quite a bit in bracket)

For me, I'm just not reading well into the matchup enough during what little time I get to play it. I need to quit whining about it and find someone in my area that mains him that isn't just playing this game casually.. (or go to more tourneys that have D3's... lol)

Top Bottom