• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Can I get a Neutral B up in here?

Gonna take the bar with this character and utilt it.

(sorry, I couldn't resist. Last one I promise, the rest go to social where it belongs)

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Invincibility frames/super armor. Waht ever you want to call it.

If you hit Wario between frame 8-11 he will have super armor and will not go anywhere, but will still take the damage.

Wrath the Furious

Smash Rookie
Ello! Wario main here that apparently needs to be bitten by an established Wario main... maybe at pound? Anyway I'm trying to decide on a good second. Falco is my second best, and covers D3 and Peach, but I really hate playing as him anymore. I'm pretty tired of laser spamming. I really like Marth, ZSS and Toon Link, but they all seem fairly complicated for just a second. Is there somebody else fun that I could use that would cover D3 and Peach decently? Should I just suck it up and learn one of those 3? What do you guys think/ who do you guys use?

P.S. I refuse to use MK. I know, I just eliminated my best option...

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Just learn the matchups dude, seriously. If you play them right, it's no more difficult than picking up a secondary. Better in fact, because you will improve with Wario across the board instead of splitting up your practice with another character.

I've gone even with Praxis (used to be the best peach) in every MM we've played. He claimed that he found out how to **** Wario (Bair walls, utilts and grab releases), but I found ways around those tactics and improved as a player.

Wrath the Furious

Smash Rookie
It was more of an "I don't have fun playing against D3" thing than a "I don't think I can beat him" thing. Peach I can deal with, I just thought if I'm considering picking someone up to handle D3, I might as well grab someone who could beat her too. D3 was my biggest reason to want to grab a second. Grab, grab, grab, grab, grab to grab release to whatever is pretty boring (and frustrating) to play against.

I think I will take your advice and just stick with solo Wario, though. If it's only one match-up out of 38(?) I can tough it out. Learning another character seems way too overwhelming the more I think about it. Thanks!

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Ahh I see, you're definitely not the first Wario player to have trouble with D3 :p I got pretty lucky, because my good buddys Moochero and t1mmy both play D3, so I know the matchup like the back of my hand. My advice is to practice, practice, practice! Even playing against a CPU D3 for 99 stocks is good, because you get the feel of your hits on the character, weight of the character, gimping his recovery and stuff like that.

I like to go aggro on D3. Hard to pull off right, but if you do it perfectly then D3 has no breathing room. Follow up, follow up, follow up is the name of the game. Bite is great because it punishes them if they stay in their shield, and tires are awesome because they extend your range an amazing amount! Above all, don't get predictable because that's how you get grabbed. We all know it sucks to get grabbed by D3 heh heh xD

B.Mack

Smash Ace
Olimar ***** D3, but Olimar is Peach's easiest matchup (excluding loltiers)

I'd say just stick with Falco as your secondary, or maybe use Diddy(my secondary).

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
My new strategy against D3 involves camping, breaking the bike then going aggro with the tires. Tires give you a lot more reach, make not getting grabbed easier, and all around make things better in the matchup. Here's a tip: Nair is extremely risky on D3's shield. You can't trick him into whiffing a grab with it... cuz you get grabbed xD his arms are tooo long.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Well yeah, regardless of how you space it you're going to get grabbed. That only leaves you with mixing up between crossups and landing in front of him, which is fairly high risk low reward.

You can FH it though.

Blue Rogue

Smash Ace
NNID
ValiantVyse
3DS FC
4527-9345-8740
Seriously how do you make the bike heaven-jump, kill, and not just spin while flipping it? So want to get it off in a match, I have some ideas...

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
My buddy Kyle0Li killed a Yoshi player with the bike flip in a ladder match xD he is toooo good with that bike haha! Got the replay saved too.

I've done bike flips on the SV platform, shot up really freakin high, then come back down to land on the platform as it's coming back the opposite way. I could only smile and watch, more testing is needed before I can be sure how to shoot up high 100% of the time.

Asa

Smash Hero
olimar doesn't **** DDD

it's a solid advantage, but not like, a counter matchup lol

Blue Rogue

Smash Ace
NNID
ValiantVyse
3DS FC
4527-9345-8740
Hmm, if you have to be near the edge of a plat that's a bummer, maybe i can catch someone messing up while planking eh.
Flipping on distant planet towards the hill part is stupid, Wario starts to flip upside down while inside the hill... Stall possibility?

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
I have a question, I don't know if the answer's been given 100 times before or not. Does anyone know how to 100% crash the bike instantly? No edges or platforms involved, just pull it out and crash it.

I think I may have figured it out. Akin to platform dropping out of shield, it involves buffering backwards out of the bike pull JUST at the right time or pressure on the control stick. Really not sure though, help would be appreciated :)

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
When do you guys like to fsmash? I gotta admit, I have a lot harder time using Wario's fsmash than Bowser's. I'm used to broken range. XD

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
When do you guys like to fsmash? I gotta admit, I have a lot harder time using Wario's fsmash than Bowser's. I'm used to broken range. XD
bait an airdodge then fsmash their landing

or if they are by the ledge and theres 0 risk of punishment (because they'll be pushed onto the lege)

or to punish certain moves

you just gotta play to learn the times to use it

B.Mack

Smash Ace
I find that I'm getting ounished for fsmashes a lot less than I used to so I guess that means I'm getting smarter at using it... I dont really know when I use it though, I just have a feel of when I can hit with an fsmash and what the risk/reward is in several situations...

Padô

Smash Lord
Well, there are some situations against some characters which are pretty good to use FSmash. Like after spotdodging Snake's FTilt 2nd hit FSmash or if you spotdodged Olimars Grab, Lucarios FSmash, mostly all the grabs in the game that aren't pivoted (but you can punsih with all the other moves Wario has), I pulled out some dumb Superarmored FSmahes on TLs Zair too.

NOTE: DO NOT USE THIS TO RACK UP DAMAGE, YOU WILL MISS IT AND TAKE THE % BY DOING THIS STUPID FLAW.

The only ways to rack damage with it is probably after a NAir in lower %s or after a Jab if they don't DI.

The other situations are pretty much baits and reads, airdodge/spotdodge/roll baits, powershields, after DThrows and during people landings is probably the best way to do it, if you are both in the ground do not try it you are getting powershielded and punished specially against highly defensive characters which will shield a lot. I like pushing people to the ledge with it also, but that's because I'm ********.

Do not try it while Snake is landing with the Granade pull position he'll powershield you and you WILL explode his granade.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Jab/nair > fsmash isn't even guaranteed on a lot of chars.

Well, jab is at the right percentages, but nair > fsmash seems literally impossible on, say, Falco.

I've never been able to jab>fsmash Falcon either.

Padô

Smash Lord

Well, jab is at the right percentages, but nair > fsmash seems literally impossible on, say, Falco.

Nothing works on MK. But that's probably what I said on certain characters :(

jab stuff is always dependant on bad SDI and NAir is kinda also.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
See my "Shinobistic Strike" for a guaranteed way to **** predictable MKs with Fsmash super armor frames. Super armor is one of my favorite qualities about Wario's Fsmash hands down. If someone is predictable with jab->grab combos, you can SA Fsmash through their jab and they will probably be DI'ing terribly. It works against good players too, since when do you expect someone to just pure muscle through your attack? Not many can do such things.

The best thing ever is in Wario dittos, when 2 Warios Fsmash each other and super armor each other. He's a beast for sure ;)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
How do you guys feel about Dash Attack? I think it has some potential at high percentages due to the lingering hitboxes and the sliding movement.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I go for the dash attack on shields.

Knowing there is a long cooldown people decide to punish it once they see it hit their shield, but thats when you hit upC.

Somewhat risky but most people ive played fall for it.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It also makes your hitbox smaller, so you can avoid some attacks that people use to protect their landing, hit with the late hitbox, and follow up with something.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
If you hit with the very last part of the dash attack hitbox, it can have a kind of sexkick property where you can grab them after it hits. It also punishes spotdodges because of the lasting hitbox xD

Dash attack is one of Wario's fastest ground options. It's great if you need a quick hit and don't have time for anything else!

A really fast way to break the bike on the ground is to incorporate a dash attack -> Usmash into your string. Does a lot of damage, but best to use this as the first hits since the Usmash sends the tires flying fast in crazy directions!

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Well, landing the late hitbox and actually having a decent frame advantage doesn't happen until stupid percents. Worse, it requires kind of a hard read.

Hard reads should net you fsmashes :p

B.Mack

Smash Ace
Dash attack is only good for hitting opponents on the ledge in my opinion, and it is VERY good at doing that.

the other use of dash attack is of course, DACUS. this move has almost no significance apart from those two uses(and well, times when you just need to throw out your fastest move to beat the opponent)

I have an idea of an exercise we should all try:
Start a game with a CPU(doesnt matter what level) and try to win the match using only dtilt and utilt. for every time that you use a killmove and dont kill, suicide as punishment.
I thought of this a few days ago and I think if we all do it we will get a feel of what we can incorporate dtilt, dash attack and utilt into in our game, what moves they possibly combo into, etc.

For example, last month or so I was messing about and I found that if you landed a SHFFuair at low %, it combos into the late hitbox of utilt, which combos into ANYTHING. I think only Fox can get to the ground fast enough to shield, but for any other character, that late hitbox has SO little knockback that it combos at almost any % and will put the opponent like, INSIDE Wario. the only moves that could stop you from comboing are frame 3 aerials(inb4 Marth's UpB) and the person has to be expecting it.

B.Mack

Smash Ace

i find that nair > fsmash is only really guaranteed if nair2 knocks them ever so slightly offstage... but it happens more often than you'd think.

other times, your opponent can just powershield it so ur better off grabbing(which is guaranteed) unless you get 'em offstage. then you fsmash.

BTW guys... during quite a few rapid jabs, you can SDI down, powershield and shieldgrab or dash attack... or even dtilt.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Wario's Dash Attack has 2 properties to it Masky, not just one.

1. Fast startup (Frame 5)
2. Long lasting hitbox.

Sure there are more useful things to do, but you have to think about move staling, mixups, looking awesome, stuff like that. Using and finding great uses for moves like Baron Mack improves your knowledge and overall utility with your character. It's called improving the metagame ;)

Top Bottom