• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Wario Q&A and Help Thread - What's Wario Land

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
We all know Warios dash attack has a tripping property at the end of it. It usually sends them backward, however sometimes it sends them forward instead. How do I this consistently? It would net you plently of free upsmashes if we could figure it out

https://youtu.be/JTf1DUVsvUQ?t=148

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I guess this is more of a suggestion, but is there a comprehensive list of what Wario can and can't eat?

EDIT: nevermind, i'm just blind

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
We all know Warios dash attack has a tripping property at the end of it. It usually sends them backward, however sometimes it sends them forward instead. How do I this consistently? It would net you plently of free upsmashes if we could figure it out

https://youtu.be/JTf1DUVsvUQ?t=148
Moving this to the Q&A thread.

The trip always sends people toward you. Peach didn't slide far enough toward Wario to pass through him, is all, likely as a result of her character model or her trip animation (it's "harder" to pass through an opponent in Smash 4 than in previous Smash games), as well as it hitting her at max range. Either way, the frame advantage doesn't appear to be good enough to get more than a grab or Waft, and a Waft would hit regardless of how far they slide.

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
Moving this to the Q&A thread.

The trip always sends people toward you. Peach didn't slide far enough toward Wario to pass through him, is all, likely as a result of her character model or her trip animation (it's "harder" to pass through an opponent in Smash 4 than in previous Smash games), as well as it hitting her at max range. Either way, the frame advantage doesn't appear to be good enough to get more than a grab or Waft, and a Waft would hit regardless of how far they slide.
So you can waft out of sour dash attack into a true combo? Would I have to run at them or what? Could I hit them with the tip of the hitbox at the latest point to do it 100% of the time?

I tripped a CPU like that in training and my upsmash counted as a true combo

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
So you can waft out of sour dash attack into a true combo? Would I have to run at them or what? Could I hit them with the tip of the hitbox at the latest point to do it 100% of the time?

I tripped a CPU like that in training and my upsmash counted as a true combo
I don't have the frame data for Dash Attack or for a trip, so I'm not sure what combos, but it doesn't look like there's much frame advantage on a Dash Attack trip (though I almost never hit with the very end, which would maximize frame advantage, though that's nearly impossible to do in a real fight), which is why I tend to follow up Dash Attacks with another Dash Attack (it's his fastest ground move, active on Frame 4).

If you have a second controller, set a Training dummy to Control and hold Left or Right after you trip them. It's easiest to do with the "1/2x Speed, Hold L to advance" setting. That's how I do a lot of my testing.

Adrian Marin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5000-2987-6227
Dtilt to Dtilt to short hop half Waft works very consistently as a frame trap at 70% and higher.

During the first stock, DO NOT use the fart. Once your opponent is on their second stock, you'll have had time to notice their habits and predict a good time to do a fart once they're at 60% or higher. With characters who dont have hitboxes on their recoveries, Wario can easily kill with a fully charged fart. The fart is pretty op...
I feel like it's fairly easy to bait an air dodge and half waft opponents in the first stock. I don't see why Wario shouldn't use his fart at the first stock.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Need some tips on fighting Shiek, she seems to be the only match-up I really struggle with. I usually run 1111 when playing friendlies with the Shiek player in my crew. I usually run 1213 (still need to get Floral Waft) as my custom set but the fast bike is easily snuffed out by her needles so I'm not confident with it.

What are my best options against Shiek, and what should I do to approach?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If you're going customs, I'd say 1112 is your best bet. The Bike will eat all Needles if you have it available, and sending it toward her in neutral is not a bad idea. Rose Waft is great because you don't have to worry so much about missing, due to the enormous hitbox.

The best option is not to approach--Seriously, why are you approaching? You lose most exchanges and find it difficult to trade much. If you feel you have to stick something out, try mixing up Bike ride hitboxes, catching some forward movement with Neutral-B, or sticking out a quick Dash Attack. You avoid Needles better than most characters, so you can play to your strengths rather well here. Just wait for Wafts.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
If you're going customs, I'd say 1112 is your best bet. The Bike will eat all Needles if you have it available, and sending it toward her in neutral is not a bad idea. Rose Waft is great because you don't have to worry so much about missing, due to the enormous hitbox.

The best option is not to approach--Seriously, why are you approaching? You lose most exchanges and find it difficult to trade much. If you feel you have to stick something out, try mixing up Bike ride hitboxes, catching some forward movement with Neutral-B, or sticking out a quick Dash Attack. You avoid Needles better than most characters, so you can play to your strengths rather well here. Just wait for Wafts.
Thanks! Probably should have worded the question "Does Wario have any approach options against Shiek?", that would have sounded less dumb.

Also how large is Rose Wafts hitbox? I've seen that thing so some crazy things (mostly from you), and I am not able to really test it cause I still need to get it.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Thanks! Probably should have worded the question "Does Wario have any approach options against Shiek?", that would have sounded less dumb.

Also how large is Rose Wafts hitbox? I've seen that thing so some crazy things (mostly from you), and I am not able to really test it cause I still need to get it.
These two pictures are the frame before it hits, and then the first frame the Rose Waft hitbox is active. The explosion ring in the second picture (minus the "spikes") is about the size of the hitbox:

Truly, truly, truly outrageous.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
That's insane!! Doing this on the Bike still increases the hitbox duration right?

(Sorry for bombarding you with questions)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
That's insane!! Doing this on the Bike still increases the hitbox duration right?

(Sorry for bombarding you with questions)
Yes. It won't freeze quite as long as a full regular Waft because it doesn't deal as much damage, but there's still a 2.0x hitlag multiplier on the full Rose Waft, and it still does stupid damage, so it will still linger for ages.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Yes. It won't freeze quite as long as a full regular Waft because it doesn't deal as much damage, but there's still a 2.0x hitlag multiplier on the full Waft, and it still does stupid damage, so it will still linger for ages.
Thanks for the help! Guess it's back to farming customs.

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman

I feel like wario is one of the few characters that doesn't struggle vs shiek

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132

Probably the best showcase of the Rose Wafts hitbox. Now imagine the edge-guarding possibilities with a Bike down!

Last edited:

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
Hey i have a few questions about wario if anybody can help me

1. Does he have any true or good combo
2. How is he competively ? Does he have good mu overall ? Beside shiek and villager a
who are the bad mu
3. He seems to have everything to be a strong character overall what jis ia weakness?
4.any strong wario to watch abadango doesnt seem to play it anymore

Thanks

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman

2. How is he competively ? Does he have good mu overall ? Beside shiek and villager a
who are the bad mu
3. He seems to have everything to be a strong character overall what jis ia weakness?

Thanks
I really feel like it's pretty even vs shiek

axelalexzander

Smash Cadet
Are there any wario guides/instructional videos out there? I'm a Dedede main but have been playing a ton of Wario lately. Love the character and want him to be my primary alt option for use in tourneys to cover Dedede's bad matchups against rush down types like Sonic.

Magik0722

Smash Champion

who are the bad mu

Thanks
1. Alot of true combos out of a late nair which can lead to anything from an upair to a waft.
2. Pretty well competively. He has the bad matchups like you said along side a few disfavorable matchups like marth and Yoshi but besides shiek and villager there isnt anything too heartbreaking.
3. Dependent on waft and rage for KO's. Dependent on reads, cannot mindlessly throw out goodstuffs and win.
4. I'm currently ranked 1st in Austin and 100% main wario. I don't have too much videos of me on youtube as most of it is twitch but there are TO's working on putting them up on youtube, probably in the next few weeks. Besides me there is also reflex who does have a decent amount of videos. After me and reflex there is also some players I've seen are wafty and oracle.

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
Hey do you guys have a breakdown of the kill % for each move of Wario's?

I'll make it myself if you don't have one.

Oracle

Smash Master
1. Alot of true combos out of a late nair which can lead to anything from an upair to a waft.
2. Pretty well competively. He has the bad matchups like you said along side a few disfavorable matchups like marth and Yoshi but besides shiek and villager there isnt anything too heartbreaking.
3. Dependent on waft and rage for KO's. Dependent on reads, cannot mindlessly throw out goodstuffs and win.
4. I'm currently ranked 1st in Austin and 100% main wario. I don't have too much videos of me on youtube as most of it is twitch but there are TO's working on putting them up on youtube, probably in the next few weeks. Besides me there is also reflex who does have a decent amount of videos. After me and reflex there is also some players I've seen are wafty and oracle.
are there any videos of you? I have never heard of you but I know a lot of other good austin players so I'm confused lol

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Are there any wario guides/instructional videos out there? I'm a Dedede main but have been playing a ton of Wario lately. Love the character and want him to be my primary alt option for use in tourneys to cover Dedede's bad matchups against rush down types like Sonic.
Don't believe there are any comprehensive video guides of Wario, no. Pretty sure there's a bike guide on youtube. Can't link now tho.

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
are there any videos of you? I have never heard of you but I know a lot of other good austin players so I'm confused lol
Me too i want to see this it would be awsome if you could make a short video to demonstrate those true combo

Magik0722

Smash Champion
I just moved here a little under 2 months ago but I've won enough tournaments for them to put me first on the PR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPOc_o2jnHQ
The most recent video of me would have to be me in the crew battle against Houston. I played against the villager who got 2nd at arfi#2. Though it may not be the best video for a showcase due to the campy matchup.

I also forgot to mention the true combo of dtilt -> dash attack / Dsmash. But those are percent specific.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
How exactly can Wario approach Mario? It was the last match of a local tournament and I got completely destroyed by this Mario. Whenever I got near him he was able to whip out a quick smash attack (mainly his down and up smashes) or just unleashed a bunch of small attacks. Shielding his attacks and then going in for a grab didn't' help since his attacks slightly pushed me away and he had a chance to roll.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
How exactly can Wario approach Mario? It was the last match of a local tournament and I got completely destroyed by this Mario. Whenever I got near him he was able to whip out a quick smash attack (mainly his down and up smashes) or just unleashed a bunch of small attacks. Shielding his attacks and then going in for a grab didn't' help since his attacks slightly pushed me away and he had a chance to roll.
There isnt really a true answer to it, mario just does that to wario. Get better at powershielding and punishing mistakes is all I can say.

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
Fair the fireballs always help

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
The hitbox for Waft spreads below Wario's butt, you can go offstage and hit a lot of characters from above while they're trying to recover.

Pac-Man's trampoline recovery and C. Falcon's hug get stopped by it, for example.

Oracle

Smash Master
Vs mario I usually approach with rising full hop fairs, since you arent at risk to eat a fsmash. Warios fair has a lot of range, so you can usually space it to hit mario even during the pullback of the fsmash. Not getting grabbed is super important vs mario so be cautious at early percents; a random shieldgrab on your falling nair will put you around 50%.

GenG

Smash Lord
Is there a reliable way to make the bike start slow? So far I can only do this by starting the bike at the very tip of the right ledges of several stages (Battlefield and Final Destination for example). It's useful if you want to jump off the bike quickly and drop it.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Is there a reliable way to make the bike start slow? So far I can only do this by starting the bike at the very tip of the right ledges of several stages (Battlefield and Final Destination for example). It's useful if you want to jump off the bike quickly and drop it.
Just to make sure but you want to do that to keep the bike on stage right? If so, the best way to do that is to intentionally side b to the ledge so the bike crashes on top of it.

GenG

Smash Lord
Just to make sure but you want to do that to keep the bike on stage right? If so, the best way to do that is to intentionally side b to the ledge so the bike crashes on top of it.
Fantastic! That was what I was looking for. Thank you very much.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If you press Forward only slightly (as compared to "all the way") you won't go as fast at the start.

axelalexzander

Smash Cadet
Wario mains, how does he fair against fast, rush down types like Sonic, ZSS, Captain Falcon and Fox?

I've been playing Wario seriously for about a week. It seems like he has mostly neutral or close to neutral matchups. I don't feel like I can crush anyone but I never feel hopeless. But I've not played him long so I could be completely wrong.

Last edited:

GenG

Smash Lord
Is not extreme sweetspotted dash attack to waft a true followup? It leaves the opponent tripped in front of you. I did it just a few moments ago in For Glory.

Note that you have to hit the opponent with the tip of Wario's hands, if not, the attack will propel the enemy to your back. There are three hitboxes to this move.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Is not extreme sweetspotted dash attack to waft a true followup? It leaves the opponent tripped in front of you. I did it just a few moments ago in For Glory.

Note that you have to hit the opponent with the tip of Wario's hands, if not, the attack will propel the enemy to your back. There are three hitboxes to this move.
Technically it's sourspotted, but I get what your saying.

It might be possible. Dash attack's trip box ends on frame 23, and then there are a couple frames where Wario needs to get up from the attack. I can't find any data on IASA frame for Wario's dash attack, so it would depend on how early we can interrupt the dash attack with waft vs how early an opponent stays tripped..

I know you can tech chase them to Waft, it'd be better to follow their movement with a short hop in this case since Wario's air speed is better than his running speed.

Revax

Smash Cadet
NNID
Revax0
Wario mains, how does he fair against fast, rush down types like Sonic, ZSS, Captain Falcon and Fox?

I've been playing Wario seriously for about a week. It seems like he has mostly neutral or close to neutral matchups. I don't feel like I can crush anyone but I never feel hopeless. But I've not played him long so I could be completely wrong.
From my experience, rush down characters are the most annoying match-ups for Wario. Speed hasn't been an issue for me as most of my opponents underestimate the chomp or I look for opportunities to use the bike on them and retreat to a platform, however characters with combo games seem to tear through my Wario so unless I land wafts it usually doesn't end well. Despite Wario appearing to have neutral matchups, if the opponent makes a minor mistake it could cost them a stock due to Wario's waft, which completely stops a lot of characters from recovering and the timing isn't hard either when it's hitbox extended with the bike.

Demp

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if this has been asked before, but how does Waft work in Smash 4 compared to Brawl in terms of strength and timing? In Brawl I liked Wario but I didn't like constantly keeping an eye on the clock and trying to time the most optimal Waft. Has it changed in Smash 4?

Top Bottom