• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Wario Q&A and Help Thread - What's Wario Land

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Strongest Waft is max charge, which is not the case in Brawl (in Brawl, as close to full without being full is strongest). Otherwise it works the same way, in terms of speed and armor.

Oracle

Smash Master
Also, is there a good way to make the bike bounce back when it hits a ledge? It happens to me every so often but idk what causes it

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Getting hit does it. If the opponent turns you around, the Bike gets turned around and still has a hitbox on it.

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
I got a question for you Wario players.

Why is he so fun to play? I literally just picked him up today and it feels like I've been missing out big time. Not many people know the joy of spamming dtilt to hear Wario going "wawawawawawa" and annoying opponents to death.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
Yeah, but i've seen it happen randomly with the regular bike, and not from b reversing it. I just see it happen every now and then but idk what causes it
Its a glitch. Wario getting hit will cause the bike to change directions after he jumps off it. It is also possible to turn the bike by pressing side b in the other direction, though doing this will make its hitbox go away.

axelalexzander

Smash Cadet

Why is he so fun to play? I literally just picked him up today and it feels like I've been missing out big time. Not many people know the joy of spamming dtilt to hear Wario going "wawawawawawa" and annoying opponents to death.
For me, I like wario because of his air mobility and landing a fart is very rewarding. And he's just a hilarious character. I tend to gravitate towards the cartoony comedy type characters.

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace

His maneuverability, bike shenanigans, and ridiculous comeback potential in the Wario Waft are what I like about him.

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
Let's say that, hypothetically, I was suddenly interested in maining Wario. Where do I start?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Stop approaching; play to your strengths. Spam the options that are safest. You're likely well on your way if you play Rosalina and Villager.

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
Stop approaching; play to your strengths. Spam the options that are safest. You're likely well on your way if you play Rosalina and Villager.
Are there any guides for the character? Who to watch? Is there a thread I can go to find Wario mains who can spar with me? Safest moves?

Edit: I'm going a bit insane over this but which direction activates the victory screen where he goes lmao?

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Are there any guides for the character? Who to watch? Is there a thread I can go to find Wario mains who can spar with me? Safest moves?

Edit: I'm going a bit insane over this but which direction activates the victory screen where he goes lmao?
There aren't any comprehensive guides of Wario, unfortunately. :< As for who to watch check the latest pages in the video thread for tournament matches.

If you want to spar with other Wario mains you could try the Skype group. That's pretty much what it's for.

As for the laughing victory animation, it's right.. Up is bike, left is fart.

Last edited:

Revax

Smash Cadet
NNID
Revax0
Given the Japanese tier list put Wario so high he probably gets asked a lot about Wario, so if you couldn't get a response for him you'll just have to stick with my third-rate advice for now.

Wario's worst match-ups (in my opinion) are Sheik and Villager, followed closely by ZSS and Captain falcon. Villager because they are capable of removing your recovery option and out ranging you, and the other three because they can juggle Wario and have quick attacks that are hard for Wario to punish.

Abadango's twitter says he has four mains, and disregarding mewtwo leaves Pac-man and Rosalina. Pac-man likely suffers in these match-ups similarly so maybe Abadango is picking up Rosalina to handle these match-ups (I haven't seen him play Rosalina, and as his twitter feed mentions he lost to a Sheik and Villager he is probably working on counterplay).

Personally I use Pit, not because I weighed up who can deal with Wario's bad match-ups, he's well rounded and doesn't have any awful match-ups. If you're looking for a dedicated Wario back-up, use Rosalina. However if you're looking for a character that doesn't require as much time to learn, I recommend Sheik.

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
I am using mostly ZSS with Wario and megaman (the one a main when i started the game) i don't know if ZSS and wario is a great combo ? what do you think ? I am thinking more and more of only playing ZSS/wario because i enjoy wario more than megaman

Why wario doesn'T have a splash art ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Anyone got any advice for a Wario main has trouble landing his down b?
Patience is the main thing I jam into my head when I have a fully charged Waft. Just wait for the optimal moment to punish with a Waft. Though there are a few tricks you can use to greatly assist with landing Wafts though. Of course there is the more well known stuff like Wafting on the Bike to extended the hitbox duration from 4 frames to 20, though this will not extend it's range so you still need to space it out well. If timed correctly this can completely negate 3 of there 4 get-up options the only exception being a get-up roll which can still be baited out and punished if you read it. Waft is especially deadly when used for edge-guarding since it can be used to easily gimp recoveries without hitboxes. It becomes even more deadly when you grab your Bike walk off stage with it then Waft, it creates a deadly wall if timed correctly and can kill most characters at just a little above 60%. Though Bike + Waft tricks will only get you so far and can be quite situational but there are some other ways you can use Waft. Waft is a very effective punish move, so it can be used most effectively on characters who have bad frame data. The most BnB way to punish someone with Waft is to shield there laggy attack then retaliate by jumping out of shield and Wafting. Be wary of which character you use this on though, characters like Shiek and Diddy have very good frame data so punishing them is a lot more difficult then punishing someone like Bowser.

Another way around you Waft problem might be to try out the Quick Waft and Rose Waft. Quick Waft is good cause wasting a full charge is not a big deal since it comes back with in 30 seconds or so. Rose Waft has a huge hitbox and can edge-guard people easily.

Last edited:

Funtroon

Smash Apprentice
I'm currently maining Jigglypuff and thinking about having Wario as a seconday. Do Puff and Wario have any similarities in how they play or they entirely different?

Revax

Smash Cadet
NNID
Revax0
I am using mostly ZSS with Wario and megaman (the one a main when i started the game) i don't know if ZSS and wario is a great combo ? what do you think ? I am thinking more and more of only playing ZSS/wario because i enjoy wario more than megaman
I generally struggle against fast characters (sheik, captain falcon, fox) and Villager as Wario. If you don't have issues with these with ZSS and you are willing to put in time to use them both (Wario and ZSS play very differently), then I think it's a good combo.
I'm currently maining Jigglypuff and thinking about having Wario as a seconday. Do Puff and Wario have any similarities in how they play or they entirely different?
Puff and Wario seem very similar to me - they both prefer using aerials, have multi-hitting down-air, strong back-air, side-b with a long hitbox time, similar up-smash and have high reward down-Bs. If you wish to main them both you'll need to remember their down-bs have different setups to land them usually and other little differences.

crashbfan

Banned via Warnings
NNID
3DS FC
6666-6666-6666
Am I crazy or does Wario's dair semi-spike? I have been noticing it as I have been getting better with him

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
I've been maining Wario since the 3DS days, and I am still confused by a certain aspect of Wario's Chomp.

Does Wario gain fart charge from all items that he can eat, or only the items that heal him when he eats it?

Labernash

Smash Lord
Before I ask my question, I've done a poor job of socially making the transition from Brawl to Smash 4. Sorry about that. I'm Labernash, Texas Wario, for those whom I haven't met yet.

Anyways, I've been having a main crisis in this game. I think because I played Brawl Wario for 4 years, I had set up false expectations for myself in that I can't really find a character I'm that comfortable with when playing the game. But I liked Brawl Wario for his air mobility and safe damage and run away game and super armor fsmash and all that. A friend reassured me that Wario can do it in this game. I just haven't fully explored him. So that brings up my question:

How can I deal safer damage?

I get punished when I perfect space a rising fair on shield, which is a new experience for me. I feel like, a lot of the time, I get trades at best, whether I let them come to me or I dare to go to them.

Is it lack of experience with the characters moves still or am I going at it the wrong way? (Rising aerials to get away, essentially. After shielding a hit, OoS aerials too. Still punished.)

Any and all thoughts would be much appreciated!

Zionaze

Smash Ace
At lower %s fair doesnt have enough hitstun/knockback for you to space correctly.
Until the foe reaches around 40%, I like to approach with Bairs, Nairs, chomp, and grabs.
When Fair starts to produce enough knockback I'll start playing the fair spamming game for safe damage.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Does Wario gain fart charge from all items that he can eat, or only the items that heal him when he eats it?
Only items that heal, and they only add a second. Bigger items like the bike add two iirc.

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
So eating stuff like Bowser Jr's Cannon Ball is pointless?

"I have eaten your projectile, I can't punish you fast enough, I could have just jumped, I just decided to remove your projectile from existence."

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
So eating stuff like Bowser Jr's Cannon Ball is pointless?

"I have eaten your projectile, I can't punish you fast enough, I could have just jumped, I just decided to remove your projectile from existence."
Yeah generally eating the projectiles isn't the best option lol. But it's there.

Labernash

Smash Lord
At lower %s fair doesnt have enough hitstun/knockback for you to space correctly.
Until the foe reaches around 40%, I like to approach with Bairs, Nairs, chomp, and grabs.
When Fair starts to produce enough knockback I'll start playing the fair spamming game for safe damage.
Okay, interesting. I'll try approaching with different things early %. Thanks!!

Madwario

Smash Apprentice

1. Wario can do many stunts that can either be a fun fail or a more fun KO pissing people off.
2. Hes hilarious.
3. The best plumber in Brooklyn.
4. His taunts owns.
5. Burying with bikes never gets old.
6. Landing a fart by mistake but causing destruction is quite fun.
7. Its Wario in Smash. For years have i waited for him to join in.

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
I use Uthrow into fart. It requires you to read an airdodge, but it's still a super easy setup.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I wonder if the hitstun from the a bike throw would be enough to combo into a waft?

Using "combo" loosely here.

Last edited:

Labernash

Smash Lord
Sometimes when I ledge crash the bike, it will fall over and get back up and roll various distances. One time it went all the way across the stage, most of the time halfway across.

Any one know why this is happening? I've only had it happen on Smashville so far.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Sometimes when I ledge crash the bike, it will fall over and get back up and roll various distances. One time it went all the way across the stage, most of the time halfway across.

Any one know why this is happening? I've only had it happen on Smashville so far.
It depends on how far below the lip you crash. The further down you are, the less distance it moves past the ledge.

Labernash

Smash Lord
Can anyone give me some help on the Olimar MU? I know I can bite pikmin smashes and stuff, but I'm struggling in the neutral.

Also what are ideal stages to take Olimar to?

Sorry about the double post.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
B-Air seems to destroy any Pikmin on you. I've only played against Olimar once, but I remember that not knowing how to get them off of me reliably was a pain.

You can eat U-Smashes if you're not directly on top of Olimar. At this range, you'll still grab Olimar if he shields or doesn't attack.

I would tell you to camp, camp, camp.

Labernash

Smash Lord
B-Air seems to destroy any Pikmin on you. I've only played against Olimar once, but I remember that not knowing how to get them off of me reliably was a pain.

You can eat U-Smashes if you're not directly on top of Olimar. At this range, you'll still grab Olimar if he shields or doesn't attack.

I would tell you to camp, camp, camp.
That helps very much, appreciate it!

Kassetten

Smash Rookie
Hey, guys, been reading and lurking for a while, but I figured it was time to actually try and be a part of the community.

The biggest area where I struggle with Wario is edgeguarding. I know he's one of the best edge-guarders in the game, but I can't seem to tap into that potential. On that note, how do you get off the bike and leave it on-stage without falling off with a ton of endlag?

I'm previously a G&W main, so the edgeguarding is completely different. I feel like if I drop down and fire off an aerial, I'll end up not being able to make it back to the stage and SDing. I've been SDing quite a bit due to not being *quite* able to reach the ledge. Any tips on the ledge game at all? Videos would be nice as well because I haven't been able to find a comprehensive Wario guide video for SSB4.

Top Bottom