• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Wario Q&A and Help Thread - What's Wario Land

Magik0722

Smash Champion
I don't think battlefield is all that great for wario since its blastzones are farther away horizontally. Wario has trouble enough getting KO's. I think smahville is his best stage.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Any stage that allows you to dismount your bike on the ledge is a good choice for Wario.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Wario is hard to master, and more importantly, he's not a "sexy" pick, both literally and figuratively. He doesn't move fast, he's not particularly strong, he doesn't combo very well, and he doesn't have access to spammable projectiles. I think you'll see more Wario users once the tier list solidifies and people realize that he's a formidable threat despite his numerous flaws.

Twixer

Smash Rookie
NNID
Twiixer
I really like Wario to play around with, and I tried using him competitively, though he feels really...inconsistent for me, if that makes any sense. He's wonky, and yeah, lack of true combos. Basically just poking around until you give your opponent pink eye.

_gold_

Smash Master
I actually find that Battlefield complements Wario quite well. At least for my playstyle it does.

Last edited:

_gold_

Smash Master
I really couldn't tell you, but I find him very good.
He should at least be higher on the tier list, but I think that's due to what @ toadster101 toadster101 said.

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
How does Wario do against characters who can kite really well? (Fox, Pika, Sheik etc)

Magik0722

Smash Champion
How does Wario do against characters who can kite really well? (Fox, Pika, Sheik etc)
Doesn't have a trouble with kiting per say, but some of the characters that happen to kite well are typically bad matchups. You can always use it a bit to your advantage and play the runaway game to charge wafts.

Waymas

Smash Journeyman
Wario is really awesome, the problem is that you can't just go aggro with him, you have to play pretty patient and wait for the exact moment to punish.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Wario is not your average Dthrow -> aerial combo guy, a feat many people seem to find really important for their character.
Our fat man just plays so differently from the rest of the cast, it's quite mind boggling. He requires good aerial knowledge, a sense for the waft's charge and a dash of creativity in bike usuage.
In short, Wario requires a lot of thinking mid-battle, instead of learning combos by hard, therefore his playstyle may alienate certain players

adamlon1

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3583-0365-0217
Wario plays in a very set way and to be truthful that set way you have to play Wario isn't all that easy or appealing to use and thus is very hard to use competitively however this does not mean he is bad in fact I think he is top 20 however he is very strange to play and is not all that simple or as rewarding as some other characters so he doesn't get enough attention and even if he did people will still prefer other characters over Wario since they could get a way easier to play character such as Sheik or Diddy and have way more reward.

Gombi

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys i would like to know what are Wario strenght and weakness and what are is known bad MU? Can any wario main can tell me ? thanks a lot

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
I just recently started using Wario and I think he's great! He's great against Falcon since you can just bite when he tries to rush you. People don't use him because he lacks combos and projectiles I think. I'm glad people don't use him because it feels that much better when I win with him.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
I've been playing around with Wario and Im not quite sure on how the bike + waft combo works.
Can somebody give me an explanation on the bikes properties and how items in general can allow you to extend the duration of your hitbox?

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I agree platforms tend to help Wario. I think it depends on the matchup at the end of the day as well.

For example, against Zero Suit, I usually don't like taking her to Battlefield because the top platform aids her in KOs from the top (which she's very good at). She can also cover the platforms quite well. Against someone like Sonic, I don't really like Final Destination where I have no breathing room from him.

I find myself going to Smashville and Town & City with Wario.

The_Paradiddler

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 2397 7602 9504
IDK if this is the place for this...

but I'm a sonic main looking for wario matchup practice.

help a hedgehog out? NNID Paradiddler

Revax

Smash Cadet
NNID
Revax0
I've been playing around with Wario and Im not quite sure on how the bike + waft combo works.
Can somebody give me an explanation on the bikes properties and how items in general can allow you to extend the duration of your hitbox?
Apologies for the late reply but this is a matter I think is pretty important for Wario users. The fundamental question for waft extending is 'Can I interact with this object with my waft?' The idea of hitbox extending is the waft (or a very powerful attack (Wario's forward smash may work, I know bowser's does)) has hit something and the hitbox lingers. To my knowledge, this only works on other characters and items that can be damaged. Wario's bike works because it can be hit by the waft and can be broken, so things similar to this can also extend the hitbox (wafting on bike pieces won't work because they don't react to the waft). Apart from Wario's bike, I don't know many other things this works for other than Villager's balloons, Pac-man's hydrant and Rosalina's precious luma.

One other important thing to note is only the duration of the hitbox is extended, not the size so this technique should be used to punish spot dodges and if you perfect it, punish the one initial frame where characters grab the ledge but are not invulnerable

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Not sure if this type of question would be suited here, but do you guys think using the bike as an edge guarding tool would be considered spamming/cheap? What I mean by an edge guarding tool is quickly pulling the bike out and throwing it above the ledge so the opponent can't get up as easily (video explaining it). I've been doing this trick whenever I possibly can and about 3 people have called me a spammer on For Glory. Aside from this and recovering, I almost never use the bike or any other type of spammable move.

So would it be best to do this every chance I get, or should I just do it maybe once since it would be considered a cheap method?

Rakurai

Smash Ace
...No?

You shouldn't even care what people think about your tactics if it's letting you win, honestly. There are ways around it, and they were evidently too dumb to know how to handle it, so that's their problem.

Odeclas

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ulachagi
3DS FC
0877-1612-1511
I've recently been trying to pick up Wario, and I barely ever hit my farts :-(

What are some set ups? The only one that I know is the one where you walk off the stage with the bike in hand and fart on it to increase the time tathat the hitbox is out.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
The sour spot of NAir can combo into it but it's rage/percent/DI/etc dependent. I know speeding bike can as well.

Also you can use the bike to extend the waft on stage as well so definitely use that to your advantage if you see an opportunity.

Odeclas

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ulachagi
3DS FC
0877-1612-1511
The sour spot of NAir can combo into it but it's rage/percent/DI/etc dependent. I know speeding bike can as well.

Also you can use the bike to extend the waft on stage as well so definitely use that to your advantage if you see an opportunity.
I see I see, by speeding bike do people mean a custom? Or just the regular bike at full speed? Sorry, first post on Wario boards haha

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yeah speeding bike is a custom. You can combo into a waft from regular bike I believe but it's WAY tougher to get.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Downthrowing the bike towards someone and then farting on it while it's still in the air can be good, since the bike extends the hitbox and they're free to waft on if the bike hits them.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
The only time I've seen people combo into the waft off of the standard bike is by having it connect in midair and tilting the bike forward so that when Wario jumps off, he ends up next to his opponent.

The speeding bike on the other hand, creates waft combos off of grounded or aerial hits and works up to KO percents for all waft variants and charge levels.

Last edited:

LordFreezyPops42

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LordFreezyPops42
Weak nair to waft is a thing, and it can close stocks, provided your opponent doesn't DI safely. Fair to waft is another thing that works consistently for me. Try baiting an air dodge by popping your opponent up and laying below them, waiting for the airdodge. You can fart on the bike to extend the duration of the hit box. This is particularly potent at the ledge. Picking your bike up and tossing it up near the ledge may lead to a waft if you're getting the read. Ledge trump to waft seems to work.

Last edited:

Zorai

Smash Journeyman
NNID
x_Zorai
The only time I've seen people combo into the waft off of the standard bike is by having it connect in midair and tilting the bike forward so that when Wario jumps off, he ends up next to his opponent.

The speeding bike on the other hand, creates waft combos off of grounded or aerial hits and works up to KO percents for all waft variants and charge levels.
So would you say speeding bike is generally superior to normal bike? Landing waft is a HUGE part of wario's game, so anything that can reliably do that for you is a plus in my mind.

What does everyone else think?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
And no dont tell me to aerial Short hop him...they ALL jump off the moment they use it and I cant get to him in time to attack before he uses it again.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Speeding bike can't be used for edgeguarding set-ups, but it gives you access to an easy combo starter, an extremely good aerial mobility tool that can be used to escape from pressure (Someone trying to harass you from below with uair? Just get some distance with the speeding bike), and makes Wario's already absurd recovery even better, to the point where you can go under most stages even if you started from far off-stage.

That said, I do think it's generally better then the normal bike.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
And no dont tell me to aerial Short hop him...they ALL jump off the moment they use it and I cant get to him in time to attack before he uses it again.
Just shield it. If he's still on the bike you can punish him with an OOS. If he jumps off it he's not exactly in a good position.

Octagon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefly62813
3DS FC
4768-7531-8428
During the first stock, DO NOT use the fart. Once your opponent is on their second stock, you'll have had time to notice their habits and predict a good time to do a fart once they're at 60% or higher. With characters who dont have hitboxes on their recoveries, Wario can easily kill with a fully charged fart. The fart is pretty op...

CatcherAndTheRai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CatcherAndTheRai
Where is the hitbox on the dash attack that sets up a tech chase? do you have to hit it on them when your overlapping them? can someone give details on this please?

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Dash attack causes a trip pretty much anytime after Wario's head is touching the ground.

You can't actually tech chase/follow up unless you hit with the very end of it, though.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Where is the hitbox on the dash attack that sets up a tech chase? do you have to hit it on them when your overlapping them? can someone give details on this please?
It lingers for a while as he slides; the sweetspot when he moves downward pops people up, and then there's a long-lasting sourspot hitbox on his hands and body that trips people for the rest of it.

Oracle

Smash Master
Is there any accurate information/testing for how eating items affects wario's charge time? I've been looking around and I haven't found anything conclusive. It definitely seems to make the waft charge faster, but I'm just not sure by how much.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Is there any accurate information/testing for how eating items affects wario's charge time? I've been looking around and I haven't found anything conclusive. It definitely seems to make the waft charge faster, but I'm just not sure by how much.
Items that heal you build up waft. Smaller items (tires, metal blades, bananas, etc) add 1 second. Bigger items (bike) add 2 seconds.

Oracle

Smash Master
Is that the same even for custom farts? Also my thread got moved overnight this forums mod game 2 strong

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Is that the same even for custom farts? Also my thread got moved overnight this forums mod game 2 strong
Yeah that applies for the customs too.

Also it was morning for me lol

Top Bottom