• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Wario Q&A and Help Thread - What's Wario Land

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
If you run off the ledge and immediately Forward-B into the lip, you'll leave the Bike near the edge.

People have to move toward you in order to recover. You can often get away with the mix-up of "aerial vs. airdodge," where you either swing at them as soon as possible, or airdodge and start holding toward the stage. For a lot of characters, if they do an attack to try and swat you away or they airdodge to avoid your potential attack, you will have frame advantage and can hit them with whatever.

If you're going deep with an aerial, the Bike jump is higher if you lean back while on the Bike before jumping. That allows you to go deeper than normal before attempting to recover.

Wario's ledgeguard game, preventing people from getting off the ledge safely, is quite good. Things like N-Air, D-Air, Neutral-B, and D-Smash cover multiple options. If you have the Bike on the stage, you can get your hitboxes to linger in one place longer than normal, which works especially well for Waft.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Does the WAH Have any combo breakers?
Merged your thread here

Not necessarily. Your best option is to air dodge, I'd say. NAir's your fastest aerial, but it isn't the most reliable option to get out of combos.

Last edited:

monkokaio

Smash Cadet
NNID
monkokaio
3DS FC
4468-1090-0122
I have a lot of trouble with Little Mac. I feel he's too fast to really land a good fair or bair on him. Sometimes you can bite him out of side b or forward smash. But idk.

Maybe I'm just bad at the match up.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
How do Warios feel about the Luigi and Yoshi MUs?
We probably win against Luigi if we don't let him get in. He can't really approach Wario, so he has an easy time getting the waft charged for free. Once Luigi is off stage he's a really easy waft target.

Yoshi is a hard one though, I think. But I don't have experience against Yoshi, or Mac for that matter.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I use Uthrow into fart. It requires you to read an airdodge, but it's still a super easy setup.
I think this depends on the air mobility of the character you're facing. I can see this working against Diddy or Fox (who have bad air mobility) but certainly not against Yoshi or Puff.

I wonder if the hitstun from the a bike throw would be enough to combo into a waft?

Using "combo" loosely here.
I've set up farts by throwing the bike up before and hitting someone who's getting close to me, as well as F-smashes, never by throwing it straight at someone though.

The thing with throwing it up: your opponent can simply choose not to run at you and wait for the bike to stop bouncing. It really only traps impatient players.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
What about throwing the bike upwards near the ledge to cover their get up options? Their only way to avoid it is to wait at the ledge which makes them vulnerable, or roll which you can react to and D throw which is fast enough to let them get hit by the bike. I know I always get an upsmash from that.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Fart set-ups? Well, sometimes I would pretend that I was looking for something close to the ground next to my brother. I would bend forward, and then I would fart on him. Good times.

Oh, you mean fart set-ups with Wario? Nah, I don't have any, sorry.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Oh, throwing the bike up by the ledge is really, really good, especially when your opponent is holding on to it.

You can also hit the opponent with a sour-spotted dash attack if they're hanging on the ledge: the tripbox will send them down and give a chance for a walk-off waft (since the waft hitbox is low below Wario's bum).

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Hi, I'm an aspiring Wario main and I've been wondering how much you all would suggest using the bike. As it is now, I use the bike for almost all of my setups. This is usually in the form of jumping off the stage and propelling the bike off the stage corner, jumping, and fast falling a nair, or throwing the bike followed by fairs. I also use it to extend the fart hitbox.

However, I realized that I'm pretty much always relying on the bike. Is this okay? I've tried watching videos of people like Abadango, and it seems like he uses it less, while Reflex only uses it to recover for the most part.

Also, are there any other ways you all use the bike besides what I am doing? Thanks!

NeonSpeed315

Smash Cadet
NNID
neonspeed325
We probably win against Luigi if we don't let him get in. He can't really approach Wario, so he has an easy time getting the waft charged for free. Once Luigi is off stage he's a really easy waft target.

Yoshi is a hard one though, I think. But I don't have experience against Yoshi, or Mac for that matter.
But how would we deal with luigis fireballs? He doesn't have a fast enough jab to deal with it, and if u shield u r prone to grab combos.

As for yoshi, Wario doesn't have the godly frame data of yoshi, so its best to play super patiently. One can use his air speed to easily maneuver around the eggs.

Adrian Marin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5000-2987-6227
It's worth noting that against some characters and with proper positioning, the upward thrown bike will hit opponents that are still hanging on the ledge. You need to move practically out of the stage to make it work, but it's basically impossible to avoid the punish once it's set. I suppose that if the opponent expects this to happen, you could bait the ledgeroll and waft, or maybe waft right after the bike falls on the opponent.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
"Every time an opponent tries to recover low is essentially an opportunity for a waft. Just watch out for up airs."

I played Wario vs ROB against Holy (Ally's brother) this past weekend, this is what he told me after our bracket match.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
What's the quickest way to stop chomping on someone? Wondering since I sometimes go for an off-stage chomp and end up dying before releasing my opponent.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
What's the quickest way to stop chomping on someone? Wondering since I sometimes go for an off-stage chomp and end up dying before releasing my opponent.
Don't press any more chomps. Thats the fastest way but may not be fast enough to prevent an SD

NeonSpeed315

Smash Cadet
NNID
neonspeed325
Don't press any more chomps. Thats the fastest way but may not be fast enough to prevent an SD
I'm so glad I've watched you play.
Couple things.
1. I honestly LOVE when you taunt randomly XD I love your Wario.
2. is Wario mainly a character that never approaches except to punish? Somewhat similar to sonic?
3. Any interesting facts about Wario that makes him really good (excluding weight and air speed)?
4. In neutral, fair and nair and bike and chomp are the main moves? How well does up air or dair do?
5. How do you abuse waft ? Do u use . It at first opening or wait and chomp a lot to increase paranoia?
6. At low-mid% what's your go-to throw? I usually do u throw for space and think time or d throw for a tech chase.

Sorry if this is a lot, I'd just rly love to get at your level.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
1. I honestly LOVE when you taunt randomly XD I love your Wario.
2. is Wario mainly a character that never approaches except to punish? Somewhat similar to sonic?
3. Any interesting facts about Wario that makes him really good (excluding weight and air speed)?
4. In neutral, fair and nair and bike and chomp are the main moves? How well does up air or dair do?
5. How do you abuse waft ? Do u use . It at first opening or wait and chomp a lot to increase paranoia?
6. At low-mid% what's your go-to throw? I usually do u throw for space and think time or d throw for a tech chase.
1. You gotta have fun in this game.
2. You approach with aerial chomps mostly, and poke with fairs. I wouldn't say he never approaches.
3. He's one of the only characters that has a great command grab, most smashers aren't used to their shield being an unsafe option, he also has a great comeback mechanic in the waft.
4. Yeah those are his main moves in nuetral. Upair is great against people above you obviously beats out most dairs coming from above, for reference, a properly spaced uair beats links dair. Dair rarely beats other characters upairs when they are below him and its punishable on shield so its a move that is rarely used. I'm starting to use it more in frame perfect ledgegaurds though.
5. Some people safe it, I tend to use it very often with the mindset that if i miss I can always just stall some more to get another one decently. I've been using rose waft mostly recently and its huge hitbox usually means I rarely miss with it, it also charges around 10seconds faster than regular waft.
6. forward throw does 12% damage and upthrow does 11% damage. I usually upthrow and attempt to catch their landing somehow or go for uairs. Forward throw does have merit too for that extra 1% and can get them offstage. Wario is great at covering ledge options so you can get even more percent that way. Although staling isn't as important this game it is something to keep in mind and fthrow is wario's primary KO move.

NeonSpeed315

Smash Cadet
NNID
neonspeed325
1. You gotta have fun in this game.
2. You approach with aerial chomps mostly, and poke with fairs. I wouldn't say he never approaches.
3. He's one of the only characters that has a great command grab, most smashers aren't used to their shield being an unsafe option, he also has a great comeback mechanic in the waft.
4. Yeah those are his main moves in nuetral. Upair is great against people above you obviously beats out most dairs coming from above, for reference, a properly spaced uair beats links dair. Dair rarely beats other characters upairs when they are below him and its punishable on shield so its a move that is rarely used. I'm starting to use it more in frame perfect ledgegaurds though.
5. Some people safe it, I tend to use it very often with the mindset that if i miss I can always just stall some more to get another one decently. I've been using rose waft mostly recently and its huge hitbox usually means I rarely miss with it, it also charges around 10seconds faster than regular waft.
6. forward throw does 12% damage and upthrow does 11% damage. I usually upthrow and attempt to catch their landing somehow or go for uairs. Forward throw does have merit too for that extra 1% and can get them offstage. Wario is great at covering ledge options so you can get even more percent that way. Although staling isn't as important this game it is something to keep in mind and fthrow is wario's primary KO move.
One last thing, how do I handle people that are up close and super pressure-y?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I know this is really embarrassing to say, but I've been having a lot of trouble dealing with Little Mac recently. I'm so used to fighting crappy Little Macs that side-B off the stage and are easy to gimp that when I fight one that actually knows how to play as him, I have no idea how to approach them.

Bike and chomp are useless because he'll just shield/roll through them and punish me with a smash attack. If I go in for a grab, he'll roll and punish me with a jab. Even if I grab him and throw him off the ledge, I'll be unable to gimp him since he'll just air dodge (something that most Little Macs seem to never do for some reason). Using other types of attacks will result in me hitting him but still taking damage thanks to his invincibility frames from his smash attacks. Even if I can read his rolls I don't know how to punish him without taking damage from his quick attacks such as his tilts.

So basically how do I properly approach an overly defensive Little Mac that rolls a lot/shields all of my attacks?

NeonSpeed315

Smash Cadet
NNID
neonspeed325
I know this is really embarrassing to say, but I've been having a lot of trouble dealing with Little Mac recently. I'm so used to fighting crappy Little Macs that side-B off the stage and are easy to gimp that when I fight one that actually knows how to play as him, I have no idea how to approach them.

Bike and chomp are useless because he'll just shield/roll through them and punish me with a smash attack. If I go in for a grab, he'll roll and punish me with a jab. Even if I grab him and throw him off the ledge, I'll be unable to gimp him since he'll just air dodge (something that most Little Macs seem to never do for some reason). Using other types of attacks will result in me hitting him but still taking damage thanks to his invincibility frames from his smash attacks. Even if I can read his rolls I don't know how to punish him without taking damage from his quick attacks such as his tilts.

So basically how do I properly approach an overly defensive Little Mac that rolls a lot/shields all of my attacks?
Up your read game. U notice himhim rolling, read and punish. U notice an airdodge, wait and punish.

You can't really fight Mac head onon when he is grounded cuz 9/10 times he will win. Camp him out and out -defense him if u understand. Chomp is still amazing as always.

U throw to pit him in Teh airz and read airdodges and uair for juggles. Mac is so bad in air you know. Fair gimps are death to him still.

Don't go for trades. He will win on ground but lose in air. His frame data sh*ts on us on the ground but vice versa in air.

That's mainly it as far as I know. Use your air game to ur advantage.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
Just won a tournament with wario... with my wafts!
It's so important for wario. don't understimate the waft!

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
depend on your style.
on the ground i'm using the bike for projectile.

In the air, i'm using it to recovery but... make somt feint to to escape from meteor smash because i don't play aerial much.

in 8 eight player smash... is BIKE FOR ALL!

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Wario mains, how does he fair against fast, rush down types like Sonic, ZSS, Captain Falcon and Fox?
I've been playing Wario seriously for about a week. It seems like he has mostly neutral or close to neutral matchups. I don't feel like I can crush anyone but I never feel hopeless. But I've not played him long so I could be completely wrong.
:4wario2:45:55:4fox: at worst, imo it's closer to even at top level. Fox is my main and Wario is my secondary.

Wario's advantage is that he can KO very early with waft, and his air game can go head-to-head with Fox. Wario also has slightly better range than Fox - one of the rare instances where he outranges another character - which combined with his air movement means he can make it tough for Fox to find openings to exploit. And Fox's recovery travels a very linear angle.

That said, Fox definitely wins when he's on-stage, he can combo Wario hard and his ground game is very fast. Jab lock is also nasty, he can start it on Wario at ~40%, and Fox's KO moves come out fast (frame 5 U-smash, for ex). Laser pressure also means you can't run away and wait for the waft to charge, Fox can damage you from wherever he wants.

NeonSpeed315

Smash Cadet
NNID
neonspeed325
:4wario2:45:55:4fox: at worst, imo it's closer to even at top level. Fox is my main and Wario is my secondary.

Wario's advantage is that he can KO very early with waft, and his air game can go head-to-head with Fox. Wario also has slightly better range than Fox - one of the rare instances where he outranges another character - which combined with his air movement means he can make it tough for Fox to find openings to exploit. And Fox's recovery travels a very linear angle.

That said, Fox definitely wins when he's on-stage, he can combo Wario hard and his ground game is very fast. Jab lock is also nasty, he can start it on Wario at ~40%, and Fox's KO moves come out fast (frame 5 U-smash, for ex). Laser pressure also means you can't run away and wait for the waft to charge, Fox can damage you from wherever he wants.
Do u know what to do when approached as Wario? I try to do aerials but they get shielded. Chomp gets beaten by w/e attack they feel like thriwin out, and my spotdodges or shielding tend to get read and punished.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
So since Wario is already a character of mine, I wanted to know how you guys feel about him a customs setting. MK is balls in customs so I'm looking into Wario. Seems like he has a lot of nice sidegrades.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I feel like the speeding bike probably benefits Wario the most of his customs.

You can't cover ledge options with it nearly as well, but it lets you combo into a waft after a successful hit, and allows for footstool to jab reset combos at low to mid percentages.

Revax

Smash Cadet
NNID
Revax0
B customs (Better off sticking with chomp in my opinion)
Inhaling bite - Sucks opponents in; does less damage. I haven't tried this one out,
Garlic breath - Long delay, but when the breath comes out, it stuns (trips and knocks back people who are too far away). Not very useful in my opinion as chomp has a lot of utility

Side B customs (Matchup dependent)
Speeding bike - Less hp (breaks from one bounce) but faster and has insane knockback. Likely Wario's best custom as Rakurai has said, it also combos into waft at some percents!
Burying bike - More hp (I think it even bounces more from some throws) while burying opponents if it runs over them (even if Wario isn't riding the bike). Has a lot of potential for bike throwing combo strings and abusing grounded opponents (although Wario has no uplifting attacks that i know of as opposed to Sonic's up-smash)

Up B customs (Personal preference)
Widescrew - Much larger directional choice (can almost go horizontally), however it loses some height
Corkscrew leap - More height and faster vertically, however it can only go vertical, so it is risky as you could get knocked off your bike

Down B customs (Personal preference: Power - Standard waft, Range - Rose scented, Speed - Quick waft)
Rose scented waft - Less knockback, 10 second faster timer, MUCH larger hitbox, does damage over time from a sapling. I love this custom move
Quick waft - A faster waft. Fully charged it comes out slightly quicker than an ordinary waft, however it won't kill nearly as quickly. Very useful if you're worried about missing a waft

Personally I like 1212, none of Wario's custom moves are too inferior from each other (other than maybe his chomp customs), and he gains a lot from speeding bike and rose scented waft in some match ups as he can cripple recovery with their respective speed and range

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
How fast is Bite, actually? The frame data says frame 2 but that seems too fast... As if it isn't taking the initial animation into account.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
How fast is Bite, actually? The frame data says frame 2 but that seems too fast... As if it isn't taking the initial animation into account.
actually the frame data says 2-1 frames. So i have no idea where it is coming from. I asked abiut it and they gave me an answer i didnt understand. Maybe you could look it up. It really does seem to be instant though.

axelalexzander

Smash Cadet
Complete newb question here but...

Can someone explain to me when you do and when you don't get a second jump with Wario? I keep SDing because I'll jump off stage thinking I have my 2nd jump and then I don't. There must be a mechanic I don't understand because I'm used to playing Dedede and he gets his 5 jumps all the time no matter what. Wario loses his 2nd jump sometimes. Can someone explain how all this works?

Last edited:

Waroh

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mr.Waroh
Complete newb question here but...

Can someone explain to me when you do and when you don't get a second jump with Wario? I keep SDing because I'll jump off stage thinking I have my 2nd jump and then I don't. There must be a mechanic I don't understand because I'm used to playing Dedede and he gets his 5 jumps all the time no matter what. Wario loses his 2nd jump sometimes. Can someone explain how all this works?
I believe in previous Smash Bros games, grabs and or command grabs would give you your double jump back even without returning to ground. It's not the case here. Is that what's happening?

Last edited:

axelalexzander

Smash Cadet
I believe in previous Smash Bros games, grabs and or command grabs would give you your double jump back even without returning to ground. It's not the case here. Is that what's happening?
No, no chomp involved. If you jump off the center platform off stage sometimes you'll get your 2nd jump, other times you won't.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
The answer is probably no, but are there any actual uses for the first two stages of waft?

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
The hitbox from the first stage of Waft is incredibly small and only trips. You can't even act out of before the opponent recovers so there is no purpose in singles. The second stage also doesn't really have a purpose. With the knockback it has and the small hitbox, pretty much any other move with be a better option.

Top Bottom