• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Waba Game presents: [There is a new thread, check last post]

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastheaven

Smash Ace
brawl is a v. competitive game you guys just dont understand
me and a few of my friends get together after school and while we're waiting for our moms to pick us up we play brawl and are really good
one of my friends especially he can beat anyone with captain falcon too bad he can't go to tournaments or he'd wh

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
uh, i get it u guys practice, what does that have to do with the waba thread? ur not the only 1 who practices..

Gerbil

Smash Champion
brawl is a v. competitive game you guys just dont understand
me and a few of my friends get together after school and while we're waiting for our moms to pick us up we play brawl and are really good
one of my friends especially he can beat anyone with captain falcon too bad he can't go to tournaments or he'd wh
HA! I KNEW you still had this account in use! *FF fanfare for personal victory*

GA Peach

Smash Lord
imo melee is more like halo 1. People who play competitively generally think its the best game in the series (not to mention the best console shooter ever) and there are still tournaments for it but a community can't grow unless it uses the newest game in the series so the halo 1 community is inevitably overshadowed by the halo 3 community. Smash is pretty much the same way.

this proves how ignorant the gaming populous as a whole is. if something is better competitively, then people should continue to support it instead of switching to something else simply because it is new or easier. look at Super Turbo and 3rd Strike. those games are older than Melee, and still have very strong communities. why? because they are good games, the community recognizes that they are good, and they support them. from what i've seen, when brawl came around, people stopped playing melee because of a plethora of reasons, and none of them were good ones. most people started brawl because it's an easier game to play, because it looks prettier, and because they weren't any good at melee and see this as their second chance in smash. a community can still grow as long as it isn't filled with ignorant people simply playing what is new or simple, and as long as the game is a good one. melee is a good enough game to have this happen, but too many people like the ones aforementioned play smash.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
brawl = RPS metaknight snake
it's only about character counters unless you play metaknight or snake, which automatically beat RP and S and have to fight each other

VietGeek

Smash Hero

Well, I'm borrowing Melee from a friend again...

I'll ask this...

For attacks like Marth's Fair, etc. do they autocancel their lag if the attack animation finishes before you touch the ground like in Brawl?

Also, how do you know if you L-cancel correctly on attacks like Marth's fair where you can barely see any lag anyway? Am I suppose to practice with a laggy character until I know the relative position of when to L-cancel? Is it possible to L-cancel ledgehopped aerials also?

Hmm...

When you dash, should you crouch cancel then wavedash, or jump and wavedash immediately from the dash?

I also want to know how one can wavedash so quickly on and off platforms and stuff, but whatever. V_V

Anyone want to do Melee friendlies at the next Brawl tournament (which I will still be entering)? I'll play a few. Don't be expecting anything half-decent though.

Yes, I know this isn't the "Get good at Melee you Brawl scrub fast" thread, but since we're on the subject of Melee, why not?

Hey Dynomite and Diablo, let's play Melee friendlies mmkay? Since we apparently all suck at that game and have about no tech skill whatsoever?

Dr F-U-N

Smash Cadet

Well, I'm borrowing Melee from a friend again...

I'll ask this...

For attacks like Marth's Fair, etc. do they autocancel their lag if the attack animation finishes before you touch the ground like in Brawl?

Also, how do you know if you L-cancel correctly on attacks like Marth's fair where you can barely see any lag anyway? Am I suppose to practice with a laggy character until I know the relative position of when to L-cancel? Is it possible to L-cancel ledgehopped aerials also?

Hmm...

When you dash, should you crouch cancel then wavedash, or jump and wavedash immediately from the dash?

I also want to know how one can wavedash so quickly on and off platforms and stuff, but whatever. V_V

Anyone want to do Melee friendlies at the next Brawl tournament (which I will still be entering)? I'll play a few. Don't be expecting anything half-decent though.

Yes, I know this isn't the "Get good at Melee you Brawl scrub fast" thread, but since we're on the subject of Melee, why not?

Hey Dynomite and Diablo, let's play Melee friendlies mmkay? Since we apparently all suck at that game and have about no tech skill whatsoever?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE

Watch parts 2 and 3 as well. And practice.

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
@All "brawl only" players- I'll teach you melee. I taught all of GPC how to play, way back when our crew got started. You just have to be willing to practice and improve.

Any takers?

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
tbh, i just started playing melee again today i cant get back into 'the melee mode' again.. :)

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
15+ dollars is a waste of money to practice melee for 4 hours.
the door fee for waba is 5. Practice until you feel sufficiently able to fight, then pay for experience. You don't even have to enter. I don't enter singles. Marty doesn't enter singles and he's a top 10 contender.
We hold smashfests all the time, go to one of those.
All I'm hearing is johns, johns, johns.

Melee mode, please define that for me '-'?

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
the door fee for waba is 5. Practice until you feel sufficiently able to fight, then pay for experience. You don't even have to enter. I don't enter singles. Marty doesn't enter singles and he's a top 10 contender.
We hold smashfests all the time, go to one of those.
All I'm hearing is johns, johns, johns.

Melee mode, please define that for me '-'?
I can't afford the gas to drive around to you guys to play melee daily. It cost me like a tank(20 bucks) to drive to Tommy's and back to my house for 3 days. The rest of you live even further than Tommy. Not to mention that a drive to and back from Waba is about 120 mins of driving. Which is like 15 bucks worth of gas. If you all want to come to Grayson however many times a week I'll play melee all you want lol. Until then its Brawl, Halo and Starcraft.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
wow what part of Ga are you guys from again?
this one perhaps?

just play the games and have fun?!

wtf has happened to this community? since when did you have to be good at a game to enjoy playing it? since when did a measly 10 or 15 bucks become too much money to lose in a tournament you can't win? you guys wont get better in melee or brawl with this attitude.

especially in GA? i live in AL, and the only good player we have thats within a reasonable distance from me to practice with in moogle, and he sandbags all the time :-P

theres no reason for there to just be like only six great melee players in GA. you guys should be feeding off of each other and growing exponentially.

Dr F-U-N

Smash Cadet
this one perhaps?

wtf has happened to this community? since when did you have to be good at a game to enjoy playing it? since when did a measly 10 or 15 bucks become too much money to lose in a tournament you can't win? you guys wont get better in melee or brawl with this attitude.

especially in GA? i live in AL, and the only good player we have thats within a reasonable distance from me to practice with in moogle, and he sandbags all the time :-P

theres no reason for there to just be like only six great melee players in GA. you guys should be feeding off of each other and growing exponentially.
Waba is about 20-30 minutes from Johns Creek.

~^.NoiR.^~

Smash Ace
this one perhaps?

Personally a day at waba for brawl is about a $45 dollar day. 5 for entree, 10 for doubles, 10 for singles. 15 for gas 5 for food. If I do well in the tournament then I buy alcohol. So $55? Then repeat on sunday? Not going to happen.

The only reason I go to Brawl tournaments now is because I either break even with what I came with or win some extra cash. Usually I go to waba and pay for the door fee, learn how to play different characters, leave and go home.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
this one perhaps?

lol which is why chaddd created that other topic.

melee players should jus give in an play brawl *runs*

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
tbh, i cant control fox, he is too fast.. lol thats y i dun wana get back into melee.. its too fast for me :D

VietGeek

Smash Hero
@All "brawl only" players- I'll teach you melee. I taught all of GPC how to play, way back when our crew got started. You just have to be willing to practice and improve.

Any takers?
Sure. You might as well direct me to a "ATs to learn" thread though because I'm about deaf already and Waba has a lot of noise too. After that, I'll probably sit-in and hear what you have to say at Waba.

I play Marth so I guess that makes a little easier for you. It seems I'm about a level lower or even with Diablo from what he's saying. This is going to be one **** of a game of catch-up we three [EDIT: Me, Diablo, and Dynomite. Yes Dynomite, you're going to play Melee with us] are going to play, lol.

@ Dynomite: It always looks faster to us newbs. Just don't give up and keep trying to practice. Although I guess we need something to practice though. For now, I'm practicing L-canceling. With Marth it's kinda hard to tell though (besides Dair). Any tips?

@ Diablo: n00b Roy dittos? That would be sweet. Most of Roy's aerials sans Nair pretty much are subpar anyway so we don't have to L-cancel. Just spam Dtilt. May the best scrub win.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord

Any takers?
i tried this at gatech and all i got was elliot
worst nerd school ever

VietGeek

Smash Hero
so now, every 1 is going to melee? gah.. hey veit, friendly at aug's waba?
Nah, I'll still be playing the game I'm better at, Brawl. Unlike the Melee pros, who play Melee mostly and Brawl on the side, I'll probably do the inverse.

So...friendlies in both Melee and Brawl? xD

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Why would you recommend practicing 100s of hours with a character with a huge disadvantage? Waste of time IMO
Not neccessarily... *points at Reflex* he's placed very well in Melee tournaments, even placing money with... Bowser. O_o So, I see where you're coming from, but it's not entirely impossible to do. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom