• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] The Perth Power Rankings ~NEW UPDATE 23/09/10~ Version 5.2

Alzi

Smash Master
Also Hater may i point out.

During out doubles match with you and your partner. I told him are you sure you want to go Olimar? He did not realise he would get ***** very badly on jungle japes with Olimar thus he suicided about twice. lol.

I still think it may of been little early to update this. But i guess it makes sense when you think about it. I was expecting Quetz to go up to 5th but i understand why he didn't since he atleast has to beat Andy or get what position he got the next tournament.

Glenn is dead for now. I'm sure when he gets back into the Scene he will get back on there the same with Kane.

MTGod

Smash Champion
In terms of tournaments, Pete's better than me (currently we're 1-1, but my victory over him was last year whereas he beat me in OID1, thereby his victory has more weighting)... AFAIK Pete beat Glenn as well at AGC, but not too sure... Still, in terms of ability, whilst Glenn has a better depth of ability amongst a lot of characters his inability to stick with one character forces him to lose matches, and in tournaments this affects your progress... (Glenn's ICs >>> all his other chars though :p If you consider only his ICs then he'd be in the PR)...

Moral of the story - pick a main, stick with the main :D

EDIT:

Quetz did beat Andy, but keep in mind the PRs aren't just about 1v1 scenarios, it's how you play as a whole... I go pretty evenly with Quetz (and IMO yourself Alzi :p), yet fail super hard against Trill and Andy... In short - victory over someone above you doesn't necessarily out you above them, as there are many other considerations that can cause that result, like MUs, experience against the opponent etc.

Alzi

Smash Master
Yeah i know what you mean.

I go even with alot of people. But when i play serious i pull out the **** for about one or two stocks then go back to normal on the last stock.

Hater

Smash Ace
Wrong Jesse they are one v one as iv been told, Tbh i dont remember pete beating glenn or we would have heard more about it, I know trav beat glenn and i think it was either rick or andre that knocked him out

Also alzi quetz and andy are 1-1 as andy was already ranked he should be above quetz

Alzi

Smash Master
Pete did beat Glenn.

Glenn imo is better then him though. Glenn just isn't into brawl that much atm thats why it's affecting his gameplay.

But remeber 1-1 andy and quetz.

1-0 Alzi and quetz

And i think Andy and I are even but the only reason he was above me last time was because i was 0-1 with muzga.

But i beat Muzga this last tournmanet breaking and moving above andy.

Richard should have more characters next to his name too. :p

MTGod

Smash Champion
But 1v1 isn't the only thing they consider - the data is too scattered and distorted by time for this to be the only factor involved, not to mention MU probabilities...

MTGod

Smash Champion
Not directly (understandably - can't give credit to a **** player for playing a **** character :p), but it's a major factor in 1v1 scenarios, no???

MTGod

Smash Champion
I don't want to make it on there before Robocop - I want the element of surprise hehehe ;D

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Sorry but I'm agreeing with Trill here_ Personally I feel that Jesse has proven himself over Pete for 10th position throughout his development and shows mote potential skill wise_ Its nothing against Pete who I recommended for Honorable mentions after his last few outstanding performances, but I honestly see Jesse as being more developed skill wise than Pete at this present time_

Vlade

Social Outcast
Bob I've already responded in the social group but if the basis of your belief is that Jesse has more POTENTIAL skill wise, then it doesn't mean anything. The PR is meant to be an indicator of CURRENT skill level, not how good someone will be in the future. If Jesse was indeed more developed skillwise then he'd be placing better than Pete, which isn't happening.

I'd like to hear more points about why you think Jesse > Pete (preferably in the group)

MTGod

Smash Champion
Pete is better at the game than me, I agree, but not for this reason Vlade:

If Jesse was indeed more developed skillwise then he'd be placing better than Pete, which isn't happening.
This is a statement that is only valid in round robin events in which we are in the same pool... In a double elimination setting, this is not valid, as we each come up against different people and are rarely ever matched together (as I said previously, we've played twice in a tournament setting since October 2009 when I joined)... An example of this is OID2, where I got knocked into Loser's by Trill and he got knocked into Loser's by Trav, and we both were knocked out by Quetz... I placed higher than Pete purely because he came up against Quetz first in the bracket... Basically, in any one tournament the bracket for some will be easier than the bracket for others, which ultimately affects their placing (for example, I got a Lift with Mic, where I was the only player that received no Byes, and managed to place 7th or 9th after playing 5 matches, equal with some other people who only played 3)...

Purely guessing at this since we don't have archived results for most of 2010's tournaments, but I believe that if you looked at 2010 me and Pete would average out to the same placings... The two tournaments before OID2 he has definitely placed better than I, however the Starfox series had me placing better than him as well as OID2... In the case between him and I, tournament placings alone are not sufficient to separate us...

Pete should be above me in the PR because, whilst I think skill-wise we are pretty much even, he has a better knowledge of the game than I, which leads to him knowing how to tackle MUs properly, giving him an advantage over myself in inexperienced situations... That is really the only difference I see in our skill levels right now...

Pete278

Smash Lord
I think Vlade meant on average with the placings. Of course, if you take anything statistic based and look out only one outcome line, you will get things that wouldn't happen on the long term. The PPR should use a normal distribution curve for placings, and use that to determine the top 10. :D

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Can I join Perth's PR? NSW and VC aren't accepting me.
lol did you even ask us dude?
if you start coming to stuff regulary then sure you could be on it (after all I'm on it and I'm not from nsw ;))

also didnt really read the thread but if it helps you guys we tend to look more at who a person beat and how consistent they are as opposed to simply where they placed.

True Romance

Smash Ace
If you guys objectively look at recent results + who they beat and still think Jesse deserves to be higher then Pete, you're either dumb as **** or biased as all out. Not hating on Jesse, because he's majorly improved and if he mains some one less bad no doubt has the abillity to be a permanent fixture in the PRs.

They have both beaten one top player at one tourney. If you really want to nit pick Glenn was higher on the PRs then Andre was at the time so if any thing that carries more weight, though I wouldn't even get into that.

They have a 1-1 record against each other, with Pete winning their most recent encounter. Given that the PRs are based on current skill levels that could/should also stand as being a tick under Pete's column.

In two out of the last 3 tournaments Pete has convincingly out placed Jesse, one of these tournaments I believe Jesse came 7th (In a 12 man tourney) only beating one player I'd never heard of before. And in the tournament that Jesse out placed Pete I *believe* (not 100% sure as I only had a vague look at the last tourneys results) Jesse only out placed Pete by one position. Where as in the other two tournaments considered I'm pretty sure Pete out placed him by 2-3 positions (once again not 100% sure but from memory).

So I want some one to explain to me how the above doesn't lead to a pretty obvious conclusion. Oh yeah and looking into your crystal ball and divining the potetial skill levels of players is a nifty trick. However regardless of how well you can predict the future Bob, as Vlade said, you can NOT use a subjective view on a players possible future performances to make a decision on a PR that supposedly is representive of our scenes current position.

Pete used to be ****ing awful. He still is a giant pain in the arse. But if you're a panelist/scene member that can't see he clearly deserves his position right NOW, for all intents and purposes you suck.

Edit: Once again want to reiterate, nothing against Jesse, but that hate has to stop some where.

MTGod

Smash Champion
On the subject of tournament results, would we be able to get some posted from Starfox 4/5, Lift with Mic and AGC :p??? The archive only goes up to Starfox 3 :(

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
It's not personal Kane_ As Jesse pointed out, from my knowledge, both are fairly even results on average and in my opinion I saw more potential in Jesse from a performance perspective on the thought that both stood roughly equal in terms of tournament placings overall_

If people also cared to PM me the entire results for each tournament, we would have an accurately compiled list of each tournament as well as tournament rankings, which in turn would give more accurate justification instead of having to dig deep_

Hope that makes sense_

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
I tend to use others laptops for tournaments such as Alister + Pete's so I don't always have my results. You can find the three most recent tournament results with the brackets in the PPRP thread which I posted up for reference when making our decision.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
Yeah that's cool I can add them if people want Trav_ It just would of been great to have them at the start of the year_ If everybody is happy for at least the tournament placings to be listed, I will look into compiling them starting from the last 3_

MTGod

Smash Champion
Oid placings are all up in the tourney listings thread. If you let me know when you've copied the results over I'll delete the posts :) or a mod can do it for me if that's easier! :p

cHeWe

Smash Apprentice
hahahahahahaha glenn got owned, we must come to next tournament so he can get back his spot.....although im pretty sure he hates IC now he'll prob play snake lol

Pete278

Smash Lord
After the results of the most recent tournament, I believe Marty should be considered for 10th place (currently mine) or, at least, honourable mention. He quite easily defeated Alister 2-0 with a clutch victory in round 2 of this tournament, though he gave into pressure after that and lost two close games against Rick and Graeme. Even though he lost against non-ranked members, I believe the victory of Alister shows that Marty is clearly a top level competitor, and the committee should definitely take him into consideration.

Alzi

Smash Master
I think Jesse should go on as well as maybe Rick. Asuming you and Muzga get off the list. But Jesse will defiantly make it on there either way.

MTGod

Smash Champion
Lolpete... Your sarcasm proves that there should be a synonym more strongly connotated than "Blatant" XD

MTGod

Smash Champion
Not really...

Only change I could see happening is Quetz going up, given him placing consistently 4th every tournament... Everything else is fine the way it is (IIRC it's only been 2 tournaments Alzi's missed)

Top Bottom