• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

Alzi

Smash Master
I failed the non calculator part of my first maths test and i have a great thought that i passed the calculator part of the test. That test was on %'s and commision and discount and % increase i'm not really good in that area of maths either.

I'm doing my Digital photography Task thats ment to be finished in two more days which i will get done.

My movement of 1c/d english to 2a/b english is pending hopefully i get in and everything is good to go. Art now art i really need to catch up i'm already moved up i just need to draw alot of things that relate to the word Clash and theres a exam on art aswell and alot more stuff aswell. For my final piece i already know what to do i want to draw a camel where it's bottom half is a boat and it's on the ocean and on it's humps i can have ancient assyrian buildings with the assyrian flag somewhere on it. Clash of diffrent countrys basically and animals and viechieles.

Pete to fail is impossible. There is no excuse to fail if i study properly i won't be failing but if i don't study then yes i will fail. I can get into graphic design even if i don't complete year 12 but it will be very hard to get a job since they usually take in people who have completed a graphic design course through uni rather then the ones at TAFE. But i want to do good now complete uni so it makes the next through years easier.

Pete what fails is your Metaknight against my Ivy. ;) lol.

Pete278

Smash Lord
You can still get into uni if you don't get the necessary TER, it just takes alot more time and money. If you do the TAFE course, they'll allow you in in a post-graduate course, and there's other ways of getting in.

Trillest

Smash Ace
Pete you can do a certain amount of tafe time and still transfer to a uni as an undergraduate tbh I Have never heard of some1 going to tafe and being able to count that as a university degree and being able to take up post grad studies

MTGod

Smash Champion
DAYUM Netball is ****ing insane... Refs were so incredibly biased - every time I blocked a shot it was a foul T.T Stupid non contact sport... Blech... Anyway, for most people it's time to skimread :D

Someone who is failing 2a/2b maths is clearly not capable of withstanding the pressure of TEE, and should try for tafe or something else instead.
Pete, Uni success has absolutely zip to do with any high school success, TEE included... TEE is a crock of **** unless you get a decent high school that neither spoon feeds you or leaves you to learn everything yourself, which I imagine is nigh on impossible to find for all 5 or 6 subjects that you choose...

Not only are you generally more motivated in Uni (after first sem :p) due to a non-forced curriculum, you are also studying towards something you want to become (or should be!) and thus find the work more interesting along with more fun considering the stuff you do and get to play with, which translates to better marks... Case and point: I failed high school chemistry, and now I'm doing a Chemistry major and getting distinctions and high distinctions... It's not that the work is easier, it's that I don't have all this other **** I'm forced to learn as well as learning stuff I love doing :p

Did passing everything get you a 70 TER, like Alzi needs?
TER of 70 in our year was an averaged percentage mark of 40%... I got a TER of 91.25 with an average mark of about 60% IIRC... TER is a rank, not a mark :p

EVen if the worst happens and he doesn't get a high enough TER, this doesn't stop you from Uni - you can get into pretty much any institution by doing a Multidisciplinary Science one year course or similar to get the prerequisite marks for the course you want (analagous to "doing TEE again" but with better course structure, learning opportunities and exams that test understanding, not who can demystefy a series of terribly worded questions)... Basically, speak to the Uni to see what they can do for you if you do end up getting a worse mark than intended :p

EDIT: As you said:

You can still get into uni if you don't get the necessary TER, it just takes alot more time and money.
True, but that being said there are also other options... For example, you can forego Uni until you are a Mature Age student and thus your TER is irrelevant - all you need to do is sit an English exam to demonstrate language competency and you're pretty much set... In the mean time, you can work and travel the world or whatnot :p This was what I was planning to do if I didn't do well enough in TEE :p

I failed the non calculator part of my first maths test and i have a great thought that i passed the calculator part of the test. That test was on %'s and commision and discount and % increase i'm not really good in that area of maths either.
I feel your pain man - I had to revisit Trigonometry in Materials Chem today to figure out the perpendicular distance between two theoretical planes of a crystal lattice... I looked at it and was like "man that's piss easy", and then I sat down to do it and realised I had one friggin number to work with xD Took me about 15 minutes lol...

~~Shower time, yo!~~

Vlade

Social Outcast
Should I be studying in year 11 if I'm required to get a TER of 97? :S I'm pretty sure that's what I need to do law/engineering, but then again that might be suicide so might just go with law/japanese the easy way :D

I did 0 work these last 5 weeks and I'm getting about 70 in every subject except japanese, and I got 60 in lit :p I still haven't gotten comments about what I did wrong in the essay though so I have no idea how to improve. I kinda want A grades but I'm a very lazy person and don't think it's worth my free time to achieve my full potential right now. I'm nowhere near as motivated at school compared to smash/sf4/other games (except HON :D)

Enough of my thoughts I guess :p

I know Lit is important for law so I really want to do well in it, but as previously mentioned I'm not hugely motivated right now. That 60% was definitely a wake-up call though.

Alzi

Smash Master
DJBrowny does engineering maybe he might help and tell you how much he studied.

If you don't study then you will get into that habbit of not trying to get a perfect mark then once you try to get a perfect mark it will be harder then you thought it would be.

Trillest

Smash Ace
Vlade Are U Studying!

Not Joking srsly kinda mean Tertiary Entrance Rank of 97 means that you need to out perform 97% of students I say kinda because other factors affect your score i.e. scaling and moderation. For your mark though you have to aim to be perfect at everything (its ok if your not but that's what you should aim for) There are options which you will learn about later for getting into a course with that high entry requirement like studying another course and transfer within that university once you have shown your academic ability

Pete278

Smash Lord
Pete, Uni success has absolutely zip to do with any high school success, TEE included...
I could swear I said TEE pressure, not Uni pressure...Oh well. :p

Anyway, TER of 70 would be insanely easy to get, if he weren't doing subjects on the easy end of TEE. Subjects like he's doing will lose somewhere around 25% from scaling, so even if he gets 100% on the exam, he'd only end up with 75%. Last year, a TER of 70 was achieved by an average mark in your top four subjects of 54.5%, which means he'll need an average, pre-scaled score of about 79.5%.

EDIT: Vlade, for 97, you'd need an average, post-scaled score of 79.5%. :p

True Romance

Smash Ace
Engineering isn't *that* hard to get into. My GF got a tee of 96 or something stupid, but I think she only needed 85 to do eng.

Look guys I'm about to give you some extremely sage advice. Year 11 means diddly ****ing squat. My marks in year 11 would of not got me into the course I wanted to do. If you have will power year 11 is irrelevant, as if you are some what clever you can just up your game when **** gets real. If you're a lazy ****er by nature I highly suggest you start forming good study habbits asap.

Or you can just do what Buff and I did,

Instead of studying, play basketball
Power cram
?????
Profit (Both got first choice uni courses)

The above however isn't nesecarily ideal. And Alzi tbh you're like the boy who cried wolf with the whole "Gotta study can never come to a tourney again /pitty me" bs, correct me if I'm wrong guys but I'm pretty sure no one gives a **** any more. Look I'm sure you'd easily be able to get the marks you require as well as attend tourneys if you didn't spend your entire evenings sitting on your computer aggravating people on here and real brawlers.

Shot of concrete buddy.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Your TEE is our QCS.

I was in the top 16 in our school for QCS yet I still failed Maths.

High School is a pretty big pile of ****. If you don't get into uni, go work for a year, it will do you good.

Then you can just get in next year, easy.

Pete278

Smash Lord
That's because (assuming yours follows the same system as ours), only the top 4 subjects are used. You could fail two subjects and still get a TER in the 90s.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Oh.

You guys don't have a massive general knowledge test where you get marked against the other kids in school?

Trillest

Smash Ace
I could swear I said TEE pressure, not Uni pressure...Oh well. :p

Anyway, TER of 70 would be insanely easy to get, if he weren't doing subjects on the easy end of TEE. Subjects like he's doing will lose somewhere around 25% from scaling, so even if he gets 100% on the exam, he'd only end up with 75%. Last year, a TER of 70 was achieved by an average mark in your top four subjects of 54.5%, which means he'll need an average, pre-scaled score of about 79.5%.

EDIT: Vlade, for 97, you'd need an average, post-scaled score of 79.5%. :p
Pete you have no idea about scaling in my year the most scaled item of mine was 8% and im pretty sure the highest scaling would not be close to 25% let alone all of his subjects plz for once just admit you do not know what you are talking about and go read about it some more on wikipedia

Pete278

Smash Lord
You know the courses have been completely revamped since you did it, right? I've been through this whole thing with a guy who does the scaling, so, no, you're in the wrong here. The easiest TEE subjects are scaled from 20%-25%, as a fact.

EDIT: Well, not as a -fact-, its possible they'd be scaled less if everyone spontaneously got really good, or the teachers accidentally wrote a really hard exam and nobody noticed, or other such things.

True Romance

Smash Ace
The worst that a subject got scaled for me was 13%, and that was **** kid tee maths. All my subjects other then politcal+legal and english lit got scaled a bit but not overly from memory.

And I'm throwing it out there, it's completely impossible to detirmine what exact scalings will be, that's why they're such a pain in the arse. They're entirely based on how easy/hard the entire year group you're competing against found the subject. Some years may be cleverer then others. Some times you get a piss easy exam in a "hard" (lol hard subjects in high school?!) subject so it might be scaled more then usual or you might get a ****ed exam in an "easy" subject and it doesn't get scaled as badly as usual.

At least that's how it worked when I was in school, and if that's no longer the case it shouldn't really be called scaling any more if should just be called degree of difficulty penalties lol.

Tails.

Smash Journeyman
Yeah its huge news, some people have taken it as a bad thing. So yeah, this weekend coming up ill hopefully be able to tell you guys what's happening.
Unfortunate, but these things happen.

And Alzi, go get banned again. The world is a better place without you.

Pete278

Smash Lord
It is still varied depending on the people sitting it to a certain extent, but it is pretty much degree of difficulty penalties now. :p

Plus, for example, the math Alzi is doing is roughly equivalent to year 9 math.

EDIT: Tails, just tell us the news, bloody hell man. :(

Alzi

Smash Master
I want to hear the news aswell it sounds like it will be hard to say in real life anyway.

As for me i'm going to go to sleep. I might still go to the tournament on Sunday depends. I just need thriller practice and TRILL HAS COME UP WITH THE BEST THING TO DO.

SAM VS ALZI VS TRILL VS VLADE

TOON LINK FFA

WE ALL GANG UP ON SAMUEL'S TOON LINK KILL IT THEN VLADE AND TRILL GANG UP ON MY TOON LINK KILL IT THEN TRILL AND VLADE BATTLE IT OUT FOR BEST TOON LINK IN PERTH.

Lol i have a feeling sam is going to beat us even if we do gang up on him.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
If i keep getting 50% in all my test what TEE would i get?
It depends. you might get 50% in your TEE but because there was a lot of high results the grading curve could bump you down to a 45%

Aim high, that way if you just get a pass, mission's still accomplished.

MTGod

Smash Champion
Yeah its huge news, some people have taken it as a bad thing. So yeah, this weekend coming up ill hopefully be able to tell you guys what's happening.
I want to hear, but I'm pretty sure you're either a) getting married, or b) moving out of WA...

Splice

Smash Hero
Q's:

Mic what's your avatar got to do with stuff? Frown has a similair yellow one.

What's TEE stand for?

Is Perth education system different to VIC, is it whack yo?

Also I bet whatever news Tailz has involves quitting smash.

Tails.

Smash Journeyman
@Mic Splice? :/

Well its probs not big news to you guys but for me its a pretty huge step. I've decided to leave the mostly boring, controlled life I have here in Perth, which has been hard on me the past few years with family issues going wrong parents on verge of breaking up also grandparents having living issues, lately a lot of that **** has been going on in my life. im leaving Perth to live in Melbourne, ill be leaving in about 3-4 weeks time. I plan to start a fresh life, that's not controlled, and isn't as stressful. It has been a life long dream and im not giving up an oppunity like this.

So yeah sympathy/hate please post below.

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
Yep Jesse was right.

Well we lost another to the evil of the east, unfortunately I liked this one. Be sad to let you go.
Here's my request, don't leave until after March, need you here for my bday :p

MTGod

Smash Champion
Good luck over east, man ^^ Glad to hear you're taking your life into your own hands rather than letting your situation dictate you :p If you're ever planning a trip back to Perth I'm sure I'm not the only one who'll be willing to help you out :D

Remember, they do it differently over east - never sleep on your stomach :O

Braddles

Smash Apprentice
Lifes full of decisions man, some will work and some wont.. I had an impulse decision to come to perth, and it seemed to work out.. Find out what u want and go for it ;)

Top Bottom