• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vintage Silent Spectre Combo

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
entertainment is only more important than wins if youre a scrub who just cruises the boards and never expects to actually do well in tournament. otherwise you would be more preoccupied with wins than watching videos. thats why good players like watching jiano even though hes got a really boring falcon compared to others, you can see how good he is in the vids
lol thats the thing, you can win and be entertaining at the same time.

plus i would much rather do an amazing combo that everyone will remember forever, then win a tourney people will forget about after another tourney happens. see wut i mean?

and dam jiano is sexy

jugfingers

Smash Champion
yea imagine this

your falcon vs chu dats ice climbers

your both on the last stock of the last match of the last set of grandfinals of a major tourney,

you hit nana away from popo and start an incredible long string of uairs and nairs across the level finally knocking her off stage , you lunge off to finish her with a knee but shes just far enough away that you only hit her with a light knee knocking her slightly off screen,

now what would be more fun?

A) using your mid air jump to recover, with a good chance of winning the set, popo now nana-less.

B) using your remaining midair jump to combo into a second sweet-spotted knee, losing the set.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
yea imagine this

your falcon vs chu dats ice climbers

your both on the last stock of the last match of the last set of grandfinals of a major tourney,

you hit nana away from popo and start an incredible long string of uairs and nairs across the level finally knocking her off stage , you lunge off to finish her with a knee but shes just far enough away that you only hit her with a light knee knocking her slightly off screen,

now what would be more fun?

A) using your mid air jump to recover, with a good chance of winning the set, popo now nana-less.

B) using your remaining midair jump to combo into a second sweet-spotted knee, losing the set.
A would be more fun
because the falcon would prolly win:laugh:

TidalWave

Smash Apprentice
I try to entertain myself with my playing all the time (in friendlies, when I knock my opponent off stage, instead of the taking the easy edgehog I usually ledgehop aerial or something to kill them... the way I see it, its just more practice, more fun, and if you mess up and he lives it doesn't matter... any non-scrub would know what really happened anyway), but in the grand finals of a tournament, when money is on the line, I doubt I'd be messing around too much haha.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
i would much rather be recognized for doing something amazing each match then to be recognized for playing like a camping homo and doing anything and everything, no matter how gay, to win.

i love to win, i hate losing so badly, but when im playing crazy and i do something that just embarasses the other player, who cares? i realized that i can play to win and still be amazing at the same time, theres a good balance of that everyone should find. if you watch my newer videos you can see i do crazy sexy ish risking the match and yet still manage to win. its fun being sexy

TidalWave

Smash Apprentice
haha.. for the most part, agreed. The point of the game for me is to have fun. Only money being on the line would change that for me.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
i would much rather be recognized for doing something amazing each match then to be recognized for playing like a camping homo and doing anything and everything, no matter how gay, to win.

i love to win, i hate losing so badly, but when im playing crazy and i do something that just embarasses the other player, who cares? i realized that i can play to win and still be amazing at the same time, theres a good balance of that everyone should find. if you watch my newer videos you can see i do crazy sexy ish risking the match and yet still manage to win. its fun being sexy
I don't camp at all (except vs Jiggs) and I don't really gay people during tournament matches. I play the way I enjoy playing, which is dominating in first hits and overall hit percentage while maintaining control of the stage and of my opponent. I very rarely laser unless it's part of a string of attacks. My style is only truly impressive to people who are good at the game and understand how and why it works. Other people would only see my precision and tech skill and be impressed with that, which is ******** considering the amount of other factors that are involved.

You doing "crazy sexy" whatever in friendly matches vs your friends does not mean anything in the context of this conversation as it does not come close to being the same situation as playing in the grand finals of a tournament. When it comes time to actually win vs do some stupid combo that puts you at risk of losing, it would be ******** to choose the combo.

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
Cactuar is more than just "good." This is NOT an overstatement.

A lot of your points would be true in the past, but the metagame of melee has shifted enormously, and not just the actual playing. My analysis game is strong enough that, while I agree that you can't really compare the overall skill of a player to another through videos with any real accuracy, I can judge different areas of their gameplay and point out areas they are strong and weak in. Technical mistakes are obvious, but I look much more in depth and pay attention to moments of hesitation, how they respond to pressure, variations in responses, approach games, the player's spacing vs different characters, how the player spaces at different sections of the stage, how the player shifts heights using platforms, etc.
This.

I really didn't want to start a debate over this issue so I posted nothing. And seeing as how Cactuar already nailed it on the head, I figured there really is no point to stretch it out any further.

Also... @ Cactuar:

I really don't know why you're wasting your time replying to JonaDiapers posts. It's obvious he's a noob so why waste your time. Just saying.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
I don't camp at all (except vs Jiggs) and I don't really gay people during tournament matches. I play the way I enjoy playing, which is dominating in first hits and overall hit percentage while maintaining control of the stage and of my opponent. I very rarely laser unless it's part of a string of attacks. My style is only truly impressive to people who are good at the game and understand how and why it works. Other people would only see my precision and tech skill and be impressed with that, which is ******** considering the amount of other factors that are involved.

You doing "crazy sexy" whatever in friendly matches vs your friends does not mean anything in the context of this conversation as it does not come close to being the same situation as playing in the grand finals of a tournament. When it comes time to actually win vs do some stupid combo that puts you at risk of losing, it would be ******** to choose the combo.
short hair dont care

i understand why and how it works, and i am good at this game, but i guess if you really enjoy playing like that, keep doing it. i enjoy playing a different way and i guess it all comes down to a preference. i just like combos, and the situation of me playing friendlies vs playing grand finals in tourney wouldnt be much different to me. i dont get nervous, i dont feel pressure, and i always play the same way. so the only thing that would change would be my opponent.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
SS iss pretty ****
it's not **** anymore with SS.
at this point, you almost want him to combo the balls out of you.
it's consensual sex now.

and i didn't mean to sound anti-cacktar.
i actually like watching him play. he's good good.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
its not a question vs camping or not camping

its a question of being good at this game

you might as well say phanna is better than hugs because he does super wavedash all the time and prove your point/ignorance even further

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198

you might as well say phanna is better than hugs because he does super wavedash all the time and prove your point/ignorance even further
good point. DSF got 7 in melee @WCSL by ledge camping his *** off with jiggs and marth.
(that's what you do when you've been playing only brawl since it came out LOLOL)

but it worked so no one complained.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion

i never said anything about camping. im talking about boring vs entertaining.

phanna does do amazing things do. i mean hes like a genious when it comes to this game.

but better then hugs? nah, im not being ignorant...

anyone watch junnie on the ultimate fighter tv show?

when he flipped out when efrain beat the other guy saying thats all the ufc needs, another boring ufc fighter?

junnie was ignorant then but he was right. boring fighters are ********. junnie knew he could back up his talk. and he did. hes an exiting fighter, and he wins. you can be exiting and win. but being boring and winning is just ********.

just like here, people always play "safe" so they dont mess up and lose.

my opinion..

you should always try and do some crazy and new, instead of doing what works and only what works. stop doing one hit and running away, and continue doing it. just cuz it works some times means it gonna work forever? no.
eventually your gonna need to change your style cuz people are gonna figure you out cactuar. and i hope everyone can eventually change to doing what works to creating there own new things.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
just cause you dont call doing "one hit and running away" camping doesnt mean youre not mentioning it

the point everyone is trying to make is that entertainment value has nothing to do with how good someone is at the game, which is what this originally was about and which you now seem to agree with. good players are generally entertained by people who win because they recognize the intelligent and effective decisions they make, regardless of how flashy they are.

basically im saying its almost impossible to beat good players while playing in a completely boring way, you have to do smart things. im not good at playing safe, im always really impressed by players who are able to play safe and avoid getting hit. the ability to win always impresses me more than flashiness, such as in phanna, who was not nearly as good as his vids would suggest and hardly ever made it out of pools in tournaments.

jugfingers

Smash Champion

I def agree that completely destroying your opponent with utter positional/predictive/spacial/physical/mental control like your 4th match vs darkrain at event52 is definitely far more impressive than a single "**** combo"

but for some that **** combo is often more fun

and doing a combo that puts you at risk of losing in the grand finals makes it that much more fun/hilarious than doing it in a friendly match. and some people "enjoy" that aspect more than getting consistent W's

there is a similar disagreement between, organized ball and streetball.

for instance proponents of organized ball would consider it ******** that joey haywood
simply turned around and tossed the ball to the ghetto scrub he just busted instead of going in for the easy layup and win.

as seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbnhX-pUcKg

or after breaking some dude, backs off and lets him regain his defensive position instead of just continuing to the hoop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRhqmRMs5Ro&feature=related

for some, this style of play is just more fun/interesting than the style that is taught in mainstream basketball programs which is solely based off winning.

EDIT

im not trying to defend jonas argument, cause I don't think were really saying the same thing Im just trying to defend the joy of clowning your opponent(not in a malicious way, or a way of gaining respect. but purely for chuckles, howls and belly rumbles which I think is more important than winning)

basically

Belly Rumbles >>> winning.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
thanks bailey., I've always wanted to be your money.

maybe one day we can sing and prance around in an olive grove together.

Im down whenever.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
ah of course. I was thinking money as meaning sort of the same thing anyways. I was confused because you misspelled my name as well.

I hope the prancing in the olive grove is still on though.

DrewB008

Smash Lord
im not saying **** combos arent cool

im just saying youre not a better player for doing them

if you think people doing cool moves in street ball are better players than those in the nba who win games, youre wrong, thats all there is to it. if you dont think that, then theres no problem here.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
THANK YOU! The basketball analogy was great. Someone who has good handle, rarely passes, and always does the same "pro hop-step" through the lane is considered very good. As opposed to those who have the boring, more effective playstyle. That annoys me. "He's nice!" No, he's flashy.

But if you can be flashy and still be effective, more power to you. Overall, winning>looking good.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
im not saying **** combos arent cool

im just saying youre not a better player for doing them

if you think people doing cool moves in street ball are better players than those in the nba who win games, youre wrong, thats all there is to it. if you dont think that, then theres no problem here.

ohhhh man, i can bet everything i own that a street ball player would whoop any nba player. just becuase of the ability to cross them over and over again...

if you can be flashy vs a good player, you are the better player..and sexier player

THANK YOU! The basketball analogy was great. Someone who has good handle, rarely passes, and always does the same "pro hop-step" through the lane is considered very good. As opposed to those who have the boring, more effective playstyle. That annoys me. "He's nice!" No, he's flashy.

But if you can be flashy and still be effective, more power to you. Overall, winning>looking good.

like i said, if you have good knowledge on di, knowing what to do next, what to follow what, and basically your good at comboing, you can be the sexiest player ever, and still win.

its good to have that in the bag tho. even if your a boring player, occasionally trying to do something cool is fun.

i know if we had a pole saying do you prefer sexy combo players or boring players that win, it would be about a 75% in the favor of sexyness.

lol sexy, i like saying that.

TidalWave

Smash Apprentice
I personally treat every smash match as if I was held at gunpoint and forced to play chess against The Chessmaster for my life. Super Smash Brothers Melee is not made for fun. If you are not doing everything in your power to win, there is no point to even thinking about touching the controller. Losing is worse than genocide. Anyone with great combo ability is obviously a failure, as this is evidence that they once diverted their focus from winning and decided to goof around.

/sarcasm

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
haha but flashiness/sexiness is what makes this game fun for a lot of people. lol
is this really an argument about efficiency here?

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
its an argument on why vids are watched....noobs watch it for entertainment....real players watch to learn, regardless of the playstyle. if it wins, figure out why.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
ah... i see.

well when i'm watching a combo video, it's usually for entertainment purposes.
flashy combos or just plain overkill.
but watching a set between too really good people, i notice the spacing, the baiting, and most of all, how to START combos. not how to keep combos going.

a combo video can be entertaining even if it's against the same noob you always play.
but in matches, you can see how to earn kills, or combos. you can see what to punish and how to avoid punishment.

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
but the cool thing about combos to me, is watching what was taken advantage to allow the combo in the first place. it's a learning thing. combo videos don't help you with that part. haha
um... yeah

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
its an argument on why vids are watched....noobs watch it for entertainment....real players watch to learn, regardless of the playstyle. if it wins, figure out why.
lol if your a good player you dont need to learn. i realized that although im not the best, i dont need to base my playstyle based on anyone elses. i have learned some things from other players in the past when i was in the learning stage. even tho everyone will always technically be in the learning stage, there is no need for me to learn as urgently as i did before. everyone has the ability to see a situation in a different way, but many people lose their originality and individuality when the begin to watch and copy and imitate other players. i prefer to be myself then to be known as having the "cactuar style" or "scar style" or anyones style. i want to be myself and to watch videos in order to learn and steal ideas from other players and base yourself completely on them is just stupid. i admit that i have used the ideas of other players, but i do them in my own way.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
a good player is always learning. you dont have to copy someones style. but you can see certain situations how some players get out of them (or get themselves in).

like anything, someone who is the best or good, never stops learning.

JonaDiaper

Smash Champion
noob players/brawl noobs/bad players will try and copy anything they see. they have no originality.
once you get to a certain point you can figure things out on your own, depending on yourself rather then videos and what people write.

Top Bottom