• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Thread

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I just don't approach Ness players and wait for a projectile. It eventually works out.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
But they aren't ViceGrip! =P

Like...I dunno, ViceGrip for the most part never lets me get away with anything dumb or disrespectful, and he baits far better than I do. I gimped him once with Bucket on a hard read in tournament, and that was basically about as stupid as I ever could be to him. Oh and platform camping with D-tilt on BF and just spacing everything well also won me that set.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
GIMR, your games VS Omni were fun to watch. I like your playstyle, it's somehow diffferent from mine, so I could learn few things here and there.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Me vs. Omni(MK):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRjNLjQcebc

The Dair at 1:35. I hate getting Utilted from Dair soo much. I know not to do it, i know its a bad idea. I do it anyways. And getting my Dtilt shielded pisses me off too. It's like hey, Dtilt you got my back? Yeah i got your ba... sorry man, he ran up and shielded.
3:07 did you foot stool? U are my Rock!
If you haven't noticed I D-air A LOT. The reason I don't get punished for it as much as you think I would is because I try to mix it up as much as possible. For example, sometimes ill straight up d-air my opponents shield. This conditions a certain timing for grabbing the d-air out of shield. After a couple times I'll hit my opponents shield and then slow fall the d-air so they grab at the wrong time. Then I grab or combo him out of the hit

Also @ 3:07 I did foot stool him but it wasn't on purpose, I guess I accidentally setup a frame trap. I think I'm gonna start using it more

GIMR, your games VS Omni were fun to watch. I like your playstyle, it's somehow diffferent from mine, so I could learn few things here and there.

thanks man

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
D-throw to buffered D-air is legit if he doesn't tech. What GIMR should have done midmatch was buffer turnarounds before the D-air so he could get both hits. =P

Rizen

Smash Legend
critique?

My scrub G&W is s-l-o-w-l-y improving. Watching other G&Ws like GIMR helped.
These are friendly wifi games that won't show MUs well. The opponent had room for improvement too.
Please critique, the Ness match is my preference if you're only critiquing one. Thanks:bee:.
RizenG&W vs:

Pika
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLT2a6X3eDo
(Did I Dtilt stage-spike him at the end?) I have trouble landing grabs:c.

Ness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3G0fT14rJY
Everyone's advice from last time really helped;).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Getting grabs becomes easier the more familiar you are with G&W's ground tools. Jabbing is an obvious setup into grab. Being able to pressure people into blocking and then grabbing them while they are blocking or trying to escape is also something that you learn with experience.

Generally speaking most of the F-smashes you did should have been D-tilts. In some cases dashgrabbing is also preferable, especially when you're going for punishes.

Also you probably spotdodge because it's actually a decent option for Link and also because he doesn't have as many spacing options as G&W does. With G&W, you should pretty much refrain from spotdodging period unless you're going for a Jab/Grab, because the majority of G&W's options out of dodge are not fast enough, and G&W also GENERALLY benefits more from using his mobility to avoid things. Up-Bing out of shield is almost always better than spotdodging if you're in trouble. If you need a panic reflex, make it Up-B out of shield.

The fact you don't buffer aerials puzzles me still, especially when you can B-air or F-air out of shield for punishes. And while you're playing a lot of short characters, 90% of the cast on the ground does get hit by buffered fullhop F-airs/B-airs (though fullhop B-air is more situational).

You're also pretty clumsy with turnarounds, and probably with G&W's physics in general. When you have free time, you should practice navigating a stage like Rainbow Cruise with your character so that you can get better familiarity not just with the stage, but your character's mobility options in general. Practicing things as simple as walking -> turnaround D-tilt, landing and buffering moves after landing, and pretty much anything you can imagine that looks "smooth" is a good way to get better with a character.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^Okay, thanks.
I'm still working on controlling G&W. Easy matches mean I have to think less so they're better for me to learn the character but not the MU. In this I roll a ton:urg: but juggle and am getting the feel of G&W better. Will someone please give a general critique?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE36Wgjpfws
One of the few wifi matches where the connection was green; most of my games are light orange or worse.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Lol good job 3 stocking that DK.

It seems like you're improving with every video you post, so that's a good sign. I'd work on rolling/spot dodging less, and trying to control the space around DK a bit more. Also, you should full hop your fairs so you don't experience that awful landing lag.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Lol good job 3 stocking that DK.

It seems like you're improving with every video you post, so that's a good sign. I'd work on rolling/spot dodging less, and trying to control the space around DK a bit more. Also, you should full hop your fairs so you don't experience that awful landing lag.
Have to agree, full hop Fair is like benediction for all G&Ws.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Hmm. You seemed to be doing mostly everything right, except I think during the last stock you got way too scared. Vs IC's there are times where you just gotta be a man and attack them. Their shield isn't amazing, and nana is dumb, so it's not incredibly risky. Like the second stock you were being fairly aggressive and it was working out well.

Also I would've tried stalling vs sopo 2nd stock :/.

PantyRaider08

Smash Journeyman
With ICs I try to just camp platforms and look for openings. If they are trying to up air you, you can sidestep and down smash. Although, you have to bait that. Don't ever just go in and try to bair. That will get you grabbed. If you manage to kill Nana and you have the lead. CAMP hard.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Not ever bairing takes away such a fantastic move that ****s over nana really hard. You just have to be selective when you use it.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
yeah, I was definitely playing way too scared last stock. I'm beginning to master the match up. I'm starting to realize that being aggressive is extremely important but you just have to mix it up to confuse your opponent. If you notice I was just empty jumping around his shield at one point

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
yeah, I was definitely playing way too scared last stock. I'm beginning to master the match up. I'm starting to realize that being aggressive is extremely important but you just have to mix it up to confuse your opponent. If you notice I was just empty jumping around his shield at one point
After seeing your game I was kinda surprised how you wanted to avoid every moves from the ICs. The only gamebreaking move that ICs can attempt at you is chaining Uair, or getting a CG. ICs grab range is ridiculously low, so you should be able to poke with Bair without getting grabed. I think you just need more confidence on your approaches and you will be just fine. :)

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
ICies can run in and shield grab the b-air, that's what I was most afraid of. Cheese knew this too. I just got to remember that he isn't going to do it every time so I shouldn't be so scared

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
ICies can run in and shield grab the b-air, that's what I was most afraid of. Cheese knew this too. I just got to remember that he isn't going to do it every time so I shouldn't be so scared
On retreating Bair you should be safe, on Place Bair is kinda soso, but yeah I understand the fear of getting catched.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Critique please?

my CStick breaks halfway through game 1, and I don't recover from it in game 2.
Hard core gamer!

Critique please. This Snake outplayed me; I could not pull ahead :( . I tried to integrate advice from past critiques, which helped. There’s still some habits like Nair>bucket cancel, don’t roll, and Dtilt that I need to work on.
Rizen G&W vs Navi (Snake)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDuB8Rrsc9I

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Hard core gamer!

Critique please. This Snake outplayed me; I could not pull ahead :( . I tried to integrate advice from past critiques, which helped. There’s still some habits like Nair>bucket cancel, don’t roll, and Dtilt that I need to work on.
Rizen G&W vs Navi (Snake)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDuB8Rrsc9I

The snake MU is really a nightmare for G&W. Playing on the ground is very risky, so I wouldn't recommend staying near him for some extended amount of time. He usually have a ridiculous adventage due to it's powerfull and long range tilts, and his grabs.
You want to put snake airborn so you can chain Nair or Uair on him.

0:50, if you're not sure you can hit him with Nair, just Uair. It will sometime reset and give you another chance to Nair again for some jugles. Also snake's Aerial comes out pretty fast, but if they are preticted and he hard lands on the ground, you can punish him quiet easily. Always imagine he can Bair or Uair violently on you if you're above (1:00).
1.25: Heavy SDI on the right or up side might have you avoided the final hit. Although it's harder to do on Wifi, I know.
2:30 pretty good jungle. This is EXACTLY what you should be aiming to do whenever possible. Also mixup with Uair for more air time. And try to predict his Nade Reversal, so you can keep Uairing > Nairing.

Just few tips for the MU. :)

@Supreme Dirt and Makke give me some time to review your games. :)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Snake isn't that scary. It just REALLY sucks to get outplayed by him because it's costly to make a mistake against him. Above all the most important things in this matchup are you need to be COMPLETELY comfortable with the spacing of G&W's B-air and F-air, and you also need to have intimate knowledge of when grabbing works, and you also just need to be be careful to never commit to a juggle or followup that is unsafe. Against Snake, you want to be able to confidently space against him without setting off grenades, and whenever you see him commit to grenades, you also want to be able to threaten him with grab.

When you started the match, don't spotdodge when he F-tilts your shield. That time it worked, but USUALLY it's not safe and gets punished. Your two best options are to either wait for the 2nd hit and aerial out of shield, or to mash an aerial out of shield after the first hit. While he can technically interrupt the latter, he can't kill you for doing this because his F-tilt 2nd hit does significantly less damage/knockback on aerial opponents.

When Snake is on the edge, you want to be in a position so that when you shield his GUA you can punish it. Drop shield F-smash works, or if you really have balls, U-smash out of shield is viable here.

You generally should avoid using a lot of Smashes in this matchup unless it's F-smash to stop random Mortar Slides, U-smash to juggle him, or any Smash out of shield when he does a ledge attack.

When you grabbed Snake for the first time, you should have done DA instead of D-smash, which not only was guaranteed on tech in place/no tech, but would have put Snake in a better position for followups.

Honestly it's fine to be bad at the Snake matchup when you're learning a character. A decent Snake player in general is going to destroy a suboptimal playstle if your spacing and ground game is not completely tailored to Snake's little gimmicks. But at any rate, what you can learn from playing against Snake is that it's a matchup where you are rewarded a lot for simple good execution. If you master good spacing, juggle tactics, and grab pressure, you'll start winning this matchup a lot more consistently.

The other thing I hate about Snake is that as I'm implying, you have to relearn the Snake matchup whenever you pick up a new character. In general, the same fundamental tactics work for most characters against Snake, but the level of execution required to play competently is something that just takes a ton of work for each individual character you learn.

Splice

Smash Hero
lol breaking the c-stick.

Such a Game and Watch thing to do <3 <3 <3

Rizen

Smash Legend
(critique)
(critique)

The other thing I hate about Snake is that as I'm implying, you have to relearn the Snake matchup whenever you pick up a new character. In general, the same fundamental tactics work for most characters against Snake, but the level of execution required to play competently is something that just takes a ton of work for each individual character you learn.
Thanks for the critiques, I'll work on refining my game and those points:).

Snake is hard to learn and relearn, he's great at shutting down a character's options. I need to learn MUs with G&W; vs most characters I play a stereotypical G&W and end up being really predictable:glare:.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Wait.

Why'd I post vids of my Lucario here? What?

Whatever, my bad.

I'll fix that.

That's really odd, no idea how that happened.

Rizen

Smash Legend
critique my scrub G&W?

vs Falco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inkWHbXVh54

Good people destroy me and I think it's because I'm clueless about how to kill, punish, and what attacks beat the opponent's options. G&W still feels weird to play:c.
If people can critique and say what to do instead of how I messed up that would be much appreciated:).

Alphicans

Smash Hero
vs Falco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inkWHbXVh54

Good people destroy me and I think it's because I'm clueless about how to kill, punish, and what attacks beat the opponent's options. G&W still feels weird to play:c.
If people can critique and say what to do instead of how I messed up that would be much appreciated:).
I've decided to go through the entire match, and tell you everything you did wrong, and what you can do to do better. You keep posting videos, and I appreciate your efforts on trying to get better, so I wanna help you. I understand it's wifi, so maybe some of the the things you did were by accident, so don't take anything I say offensively. I am just gonna lay it all out. Here we go:

So at the beginning when you fsmashed him, you did what I would've done as a follow-up: a bair to cover multiple options while still leaving you perfectly safe if he chose an option that didn't cover it. That was good.

:15 you should've upB'd
:17 You should've grabbed him. When he started jabbing you should've upb'd. Also, rolling is a bad idea in general, and ESPECIALLY bad when he is right next to you. Don't do that ever.
:24 was a hard read on you... but when they are hovering around the ledge when you're on it, don't just jump up. Do an aerial, or air dodge into a smash or grab, or even upB. Do something, or else that will happen lol.

:31, should've went for a dash attack or grab (grab probably). Also, when he's lasering from afar like that, take the opportunity to fill your bucket a little bit. You didn't do that at all, and falco should actually fear filling your bucket in this match-up.

:42 You should've dsmashed or dash attack out of this dthrow. This applies to every dthrow you didn't do anything out of. Just because teching is possible, doesn't mean you can't try this. Infact, sometimes both of those hit out of tech depending which way they tech and where they landed.

1:00ish, you rolled twice right next to him. Spot dodge or something... Perhaps punish with an aerial.

1:10 don't come down with a nair right above him like that. If you want to come down with a nair, you have to cross his side and nair his side, or you could do the same thing and bair, or even air dodge to grab. Don't leave your underside so vulnerable like that. (you did it more than that one time but it never got punished).

1:15 punish that with a fair
1:23 punish that, don't roll (looked like a wifi mistake, but bair would've worked if you didn't know).
1:33 punish with a fair... lol.

1:46 just upB when falco is next to you jabbing at low percents. It means he wants to grab you, an upB resets the situation, which is a VERY GOOD THING.

1:58 roll into falco to dsmash. NO! Don't roll, and if you do on accident just upB right after.
2:03 punish with fair, not grab (unless you have godly shield DO).

At the end he just read you like a book, only playing more can fix that.

Ok now for just some general vs falco tips:

Vs. falco always use the platforms if there are any. On SV, I suggest staying on the platform THE ENTIRE MATCH if an option. Yes, this does mean I want you to try and time him out. If you fall behind a stock, take it very slow, and just fish for an opening. Avoid him and pressure with well spaced bairs, buckets and use well timed dairs (or an aerial really) vs his phantasm. The idea is to get him either off the stage or into the air (or on the platform above you). In general, vsing falco on the ground is a losing battle and you will always lose if the falco is at all any good. Most of what I just talked about applies to snake.

Also I just want to say that you should use upB A LOT MORE. Like holy **** that move is good, and hits characters out of their aerials and resets situations (and sometimes gives you an upperhand if you hit them), so use it liberally. There is rarely a bad time to use it, and it's virtually impossible to punish.

I hope that all helps. If you want, I can do another one of these complete critiques, it's kind of fun lol. And to anyone else, correct me if I said anything wrong, but I think I know the falco match-up well as I've played it a lot and I co-main falco.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^ Thanks a lot for the critique! I'll keep working on things like UpBing, not rolling, Fair/Bair to punish, Dthrow follow ups, MUs, and my game in general.

Edit:
I uploaded some wifi videos vs MK. I actually play half decent:bee:. These were recorded as they happened so you can see some wifi lag.
RizenG&W vs metalcooler117 (MK) wifi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ8uSf19wL0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY_vwRN-kEI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KAiGO66Qsc

Critiques on any are welcome. The first was our first friendly, 2nd was my best game and 3rd was my worst. I don't know which is best for critiques.

Top Bottom