• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Thread

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Hard to say much when it was pretty clear some janky wifi shenanigans were afloat. However generally D-smash is one of the best options for punishing Tornado. U-air, Up-B, and Dash Attack also are good for that purpose as well.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Punish tornado in what sense? Hitting tornado with smash attacks is really hard, and hitting him after the move ends is impossible as long as he backs off. Dash attack or UpB is probably the best.

I watched the first match and it was SOOOO laggy. Don't wanna comment on that lol.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If you read that it's coming, it's not too hard to space a D-smash to knock MK out of the Tornado. It hits pretty high, and it's the most disjointed of G&W's Smashes.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Okay. Yeah those tornadoes were annoying; I didn't know what to do and kept trying to Dair MK out of them.

Most of my matches are that laggy or worse, being in a bad smash region (CO) sucks:urg:. My metagame is built around bad connections, lol.

Thanks for watching:), despite the lag:(.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Key word is that if you read it's coming.
It's not like that opportunity never happens in moments where it's practical. The fact is if you know that he's going to Tornado in certain situations, you might as well teach him it's not wise if you can punish him extremely hard for it. D-smash has the disjoint to do this pretty **** effectively if you ask me.

Hi every one here comes a friendly match
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqcDvIM8RMc
Grab more (especially after B-airs). Use Chef more for edgetrapping. Aside from that though very solid gameplay. Good spacing and good punish choices for the most part.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
That match was hilarious. Anyhow aside from the fact it was pretty silly, good stuff. You have pretty good control over the stage for the most part, and I really liked that. I feel there were a few situations where your spacing with D-tilt could have been better, but that's about it honestly.

Personally I don't see Brinstar as being good for Snake, just a lot of characters do significantly worse on it due to the platform layout and the lava. G&W isn't one of them though.

Lifes

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lifes14
@GIMR > I don't upload so many matches and my english is a little simple that's the reason why you don't hear me a lot x)

@A2ZOMG > Thanks for the advice

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Not suited for critiques unless someone's really into wifi :( . I Dthrow chased well :) .

RizenG&W vs TGM (Ike) wifi 4-22-11.MPG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZZB6hXhqhw
Rolling/spotdodging to Smash is bad, dunno why it randomly worked but oh well. When you landed Chef, you should have been going for a free followup such as grab, F-air, Judgement, U-smash, idk point is Chef combos are super legit, and in general I felt outside of D-throw related combos you were a bit afraid to go for followups (G&W is very strong at these). And then you want to be throwing out more buffered fullhop F-airs as usual.

I might consider wifi. Maybe. I just need to borrow a LAN adapter from a friend, but if I'm bored and have free time...I might consider going up a few rounds to see if I can get a better feel for where your playstyle is at. I like to think that my playstyle is very focused on being optimized to the matchup and picking good options rather than adapting to the player, so hopefully if I can get some time to play you, I'll do my best to demonstrate some things that I think are useful for G&W.

Lifes

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lifes14
OK... i didnt want to share this (cuz i lost xD)... but this was my GAW two torneys ago... (i know i didnt use chef).
the last torney was today, and i was playing horrible, and i didnt make it out of pools xDDD, so no videos.
so critique please. i really want to improve with GAW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WylVc0wiqgE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vSfon1kbZQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWb5H_KxZoA
When MK has lost a stock before you, he is always playing aggressively you shouldn't approach him he has to and play really carrefully.
Also when he's using his tornado i think Bup would be better than Dair

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
OK... i didnt want to share this (cuz i lost xD)... but this was my GAW two torneys ago... (i know i didnt use chef).
the last torney was today, and i was playing horrible, and i didnt make it out of pools xDDD, so no videos.
so critique please. i really want to improve with GAW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WylVc0wiqgE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vSfon1kbZQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWb5H_KxZoA
Chef isn't VITAL but still, it is a good move to make use of.

Vid1 Vs. Metaknight

:17 You followed the roll correctly but used the wrong move...If you had used a move other than USmash(it's kinda silly to use at such a low percent after a tech chase) then you would've done well

:36 Dat first stock

1:17 Judgment off the ledge isn't exactly a good move...

1:41 Unless he made a horrible mistake, there's no way that Usmash would have hit him

1:47 It's usually best to airdodge away from someone

1:54 When a character starts a tech chase, UpB is a good option to use

2:08 Good kill

2:23 Practically the only fair you use in the match...and it's a shorthop. Full hop Fair isn't AS useful in this matchup since MK's so short, but it's great when he's in the air, just space it well

2:39 More Judgment...That would've been a great opportunity for a grab.

Vid2 Vs Metaknight

1:00 Don't ALWAYS try to punish Nado, sometimes it's good just to retreat

1:08 Very silly move on the MK's side

1:48 I saw that! Why do you use Judgment so much? It's more of a punish than it is a 'use whenever you want' sort of move

2:38 Roll dodging towards (and in general) an opponent/move is a bad idea with G&W

Vid3 Vs Metaknight

:00-:27 Lots and lots of Dair! The key(blade) is a great move and tool, but you're over using it, remember, you don't -have- to use it when you're above someone

1:17 I suggest you look up how MK lands when he uses Shuttle loop from various parts of the stage so you have an idea of where he'll land

1:41 Shield pooooooooooke

3:58 I know in situations like this is particularly hard to make the right move, a grab would've been good

4:44 Risky, but good move

4:46 Judgment is mediocre at best out of Dthrow techchase, there are much more viable options (especially at such a low percent)

Overall, your G&W is pretty good, your spacing in the first match was great for the most part. Things to work on: Fair and Nair are good aerials too! Every Nair/Fair I saw missed or was used for momentum cancelling (Nair is of course useful for this as well) Less Dair and Judgment. Dair is a good move, yes, but :00-:27 in the third video should point out how much you overuse this move. Judgment is a fairly good move, but you used it too much, try using when you are at least 90% positive it'll hit (usually during lag time or when a character is vulnerable recovering, like Snake) You also used USmash quite a bit, but it was when he was high in the air, and MK has plenty of options to punish you for using it. Try to incorporate grabs more into your game (in place of some other things, such as Judgment coughcough)

Hopefully one of the better G&Ws can provide some critique, but I hope mine can be useful to you.

nekokatsu

Smash Apprentice
thks!, i will stop spamming judge xDDD, & ill try to grab also... and the nado thing, yeah i always want to punish that!!!, so they never use the nado again xDDD... so in that day, i tried, shield then roll, up air but i missed all tha time(in friendlies so it wasnt recorded) and SDI up KEY xDD and that worked that day, soo i used it xD, until i didnt work anymore...

but for the next time, i will be trying to SDI UP UPB.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
thks!, i will stop spamming judge xDDD, & ill try to grab also... and the nado thing, yeah i always want to punish that!!!, so they never use the nado again xDDD... so in that day, i tried, shield then roll, up air but i missed all tha time(in friendlies so it wasnt recorded) and SDI up KEY xDD and that worked that day, soo i used it xD, until i didnt work anymore...

but for the next time, i will be trying to SDI UP UPB.
If you're both grounded, the best way to punish nado is to upB away from him when you're in the slant before getting hit, it'll send him up really high, and coupled with upair, put him in an awful position.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1wub4Jg8dY

DSmash is also a viable option on the ground, but the timing and spacing is something you have to get used to.

If you're on the ground and he's above you, even a bit, Uair is your best friend.

nekokatsu

Smash Apprentice
yeah, i saw that video like one week after this tourney xDDD... ill try it next time.

derkapalooza

Smash Journeyman
hey guys, do you ever do team vid critiques? i have this vid from the last tourney me and my partner played at and i would really like some tips for my g&w. tips like what i did well, what i should work on, you know the deal. since were going to be attending the first tourney in the brand new texas circuit, i really wanna do well in all the events. oh and if you guys have any suggestions for my partner as well im sure he would welcome the input as well :)

http://youtu.be/XHJ-WRwnT80

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I have never seen anyone get comboed like that by marth ever. He doesn't do that to GaW, I don't know why you're letting it happen. Air dodge is an option lol.

You got hit my fthrow -> fair like every time >_>. Oh and that one time you got hit by nair to uair... Nair shouldn't even connect like that. Just sdi down and boom upB him and guess what, now you're in control.

Marth shouldn't play aggressive like that vs GaW. The reason this match-up is so hard is because our aerials are so susceptible to being upB'd OoS and just overall countered by his moveset. He gains so much from us acting first. I need to see more upb from you.

Oh some of that survival DI... Lol. Not to be mean but some of it was lol worth. You got killed by non tippered fsmash from the middle at like... less than 100%?

But overall I think you're a talented player, even though my rant there made it seem like I think you're garbage.

EDIT: Use dthrow, it's way better than bthrow/fthrow. You can dash attack and dtilt + tech chase. He was giving you so many grabs, even though with good spacing landing a grab on marth is very difficult.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I've always wanted to mess around with stuff like that on ROB but never bothered because I felt it was just too gimmicky. However, after watching that it seems after dthrow or a get-up that seems very practical.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
There's a bunch of stuff that can happen on wifi but cannot happen offline, because of lag prediction and whatnot.

Top Bottom