• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Thread

Rizen

Smash Legend
Buffering aerials shouldn't be new to you, even if you do main link.
It's like ledge hop Fair/Bair, I guess. But besides those Link usually buffers when falling, not rising, into landing canceled attacks.

29% is niiice.
Should my spacing be 'hit with the tip of most attacks'. Are any better closer, like Nair?

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
It's like ledge hop Fair/Bair, I guess. But besides those Link usually buffers when falling, not rising, into landing canceled attacks.

29% is niiice.
Should my spacing be 'hit with the tip of most attacks'. Are any better closer, like Nair?
when spacing you should make sure your attacks hit the very tip of your opponent. If your opponent attacks with his limbs then you should attack where his arms or legs would be if he were to attack you. Mix it up, etc.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Melee gaw can shield.... sometimes.

I hate in brawl when I try to punish something while in shield with fair or bair, but instead I go to quick and I roll into them and get *****. :(

derkapalooza

Smash Journeyman

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Dunno what to say against broly. You actually looked like you had it for the most part aside from some nervous mistakes...just I'd use more fullhop F-airs, on BF I'd D-tilt while standing on platforms here and there, yeah. Pretty legit set overall imo.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
I feel like they caught on to your patterns after the first game. Like, look out once they learn the MU because both of those characters' upair beats the key if spaced right. Overall, surprisingly good. It's nice to see fullhopped aerials. Just needs more hard reads on dthrow.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I've got a ton of saved replays that I can't upload due to laziness/poor time budgeting. =(

They're getting too outdated at this rate...

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Your use of fair and dair is pretty good but you need to get him into the air:L.You probably already know this but yea, nair and uair more here,it ***** rob.

might add in more in a bit, ,just saw the first min.

edit: actually your air game was alot bettter second game,but you definitely need to use more nair

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Your use of fair and dair is pretty good but you need to get him into the air:L.You probably already know this but yea, nair and uair more here,it ***** rob.

might add in more in a bit, ,just saw the first min.

edit: actually your air game was alot bettter second game,but you definitely need to use more nair
Thanks Penta for your comments. As you can see, Fair is my Bread and Butter.

Got some new clips finished from uploading (I don't upload em, my friends do)
Against Zudenka playing his beastly and great Yoshi. (I got ***** on match 3, so I definitively need some feedback for this last game :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbjhjafj6Y4

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
I really like your Fairy Tales music (at least that's what I think it is. I get a lot of things mixed up).

Also, you can catch ROB's gyro offstage. Unless they start to bait it, I wouldn't recommend powering through it with upb. It leaves you too vulberable.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
@overgamer: Jabbing is good against Yoshi! Try not to throw out too many aerials unless you're punishing him or locking down his shield (you can literally B-air -> Jab his shield and he can't punish it)

Furthermore, I feel you would have really benefited from platform camping with D-tilts. Just practice spacing it comfortably, and use it to anti-air.

Furthermore, work on reacting to null techs and punishing people for landing on either side on reaction. It's not actually that hard.

Overall I feel you know what you need to do, and that the times you got killed could have been prevented by just playing a better ground game.

Furthermore, don't let him SideB for free. If you see him do it, turn around and shieldgrab it. Or if you're Luigi...turn around and give him a reversal Shoryuken lmao.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
@overgamer: Jabbing is good against Yoshi! Try not to throw out too many aerials unless you're punishing him or locking down his shield (you can literally B-air -> Jab his shield and he can't punish it)

Furthermore, I feel you would have really benefited from platform camping with D-tilts. Just practice spacing it comfortably, and use it to anti-air.

Furthermore, work on reacting to null techs and punishing people for landing on either side on reaction. It's not actually that hard.

Overall I feel you know what you need to do, and that the times you got killed could have been prevented by just playing a better ground game.

Furthermore, don't let him SideB for free. If you see him do it, turn around and shieldgrab it. Or if you're Luigi...turn around and give him a reversal Shoryuken lmao.
Thanks A2, Yeah I think I really need to improve my ground game, It's probably my main weakness right now. Punishing people after techroll is pretty hard when your opponent react always differently, I'm not used to break habits yet. But still I'm getting better and better at reading everyday.

Alright, this is the last few repays we took that day I went to visit Zudenka, here is the last games against his peach (which I have the most troubles) :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os5Vw3OX9kA

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I know it's tricky to do sometimes, but really, just not getting grab baited is really important. As you may have noticed, shieldgrabbing is pretty iffy, and you can't count on it against Peach if she spaces her aerials correctly. Up-Bing is good in this matchup not just for followups, but for escaping stuff. The wind effect occasionally also helps keep Peach in the air, which is generally not a position she wants to be in for long.

Jabbing as usual is good. I felt when you actually were using it, things were going slightly better.

You were getting outplayed pretty hard on the D-throw stuff (and by the way, D-throw D-smash doesn't really work on Peach if I recall). I know it's frustrating when D-throw strategies don't work when you want them to, especially since successful reads for G&W can make or break the game for him.

If there is a Smash that I think you should be using more against Peach, it's U-smash. It does a pretty good job of protecting G&W's hurtbox once it's out, and it baits pretty well (F-smash is kinda not useful against Peach, given she outranges it with F-air).

And I dunno, it's not like you were playing bad in general, but you definitely were getting outplayed pretty severely when it came to spacing. Just like, in the heat of the moment, it probably was hard to observe, but there were some crucial decision points where you had to really know when N-airing or doing something else would have been safe against Peach's spacing, or for covering her landing/recovery options (which are really limited, although her ability to weave can be a bit tricky). So like, you just missed a bunch of potential opportunities to capitalize just because you weren't able to implement N-air as effectively as you could have.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Usmash vs peach for sure. Makes her not want to approach you with fair. The risk is not worth it for her at all, and can make neutral positions come up again. I think uthrow is a better choice in this match-up as well.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Thank you everyone for your remarks!

I'll start working to improve my ground game first, then I'll have to check few things about Nair (I think I have vectical spacing issue, mainly about keeping an opponent above me). Yeah I know Dthrow Dsmash dosen't work, gonna not forget that. I'll try to use more Usmash and UpB for fleeing strings of hits. I know I was getting outplayed, Zudenka is definitively a better player than me, so it's good way to practice when I play against him. I like this. ^^

Yeah I have some trouble edgeguarding peach, I know Dair should somehow go through her umbrela UpB, but I still fail to do so. I'll try in training mode and see how can I deal with that. :)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think ledgedrop B-air is good against Peach when she recovers low, though that's just me rambling theory. Either way it's one of the more overlooked options that G&W has for edgeguarding. Also, just knowing how you universally have the option of edgehogging her Up-B with good timing is very helpful and will force her to recover higher, which you can punish with ledgehop aerial/juggling options.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ditto matchup sucks. But anyhow you both mostly seem to know what you're doing.

Smashes suck for the most part outside of techchases. Jabbing is situational but good. B-air dominates. F-air is also extremely useful. And getting a grab is hard but can lead to a free stock depending on how well you react to G&W's tech options.

Learning to do the ledgehop autocancel F-air helps a lot in this matchup as well. It requires a frame perfect Jump+F-air input after ledgedropping (though you can ledgedrop for up to 8 frames and still pull it off as long as you input the Jump+F-air correctly), but anyhow it's a good option for getting up from the ledge, especially since you can Second Jump Renewal immediately after it.

Wilmenz

Smash Journeyman
Ditto matchup sucks. But anyhow you both mostly seem to know what you're doing.

Smashes suck for the most part outside of techchases. Jabbing is situational but good. B-air dominates. F-air is also extremely useful. And getting a grab is hard but can lead to a free stock depending on how well you react to G&W's tech options.

Learning to do the ledgehop autocancel F-air helps a lot in this matchup as well. It requires a frame perfect Jump+F-air input after ledgedropping (though you can ledgedrop for up to 8 frames and still pull it off as long as you input the Jump+F-air correctly), but anyhow it's a good option for getting up from the ledge, especially since you can Second Jump Renewal immediately after it.
You can ledgehop autocancel Fair!? Wow i didn't know that umm thanks for your help o.o i really like that match though i don't know why... It felt so exciting

There's the second and third match where i went Snake maybe you could critique Blue a little more...

Match 2 Frigate my CP

Match 3 Brinstar his CP

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah, sorry. I find the G&W ditto hard to critique when the matchup is basically like..."space B-air moar, grab *****, F-air also *****, juggle carefully, don't screw up." It's just a silly matchup that rewards a few specific tactics to the extreme.

Blue needs to practice Bucket Braking correctly and get in the habit of N-airing on reflex to high knockback attacks. I feel both of you have weak edgetrap games and should work on reacting better to edge options. I like his use of D-tilt, and I think he mainly suffers from not being explicitly familiar with the G&W/Snake matchup, just given how much silly stuff he basically let hit him (or it could be a bad day. Snake ***** having a bad day). Also against Snake, he should be more confident about grabbing if he sees you pull a grenade.

Wilmenz

Smash Journeyman
Yeah he had kind of bad luck in that match... Also spacing is kinda weird in Frigate's 2nd phase and im very familiar with that stage. Its my Favorite CP because i always get Halberd banned ._.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
They only beat N-air if he fails at timing his invincibility frames.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
I saw your match vs omni, and that footstool was so hot.
LOL, the commentators were so busy talking about them selves that they didn't even notice it :/

Also, even though I was really off my game during this set please tell me how to beat Wolf:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiE8MlT6uxw

ignore the second match. I played it all wrong because of how upset I was after the first.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
You need to play on more dimensions. like the whole match you stayed grounded and did mostly shorthop aerials. Honestly, after he SD'd you should've stayed on the platforms and hopped around and just spam dair. Play the match like you would falco. Wolf can really stop approaches with his laser, so staying grounded is the worst possible idea.

And by spam I don't mean use it recklessly, I just mean to use it when he tries to attack you. Kind of like how you would vs snake if you had a lead.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Against snake, you must DI up his Ftilt. And never stay in close range on the ground, it quickly gets dangerous. You also probably know Snake sucks in the air so you better keep Uair-ing him more. If he stays airborn, it's ridiculous the adventage you can get. If you know he'll pull a nade, rush in and grab him while he do so. Also in order to avoid his Dthrow > regrabs or tilts, getup+UpB, or sightly delay the getup attack. Mix between these two and you'll be fine. Just avoid rolling. ;)

Don't have enough exp against Wario, so can't really help you out.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
First:

SDI up and Up-B when PK Fire touches you. Works 100% of the time.

You gotta be more proactive about spacing. You can't be afraid to throw out F-airs, B-airs, and D-tilts at Ness. You outspace him, not the other way around.

I really think you're possibly overthinking how to space with G&W. Spacing is almost as simple as seeing your opponent, going to where they are, and throwing out a move. Like, if he's in front of you, go up and D-tilt/F-air him. If he's behind you, B-air. If he's below you, D-air. When he's above you, PLEASE N-AIR OR U-AIR. Obviously there's also being aware that some things are punishable on block, but you just can't be so conservative about implementing your moves.

Also, don't spotdodge with G&W unless you're going for a jab/grab.

It could have been wifi, but also...you really just need to have better reactions. Get in the habit of DIing, N-airing, and Bucket Braking as well.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Yeah it looks like you're scared to use aerials. You gotta control the space around your opponent; attack where they COULD be sometimes, don't always go for where they are all the time. You need to put on that spacial pressure.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^^ and ^ good advice, thanks. I thought Ness' Fair out spaced G&W but I just had bad spacing.
TBH I played 1 character in all SSBs and have a lot of trouble breaking that mold. For a long time I didn't plan to use other characters at all. At this point I'm wondering if learning to be good other characters/metagames is worth it. I only have wifi and Brawl's fading away :( .

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
I feel like if there wasn't lag you would've easily bucketed those pk fires

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
ViceGrip every so often has hit me with PK Fires offline, or used them in positions where I don't have enough time to react with an option besides shield. But either way in the event it does hit you, it's so easy to just escape it on reaction.

I prefer to use Bucket for gimping Ness (absorbing his Up-B ftw!). Actually using it onstage against his projectiles isn't particularly practical.

Though I'm pretty certain his techroll is slow enough to cover with Oil Panic lol.

Top Bottom