• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Thread

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Really diggin' that first kill.

Reeeeeeally diggin' that first kill. Also, only thing I can point out really is, although I highly doubt bucket braking would've saved you (because it's not that great vertically which annoys me) from Dedede's utilt, the d-air wasn't really gonna help.

But once again, I highly doubt you could've BB'd in time anyway.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Woah thanks guys : o I'm really good at reading and ''chaingrabbing'' with gaw haha but i SUCK vs snake and oli

I have lots of replays of tourney matches on my old wii but it wont read my brawl disc anymore <_< so i don't think I can recover them anymore iguess, i'm having friendlies with a friend of mines saturday tho we will do some moneymatches and ill record some vids then : D ( i have another 1 up on youtube from my gaw but it's a wifi match ewwlol)

I think using bucket when ur above your opponent and go left/right while in bucket mode really helps predicting what they will do when you land, if they upsmash/utilt it's a free key, if they shield just keep your bucket there then dair which destroys there shield, it's also to see how smart your opponent is. Mehh all of you know this already but i never see it in matches that's why i felt like posting lmao

Also, i didn't want to dair xD i tought my nair was out already so I mashed down b but i did it to early which gave me a key lmao.

Also i keep that in mind the edgeguard trick. Thnx a bunch: )

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think using bucket when ur above your opponent and go left/right while in bucket mode really helps predicting what they will do when you land, if they upsmash/utilt it's a free key, if they shield just keep your bucket there then dair which destroys there shield, it's also to see how smart your opponent is. Mehh all of you know this already but i never see it in matches that's why i felt like posting lmao
I personally never thought of using Bucket stalling that way. It's not something I would try against Metaknight or Marth frequently though, but it certainly sounds interesting.

And yeah I mean you're pretty good. Definitely one of the better G&Ws I've seen in a while. I thought most of the critique in the match should have been directed towards your opponent personally since he made some pretty silly choices which you were smart about punishing.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
This dude seriously sucks at the gaw match up, I main jiggly and gaw and 2nd ddd and he ***** my jiggs with his eyes closed xD i always cp gaw against him cause he's so bad at the match up, he's a good ddd tho I'm sure about that : )

Splice

Smash Hero
Just ditch Jiggs lol!

You are definitely a decent player, some really nice stuff there. I'd like to see a match vs a character like marth or pit, just a bit smaller and faster. Is the D3 you're only offline practice? I'm thankful my main practice is an MK main, because I don't tend to get any habits of thinking things work when they don't. That's the only problem with DDD as practice, everything works to some extent.

Can't really give much critique you really did play well, except sometimes you rushed a bit too much and lost some oppurtunities (like when you Dsmashed right next to the edge instead of waitin' and baitin', also near the end with the two Uairs on his UpB and then you got hit by a star which couldve been avoided)

Also I you used Dair when you were above him a lot. This was good because you seemed to know what he was doing. Against an opponent who you wouldnt know as well and doesnt get pressured so easy, this may not be the case. :) You got a little obvious and stupid with Dair 0:35 i think 3 times in a row you used it....

Nice effort.

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Just ditch Jiggs lol!

You are definitely a decent player, some really nice stuff there. I'd like to see a match vs a character like marth or pit, just a bit smaller and faster. Is the D3 you're only offline practice? I'm thankful my main practice is an MK main, because I don't tend to get any habits of thinking things work when they don't. That's the only problem with DDD as practice, everything works to some extent.

Can't really give much critique you really did play well, except sometimes you rushed a bit too much and lost some oppurtunities (like when you Dsmashed right next to the edge instead of waitin' and baitin', also near the end with the two Uairs on his UpB and then you got hit by a star which couldve been avoided)

Also I you used Dair when you were above him a lot. This was good because you seemed to know what he was doing. Against an opponent who you wouldnt know as well and doesnt get pressured so easy, this may not be the case. :) You got a little obvious and stupid with Dair 0:35 i think 3 times in a row you used it....

Nice effort.
Thanks for the pointers mayne
Haha but jiggs is fun xD

As for the dair, yeah now u mention it it did get a little predicitable that's why i got killed by that utilt first stock cause of the dair each time he was below me. Ill keep that in mind vs other characters deff. Thank you

As for the rushing, ill play smarter next time lol. Thing is.... If i'm getting a nice kill first stock i'm usually 2 hyped and then i'll start playing really aggresive lol

My main practise is dk/lucas (lollucas). Not that ddd, still not-so-good characters tho xD but it's better then wifi

Splice

Smash Hero
dude anythings better than wifi, i learn more from CPUs at least the timing for buffers and B-reversals are still the same. Lucas is fine practice imo, you should learn what works, just keep in my mind that the higher tiers can punish things better, but Lucas is fine imo.

I tried using Jigglypuff too, she is really fun except unlike GaW you are forced to be campy... you dont get the choice of aggression, and judging from your GaWs playstyle I can imagine your jiggs being a bit too aggressive... haha, keep Jiggs for Diddy kong though, it works wonders!!!

Also, being aggressive because you are hyped coz you took the first stock is almost on the right track. Something you were very close to doing was, when you got the stock lead, playing very safe (so all you're attacks/movements were, if punishable at all, not punishable by kill moves) whilst going aggressive. Pressure the opponent, at that time where they are really feeling like they need to get a kill so they can catch up. For lots of players, when they are a stock down is when theyll make the most mistakes and by pressuring them like you did you can make the most of it (and thats why they end up 2 stock down lolol)

of course they might just be GOOD players, in which case they will play just as careful as ever. But most people are greedy :)

But yeah dont worry about being hyped, I reckon you'll get into the habit of identifying when aggression is/isn't working by yourself, and adjusting playstyle accordingly. Getting hyped seemed to mess this guys **** up for the most part, so that was fine!

Man theres only one video of me from my last tourney and I lose to a Diddy Kong on Halberd... and I don't even want that shiz uploaded :c Last stock is like pretty much just fishing for a kill zomg so terribad...

PS. sorry about the Almost-Wall-Of-Texts :/ I get carried away.

Also, PantyRaider, are those vids wifi?

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Oh no lol xD my jiggs is actually different. Go watch my vids on youtube I have lots of jiggs vids there, with jiggs it's just playing smart.

But yeah most things u said were true.

Any1 has good vids vs snake? Im so terribad against him it's not even funny

Rizen

Smash Legend
MK's who don't know what they're doing are fun lol.

Wifi and offline are totally different metagames. Apples and oranges.

Splice

Smash Hero
Alright cool i might critique them later. Not the teams match though, teams matches too complicated to critique.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Critique me?

These are all under 3 minute wifi matches so keep that in mind. I'm starting to juggle and tech chase. Also, I'm in the habit of momentum canceling like Link so no need to point out I need to bucket brake. The first 2 are most important for critiques. Thanks.

RizenG&W vs:
Pikachu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rge7oZ00StM
Lucas
Dittos (I'm black)
Friendly team battle (Blue team)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9t7HYnuX-k

Splice

Smash Hero
Ok PantyRaider here is some critique on the Marth vid, I only watched that one because I don't understand Peach I just know Uair owns her and I find her easy but idk what I'm doing. And Doubles is ********.

Techchasing was pretty decent. I like how you keep inside tipper range so you don't get hit sometimes, but you need to use UpB OoS as an escape technique when pressured, such as at 0:19. When you make a mistake or something you seem to go for panicky grabs which I don't advise, with a grab as terribly, terribly bad as Game and Watches you need to be thinking a bit beforehand to get one.

How you got the first KO was pretty legit. The Marth reacted badly sure, but that was quite good on your part anyway. Noice!

DUDE 1:12 to 1:14 was amaysun, idk if you meant it or not, but it was great either way.

When you lost your first stock was strange. You should of seen that Counter/DownB coming lol... then when u were off stage you used Uair, means you thought he was gonna Dair you? I dont think Uair is a good idea anyway, since u just wanna survive. Meh, not much to say there...

Stock 2 was bad you just used a bunch of random attacks that would have only worked if he did a CERTAIN thing when he had heaps of options, you should go a bit more defensive with your approaches, whilst still trying to pressure. Be more careful.

So you keep doing random badly thought out moves til 1:47. Do you know what RAR is? Reverse Aerial Rush Bair. WHERE IS IT? :p I know it's marth but you still need more Bair, your use of Fair was getting too easy to punish. You need to time things better and move faster too btw, use fastfall more, use it efficiently, try more dashing, imo anyway that would help.

At 1:48 you use Fair when he's approaching from above. You need to understand Fair only works when the opponent is low on options or you have a REAL good read. It's a slow move that's quite punishable on landing or even if it hits a sheild. It's not a bad move, It's great. But it's no crutch. you are trying to use it far too much, ruining some nice situations; Nair would have been ideal here.

1:58 - should have UpB OoS, or even used Nair OoS. The latter may not have worked idk the frame data on marths jab.

2:00 - You roll'd, I lol'd :p

You didn't deserve the second KO. I feel your opponent has bad control over his character; Your spacing was much better then his, but worse choices of move and you are a bit slower. He moved fast which was good. Charged Usmash is good, but that situation was so obvious, it should only work when the opponent is pressured. Marth had lots of freedom there, really shouldnt have gotten hit.

When you were on the edge and he grabbed the edge, you can pressure him off with Nair, then UpB, instead of just UpBing onto the stage which is dangerous. Nice job with the string at 2:35, but at 2:40 you should have buffered UpB out of Nair instead of Dsmash. A bit too greedy I guess.

Your opponent just went stupidly aggressive after he got that second kill, and thats when your antics started to work (note that if he was a patient and better player, thats when your Fairs etc. start to lose out). He got so madly pressured by the bacon, which was funny because Marth can dolphin slash thems sausages. He tried to grab you when he was too far (pan would have hit him anyway) derp. Then a bacon hit him. Then you went to 9 and I think he tried to grab you again.

It was pretty good on your part though, most people play like that in those situations so you abused that well at the end, just note that on better players you'll need to tighten up your gameplay, space better and move faster and more efficiently, make better choices of moves, more Fair and less Bair and getting out of bad situations better by being less panicy (Quick! hold L! Don't let go!) and using more UpB OoS too.

Sorry my "critiques" are normally just like sub-par match reviews with snippets of tips located somewhere inside. I'm so sorry, but I hope it helps :)

Arisen im gonna watch your match vs Pika, if I pick anything up I'll tell you but probs wont critique cos its wifi and that stuff dont make sense, You arent even playing with stock so I dont understand the flow of the match.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Arisen im gonna watch your match vs Pika, if I pick anything up I'll tell you but probs wont critique cos its wifi and that stuff dont make sense, You arent even playing with stock so I dont understand the flow of the match.
Okay, anything that helps is appreciated. Wifis aren't great for critiques; I was hoping another wifi G&W could critique the online metagame. It does have 3 stocks and an 8 min time limit like with ladder/tourney rules.

I need to start bucket breaking.

Splice

Smash Hero
Yeah I dont really have any critique. Don't roll. Sorry wifi is silly imo :/

Rizen

Smash Legend

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I HATE G&W dittos. Ugh.

G&W dittos are like this...spacing B-airs high *****. Grabbing ***** especially if you know how to techchase on reaction (it's definitely possible. I did this in tournament once by D-throw regrabbing my opponent 7 times in a row). Most of your KOs probably should come from random punishes with F-air/D-air if it's hard to get grabs.

Really, it's hard to do much of anything besides spacing aerials in that matchup, though getting a grab is ridiculously rewarding if it does happen.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Arizen, for the Diddy game, you got ***** by his naners setups. Always ALWAYS focus on catching his banana as soon as he pull some. He can't react on you catching his banana first. If he trys to pull one from behind himself, attack him while he's pulling him with Nair or Fair, then dispose of the banana if want to avoid any further mess. Also if you didn't knew, dash attacks very near bananas regrabs them.

Well it was Wifi, so I can guess it's much harder to do, but you should still aim for it.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^ & ^^, ok thanks. My G&W spacing and control is not sufficient. I got Diddy down to 1 stock, 130%+ with Link. G&W's fight dynamics for this MU are completely different from Link's (catching & dashing) so I was royally beaten. G&W should be aggressive and pressure Diddy? It's hard to play MUs with a new character:urg:. G&W still feels foreign to me :/ .

Dittos are weird. I dislike all dittos :glare:.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Lol, you shouldn't punish him running up with fsmash, it'll get you grabbed and *****. It seemed like either that gaw you vs'd was REALLY bad or just was sandbagging hard core.

You weren't doing anything out of dthrow! At least dsmash at the very least, and if he's at 80 or so, fsmash him instead. Your gaw needs more fair. It's a stupid good move and really hard to punish.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Lol, you shouldn't punish him running up with fsmash, it'll get you grabbed and *****. It seemed like either that gaw you vs'd was REALLY bad or just was sandbagging hard core.

You weren't doing anything out of dthrow! At least dsmash at the very least, and if he's at 80 or so, fsmash him instead. Your gaw needs more fair. It's a stupid good move and really hard to punish.
I won my first ditto so he must have been baaaad. Fsmash is a dumb old habit combined with I didn't know what to to- aka not intelligent.
Can I safely Dthrow>(immediately) Dsmash? I've been waiting to teck chase or shield getup attacks.
I'll use more Fair/Bairs. The problem is I don't know what to do using G&W:urg:.

Thanks for the critiques:bee:.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Arizen you need to stop rolling lol
Probably the first step into using G&W is to get accustomed to moving around without having to roll lol.
You should really focus on getting this out of the way first .

and against diddy,always try to stay airborne/above him, wait until he throws his bananas.
Having a good ground game is also really important for this match up.
It's a really tough match up and there's only so much i can say about that match since it seems like you didn't know what to do at all. You have to get more used to how G&W is supposed to be played as a character. From the matches I saw,it doesn't really show that:l. You need to get down his aerial movements and some of his strategy/combos that he has. Baiting is also another subject i can write a whole paragraph about. Once you learn some of the basics,you'll start improving and figuring out more stuff on your own.

Yea x-x

I apologize if I sound mean or anything lol
but you really need to change the way you're playing G&W atm. I really suggest watching videos of either zac or vinnie to get the hang of how other G&W mains move around and more important,how they bait for kills.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Rolling is a curse acquired by all the unfortunate noobs who never understood how to play Melee.

Trufax.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Arizen you need to stop rolling lol
Probably the first step into using G&W is to get accustomed to moving around without having to roll lol.
You should really focus on getting this out of the way first .

and against diddy,always try to stay airborne/above him, wait until he throws his bananas.
Having a good ground game is also really important for this match up.
It's a really tough match up and there's only so much i can say about that match since it seems like you didn't know what to do at all. You have to get more used to how G&W is supposed to be played as a character. From the matches I saw,it doesn't really show that:l. You need to get down his aerial movements and some of his strategy/combos that he has. Baiting is also another subject i can write a whole paragraph about. Once you learn some of the basics,you'll start improving and figuring out more stuff on your own.

Yea x-x

I apologize if I sound mean or anything lol
but you really need to change the way you're playing G&W atm. I really suggest watching videos of either zac or vinnie to get the hang of how other G&W mains move around and more important,how they bait for kills.
That's okay, I know I suck. I've played Link exclusively for so long that my other wifi characters are played the same way out of habit.
Wifi G&W
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVkHiVhECTI
Wifi Link (dumb SD:mad:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w22aMfLkb5g
I noticed this with my Pokemon Trainer, the actions for a situation are often close or identical to my Link's. Particularly Fair (Zair), Bair, Dair, and smashes. It's kind of funny to see.
That's why I'm getting critiques, I am in many ways clueless:ohwell:.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
That's okay, I know I suck. I've played Link exclusively for so long that my other wifi characters are played the same way out of habit.
Wifi G&W
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVkHiVhECTI
Wifi Link (dumb SD:mad:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w22aMfLkb5g
I noticed this with my Pokemon Trainer, the actions for a situation are often close or identical to my Link's. Particularly Fair (Zair), Bair, Dair, and smashes. It's kind of funny to see.
That's why I'm getting critiques, I am in many ways clueless:ohwell:.
I'm rollin' rollin' rollin' rollin'. :)
Nah it's not so bad, you even managed to buket cancel after a bair! (stress much).
When G&W is offstage but still above platrofm level, just throw randoms chefs bacons at his face. It will anoy him to no point and force him to recover low. Also, after Dthrow, try to Dsmash from time to time (pretty much ***** non roll teching G&Ws). Also lololol Fsmash spam. That was epicly funny.

About your Link, unlucky tipper at 87%. Lawl. Gay.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Offline Critique (vs CPU :( )

Something I learned is NEVER pick up a new character on wifi. I played a few matches vs CPU Zelda and understood the game so much better. This CPU Zelda picked up a few tricks from Linkz but is still a dumb computer. Would people please critique me?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuWgsinIOUI
Tell me what to do instead of my mistakes, like rolling lol.

Thanks

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I have to ask...do you know what buffering is?

Like honestly, I mean it's cool that you're fullhopping and F-airing which already makes your G&W 1000x better than "normal"...I just don't get why you aren't buffering it when it's so easy to buffer frame perfect aerials with jumps in this game. This game isn't Melee where you have to wait for the jump to actually start before inputting the aerial. You can just mash Y+A in one quick wavelike motion for perfect buffered aerials 100% of the time.

Also, use Jab and Grab after spotdodge, maybe D-tilt. Otherwise don't spotdodge. Everything else G&W does is usually too slow to be practical after spotdodge.

Speaking of D-tilt, it's important to understand how to space the move, and be familiar with its lingering properties as well as its deceptive vertical reach both upwards and downwards.

Also N-air juggles are really good. When in doubt, and if they're above you, it's usually free damage.

I want to say something about knowing how to use all of G&W's moves, but I think focusing on those things would be best for you.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Thanks, I'll try that stuff. Nair and Dtilt are different then what I'm used to so I don't have them in my head very well. I didn't want to OoS upB because Zelda's not good to be above and spotdodged or rolled too much. How should I follow up Fairs and Dairs?
I have to ask...do you know what buffering is?

Like honestly, I mean it's cool that you're fullhopping and F-airing which already makes your G&W 1000x better than "normal"...I just don't get why you aren't buffering it when it's so easy to buffer frame perfect aerials with jumps in this game. This game isn't Melee where you have to wait for the jump to actually start before inputting the aerial. You can just mash Y+A in one quick wavelike motion for perfect buffered aerials 100% of the time.
I'm used to buffering things like DAC or jump canceled bomb throws (jump and 'C' in a direction) so buffering full hop aerials is new for me. I'll work on G&W's buffering.

Offline, even vs a CPU, is a hundred times better to learn a new character.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Following up F-airs and D-airs...well when you D-air someone, it usually combos into grab or D-tilt at low percents, especially if you land the grounded hit. Landing both hits of D-air and D-tilt can do like 29%.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I played GW in melee so I have a habit of NEVER rolling or spot dodging, lol

Top Bottom