• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Thread

Wilmenz

Smash Journeyman
I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but you just gave me some pretty bad advice. Dash attack at the ledge doesn't work since he can tornado or d-air you or if hes on the ledge can abuse his invincibility. The best option on glide attack is b-air or n-air. Upb oos is very situational

on a side note: which moves should i b-air oos that I haven't been?
I ment the Dash attack if he Upb's close to the ledge, and upb oos when you don't have options to punish like when he does it close to the ground... like 2:26 on the first match.

You should Bair OOS Ftilt if you are facing away like 1:48 match 1... Sorry i woke up really early and probably high

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I ment the Dash attack if he Upb's close to the ledge, and upb oos when you don't have options to punish like when he does it close to the ground... like 2:26 on the first match.

You should Bair OOS Ftilt if you are facing away like 1:48 match 1... Sorry i woke up really early and probably high
cool cool, good advice

BTW guys, this weekend Vinnie dropped out of M2K's Tornado and up-aired him right when it finished. His u-air put M2K in the perfect position to get a charged u-smash out of it and M2K had no way of avoiding it. gonna learn that.

@Pent. I like to d-air on MK's shield and then slow fall as soon as the first hit connects. I mix it up, some times I slow fall and some times I don't. If they try to Up-B OOS after the first hit and I don't slow fall I usually hit them. If they wait and I slow fall I usually mix them up and they don't punish me.

I also like to d-air one side of the shield and then slow fall to the other side to mix them up.

One last thing. If you slow fall on their shield it, the second hit some times shield poked because they keep their shield out for so long.

NNID
LilG912
cool cool, good advice

BTW guys, this weekend Vinnie dropped out of M2K's Tornado and up-aired him right when it finished. His u-air put M2K in the perfect position to get a charged u-smash out of it and M2K had no way of avoiding it. gonna learn that.

@Pent. I like to d-air on MK's shield and then slow fall as soon as the first hit connects. I mix it up, some times I slow fall and some times I don't. If they try to Up-B OOS after the first hit and I don't slow fall I usually hit them. If they wait and I slow fall I usually mix them up and they don't punish me.

I also like to d-air one side of the shield and then slow fall to the other side to mix them up.

One last thing. If you slow fall on their shield it, the second hit some times shield poked because they keep their shield out for so long.
GIMR, you gave me 2 things that I need to imply to my G&W, thx. Plus I'm gettin slightly better @ MK MU.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Use Smash Stack if you want an easy way to get the replay hack on your system. I'll walk you through it if you're interested.

vs Mario, more D-tilt, N-air, and F-air (especially fullhopped and for edgeguarding). Also you really should practice Bucket Braking. Just learn to N-air on reaction to strong hits.

Vs ROB, honestly the only thing I can say is space better. Vs ROB is pretty much about hitting him, and never letting him get back to the ground safely. At any rate you did land some pretty lucky Smashes which saved you, which I guess worked.

You also didn't really grab in those matches. You just need to be comfortable with grabbing, how to set it up, and when it works with G&W.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
Also you really should practice Bucket Braking. Just learn to N-air on reaction to strong hits.
^

0:18 - should've shieldgrabbed
0:57 - on 90% of the cast, you only get two uptilts. After that you (usually) get a free nair.
1:03 - Why run away when you can shieldgrab?
1:59 - I know you were trying to roll and the shield came up, but you could've shieldgrabbed.
2:11 - Shieldgrab plz
2:22 - grab plz

tl;dr - Shieldgrab wrecks the Mario Bros aerial approaches.

You know what ROB really likes you to do? Spotdodge and roll. If you're right next to him, go ahead and try to grab, or throw out a dtilt. He's just waiting for you to dodge. If you're that scared, upb away to reset your position.
Needs moar juggle as well. You can try to freak him out with upair, and then either nair or upair his belly, since ROB can't actually hit people below him with anything but dair kind of nair, but those have really laggy startups, and shouldn't ever hit you.

Splice

Smash Hero
Wow Yars, that Snake was trying way too hard to approach.
Your use of Fair is quite punishable, but I don't discourage lots of Fair, just the Snake could have punished it 60% of the time.

When you used Nair under the platform as he stood on top, that was good, but I think you FF it too early. The multihit is good, and I think you could have chained more if you let the the Nair rise more. this was at 1:01

You rolled way too much. Rolling is bad with GaW, but I think at somepoint you rolled into the Snake... just don't ever roll. When you stop, you will also start to develop much better control of your character so you can self space without rolling, develop a tighter ground game and mindgame better.

When picking up and throwing grenades, use the insta-throw. 9 out of 10 times its what you should do. Z to catch and A to throw. That's what I do at least there are other inputs that work too.

Don't trade hits with Snake if you can! Attacking him AND hitting the grenade he is carrying will give him more % because you hit him, but its still not worth it. Especially not on Halberd, he gonna be killing you eaaarrllllyyyy. Either space and think about move choice and how he could move so you dont hit the grenade, or dont bother.

The way both of you got your first stock kills was hilarious... Against Snake Dair mindgames are hard though. If you Slowfall the whole time, thats the worst thing you can do. if you wait a bit before you do the slowfall, they may try to Utilt on the time you'd reach them with the faster falling Dair, and if you slowfall it before this, they will Utilt nothing, and then you get to them. I think that would have worked in that situation though. lol revenge KO Usmash. I remember the days... You'll learn who it works on and who doesnt, you have invincibility anyway so i cant fault you. nice KO lol

@1:36: Was that Grab OoPS? Looked fast and cool! Nice. PS Snakes attacks is good!

You are a bit greedy. You tried to follow up a juggle with an Usmash, which would have been nice if it worked but you could have followed up with a few more Nairs til he was past 100%, so if you did get an Usmash... it would actually a kill :p

More Bair, more Nair to approach. More relentless spaced SH Airials, I guess. That aren't Fair -___-

Wow you guys need to be more careful. Just killed yourselves on 2nd stock :p The timing was pretty unlucky for you with the nade and the canon-bomb though.

If that Snake had just spammed Utilt on last stock you'd have lost. You're last stock was good, lots of juggle attempts, some greedy follow ups that never worked there, but lots of the followups were decent. Use of Dair and Fair is no good, yet. They both need precision to be effective, otherwise just punishable.
When you learn better mobility and are more agile yet more vigilant in spacing, your juggling will work better. You're just a bit slow atm, but definitely got the right idea. Im sure Uair - Usmash will work... one day... lol :p

Oh yeah and nice Nade-Throw into BB at 4:00. Good habit to get into, to be able to use item-throw instead of airial for BB against some characters. Nice ;)

But yeah last stock you did have some nice little attack chains, mostly low and close to the ground, that were well thought through and whether they worked or not they were quite smart, a little mindgamey.

Dairing through Snakes Usmash is a good idea too. through his Utilt not so much buy maybe you got a little lucky... haha, no, lets not say that!

Congratulations on your win! :)

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Yeah, I did use f-air a lot, I try to get out of the habit of doing it too, and most of the time I use it, I use it when I'm at least 80% positive it'll hit. I'm also getting out of the habit of rolling as well. The grenade toss to brake was almost like instinct, as soon as I got hit, the first thing I thought was to get that grenade the hell out of my hands. I really hated the way I died my second stock seeing as it was preventable if I was paying attention. My friend on the other hand...That was just some bad luck. Also, rewatching, I got mad at myself for the usmash on his second stock at the end of my juggling, not gonna happen again.

Rewatched again, holy ****, I DID use f-air a lot, I swear I don't use it this much.

I usually try to approach with n-air, b-air for punishing and retreating, and f-air to get people away. I was sort of going into auto pilot, but I got a grip at the last stock, where I spent most of the stock thinking of what to do and trying not to get hit. Don't know why I d-aired into the laser beam when anyone thinking would've up-Bed, but whateva... Thank you for your critique!

Also, only reason we were at Halberd is because I banned FD instead, I wasn't thinking of Halberd at the time, but I hate hate hate fighting on FD and hate hate hate fighting Snakes there even more.

Also, I dropped a grenade with a throw animation, but it just fell, how do you do this?

EDIT: also also also also also

Splice

Smash Hero
You dont get to it, the Snake did it.
What happened was, you threw the grenade so it was gonna you know, go forwards.Thats all you did.
But Snake pulled out another grenade (or something I forget how Snake does it) which makes the other grenade drop. this means he can make a grenade drop after he throws it so it goes where he wants. This means he can make the grenade drop whilst your holding it, then you dont know wtf happened, and it blows up in your face. its under snakes control not yours.

This is why insta throw is good, Snake wont usually have time to make it fall from your hands if you throw straight away.

Tbh it didnt look like Zenna knew how to do it, I think it was an accident. Sorry I dont know what Snake has to do to make the grenade drop, I just know he can do it. Im 80% sure its when he pulls out the next nade, though; it makes the nade thats already on the field drop, if its not already on the floor.

Btw, I would totally ban FD over Halberd vs Snake too. I need my platforms lol.

Good to see you can recognize your mistakes, I am keen to see how you improve in future vids.
We'll make a UTD Zac out of you yet, lol xD

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
we need a new video thread :/

@Gerald: No Prob

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I know it's a hard barrier to break, but you really got show him that GaW can compete in the banana game. Set up some traps, and glide toss more, it repositions you really well and if you hit you can smash him.

Throwing bananas away is a viable strategy, but I think to beat a diddy at ADHD's level, you gotta learn to use the bananas just as well as him.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I know it's a hard barrier to break, but you really got show him that GaW can compete in the banana game. Set up some traps, and glide toss more, it repositions you really well and if you hit you can smash him.

Throwing bananas away is a viable strategy, but I think to beat a diddy at ADHD's level, you gotta learn to use the bananas just as well as him.
Best tip of advice: don't throw bananas at him.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Best tip of advice: don't throw bananas at him.
EXACTLY, lol

I've learned from playing local diddys that throwing bananas or glide tossing bananas at diddy is never a good idea. That's why I throw them away because in my opinion:

GW> Diddy without bananas

If you notice, game 3, he got a huge amount of damage off me when I air dodged into bananas when I meant to pick them up.

Another good thing to do is z drop bananas and then attack to regrab them

• if you hit him you can combo into banana and then into another attack

• if you're at high percentages and get hit by a kill move you can do a super quick never die bucket break by throwing the banana down(15 to 18 frame animation) and bucketing.(dropping the banana only happens like 1 out of 5 times when you're hit by an attack while holding it, most of the time you keep it) After the bucket break you can d-air and then Z grab the banana

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Throwing Banana's away from him is fine, but they HAVE to be onstage, or he'll just spawn more Bananas. Usually I throw them upwards.

Throwing them downwards and pressuring him immediately afterwards also works.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Throwing Banana's away from him is fine, but they HAVE to be onstage, or he'll just spawn more Bananas. Usually I throw them upwards.

Throwing them downwards and pressuring him immediately afterwards also works.
I like this idea, ill definitely put it into my game.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I dunno, I feel like GaW can compete easily with diddy by throwing them at him, or maybe I am just bias because I find it really fun using bananas :/. Either way, I do fine vs diddy the way I play him.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Meh, a couple here in my region, but one is not that great, the other is pretty good (T-block), then wifi diddies. I mean like sure knock wifi all you want, but the strategy is still in tact, and GaW probably suffers more than diddy on wifi.

But yeah both wifi and offline experience.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Meh, a couple here in my region, but one is not that great, the other is pretty good (T-block), then wifi diddies. I mean like sure knock wifi all you want, but the strategy is still in tact, and GaW probably suffers more than diddy on wifi.

But yeah both wifi and offline experience.
Eh, do you have any national level diddies? I mean, if you watch my set you'll see I get punished greatly for giving him the naners. Plus gw has a pretty slow throw making it even easier to react to. Akso, diddies wait for the glide toss,. I only used it once against ADHD and he almost punished me for it LOL. BTW, is t-block ranked anywhere?

Rizen

Smash Legend
Bananas are 'piercing' range attacks. They pierce standard attacks and are great for countering.
/my 2 cents

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Yes he's ranked in my region.... well kind of lol. Our PR is pretty ****ed right now, but he's about 5th best here.

I think there is a difference between giving him the nanners and using them against him. Of couse just throwing them at him is bad, but once you get creative with it then you start doing well.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
My suggestion:

Don't send the Bananas to Diddy. Send Diddy into the Bananas.

Quite literally. Throwing Bananas at Diddy is rarely useful, since his item options are the best in the game. Pressuring Diddy into a Banana trap on the other hand is very very profitable.

A simple example is throwing the Banana downwards and then using aerials to pressure his shield. Depending on positioning, if you push him into the Banana while he's shielding, funny results might happen.

Alternatively, punishing him as he tries to retrieve his Banana's that you've kept away from him is pretty ideal.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Yes he's ranked in my region.... well kind of lol. Our PR is pretty ****ed right now, but he's about 5th best here.

I think there is a difference between giving him the nanners and using them against him. Of couse just throwing them at him is bad, but once you get creative with it then you start doing well.
Diddy's is way better with naners then gw. It doesnt matter how creative you get. If you throw naners near him he is going to get them before you can do anything about it. I'm really good with naners. I love to do creative things with them. In this match up though throwing them at him is a bad idea, now, throwing them down at him or up at him ie better but not completely advisable.

I mean, even a mid leveled diddy in my area beats me if I give him my naners.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I watched your match. It was pretty good. I mean I've seen better DDDs, but it was cool.

Rizen

Smash Legend
No critique :(? There must be something i do wrong
I'm too scrubby to critique G&Ws. One thing I noticed is you Dsmashed close when DDD hung from the edge and he punished with a get-up attack. For any character keeping an opponent from climbing onstage you need to be ready for invulnerability frames. That shield grab>Dthrow>jab>Grab... trick might have been good there.

I learned a lot from watching, well played:).

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Try this:

Z drop bananas for no reason, and sometimes pick them up right after with nair or dair. It looks sexy and tricks the opposing Diddy (gnes can correct me if im wrong). Of course, you want to do this when you're right on top of them.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Offline tourney match:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APlXNGAA2KA

Rate please :)

yupyup

I must say, I was impressed with your G&W. Have any more videos? You pretty much out played this guy so it's hard to point out mistakes

Great to have recent diddy videos to learn from.
Throwing the bananas away is a good idea, and good stuff on brinstar.

Also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ipQi83ypc0&feature=related#t=0m37s

Wow,great opportunity missed D:.

Good job tho
thx

Top Bottom