• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Victory Music getting worse?

BSP

Smash Legend
Link to original post: [drupal=2290]Victory Music getting worse?[/drupal]

Hey guys, have you noticed that in Brawl almost ALL of the victory music is quieter and less epic. A great example is the mario theme, listen to all three versions and tell me which one sounds the most triumphant. The first, of course.(But melee is good too.) Anyway, I think the victory music is getting worse and worse(cough ness cough)...opinions?

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
ACHTUNG!

This better not become a Melee vs Brawl/Random Brawlbashing thread.

If that happens...

Well I think you know.

BSP

Smash Legend
WARNING!

This better not become a Melee vs Brawl/Random Brawlbashing thread.

If that happens...

Well I think you know.
Well, I don't want to cause any trouble or anything...should I do something?

And I really didn't think victory music could cause that...maybe some people think it's getting better?

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'm just warning the people who reply. Don't sweat.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
Turn up your volume boy...

Nintendo is sick of turning stuff up for you.

Mine has some kind of arcade feel to it.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Well, considering that Melee's soundtrack was completely orchestrated (with the obvious exceptions like Game & Watch's stuff and such), and Brawl's is not, I guess that makes several things sound less "epic", since orchestral music is always considered being epic by standard because people prefer better instrumentalization over compositions. <.<

However, while I do find some Melee victory jingles better, I also find some 64 victory jingles better than those of the sequels (namely Ness'), and some of Brawl's better.

Considering some of the tunes have been completely changed to be up to date with the most recent game (in the Mother Boys' and Captain Falcon's case, while G&W's new jingle is supposed to go with Flat Zone 2's theme), you shouldn't directly compare at least those.
Furthermore, I think that some of the new themes such as Snake's or Wario's are pretty awesome, and some of the re-arrangements are pretty good, too, such as Metroid's or the Ice Climbers'.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Doesn't Brawl have much more powerful orchestrations though? =/

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Nope, they were orchestrated with a few exceptions.
I think by the New Japan Philharmonic, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
They just need individual ones for each character. Of course, more epicness wouldn't hurt. :3

REL38

Smash Lord
It really depends on how well they use musical approach.

There are 8-bit songs that are still better than newer renditions of the same song.

Look at how many covers there's been of "Pokey Means Business". Few compare to its epicness.

Metaknight's and Snake's are pretty chill, but rest lack in quality.

POKE40

Smash Lord
IMO Brawl's music was okay, but it wasn't "magical."

I would like Brawl's soundtrack if it was like "Super Mario Galaxy" orchestrated or something else for more "magic."

It feels brawl lost it's touch.
I have no favorite music in Brawl. I hoped for less arrangments... :[

Like I loved saria song in melée

†Slader7†

Smash Ace
Falcon's music is always awesome :D

Nonetheless, I don't really notice the difference between melee's and brawl's victory themes. I just miss the crazy announcer guy who screams out Super Smash Brothers MELEE!!!
ahh good memories

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Anyway, I think the victory music is getting worse and worse(cough ness cough)...opinions?
The change to the Ness theme is the most noticeable. The Brawl version isn't bad, but it does seem to lack the triumphant victory feel to it.

Also, my head seems to only have room enough to memorize Star Fox, F-Zero, Pokemon and Fire Emblem themes, for some reason.

bobson

Smash Lord
My disc has Ness' and Captain Falcon's victory themes switched to their Melee incarnations.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I don't even notice the victory music in Brawl. I used to like when me and my brother played Fox vs. Falco matches in Melee because they had awesome victory music. DKs victory music in Melee was great too, but yah, they all sort of went downhill in Brawl.

I still <3 Brawl though because I can't play Melee worth crap.

:034:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I prefer Brawl's. It just has more personality to it. The DK one is really the most illustrative; it sounds much more jungle-like in Brawl. Also, R.O.B. probably has the best victory music in the series; it's just so happy. Mr. Game & Watch also has a massively improved victory theme. It's not that important in any case, but I really do like the Brawl stuff better. Everything in Brawl just looks and sounds so nice really.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I was P***ed when I saw no fountain of dreams it may have had the best music of all the games. But yeah the ness one was pretty weak.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Now that you've mentioned it, I've never really found Smash Bros. victory themes to be very victorious. Nor have I ever really noticed much of a difference between games. I always considered the victory music to just be there to spiff things up, not to be all "You won!" If you wanted that, you can always just music hack one of many Final Fantasy Victory Themes on everyone. I'm not a fan of FF, but its victory fanfare is basically the most victorious of any game.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
The change to the Ness theme is the most noticeable. The Brawl version isn't bad, but it does seem to lack the triumphant victory feel to it.
Comparing Ness' victory jingle to the Mother boys' is stupid because Ness' is from MOTHER, while Brawl's is from MOTHER 3.

iChilla0

Smash Cadet
Of course, we can always replace victory themes via a small amount of hacking + brstm's of our favorite epic music. =P

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Comparing Ness' victory jingle to the Mother boys' is stupid because Ness' is from MOTHER, while Brawl's is from MOTHER 3.
Actually, the one used in Brawl is actually a sped up version of the title music from Mother while the one used in Melee was the second half of 8 Melodies from both Mother and Earthbound.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
You should be dragged out into the street and shot.

One of the best victory pieces in the game.
Actually, as a super Metroid fan (pun intended), I'd have to say that Brawl has one of the worst renditions of that jingle.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Actually, as a super Metroid fan (pun intended), I'd have to say that Brawl has one of the worst renditions of that jingle.
I'm a huge Metroid fan too, and I think Melee's is one of the worst. In my opinion, 64's is the best of the 3 Smash games'.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'm a huge Metroid fan too, and I think Melee's is one of the worst. In my opinion, 64's is the best of the 3 Smash games'.
Yeah, to be fair, I don't really like any of the Smash Bros. renditions of it. It's just that the topic on hand is Brawl. Listening to all of them, none of them really sound that different from each other.

Metroid 1, Metroid II, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Metroid: Zero Mission, and the Prime games all did a much better job with it.

Yes, that IS all of the Metroid games.

Meh, it's the jingle that counts.

It can be the worst of its kind, but it's one of the best in brawl.
By saying it's the worst of its kind, I was also implying that it's not very good. I don't really think it is one of the best in Brawl. And in my opinion, if it does turn out that it's one of the best in Brawl, then that's pretty sad...

Hive Mind

Smash Journeyman
I'm just saying I don't like a lot of Victory Music, and Samus's seems to bring back nostalgia from me.

Out of all the Nintendo games I've played before (Pokemon, Mario, Metroid, LOZ, Ice Climbers, FE) I'd say the Metroid victory music felt the best. Although Fire Emblem is very good.

That's just my opinion.

I do see your point however. I just played MF and compared it to Brawl's and Brawl's sounds a little stale. The remix is bad; how the notes are organized is good.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Yeah, to be fair, I don't really like any of the Smash Bros. renditions of it. It's just that the topic on hand is Brawl. Listening to all of them, none of them really sound that different from each other.

Metroid 1, Metroid II, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Metroid: Zero Mission, and the Prime games all did a much better job with it.

Yes, that IS all of the Metroid games.
Heh.
I liked Fusion's and Prime's best. But I know what you're trying to say, the jingle in Metroid is styled pretty differently from the Smash renditions.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Heh.
I liked Fusion's and Prime's best. But I know what you're trying to say, the jingle in Metroid is styled pretty differently from the Smash renditions.
Well yeah, they are styled differently. I guess what I'm trying to say is I find the style of the Metroid versions to be better. I mean, it's not like they altered it to be totally victorious-sounding in Smash Bros. or anything, it's just slightly stronger.
I probably like Fusion's the best.

In the end I think I'm going to music hack it to be "The last Metroid is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace." anyways. =D

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
People always find something new to talk about, even though it's not positive, amirte? =P

I wouldn't even consider this as a bother, though. I can name a few that's not as good in Brawl, I wouldn't say all of them or most of them were worst in Brawl. I mean have you herd of Kirby's theme in Melee? I thought they made fun of him because he couldn't perform well at all in Melee. It's lost it's Kirby charm from 64, Brawl made it better because it match Kirby in his games very well. I suppose it wouldn't fit Meta Knight though. T_T

They just need individual ones for each character. Of course, more epicness wouldn't hurt. :3
I wanted to see that for a long time in Smash Bros.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Well yeah, they are styled differently. I guess what I'm trying to say is I find the style of the Metroid versions to be better. I mean, it's not like they altered it to be totally victorious-sounding in Smash Bros. or anything, it's just slightly stronger.
I probably like Fusion's the best.

In the end I think I'm going to music hack it to be "The last Metroid is in captivity. The galaxy is at peace." anyways. =D
The original ones are more fitting to the dark-ish atmosphere of the Metroid games, of course. I agree with you there, but I don't find 64's or Brawl's to be the worst renditions of it, to be honest. But you can argue about personal tastes all day long and not come to a conclusion. ;P

Top Bottom