• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Victory is My Destiny - MK Video and Critique Thread

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Good practice makes better. Play as many good people as you can, play lots of different MUs, and don't forget to have fun. :)

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
@ Marshmallow, you tornado spacing also needs a lot more work. If you can pressure a sheild with it, stay on the sheild, but it's best used when someone like Marth is primarily above, or below you. You don't want to approach with a tornado from a distance, that's bad. Also, your spacing in general, you need to mix up how you approach, when you attack, how you attack, and what you use to attack. You threw out Dairs when something like a tornado, or Nair would've worked much better. You also need to use SH Fairs for spacing more, and damage. They work well against Marth. I found you going above Marth too much, which isn't good at all. When dealing with a Marth approaching from the air, space Ftilts well, so the last hit will strike them, or the whole thing when their spacing is bad. Kaffei is right, you need to B cancel more. But you also need to SL a LOT less, and rely on it less as a kill move, because the extent to which you use it it becomes incredibly stale. You need to exercise proper judgement on when you air dodge, particularly going down, or close to the ground. But if anything, if you're above the opponent, you want to move away from them, not closer. At least try to shift around abit in the air to keep the opponent guessing what's coming next.

OBT

Savior of the Pandas
NNID
smuckersjam
this is a game between me (MK) and my friend who lurks smashboards and won't bother to make an account (marth)
we were playing on an old HDTV, so we had some input delay
i know that i did a lot of dumb things, especially trying that nado recovery, and never using the f-tilt
i would really appreciate the help :)
anyway, heres the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShNM7ouHL7A

Kaffei

Smash Hero
this is a game between me (MK) and my friend who lurks smashboards and won't bother to make an account (marth)
we were playing on an old HDTV, so we had some input delay
i know that i did a lot of dumb things, especially trying that nado recovery, and never using the f-tilt
i would really appreciate the help :)
anyway, heres the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShNM7ouHL7A
Okay, first of all you used Dsmash twice in the beginning when you could have grabbed or naired oos or something, which is bad since you're staling your kill move at extremely low %s.
You tend to hold shield, then backroll, which is predictable. I figured that out in like 10 seconds lol.

You don't edge guard.. at 0:45 your friend DIed really bad and you just stood there and let him recover you could have even attempted an edge hog. You do a lot of random jump > uair which... usually ended up doing nothing. You're trying to dair him when he's at 135% when you had like 2 opportunities to kill him.
Also I'm surprised you barely use shuttle loop at all haha. a lot of MKs love to spam it.

1:44 was smart.

Basically you need to apply more pressure, space better, and pick better options. Also work on DI.

OBT

Savior of the Pandas
NNID
smuckersjam
Okay, first of all you used Dsmash twice in the beginning when you could have grabbed or naired oos or something, which is bad since you're staling your kill move at extremely low %s.
You tend to hold shield, then backroll, which is predictable. I figured that out in like 10 seconds lol.

You don't edge guard.. at 0:45 your friend DIed really bad and you just stood there and let him recover you could have even attempted an edge hog. You do a lot of random jump > uair which... usually ended up doing nothing. You're trying to dair him when he's at 135% when you had like 2 opportunities to kill him.
Also I'm surprised you barely use shuttle loop at all haha. a lot of MKs love to spam it.

1:44 was smart.

Basically you need to apply more pressure, space better, and pick better options. Also work on DI.
ok thanks, i'll work on that :)

and i always knew that shuttle loop was spammable, so i try to avoid it as much as is necessary

also, i didnt edge guard because, well, for some reason, trying to gimp marth freaks me out a little, like if i'm at a medium/high %, i try to avoid gimping marth, i fear a counter resulting in a stage spike, or even me getting gimped

and yeah, at 1:44, i was thinking in the brawl "can i make it???" lol

i mostly go for edgehogs rather than gimps, but my friend hates edgehogs, so i tried to work with that, but i edgehogged out of habit :p he got a little frustrated

and i'll try to work on those things you mentioned at the end, thanks so much for the advice!

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Well, sorry but your friend needs to suck it up and get used to edge hogs lol.
If you think Marth will counter, all you have to do is predict it, wait for the super armor frames to go away, then dair him. It's sexy. Have fun! :)

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
HG, the thing is, if you CAN get a gimp with little to no reprecussions, you should go for it. You shouldn't have just sat there and let him get the edge, if you at least edgehogged him, and he got on the stage, you can actually ledgehop Dsmash him because of all the lag. Or, if you're slow on the reaction at least LH, fair him or something. Also, you Dair'd into his sheild and landed, which is easily punishable. Most dairs are used as pokes, you do them higher up, and hop afterward so it's harder to punish. You need to work on your tornado spacing.

Like Kaffei said, your rolls were extremely predictable. Work on switching it up, by throwing empty hops around, and DDing a bit inbetween your attacks. You're MK, you should be spending a bit less time in the sheild. If anything, experiment with being a bit more aggresive. But this doesn't mean being mindless, just pay attention to your pressure, and know when to pull back.

OBT

Savior of the Pandas
NNID
smuckersjam
@peachy: ok then, i'll work on those too, ty :)

@kaffei: yeah, thats what i always tell him :p he just doesn't get it...

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
Firstly, MOSS. WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many tornadoes at the wrong times. You want to tornado QAs, Jolts, while edgeguarding, or while Pika is on the edge. You RARELY want to tornado at a Pika's sheild. Also, where are your aerials at? You need to apply some pressure, tornado doesn't always work. You need to fair, it's great for spacing, and works wonders against Pika, especially if you apply enough pressure, and keep the Pika grounded.

When Pika's go for a thunder edgeguard, dair them before the thunder hits them, or if they do it to try to grab the edge afterward, if you're on the edge Uair them. Also, when you knock Pika away, you want to grab the edge always, limit them, and make their recovery options mre difficult, and wait for a messed up QA or something, and punish it.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Basically everything Peachy said... You are not applying pressure, at all lmao.

MCmaniacDBR

Smash Apprentice
Firstly, MOSS. WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many tornadoes at the wrong times. You want to tornado QAs, Jolts, while edgeguarding, or while Pika is on the edge. You RARELY want to tornado at a Pika's sheild. Also, where are your aerials at? You need to apply some pressure, tornado doesn't always work. You need to fair, it's great for spacing, and works wonders against Pika, especially if you apply enough pressure, and keep the Pika grounded.
I agree that I was nado-ing a bit too much. He was definitely beginning to read each and every time I was nadoing and responding accordingly...it wasn't until this match though that I realized pika's shield is almost as good as diddy's...which is ********. As for fairing that's another thing that now as I rewatch these vids I didn't do at all, and I usually do all the time...idk what was up with me that night in terms of fairs.

Also, when you knock Pika away, you want to grab the edge always, limit them, and make their recovery options mre difficult, and wait for a messed up QA or something, and punish it.
I did that most of the game, Neil's too smart to go for a ledge ever, so towards the end I kinda stopped doing that. Not to mention challenging Neil on the edge is the worst idea ever as noticed on my last stock on FD.

In the first video, you tended to over-b a lot randomly. I'm guessing you didn't mean to?
Also you didn't really DI out of pika's downsmash. So you took more damage. :x
(Controller Johns lol)

Yeah my controller as of lately decides to side-b a lot of times when I try to up-b, may need to get a new controller. Also I did DI pika's dsmash, it's just a really hard move to tell if you're DI-ing it or not. The second he got me in it I was mashing up on both sticks like crazy, I assure you.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Sounds like you are just johning to cover up what you did wrong instead of just taking advice and correcting it.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Sounds like you are just johning to cover up what you did wrong instead of just taking advice and correcting it.
I agree that I was nado-ing a bit too much. He was definitely beginning to read each and every time I was nadoing and responding accordingly
As for fairing that's another thing that now as I rewatch these vids I didn't do at all, and I usually do all the time...idk what was up with me that night in terms of fairs.
Not to mention challenging Neil on the edge is the worst idea ever as noticed on my last stock on FD.

may need to get a new controller.
sounds to me like you are just johning to cover up the fact that you arent skilled enough to actually identify what he did wrong and give him advice on what to do. I dont really see the johns here...

Kaffei

Smash Hero
sounds to me like you are just johning to cover up the fact that you arent skilled enough to actually identify what he did wrong and give him advice on what to do. I dont really see the johns here...
Bingo.
Speaking of critiques, it would be nice if top MKs like M2K or DoJo came in and gave advice. Honestly it's just BluePeachy here..

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Which is strange to me, even though its been a couple months since ive played him, I would never place BP in the "good enough to give advice" category...

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Which is strange to me, even though its been a couple months since ive played him, I would never place BP in the "good enough to give advice" category...
Haha, just come in here and throw out what you know. It's better than 1 person tackling a lot of new players IMO.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
MOSS, I only watched the last match of the set(s?) but i think the main problem you have is the same problem I see a in a lot of people that are trying to work up to the top level.

There are very few times to hit confirm in brawl. The only times I can think of is when you are hitting with a move that trips and you need to physically see whether it trips or not to decide whether to continue the combo.

Other than that, you have no time to waste with moves in brawl. You cant stop what you are doing to see whether a move hit or miss or what hit box you hit with. you have to just intrinsically know the game and spacing and priority well enough to know what you can do and what you cant do. and then be able to actually do it on command and know whats going to happen.

Its hard to describe, but ill give an example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXuHqwEW1XQ&playnext_from=TL&videos=fW9hB40zQH4&feature=sub

at :49, You glide attack him. but its obvious that at the time you threw out the G attack, that you didnt know whether it was going to hit or not. and thus you shielded afterwards thinking that you might get counterattacked for missing the move. and because of that slight half second that you wasted shielding and unshielding, he had enough time to airdodge the nair follow up. and consequencely beat you in a CQC exchange. (also a quick note, at that point why anybody would spotdodge right next to their opponent right after seeing them spotdodge is beyond me.)

at 4:16, theres pretty much no reason I can think of to use anymove other than down smash or SL after a shielded f smash.

at 4:51 you should have done a ledge drop up air, or ledge jump nair, instead of trying to out last a full thunder2 with ledge invincibility. theres no way thats going to work, and even if you had gotten hit by the thunder anyway, you would have killed him to with one of those aerials.

Against pika in general you want to try to zone him on the ground with tilts because f tilt and d tilt are faster and longer ranged than all of pikas ground moves other than maybe f smash which slow compared to mk.

remember to tornado all of pikachus special moves. (except thunder.) if you see a skull bash, jolt ot quick attack on the horizon, nado beats all of those.

Another thing I think ALL metaknights should try, and might make a lot of them better, is to never use down smash when their opponent is under 130. it will familiarise you much better with the character, it will teach you not to fight on auto pilot all the time, and it will give you probably the third best killing move in the game right behind snakes up tilt and foxs up smash. its very strong when its fresh and if you never use it otherwise, people wont know when to expect it.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
You do know that you can be good at giving advice, despite your skill level. =/ I doubt if anyone thought I was good by the advice that I give, just that I give good advice. I do know how to identify problems, and notice habits of myself and others. I mean, what human shouldn't be able to do that and correct it? It's just thinking logically. I'm basically applying that, and studying matchups, a lot.

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
Bingo.
Speaking of critiques, it would be nice if top MKs like M2K or DoJo came in and gave advice. Honestly it's just BluePeachy here..
If you ask M2k any questions of what to do he will most likely say "don't get hit" or just shrug at you. Idk about Dojo, though. :X

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
Honestly, how can people expect others to get better if the pros are distancing themselves from others? We're supposed to be a community, we should be helping eachother get better as a whole, but most of the critique threads in general are pretty dead. It saddens me.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Honestly, how can people expect others to get better if the pros are distancing themselves from others? We're supposed to be a community, we should be helping eachother get better as a whole, but most of the critique threads in general are pretty dead. It saddens me.
I could not have put that any better.

earthadept

Smash Lord
idk, it's hard to do this stuff online. the absolute best way to get better is to play with really good players, and have them give you immediate feedback

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
It's disgusting me that EVERYONE else has the MetaBlue texture. :urg:

FAR FAR FAR FAAAAAAAAR too aggresive. You need to majorly work on your defense.

Entirely, that was really my only problem. It seemed like you were incredibly reckless, I just think you need to work on your spacing more.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
You're kind of just swinging randomly like you don't know what you are doing.
Like, at 56 seconds you dtiled and dsmashed at nothing when you already knocked Snake away with a nair. You also move kind of lethargically for someone who is so aggressive.
Pick better options, and work on spacing. Your Shuttle Loops are really obvious too

1:44 What.........

Blizz`

Smash Rookie
well, wat do u mean by "pick better options"? like wat r the ways u can approach vs snake... and wat did i do wrong overall?

Kaffei

Smash Hero
well, wat do u mean by "pick better options"? like wat r the ways u can approach vs snake... and wat did i do wrong overall?
Pick better options means you pick the best choice possible in a given situation.
For example, you're MK vs Snake. Snake's shield breaks, and he is at 170%.
Obviously, he can't do anything at the moment, so you should kill him. It would be stupid to D-Tilt him or something that wouldn't kill him.

Top Bottom