• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] Melbourne CouchWarriors 2011 - AGM News

Would you like to see a cash prize pool? (Public vote)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
:) <3 SNOWWWWWWWWWWWW <3 :)

Welcome home Chris! Let's throw a smashfest for Chris! Happy birthday Chris ~ who wants to host?? Do itttttttttttt

Important Note for the Monthly this Sunday:
Please, ONLY those bringing gear should come at 1:30pm, there is a loading alley behind the venue where you can get out of your car and take the stuff right up the stairs into the venue.
There were alot of people standing around during setup time at the last event, and while I appreciate the enthusiasm, and the offer of help, the amount of people we had in there made it harder to setup, not easier, so please wait downstairs until told the event is open unless you are bringing TVs/tables/chairs etc... to set up.

Please don't bring in outside food, we want to do our best for The Curtin so that they want us back.
If you're going to drink, do it responsibly, and keep it downstairs.
Eat lunch before you come, the kitchen doesn't open until about 7pm, so you don't turn up at 2pm not having eaten.

Sounds like we're gonna have 40 people for this Monthly ~ Shaz, you've got work :grin:

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
lol What I meant was what would be the most appropriate time for our arrival? Last time I came at 2 but we still waited for 45 minutes and got in the way for the people bringing in equipment.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Anyone who breaks a TV, arrives early and gets in the way (stay outside or something plz) or generally p!sses me off will meet with an untimely death courtesy of me. Mikul will be allowed to do as he pleases with the carcass.

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
/Protips.
Shoot the cyber demon until it falls over.

Setting up has been organised a little different this month, so hopefully we're basically ready to start a little after 2. People will be paying as they come up the stairs as well, we noticed there was a rather large disparity between our total cash last month and the amount of people at the event. :s

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Some information worth knowing in regards to changes to monthly operation.

Singles will be running before teams.

-When singles are near completion teams can start, and we will be waiting on groups of two people rather than groups of four.
-Teams isn't ranked and therefore less important to complete.
-It will encourage people to arrive on time.
-Less televisions needed for teams - so if a TV leaves early = less drama.

All sets will now be best of 3 including winners and grand finals.

-Saves on a lot of time, and since these final matches tend to be some of the longest it's well needed.

Matches will now be designated to a television.

-This will end all confusion on 'we've been waiting for ages' and similar issues.

No-show disqualifications.

This is another measure I will take to combat the insane amount of wasted time seen at monthlies.
-Upcoming matches will be announced one set in advance to waiting players. With this people may collect players they know to be absent. Players will know they have an upcoming match, and may choose themselves whether or not they will risk toilet, food or social breaks. When your match is up you will have 2 minutes to show before you will be considered a no-show and be disqualified from the current match. This means auto forfeit, and removal to losers from winners, or removal from the competition on technicality if in a losers bracket match.
-Please inform me if you will be participating in other tournaments such as Street Fighter, Guilty Gear and so on so this can be taken into consideration.

Television/station naming.

-Each station will be given a name on the day of competition so to identify it from the rest. I feel this is a little more fun than assigning names like 'station 1' or 'TV A'.
-Naming rights for the upcoming monthly will be awarded to the winner of a lucky dip drawn by the winner of the singles event.
-Names can be anything providing they are both short and easy to pronounce, and do not offend anyone present or not. This includes those at the event that may not be playing smash.

Television concession.

It'll be happening. Bring a TV to avoid entry fee.

Challenge matches.

To mix things up a little and make for a bit more healthy competition year round. It's come to my attention that many players are 'ranked' in ranking battles at positions that they may feel don't accurately show their position within the community. To keep things more competitive, realistic and fair to those who can't attend every tournament I've decided to introduce a fancy little idea that many may either love or hate.

-Players may challenge anyone above them to a challenge match to lower the high players point total on the ranbats chart if they manage a win.
-Challenger may not gain points, only lower the higher players.
-Players are limited to one challenge per one month 'season'.
-1 point will be deducted from players within 3 places of the challenger (thats the three immediately above you.)
-3 points will be deducted from players higher than 3 places above the challenger.
-You may challenge anyone above you.
-These matches can occur in any free time we may get at the end of each monthly, or outside of the monthly event at will, though must be witnessed and announced prior to match to avoid any complications.
-Matches will be best of one game using random stage with each player allowed one stage cancel.
-Priority for challenge matches at the monthly itself will go to the lowest ranked players and work its way up the list from there depending on the time we have.
-You don't have to make a challenge per month if you don't wish to.
-Knocking back a challenge will result in a strike and a loss of 1 point.

Depending on the popularity of this idea I may consider changing the singles to single elim. in favour of fitting as many of these matches on event day as possible. This will allow for everyone to still be assured at least two matches (though granted less total ranking games) as well as allow for sweet revenge on the bum who knocked you out xD. It will overall give us more time to do with what we please, such as friendlies...more challenge matches...melee...crews...whatever we can fit.
I imagine it will make competition stronger also..which may or may not be seen as a good thing..though looking at KO's plans for the future of Brawl in Aus. I'd say this kind of thing could well be a tool to give us all an edge over interstate competition :)

I hope to see things change within the scene in a way which will please everyone as best as can be made possible. The above will hopefully cover for extra competition, more time for larking around at the latter end of the day and with any luck plenty of harmless fun.

Well I think that's about it all mentioned for the moment. Feel free to discuss and give feedback/thoughts...they're both welcome and encouraged.

PS. Thanks Wayne for the generous contribution to the Jam-fund.
PPS. Sorry Ahmet but from my point of view I think you're better off taking that up with Wayne directly for the time being. If we go through with your idea it'd be stealing from the poor to give to the poor...and that's just not the Robin Hood way :).

GO GO 2:30 in the flippin morning action!

Kulla

Smash Journeyman
Television/station naming.

-Each station will be given a name on the day of competition so to identify it from the rest. I feel this is a little more fun than assigning names like 'station 1' or 'TV A'.
-Naming rights for the upcoming monthly will be awarded to the winner of a lucky dip drawn by the winner of the singles event.
-Names can be anything providing they are both short and easy to pronounce, and do not offend anyone present or not. This includes those at the event that may not be playing smash.
Sydney was going to do a similar thing with TV station assigning stuff...however giving them names is something new....stoled for the Sydney scene!

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
lol when Shaz isn't running a tourney, he's running around trying to annoy people deliberately (I saw what you did at RAMBO :laugh:) but when he is running it he has to be mature and **** XD

Dekar289

Smash Hero
Singles will be running before teams.
Good good good.

All sets will now be best of 3 including winners and grand finals.
Is there still a third set if the loser's bracket team beats the winner's bracket team?

Challenge matches.
hmm. :dizzy:

say everyone challenges cobalt, and he has to play 20 matches to stop points being stripped off him. Ok, so limits as to how many times 1 person can be challenged per month. No, it''s still not right, because it's just one match on a random stage which could completely favour one person with the character.stage matchup. It's a silly idea IMO.
If you don't like the current ranbat rankings setup, which I'm not too fond but I don't care because it's not that important IMO, then simply adjusting the formula for how the ranbats thing works would be a much better solution. For example, giving more points to those who win, or more points spread from first to last, or basing it all of percentages.
Knocking back a challenge results in a "strike"? As in 3 strikes and your out? And you lose 1 point for each knock back?
This all sounds really unfair for those on top of the ranbats (not me!).

After looking at the ranbats, it lookes like there are too many points for 1st and second, so one way of balancing it or making it more accurate or whatever would be to give less pts for 1st abnd second and more 3rd 4th 5th, whatever,

but really,

it depends whether or not you want the rankings to reflect consistency or percentages, or who scrubs up best against the most other people. they are just the ranbat rankings, anyway, and as cao sez on the front page "these aren't necessarily representative of skill level" or something. If you want them to be, then perhaps it's better to start fresh with a new ranbats ranking system or wait until next year. This challenge thing is not the answer.
If you wanna prove you can beat the people ranked at the top, then just challenge them to a match at the end of the monthly. Say jei jei always gets beaten by forte, but jei jei performs well against most other players, it's not fair that jei jei gets 3 points stripped off him every month because forte beats him in a chalnge match, because jei jei is a better smasher because he can deal with everyone.

there's some feedback, love the rest of your new stuff anyway, shaz. <3

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Dekar - After reading your rant on the challenge system and viable alternatives I'll give a reply on each of them for your satisfaction xD.

Before that though, yes there's still a third set. Just less matches per set :)

20 matches to stop points being stripped off him.
If everyone's silly enough to try and challenge him then sure...something like this may happen. The chances of all of these matches occurring is pretty low however as it's more likely people will be clever enough to strive for a better position themselves and not just try to spite Cobalt or any other particular person. If they do choose this though it will more likely benefit the top position player as they will gain more experience and grow as a player.

"strike"? As in 3 strikes and your out?
Nope - nothing like baseball. Pass on the challenge and you will lose one point. This way if there's a challenge from someone immediately beneath you and you pass on it you will be practically admitting defeat.

If you don't like the current ranbat rankings setup, which I'm not too fond but I don't care because it's not that important IMO, then simply adjusting the formula for how the ranbats thing works would be a much better solution. For example, giving more points to those who win, or more points spread from first to last, or basing it all of percentages.
Which will see people throwing the finals to gain more points. Do we really want to make the finals lackluster?

This all sounds really unfair for those on top of the ranbats (not me!).
Yup. That's the idea. This way it will make it harder to remain in top positions. As it currently stands you're right points are too heavily rewarded to top positions. What's more a system like this current one if it takes seeding into account will practically make certain the top players gain more points at the end of each month. This makes it a slippery slope for lower ranked players and those who can't regularly attend. I'm not trying to Mario Party it up and give charity points, but I'm also not trying to make it so the winner of the first two monthlies can rest assured they'll finish top 5 with little effort for the rest of the year.

they are just the ranbat rankings, anyway, and as cao sez on the front page "these aren't necessarily representative of skill level" or something. If you want them to be, then perhaps it's better to start fresh with a new ranbats ranking system or wait until next year. This challenge thing is not the answer.

I don't want to null all the work KO and the highest rated players have put in this year, or else I'd start a new system completely. The reason a statement like that quote of KO's there is made is because it's obvious there are faults limiting the accuracy of the results. Not to say Cobalt Eric and such aren't fantastic players, just that the current system isn't exactly welcoming to the newcomers and late bloomers.

Say jei jei always gets beaten by forte, but jei jei performs well against most other players, it's not fair that jei jei gets 3 points stripped off him every month because forte beats him in a chalnge match, because jei jei is a better smasher because he can deal with everyone.

Then Jei had better start challenging the person above him to strip them down as many points as he can too. This is exactly what I want to happen, as it will give (using your example) Forte a bit more of a chance to catch up to the likes of Jei, give Jei reason to improve against Forte's character/s and style, and give Jei reason to wisely choose his next challenge target, as well as place as highly as he can to counter lost points.
-Keep in mind if Forte really is to drag down Jei significantly on his own somehow the amount of points deducted will drop to one as the gap narrows allowing Jei to climb back on the horse.

- - I want this system to encourage strategy as well as give reason for all players to become more accomplished in as many matches and styles as they can. I think the best solution to stop one person being spammed for challenge matches would be to limit the range in which someone can challenge - say by 6 positions. I haven't done this yet however as I would like to give it a chance as it currently is before ruling it out.

MikulOnIce85

Smash Ace
So shaz, I take it that there would be a time assigned for a food break, I had started a match and I was pretty much called on for my food, which wasn't that cool, thankfully it was still warm and ready to eat. I think that an assigned time for eating would be a good idea.

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
>.>

I don't get to challenge anyone but everyone will try to challenge me. It doesn't sound too fair as one particular person can be picked on throughout the whole year.

The reason top players get their points isn't because they get lucky. I didn't even have or even play Brawl for the first two monthlies but still managed to get 5th in both. I know you guys may think that this is a subjective opinion since I'm at the top of the list but I would have said the same thing even if I was at the bottom. Working your way up should be the challenge, not dragging someone else down.

If everyone challenged one specific person at the monthly and won, there goes all that hard work that player put into trying to get where he or she wanted. It reminds me of gambling in a way. You put in so much yet the chances of you keeping that is very little. That leaves very little point of even coming to the monthlies since you'll be so worried about everyone trying to challenge you and not trying to have fun.

If it was up to me I would simply remove the whole ranking system and just let everyone have as much fun as possible.

I want this system to encourage strategy as well as give reason for all players to become more accomplished in as many matches and styles as they can. I think the best solution to stop one person being spammed for challenge matches would be to limit the range in which someone can challenge - say by 6 positions. I haven't done this yet however as I would like to give it a chance as it currently is before ruling it out.
This means that you have to master the game and that's just wasting someone's time. It's a game but by having to learn all its tactics and strategies you're ruining it. Who's going to go play each stage and each character just to learn every single one of their weaknesses?

Shaz I like that you're thinking of innovative ideas and you're doing a great job but I'm just not up to this one.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I think dinner wil be from 6-7 or 7-8pm, and all tournaments will come to a halt during the designated dinner period.

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Rofl, I finally got to Sydney after having no internet connection, and now I'm forced to pay 14 dollars an hour. So yeah, I'm at a nearby cafe which charges much less, but I don't have much time sadly.

It was great spending time with everyone, and I'll give a much longer message and thanks once I get back to the USA. Hope to see some of you in RI or LA one of these days!

Dekar289

Smash Hero
thanks shaz ^^

Working your way up should be the challenge, not dragging someone else down.
exaaactly

how about
you gain points relative to the position of the player you challenge (above you) and they gain points the same way

like if 10th challenges first and wins, 10th gets 5 pts, but if 1st wins, 1st gets 1 point

OR, in addition to only being able to make 1 challenge per monthly, if somebody who is challenged wins by like 3 stock, they are safe from further challenges, or something along these lines

the main point is
Working your way up should be the challenge, not dragging someone else down.

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
If it was up to me I would simply remove the whole ranking system and just let everyone have as much fun as possible.
The ranking system is an important tool used for seeding matches in finals and any other larger events that may occur. The points system also gives a good indication of the better players showing up consistently. Take this as you will, but the rankings definitely do have purpose that we get use from.

I'm not sure what to make of Shaz's idea. Even with the singles changes, in my position I'm worried that these matches will still slow things down.

edit: Somebody had Loki's copy of Brawl? Dekar? Whoever has it, don't forget to bring it this week.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
keep the original cw ladder in the exact same system, but also have your ladder shaz, and start it off seeded based on something reliable, or just pure opinion XD

imo steal some crap from ga ladders, they do some things right dispite all the failures
maybe give divisions or ranges, you have to be within ____ spots to challenge someone
why? so rather than it being a challenge the top ___ players fest, it could work
don't dismiss this idea guys, we can let this start, work on it, then improve upon the flaws of the ladder until its prefect, this idea eliminates the MAJOR flaw present in the current ladder
it is based upon who is best, but it HUGELY favors people for turning up more often than actually being good

keep with it shaz, launch this stuff based on what you think is right, and then listen to what people say (the smart people) and improve upon what can be improved upon

also with challenges, make them before/after the main events, to not slow things down

with your changes, things will progress faster, a lot faster, so this leaves room for things do be done after

also remember guys, its not "play shaz's ranking system, or don't play anything at all"
we still have the monthly tourneys so on so forth, if you dont care about shaz's ladder? dont do matches for it, dont like how its done? then dont play shaz's ladder

also shaz, once you implement these ideas you have, not just the ladder, if it works how it should, ill be amazed :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom