• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] Don't Get Hyped - Jan 28 - Link to results at top of opening post

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
One hack that would be good would be the ability to have the tournament settings as the default. Unless there is a way to do that without hacking, if so please tell me.

jezza_10

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one against trip banning? The game should be played the way it was meant to be played. If you don't like tripping don't play Brawl.
Your not the only one. I'm against trip ban as well. hacking the game is one thing, changing the settings in the game (items and stages) is another. I wouldn't mind having a free for all 4 way tourney with items for the lols :)

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
Your not the only one. I'm against trip ban as well. hacking the game is one thing, changing the settings in the game (items and stages) is another. I wouldn't mind having a free for all 4 way tourney with items for the lols :)
Nah matches with nothing but Pokeballs are the way to go if you want lols, me and my brothers tried it years ago with Melee and it was pretty hectic fun but hectic.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
'play the way it's meant to be played' is a really crap argument.

If that was legit, we'd play Ffa with items and all stages on.

But we try to remove things that can randomly affect an outcome, or cause an outcome that cannot be avoided. This is why stages like wario ware are banned.

We also remove things that are stupid, like bad items that dont teally help anyone,mk's infinite dimensional cape, or ice climber cgi past 300% (which become literally impossible after a certain percentage anyway).

Tripping falls under both categories.

Saying that you can't hack all wiis, however, is a good argument. I suggest that more people hack their wiis, at least with the infinite replay code, and that we use the no tripping code for high bracket matches, such as wf, lf and gf.

:phone:

Tomiie

Smash Apprentice
i don't even think wiis need to be hacked/homebrewd to use codes, such as infinite replay. all you need have is:
first of all an sd card
gecko's boot.dol on the root of the sd card
smashstack on the sd card
and a .gct file on the sd card

then just use smashstacks method of booting up hbc installer, but instead it will bootup gecko, and then just turn codes on and launch the game. very easy. you can setup all wiis with codes just by using one sd card. no modding to any wiis done at all.

and.. save tags in replays is also a good code.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
and let's not forget no limits on time for saving replays...
if all wii's can be setup with these codes before the tournament, why not? defs something to ponder between now and the monthlies, brawl TOs...

Tomiie

Smash Apprentice
@Attila
if you couldn't find a pal version of "replays longer than 3 minutes code" that shows the Z button on the results screen, use this one:

Allow Replays Longer Than Three Minutes [Made Regionfree By Macopride64]
F6000001 80008100
A0030006 28002B98
14000008 60000000
14000008 60000000
14000008 60000000
E0000000 80008000

^ This one is the best, it works for all regions.

and..
this in an alternative of save tags in replays, if Pezza's code doesn't work:

Save Tags in Replays [Made Regionfree By Macopride64]
F6000001 80008100
801B0024 38800000
14000008 38A00000
E0000000 80008000

Edit: Oh yeah and they only work via Gecko and Neogamma, because there regionfree.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
I used to be against all things random in competitive play. As a competitive player it's natural to have hatred towards them, but as a spectator or a community, random in competition is actually good for entertainment and major upsets.
If someone loses due to a random event they wont necessarily lose confidence with themselves, but if they didn't trip and lost anyway they may just give up and lose motivation.
As a spectator, random events causes heaps more excitement with intense games. I know a few really intense games at majors where when someone tripped or w/e the crowed went crazy and loved the excitement. e.g. (Earl v Scoot Crew Battles), any top game like (Tibs v Corpse) and many others.
In games where you know one player is slightly better than the other; without any randomness the results are going to be boring and predictable that it causes no real entertainment. But when there are small random events it gives the spectators some kind of hope or uncertainty that really does appeal.
Tripping in particular in most cases simply tests the player on how they react with unexpected and quick thinking scenarios. I don't know how many times I've seen someone trip and then roll in a really bad direction to get back up and die because of their lack of quick unexpected decision making; then they go and blame it on tripping when it was in fact their bad decision. I'm not talking about all cases though. I know there are some cases where someone trips straight into a smash attack or if someone has really strong momentum and then trips which loses it.
There are more random events in the game right now that can easily change the outcome even moreso (GaW, Peach, DDD...) Like the crew game with ZXV and Myself ,_,.

This is mainly referring to tripping though, I understand completely that randomness can go too far like in Green Greens for example.
Some randomness is NOT a bad thing as a community competitive game. I can't think of many world wide top competitive head to head games that has no randomness, apart from probably Chess.
Small bits of random needs to stay to keep people guessing and on their toes. It's just everybody is thinking of the situation from the point of view of the player at that point in time, which is thinking narrowly imo.
If that isn't a good enough reason for you then stop trying to change the game, it's fine how it is imo.

My wii can't be hacked for Brawl, for some reason the wii freezes every time I try :(.

Splice

Smash Hero
even if we cant get no tripping on all wii's, Attila's suggestion actually sits really well with me.

When we just have winners final, losers final and grand final left, no trip please.
That's when it really makes the difference between matches (coz it's so close and we punish that ****) and also to have a tournament decided by a trip would be gay (happened in perth once, and that video attila linked also shows it).

I'm all for this, you'd just need to put the hacked wii with the infinite replay AND no trip hax on the best TV with the least glare.

I disagree with Gary. I never decide to trip. Sometimes a dash is the best/only way for me to punish something. Then I get killed because I trip. Your telling me I made a bad decision? So I should just let every oppurtunity pass me if I have to dash. Come off it. This is different to flames on Norfair and other factors that create intensity and can be worked around/reacted to. This is "you lose control of your character (in my case for 2 seconds) coz u tried too hard". By the time you know it happened and want to react to it... you already lost control of your character to a trip. So wrong.

It doesn't have to be done, but I think many would prefer it. To say it actually adds to the game-play, only just - JUST - falls short of admitting you have faecal matter in your brain.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
If you could read I did say excepting the situation of tripping straight into attacks, which is unfortunate. And as for GaW not my fault your char is bad at getting up.

This does slightly affect balance also. e.g. Ice climbers is pretty much now guaranteed to kill with a grab. No hope left once the grab is taken, might as well give up.

You really are thinking narrowly.

Seriously I would be sad if no-tripping was allowed in tourney. Especially if it was only us.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
^ lol
I forgot G&W takes damage with that move.

I think Splice meant implementing a hack to make G&W invincible. If so can we make a hack where Pit has invincibility frames throughout his entire UpB? That's pretty reasonable =D

Attila_

BRoomer
havent heard any disputes about the replay hack, so im assuming people think its a good idea. more replays, more youtube, more interest.

I used to be against all things random in competitive play. As a competitive player it's natural to have hatred towards them, but as a spectator or a community, random in competition is actually good for entertainment and major upsets.
If someone loses due to a random event they wont necessarily lose confidence with themselves, but if they didn't trip and lost anyway they may just give up and lose motivation.
As a spectator, random events causes heaps more excitement with intense games. I know a few really intense games at majors where when someone tripped or w/e the crowed went crazy and loved the excitement. e.g. (Earl v Scoot Crew Battles), any top game like (Tibs v Corpse) and many others.
In games where you know one player is slightly better than the other; without any randomness the results are going to be boring and predictable that it causes no real entertainment. But when there are small random events it gives the spectators some kind of hope or uncertainty that really does appeal.
Tripping in particular in most cases simply tests the player on how they react with unexpected and quick thinking scenarios. I don't know how many times I've seen someone trip and then roll in a really bad direction to get back up and die because of their lack of quick unexpected decision making; then they go and blame it on tripping when it was in fact their bad decision. I'm not talking about all cases though. I know there are some cases where someone trips straight into a smash attack or if someone has really strong momentum and then trips which loses it.
There are more random events in the game right now that can easily change the outcome even moreso (GaW, Peach, DDD...) Like the crew game with ZXV and Myself ,_,.

This is mainly referring to tripping though, I understand completely that randomness can go too far like in Green Greens for example.
Some randomness is NOT a bad thing as a community competitive game. I can't think of many world wide top competitive head to head games that has no randomness, apart from probably Chess.
Small bits of random needs to stay to keep people guessing and on their toes. It's just everybody is thinking of the situation from the point of view of the player at that point in time, which is thinking narrowly imo.
If that isn't a good enough reason for you then stop trying to change the game, it's fine how it is imo.

My wii can't be hacked for Brawl, for some reason the wii freezes every time I try :(.
randomness is something that we try to control, whether it be in smash, or anything else that is competitive. in the game of soccer, for instance, a divot in the ground can make a crucial difference the game, as it unexpected changes the direction of the ball, and can be game changing. naturally, soccer organizations employ countless groundstaff to minimize the chance of this happening. and in smash, we try to do the same thing, limiting stages, items, and various other techniques.

we can't control the other random matter in the game, short of inventing hacks to turning off completely. otherwise, inventing hacks to make them 'fair', like making every ninth gw sideB a judgement, would also be predictable and broken. and gw, as a character, benefits from this randomness. the same can be said for luigi/peach, and to a lesser extent, snake (sometimes weak attacks will blow up grenades, most of the time they won't).

tripping however, only benefits your opponent. it cannot be controlled, and can create opportunities for your opponent, despite your best efforts. you can lose games because of this. the apex gf, the grand finals of the biggest tournament on history, had a match decided because of this. it's one thing to say, 'as a spectator, i thought it was really hype', but what about nietono? that olimar who played endless hours to become amazing, only to lose 3600 bucks because of a single random event he couldn't do anything about.

that's pretty ****.

but so long as the crowd enjoyed it, right?

and, as a spectator, i enjoyed the rest of the set thoroughly, seeing two extremely high level players competing on the highest stage.

a little over a year ago, i lost a tourney set to earl due to a trip. he dsmashed my shield with poor spacing, i went to punish, and tripped into another dsmash, and then died. it really sucks.

the argument of the spectator is a really terrible one. caues it's not about them. hell, who even watched the gfs at dgh? who was even playing in them, or did they even take place? guarantee you im not the only one who doesnt know.

tripping

the most hype a brawl match has ever seen

good game
at the same time, that match caused one player to quit the game for a year and a half.

watch m2k vs brood at genesis 2, most hype match imo.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
Regarding the situation of Nientono I agree, although he still had to win another game just to even out the set or something right? So he may not have lost that money from the trip, chances are he was going to lose the set anyway.
I know at monthlys it is less spectator centralized but with all the new people if they continue to come, that will change. No one watched grand finals last tourney cos nobody knew it was happening. I had no idea, I would have loved to see how earl deals with GaW.
This isn't much of a point but tripping in some situations can benefit yourself as well. Like if they read your dash attack and they go to punish but you trip as well and avoid it. Or if your opponent is in the air and you trip, they try to aerial attack you but you use the invincible to get up and counter attack them.

I know tripping can be gay but I think the good things that come as the bigger picture outweigh slightly, if you disagree why change the game mechanics for a small gain? The mechanics should only be changed for large issues.

You were simply unlucky against Earl in that game, it happens, results don't always show the correct order of skill level. If they did it would be boring and we would see the order of the pr every tourney. People are too afraid of being judged from one tourney, which I guess I don't blame them because it seems that is what our community does, unfortunately. People don't realize there are other random things that happen outside of game like brackets, health, noise & distractions. One tourney doesn't mean as much as people around here like to think.

As for any codes that don't affect game play, I'm all for.

Did scoot quit for a year and a half cos he tripped in crews? Don't think so, pretty sure it was from Luke's bullying.

Attila_

BRoomer
that trip made him lose game one. that means that he needed to win on one of mk's cps in order to win the set. lol glhf

i don't want to benefit from tripping. i want to benefit from being better than the other player. in fact, this is how i always wanted to win. tripping adds in an element of randomness that can mean that the best player can lose, due to no fault of his own.

and this is stupid. the better player should win.

i can't control someones health, or if its too noisy (lol perth). but i can control whether or not someone has the possibility of tripping.

so why not?

one other point that i would like to make since you brought it up: in the snake vs mk mu, tripping is significantly worse for snake than for mk. if mk trips, and he rolls back, snakes only real punish is a dash attack, most likely sourspotted for 8%. if snake trips, however, he will most likely be dash attacked, and then juggled, which is like to cost anywhere from 30% to a stock. and that's equally ********.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
The snake v mk mu is a point I was trying to make, if there is some tvs with trip and others without it creates disputes due to how it affects the current balance of MUs. eg you would want no tripping and I would want tripping in snake or ic vs mk, How would we decide?

He was still a whole game behind when he lost the set. Also we don't know what would have happend if he didn't trip, sure he had a lead but it doesn't mean too much in Oli v mk.

If everyone wants no tripping then fine. But at least make it all or none.
Also I wanted people to know that there are people like me, against the mod. Before any rash decisions were made.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
i think most people agree that it should be all or none, and with tomiie's method all is very possible.
ledge ofc tripping affects matchups, it affects everything since it's random, that's exactly why it doesn't belong in a competitive game.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
Eh competitive doesn't mean no random. Poker is a perfectly good example. It's about optimising the randomness and being able to mentally deal with it afterwards. I actually make some tactical and strategical decisions based on my chances to trip, tbh I can't remember the last time I've actually lost a stock I would completely blame on tripping. One of the main reasons I quit olimar was cos his chances of tripping was high, he's always on the ground and his getup is very slow. So I chose a different strategy to optimise my chances. I have always thought that Oli v MK was evenish (apart from a short phase) I just think that MK is a much more reliable character. You could argue that no-tripping will make the game more reliable and yes you would be right, but as much as you'd like it, you will be changing the mechanics of the game and therefore changing peoples choices. I thought this was something we didn't want because of how we would go against interstate/international rules?

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Since day one it was agreed that mods that affect game play wasn't going to happen. Both TO's (Leisha and I) are against it so why are we still arguing it?
Does anyone really want to play Attila's IC's with no tripping on? It's like your only fighting chance once he gets that grab...

Ledge, this is besides the point but I'm pretty sure a heap of your stock was lost against me yesterday that you could blame on tripping. I don't know what that was about but you tripped about 10 times a match. I can't believe you are still against taking it away lol. Good :)

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
"Does anyone really want to play Attila's IC's with no tripping on? It's like your only fighting chance once he gets that grab..."

people still beat wobbles without tripping in melee....

and I'm pretty sure nietono lost that last stock because of constantly falling into mk's u-air then a nado >_>

lol at basing arguments about rules on how crowd pleasing they are...

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
On a separate topic, anyone want to come around for some Brawl or do something in general today?
I don't really have much on till I start uni towards the end of this month.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Shoutouts while I remember
Shoutout to South Australia
Batman: it was an honour to meet you
Allen: this dude wins 10:90 matchups, what a champ
ViVa: good job on top 8, back on the PR for you
Leisha: sadface at meeting so early in the bracket
Khoa: ^as above
Gords: cheers for teaming bro, many lols were had
Toshi: good job in teams... oh wait
Joey: good job winning that tournament thing
Sebby: kid's legit
Danza: you're really good too
Jei: I"m better than you scrub
Attila: yeah thanks for like that one teams friendly
Kier: don't think I got around to giving you those Brawl friendlies you wanted, try again next tournament?
Nicks: I like your beard
Ledge: stop playing so well
Earl: nice job winning
Splice: stop getting carried by Joey
Everyone else: all of you are cool, except me

E: I'm Dean, for those unaware

Splice

Smash Hero
I would happily play against Attila's IC's with no tripping.
Then I wouldn't have to fear tripping into a grab. Hardly a good example :p

And also, any situation where Attila isn't playing Snake really makes me happy and just sends a lovely shiver of ecstasy through my body.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
yeah this scene is going around in circles, this arguement has been had so many times already

Tomiie

Smash Apprentice
i made a tut showing how to load codes on your wii without modifying/changing it at all out of boredness.

Things you need-to/should know
*This method cannot harm your wii in anyway, i have not heard of anyone harming there wii by using smashstack. however i will not be held responsible if you wrongly use these files and harm your wii
*Make sure you have no stage builder stages on your wii or sd card, if you do, your wii will get a harmless freeze. so, delete them or back them up to another SD card or something.
*After loading the game with codes via gecko, you don't need to have your SD card plugged in your wii, having it plugged in makes stage builder boot up gecko again. Its best to have it not plugged in
*Once booting up gecko you can load ANY game with codes

This can setup every wii at a tournament very easily, all you need is one SD card with the correct files on it.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXK6LEm1bBo

I say in the video I would show you how to add more codes but I got lazy lol.

Danza

Smash Apprentice
^ lol
I forgot G&W takes damage with that move.

I think Splice meant implementing a hack to make G&W invincible. If so can we make a hack where Pit has invincibility frames throughout his entire UpB? That's pretty reasonable =D
Yeah that's a good idea, Pit should be Invincible whilst using Up+B. He is an Angel afterall.

Top Bottom