• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
What about the DK and Ike MU? There is a video where mew2king got Ryo's Ike to 72% off a dash attack then a grab. After that All DK has to do is do the ding-dong then its over. Just from what I noticed of course.
Are you talking about this match?

Mehh it's pretty even I would say. DK is a very big target, Ike gets huge reward out of anything and he slightly outranges him, not to mention DK is kinda easy to Eruptionguard or ledge guard but DK also gets huge reward, has better air speed(which means he has ways to outmaneuver him) and a lot of attacks that that can pressure Ike like Bair. Probably even both can completly murder each other on a good day but the other still has comeback potential.

I will also say though that some of you guys in this topic are really starting to jump down people's throats the moment Ike is mentioned. If you want the talk about him to die down a bit, don't jump.
I agree with you mostly but the thing is, it's not Ike, it's the one who talks about him. I noticed that whenever San, you or any other Ike main here like myself talk about him, the people here are fine because we are not overly pushy.

I can remember when we talked about Mac's tilts and he suddenly brought up Ike even though he had nothing to do with this.

Last edited:

sleepy_Nex

Smash Journeyman
He was at ZERO I am pretty sure it was a glitch because even though he suffered 25 percent more knockback a move like aether would not kill at zero especially off the top
The first hit of Aether has high set Knockback so that it easily combos into the attack. That with rage+more Knockback because of charging smash+weird Knockback scaling on set Knockback+Mewtwo light as a feather=ko at 0%

It's nearly impossible to hit but if you hit right the enemy doesn't get hit by aether and is going flying.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
MUs he loses in the high/top tier range

Sheik: 4-6
ZSS: 4-6/45-55
Diddy: 4-6/45-55
Fox: 4-6/45-55
MK: 4-6/45-55

After that you got one or two like Greninja where the range would be 45-55/50-50. Then you have a whole slew of 50-50 range ones, and then Rosalina and Pika in the 50-50/55-45 range, and then Sonic as a solid 55-45 advantage, might push it to be 55-45/60-40. Might put down Yoshi as 60-40 but we haven't talked about the MU in a long time, just some of us have heard recently that some Yoshis consider Ike to be one of their more difficult MUs.

There are also a few MUs where we have to play pretty differently to keep it around neutral which can throw a player off if they haven't done that MU before (like Olimar. We have to Jab like its Brawl again in that MU and basically don't touch Nair so its kinda weird to play at first).

Mario766 may be going about it the wrong way, but the main point that most Ikes believe is that nothing is unwinnable and we don't have a major advantage in any MU that matters. Kinda sorta Brawl!Marthish I guess?

There is some frustration for some of us Ike mains though because you can still see people who think Ike is too slow and that he's mid tier, or that their character soundly beats Ike. The Brawl stigma is still lingering a bit and its very irritating to work through. Part of the reason why the Ike boards don't proactively go out and set up MU discussions with other boards.

We also still have the problem where not many MUs are consistently showing up as a loss for the top level Ikes. Some of them struggle with Mario, others find him to be pretty easy for example. Makes nailing down MUs really difficult so they tend to average out to be around neutralish when you consider all top level Ikes.

I will also say though that some of you guys in this topic are really starting to jump down people's throats the moment Ike is mentioned. If you want the talk about him to die down a bit, don't jump.
I think the Rosalina MU is slightly in her favor. But it's definitely a tough MU.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
those 0% kills are pretty known but irrelevant in practical play.
Well, I've gotten a few WTF KOs thanks to the mechanics here by hitting with Pit's Dair (there's a hitbox that launches people strongly upwards) while the opponent was trying to Usmash me. I think I killed a Lucas at 50% like this once? Didn't matter much because I was up a stock anyway but still.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
He was at ZERO I am pretty sure it was a glitch because even though he suffered 25 percent more knockback a move like aether would not kill at zero especially off the top
That's because the first hit of Aether has absurd Weighted Knockback. *160*. Times that by the multiplier and multiply that by Rage = Death to all who oppose him.

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Is Luigi still a big threat? Is he still at least as good as the Ike/Pit/Greninja crew, or are we looking at the level below that with the likes of Lucario and Olimar?
Not targeted at you specifically, but what is actually keeping Olimar below the likes of Ike/Pit/Greninja? This seems to be a popular perception since I never see him listed among the low high tiers/barely solo viable crew anymore.

I know he struggles a lot with Sheik, but to my knowledge the rest of his top tier spread is pretty good. From what I've seen, he has even-ish or slightly advantageous matchups versus Diddy Kong, Rosalina, and Pikachu. I also can't see him losing horribly to ZSS, Ness or Sonic, though I'm not sure about Fox, Mario, Ryu, or MK. Is his Sheik matchup just that awful, or does he have other poor matchups that impede his viability?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So I've recently been hearing chatter that Robin is a good character, possibly even solo viable. I have no idea where this theory comes from, and I don't think Robin has any results to vindicate it, but post-patch Robin seems to have created some kind of weird mass confidence in the character that has me quite befuddled.

I...I really want to know if there's any non-Robin players who think this, because I know a good handful of people who've recently expressed this kind of opinion on the character. I personally don't see it, I don't know what kind of tools Robin has to beat the top characters or to overcome his inherent weaknesses, but I can't refute it either because I don't know if I'm the ignorant one and everybody else gets something I don't.

Has there been some kind of magical shift in results in some remote yet relevant region of the world I should know about? Or is this a classic case of players overrating their main with no real reason to do so?

Not targeted at you specifically, but what is actually keeping Olimar below the likes of Ike/Pit/Greninja? This seems to be a popular perception since I never see him listed among the low high tiers/barely solo viable crew anymore.

I know he struggles a lot with Sheik, but to my knowledge the rest of his top tier spread is pretty good. From what I've seen, he has even-ish or slightly advantageous matchups versus Diddy Kong, Rosalina, and Pikachu. I also can't see him losing horribly to ZSS, Ness or Sonic, though I'm not sure about Fox, Mario, Ryu, or MK. Is his Sheik matchup just that awful, or does he have other poor matchups that impede his viability?
I know an Olimar player who swears he's violated by rushdown or faster characters - Sheik, Captain Falcon, Fox, that kinda thing. I don't know if that's on-point, but I've been told it's near-impossible for Olimar to set up his gameplan with characters that can just pressure him and beat his tiny spaceman face in.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Off stream results against Rosalina have Ike winning slightly more often currently speaking.

Its a pretty minor advantage though to be sure.
That's probably the case but that doesn't change the MU imo and a slight advantage wouldn't mean that the MUs go in her favor.

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
Can we talk about Luigi?

I feel like the latest patch has all but removed him from the game. 1.0.4 Greninja style.

Is Luigi still a big threat? Is he still at least as good as the Ike/Pit/Greninja crew, or are we looking at the level below that with the likes of Lucario and Olimar? What are you guys thinking?

I personally think we're looking at the 20-25 range for him now. He really misses that grab. Yes, he still has safe spammable Smashes a la Mario, but unlike his brother, he lacks the mobility to use them effectively. This leads to serious killing issues and compounded problems against zoners.
I avidly believe that Luigi is still in the 15-20 range. Definitely down, but not out. The moderator for Luigi boards kind of explained it fairly well: 'Luigi is still top tier...at the beginning of the match'. You see, Luigi still has one of, if not the, best damage racking game until around 100%. Which means you'll be playing catch up if you let him in. His problem is now closing out stocks. But as Luigi mains get used to this, I feel as if that won't be much of a problem. He still has up b, cyclone 50/50's and amazing smashes. He also has an up throw that, after practicing with a bit, apparently has a 33% combo early game against fast fallers. He obviously isn't top ten anymore, and he still has his getting zoned out problems. But I don't think top 15 is a stretch at all. He's still Luigi. Kill confirms weren't the only thing keeping him in top ten. Outstanding damage per hit coupled with a superb frame data and combo game is also what made Luigi top 10. And he never lost that. Call me biased if you will (I suppose I am a bit biased about my own main, after all) but I believe that Luigi is still high (around the 15-18 mark) tier. It's just that people look at the fact that he lost his kill confirms and instantly go like: 'well, he's **** now'. Like, I saw a post somewhere saying that Doc was more viable than Luigi at this point. Overreacting to such things I won't blame people for. It was indeed a really bad nerf for Luigi. I won't conceal that. But people have created a stigma onto Luigi and saying that he's dropped from top ten to mid tier just because he his kill confirms? That's kind of rubbish, wouldn't you say? I want to show one more point: take a low/low mid tier character: Kirby and give him a kill confirm at around 120%. would he be top ten automatically? Would he ever have a shot at top ten at all? Of course not. He'd obviously rise a bit, but he still doesn't cover for his glaring weaknesses. Unlike Luigi, whose plentiful dominating strengths still make up for his (many) shortcomings.

Possibly really bad arguments aside, let me give a tl dr: Luigi, despite his pretty major nerfs, is still Luigi. His dominating strengths are still there and the only reason people say he can't kill is because I guess Luigi mains (I'm guilty too, I'll admit) relied too much on our kill confirms. But once we get used to our big strong brains (like we used for getting the grabs into down b to begin with) it's a matter of time before the 'Luigi can't kill' stigma to leave. Definitely not top ten but certainly around top 15.

Also, one other thing to respond to, before I post this.

Fox is probably our strongest high tier MU imo. Mario, Diddy and Pika MUs have been weakened, but still in our favor, ZSS beats us, but it's definitely still winnable. Ryu is a touch hard to determine, as I don't find many competent players. Our fireballs can outspam his hadoken, forcing him to approach most of the time. But we have to play very carefully or else we get punished hard. Our combos work well on him, though. Rosalina and Sheik have always been bad. We direly needed a secondary to beat them anyways. That fact hasn't changed. Consider it Luigi's challenge for his rite to passage. Except rite to passages are usually a bit more fair than those MU's.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182

Can't pretend to know anything about Olimar's MUs specifically, besides his Diddy MU being good and his Fox and Sheik MUs being really bad. Can't see him beating Rosa either. But anyway, he hasn't done anything in tourney for a long while (to the best of my knowledge) and his best players (Dabuz) pretty much say he's a counterpick character. There's just not much evidence Olimar can hang with the likes of Pit any more. His niche as a Diddy counter hasn't been very relevant for a while either since plenty of characters can fight Diddy now.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
So I've recently been hearing chatter that Robin is a good character, possibly even solo viable. I have no idea where this theory comes from, and I don't think Robin has any results to vindicate it, but post-patch Robin seems to have created some kind of weird mass confidence in the character that has me quite befuddled.

I...I really want to know if there's any non-Robin players who think this, because I know a good handful of people who've recently expressed this kind of opinion on the character. I personally don't see it, I don't know what kind of tools Robin has to beat the top characters or to overcome his inherent weaknesses, but I can't refute it either because I don't know if I'm the ignorant one and everybody else gets something I don't.

Has there been some kind of magical shift in results in some remote yet relevant region of the world I should know about? Or is this a classic case of players overrating their main with no real reason to do so?
Surely is the hype overreaction like the one Falco got. I no longer think Robin is trash, sure, but he is still dissapointing. Hasn't done anything big aside from that Raziek guy who got rekt by emo ZeRo (if I recall correctly) and Nairo's Robin who also got rekt by not-so-emo ZeRo....

:4sheik::4zss::4fox::4ness::4sonic::4mario::4diddy::4metaknight::4pikachu::rosalina::4pit::4villager::4ryu::4yoshi:

So I was writing my thoughts, but as I summarized my opinion on all the popular/commonly agreed on being good characters, everything I wrote was the same. Most of this characters don't give a damn about Robin's zoning game. They can either rushdown it, outcamp it, or negate it entirely. Next is that most of them also pressure Robin all day long if they want to. They get in and Robin can't do nothing about it. Robin's mobility is atrocious, is not like he is going to approach and get grabbed for free, and like I said, most of this characters don't give a damn about Robin's projectiles. Next is that most of this characters gimp Robin with little trouble or no trouble at all. It's not as extreme as Gravitational Gimp, but offstage Robin still kinda sucks. Still, correct me if I'm wrong here, but I can't see Robin as solo viable if almost all, if not all, of the top characters beat him.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Well, kill confirms are extremely important. One of the key defining traits of almost every top character in this game. So for Luigi to lose his confirms, especially ones from a grab (arguably the best kind, since they beat shield), is definitely a big deal. And yea, I'd say if Kirby were to get kill confirms comparable to Luigi's old ones, he'd rise substantially.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
Can't pretend to know anything about Olimar's MUs specifically, besides his Diddy MU being good and his Fox and Sheik MUs being really bad. Can't see him beating Rosa either. But anyway, he hasn't done anything in tourney for a long while (to the best of my knowledge) and his best players (Dabuz) pretty much say he's a counterpick character. There's just not much evidence Olimar can hang with the likes of Pit any more. His niche as a Diddy counter hasn't been very relevant for a while either since plenty of characters can fight Diddy now.
I'm not super knowledgeable about this matchup, but Dabuz believes that Olimar actually beats Rosa. Considering that he lost to Rich Brown at Paragon and had to switch off Rosa against a Chicago Olimar at Dismantle (dropped a game), I don't have many doubts about this.

Sheik Olimar is hard for Olimar, but there's way too many Olimars that have beaten Sheiks for it to be considered unwinnable (it's definitely not).

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Who cares if it's lingering? It could be transcendent with invincibility (oh, hi Ryu) and that doesn't matter. You're punishing here. You're not trying to catch a spotdodge or beat a button. You can't up tilt out of a run. I wish you could, but you can't.
Wait... Is it really transcendent?

Surely is the hype overreaction like the one Falco got. I no longer think Robin is trash, sure, but he is still dissapointing. Hasn't done anything big aside from that Raziek guy who got rekt by emo ZeRo (if I recall correctly) and Nairo's Robin who also got rekt by not-so-emo ZeRo....
More like people saw minor buffs, found out what Falco could always do, and said they always knew he was good and a mid-tier pre-1.0.8, but is now a high tier despite everyone trashing on him. Yeah, that same **** we do with Bair, Fair edgeguarding, D-throw and U-throw setups, Dtilt abuse, and Uair juggles clearly came from patch 1.0.8. He ain't **** and won't ever be worth **** until his mid-range game functions beyond "pew" and getting Falcon Punched because of the massive recovery.

Robin at least had more substantial buffs to not only her close-range game, but even mid- and long-range. Robin also had 2?, I remember 1 Japanese player, but don't remember if there was another Robin, taking at least top 64 at EVO along with recent placings right after the DK and Robin/1.1.0 patch. I remember this since that Robin was the one who knocked Falco out of top 64; Keitaro lost to him. Robin has some claims to being at least a mid-tier through results and theories.

Last edited:

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Robin's pretty good, Dath gets reasonable results with the character.

Disjointed aerials that do dumb damage and kill at 100 or earlier. Ledge traps that basically ensure your opponent gets hit with something, guaranteed kills off a grab at 90...
At early %s she gets dumb stuff like d-throw > wind jab which can do over 20% to fast fallers.

Low mobility sucks but Robin forces her opponent to come to her.
Not a "solo viable" character but probably around DK level wherever you place him.

Firefoxx

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firefoxx200
3DS FC
1821-9385-9105
Just pointing something out. Raziek (who placed top 48 at EVO along side Mr. ii a Japanese Robin) beat ZeRo's Sheik in convincing enough fashion that ZeRo immediately switched to Diddy. Both Raziek and Dath continue to perform very well with the character. Its a small sample, but those two are doing serious work with Robin. Its not all hype overreaction.

An interesting Robin focused discussion would be whether the character beats Sheik, which both Raziek and Dath believe to be the case. That seems like Robin's ticket to competitive relevance

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Wait... Is it really transcendent
1. Mega's shoryu is transcendent.
2. I've never seen Ryu's clash (always trades or wins)
3. It would be really awkward and bad game design if it did clash.

I don't remember if I looked at the mastercore or just assumed that it is. But I'm 99% sure it is.

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
Well, kill confirms are extremely important. One of the key defining traits of almost every top character in this game. So for Luigi to lose his confirms, especially ones from a grab (arguably the best kind, since they beat shield), is definitely a big deal. And yea, I'd say if Kirby were to get kill confirms comparable to Luigi's old ones, he'd rise substantially.
Kill confirms are decently important, but not as important as you're letting on. If I recall correctly, sheik has no kill confirms, only 50/50's. (Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while since I've faced a decent sheik and the day I know how to use sheik is the day everyone on this thread agrees on universal tier list). What, then, puts her at the #1 slot? Her strengths simply overpower that one weakness to the point where she's the best character in the game thus far. As for the point with Kirby I was trying to make. I was trying to say that even with the newfound kill confirm, Kirby still wouldn't be top ten by a pretty big margin because his newfound strength still wouldn't be compensating his weaknesses. Luigi was top ten because of his amazing strengths and his reliable kill confirms. While his kill confirm is gone, a 50/50 is still there out of d-throw. Certainly not nearly as consistent, but it's there. And his other strengths are still untouched and still amazing. Not to mention that he still has a good MU chart on the bottom half of top ten (considering Mario, diddy, fox and pika are still there in according to popular opinion). Again, I'm not gonna lie, the nerf sucked and was horrible for Luigi. But saying that his placement in top 10 was solely because of kill confirms is ridiculous. And I think putting him in 20-25th place on the tier list is just as ridiculous. He's still a great character.

Edit: Sheik DOES have kill confirms (namely off a soft Nair). I'd say it's still harder to land than the likes of ZSS and MK, but that would be implying I know sheik besides the Mario/Luigi MUs. The rest of the post I do stand by though.

Last edited:

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
There's pretty good reason to think Robin has gotten the most massive buffs in the lifespan of this game, even more so than Ike, who I think could only be seen as a better character because of lesser initial weaknesses and from having more representation. Robin's buffs include:

- Wind jab (Robin has a frame 4 jab 1) since its multi hit speed buff can kill fastfallers like Sheik and Fox at around 100-110%
- Dthrow to uair is the strongest reliable hoo ha in the game, being guaranteed to kill at around 100%, airdodgeable at some percents but guarantees a regrab
- Fair got a 1% damage buff, was already very strong but now it kills at around 100-120% and DI generally makes you die earlier because of its angle
- Arcthunder follow up potential got greatly increased with the 10 frame endlag reduction, the weaker two variations also got a smaller endlag reduction and a 1% damage increase
- 1.1.1 Made all of Robin's aerials safe on shield upon landing, although fair and bair hit on rising shorthop and autocancel regardless and that's usually the way to use them but now that's even more safe as well

Because of arcthunder's endlag reduction you can grab opponents from much greater distances if you lock them into their shield by it now, and you get a guaranteed uair kill off of that grab at higher percents (basically where uair starts killing until probably 130-140%). As a result of all the buffs, Robin's aerials and projectiles are just a lot more threatening and safe now resulting in a better neutral, and while her disadvantage overall is still bad, her reward got overtuned even more than DK's for example with the dthrow, fair and jab buffs. She's probably higher mid tier at this point, might even create an Ike reception if more people dedicated to her though.

SubconsciousRose

Smash Cadet
I think it's more so the inexperience people have with Robin given it's a rather uncommon character rather than the Robin matchup itself. When I watched ZeRo vs Raziek it felt like ZeRo let Raziek recover with elwind for free sometimes which is strange given it's a recovery you can tamper with for sure and he was playing Sheik.
I think that Robin is pretty capable in general though because frame traps with arcfire and various thunder charges along with a powerful disjointed aerial that kills are pretty amazing aspects to the character. The broken tomes/levin are also pretty interesting and quite powerful especially the book which does 18%. And while Robin's grab range is still the worst in range and poor mobility doesn't help the reward is quite amazing whether it's wind jab on a fast faller like Fox for 20+% at low % and or a kill confirm with down throw>uair at around 90 or so on some characters. Also the endlag reduction on arcthunder several patches ago is fearsome given it confirms into levin aerials as well as moves like fsmash if you're close enough.
One of the people I practice with most often mains Robin and while I think Robin still struggles against most of the upper echelon of the cast, I feel Robin is still a character with very solid traits and is worth noting.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
True 50/50's are basically kill confirms. (and Sheik does have true combos into kills anyway, soft nair or needles > bouncing fish)

An interesting Robin focused discussion would be whether the character beats Sheik, which both Raziek and Dath believe to be the case. That seems like Robin's ticket to competitive relevance
Robin doesn't beat Sheik

The main thing is Sheik has to learn to count levin sword usages, and play safer than normal when at checkmate %s until the levin sword is used up, then go ham.

Needles also completely destroy robin's elwind (run off jump, needles towards the stage > whatever). Sheik destroys Robin off-stage in general.

Probably even or +1 Sheik.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Kill confirms are decently important, but not as important as you're letting on. If I recall correctly, sheik has no kill confirms, only 50/50's. (Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while since I've faced a decent sheik and the day I know how to use sheik is the day everyone on this thread agrees on universal tier list). What, then, puts her at the #1 slot? Her strengths simply overpower that one weakness to the point where she's the best character in the game thus far. As for the point with Kirby I was trying to make. I was trying to say that even with the newfound kill confirm, Kirby still wouldn't be top ten by a pretty big margin because his weaknesses still wouldn't be compensating his weaknesses. Luigi was top ten because of his amazing strengths and his reliable kill confirms. While his kill confirm is gone, a 50/50 is still there out of d-throw. Certainly not nearly as consistent, but it's there. And his other strengths are still untouched and still amazing. Not to mention that he still has a good MU chart on the bottom half of top ten (considering Mario, diddy, fox and pika are still there in according to popular opinion). Again, I'm not gonna lie, the nerf sucked and was horrible for Luigi. But saying that his placement in top 10 was solely because of kill confirms is ridiculous. And I think putting him in 20-25th place on the tier list is just as ridiculous. He's still a great character.
Sourspot nair is a kill confirm for Sheik. And I'm sure she has more.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Just pointing something out. Raziek (who placed top 48 at EVO along side Mr. ii a Japanese Robin) beat ZeRo's Sheik in convincing enough fashion that ZeRo immediately switched to Diddy. Both Raziek and Dath continue to perform very well with the character. Its a small sample, but those two are doing serious work with Robin. Its not all hype overreaction.

This Robin is simply a really good player, but ZeRo is still the best in the world. Beating the best player in the world and claiming it's because Robin wins the MU is absurd because you're basically saying its an unwinnable MU for Sheik.

I think it's more of lack of MU knowledge mixed in with not playing his finest. I watched the set, and I knew this was the case because Zero never really tried to gimp Raziek (which is like a must in the MU).

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
1. Mega's shoryu is transcendent.
2. I've never seen Ryu's clash (always trades or wins)
3. It would be really awkward and bad game design if it did clash.

I don't remember if I looked at the mastercore or just assumed that it is. But I'm 99% sure it is.
I looked at mastercore for you, so now you can be 100% sure it is.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Ty Loki.

Fwiw: local zss has been going Robin vs our #1 Sheik and feels like it's a better matchup. (Edit: vague statement that likely has to do with both the players and the characters).

Something something forward facing rising aerials.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
This Robin is simply a really good player, but ZeRo is still the best in the world. Beating the best player in the world and claiming it's because Robin wins the MU is absurd because you're basically saying its an unwinnable MU for Sheik.

I think it's more of lack of MU knowledge mixed in with not playing his finest. I watched the set, and I knew this was the case because Zero never really tried to gimp Raziek (which is like a must in the MU).
What I said in my first post about Robin. Most, if not all, top tier characters gimp Robin for free. If ZeRo wasn't emo, he would surely edgeguarded him so hard it wouldn't look fair. But it's irrelevant because he let Raziek recover...

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Most of those that are saying Robin is solo-viable are actually saying that high-level Robin play requires dedication and meticulousness to such a degree that it's almost detrimental to their progress with Robin if they try to learn another character. Gotta go all Robin, or make due with an automatically lesser Robin if you try to pick up another. Maybe Solo-inclined is a more apt term over solo-viable.

Sheik's weird. Robin has the range and power of heavy characters, but without the giant hurtbox. Sheik can rack up to 100% but then she's playing on edge since she'll die at 90 from larger aerials or Wind Jab if she's just a frame off.

Also every time someone says Robin gets gimped for free, a kitten eats a baby. Please keep the well-being of the babies and kittens in mind from now on.

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
"Robin beats Sheik."

That's a very... dubious statement, to say the least.
Does Sheik even have a negative match-up? From the MU's I've seen she either is +1 or is so ridiculously in control that I can't even comment on the advantage..

I'm sure she has an even MU in there somewhere but negative? Don't think so.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Most of those that are saying Robin is solo-viable are actually saying that high-level Robin play requires dedication and meticulousness to such a degree that it's almost detrimental to their progress with Robin if they try to learn another character. Gotta go all Robin, or make due with an automatically lesser Robin if you try to pick up another. Maybe Solo-inclined is a more apt term over solo-viable.

Sheik's weird. Robin has the range and power of heavy characters, but without the giant hurtbox. Sheik can rack up to 100% but then she's playing on edge since she'll die at 90 from larger aerials or Wind Jab if she's just a frame off.

Also every time someone says Robin gets gimped for free, a kitten eats a baby. Please keep the well-being of the babies and kittens in mind from now on.
LOL. Robin is not that hard to play dude. She's not Ryu. She's not anywhere near Ryu. You don't need to dedicate your entire being to Robin to play her at a high level. Not even Ryu requires that much dedication. Seriously, why do so many people on this site believe their main takes so much dedication? I see it all the time. I've even seen a Falcon main say that Falcon is the hardest character in the game to play. Lmfao.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Does Sheik even have a negative match-up? From the MU's I've seen she either is +1 or is so ridiculously in control that I can't even comment on the advantage..

I'm sure she has an even MU in there somewhere but negative? Don't think so.
Her even MUs if I remember correctly are:
:4sheik:heeheee:4mario::4sonic::4zss: maybe :4metaknight::4diddy::4ryu:

I don't know if :4lucario::4kirby: are still considered even either

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I was never on board with :4luigi:being top 5 pre-patch (to many disadvantages /counters MU fir a top 5 character ) and I don't even think he fits Top 15 now. I mean he losses to 3 of the Top 5
:4sheik::4zss::rosalina: then he also losses to :4greninja::4pacman::4megaman::4villagerf:some of these are considered counters and after this patch, he prolly loses to :4peach::4samus::4tlink: while might even losing to more. Compare that to the likes of Greninja, Olimar, Falcon,and the Pits(Characters hovering around 15ish more or less). While he might still have slight advantages over :4pikachu::4mario::4fox::4diddy: he still have quite a decent number of problematic MU's that hinder him way more then say :4greninja::4falcon::4olimar: who all Ironically have a bad Sheik MU (Sheik is good guyz)

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
An interesting Robin focused discussion would be whether the character beats Sheik, which both Raziek and Dath believe to be the case.
Wait, really? Where'd you hear this from? Because the spreadsheet and video that they made says we lose.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Falcon is incredibly easy. Only prepatch Diddy and Luigi were anywhere near his level of simplicity.

I don't think Robin is that hard. Her CQC used to be difficult to use (and also just bad) but it got simpler and better with the jab buff, grab buff and shield nerf. The Dthrow buff simplified a lot of things, namely her CQC and punish game. Nairo has implied he thinks Robin fundies are transferable to other characters; he's said on his stream that he uses her (and MK) because they can be played like ZSS in many ways.

Ryu takes dedication to a degree. Complicated execution and inputs, and he doesn't play quite like anyone else so learning him doesn't transfer amazingly well to other characters. You are massively rewarded for your dedication though and I don't see why learning Ryu would prevent you from playing other characters, like some have suggested. Would just require putting a bit more time into your secondaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom