• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
A weight boost would go ablong way for mewtwo. I actually think his uair is a decent move it could be better. I think Mewtwo moves are too slow fastest ground move being frame 6 does him no favors. *sigh* Really wish mewtwo was good this time around.

Except give him an OoS option that hits all around him. I wouldn't actually touch the damage on nair just make it 4 frames or something like that. I think a faster nair would improve his combo game.
I would much prefer his grab getting fixed in terms of OoS options. Reduce the range slightly and make it 6-7 frames. As I said I don't know if Nair would even hit anyone on the way up from a short hop unless the startup was really low. I know Bair doesn't and that's frame 5. Don't get me wrong, if they buff Nair's startup that's cool but there are other things that would benefit Greninja more without making him OP.

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
I think he isn't looking to have fantastic top tier match ups across the board (imo he could be dangerous for Mario, Luigi, Ness and maybe Sonic/Rosa/Pika), but I really don't know what's left for them to buff on Ike if anything other than his specials or end lag on smash attacks (which would be silly). Up Tilt now covers everything around him and reminds me of DA POWER of Snake [hitbox lasts for 3 more frames of his animation!!!]. And between that and his buffed forward and down tilt I wonder if there's any other character in the game with an argument for a better set of tilts... Falco maybe? Pikachu? DK? like... they're really fricken good.
Ike's tilts are really good. U-tilt is basically his normal U-smash while his actual U-smash is his 'input smash attack' (14% omg). F-tilt keeps people away. D-tilt is a combo tool...

The only other I can think is probably Falco and Sheik. Falco's U-tilt and D-tilt are great (F-tilt is good also), and Sheik's everytilts combos into BF and U-tilt frickin' combos to tipper U-smash. F-tilt starts strings, D-tilt also kind of set ups things, but you better Bouncing Fish to people with that.

Though, things I noticed, his airspeed is good, but his aerial mobility is kinda horrible because his air friction is baaaaaad (I play him and he feels really really fragile and slippery in the air. Especially when you try to edgeguard low). His recovery moves only go one direction each and cannot be chained (Unless you hit people with QD), and depends a lot on his double jump. Any flinching projectiles stop Quick Draw (Though, you can release it above opponent since Ike carries his momentum over and can land safely at the end of the stage), and Aether's armor is lackuster (He doesn't have armor when going up, leaving him open for stagespikes).

But urgh, I'm not really looking forward to the day when Ike replaces Sheik because rain of buffs. The fact that Zelda and Robin exist is a discrimination.

Last edited:

Ikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smooth_Moonman
anyone else think Toon Link vs Luigi is Toon Link's favor? He's got the tools to out-pressure him in neutral and doesnt have to worry about fireballs as much (ESPECIALLY in customs, where fire arrows stop fireballs completely and are probably the best custom in this matchup) as well as having better mobility and disjoints to beat out luigi's attacks.

also, when people talk about OoS options, does anyone consider simply shield grabbing?

Luigi player

Smash Master
anyone else think Toon Link vs Luigi is Toon Link's favor? He's got the tools to out-pressure him in neutral and doesnt have to worry about fireballs as much (ESPECIALLY in customs, where fire arrows stop fireballs completely and are probably the best custom in this matchup) as well as having better mobility and disjoints to beat out luigi's attacks.

also, when people talk about OoS options, does anyone consider simply shield grabbing?
Probably Toon Links favor or at best even for Luigi. He can't punish landings for his life and has big troubles landing any hit.
Toon Link players already play their character in the way Luigi has problems and struggles...

Konneh

Smash Cadet
Due to a multitude of reasons these can or can not be considered:
- Quality of your character's Grab
- Quality of your character's throws
- Amount of other OoS options

For example, consider you only have Shieldgrab in addition to a miserable grab. People will abuse you and hit your shield from above constantly or bait you into whiffing, which would lead to a very hard punish. If your throws suck, too, then he's not even scared of getting shieldgrabbed. If you had a sex kick as an OoS option, these might not have happened.

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
you forgot traction. its why :4luigi: oos game is kinda bad. its also why :4mewtwo: has mediocre oos.

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
Probably Toon Links favor or at best even for Luigi. He can't punish landings for his life
Explain.

TL's airspeed is slower than my walk. D-air is MIGHTY unsafe on shield. The rest of his aerials I'm sure trade or lose with U-smash. Bombs can be caught, Boomerangs can be shielded, arrows can be shielded, and... yeah. I cannot quite practice this yet but I play online so what can I do.

Konneh

Smash Cadet
Explain.

TL's airspeed is slower than my walk. D-air is MIGHTY unsafe on shield. The rest of his aerials I'm sure trade or lose with U-smash. Bombs can be caught, Boomerangs can be shielded, arrows can be shielded, and... yeah. I cannot quite practice this yet but I play online so what can I do.
Can you also elaborate a bit further, it sounds to me like you just argued Luigi doesn't get punished for Toon Link's landing. I don't see how catching a bomb or shielding boomerang / arrow punishes Toon Link quite yet; besides, I'm sure there's more to the bombs, like Z dropping one and following it closely to punish your catch or zdrop/downthrowing them between Luigi and where TL wants to land.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
:4gaw: mobility specs are pretty good.
His short hop air dodge is incredibly low to the ground + he can still act out before landing.
His full hop retreating aerials auto cancel / end before landing and are a lot harder to punish.
His grab game (i.e. down throw) is pretty solid, at worse you get up-b, at best you get 9s, up air at kill percent or buckets. In other words, stupid.
Dash to shield and his fox trot lengths are pretty solid. He also has an [near?] instant crouch animation.
Majority of his moves are disjointed, however many have sizable hurtbox extensions.
Nigh ungimpable recovery, will kill most characters for trying and can use those abilities to intercept recoveries for stocks in the opposing situation too.
Dash attack, dash grab, jab and now down tilt are all pretty solid ground moves, more than most characters have to play with (in fact it's virtually the same as Meta Knight, G&W just doesn't get the same consistent rewards as he does).

If he was more than featherweight he (common theme) would be kinda top/high tier. He can't really force kills yet he has a small list of very potent kill set ups. Him going for them would usually be a 50:50 for a lot of characters in getting punished but are worth still going for a lot of the time, in G&W's case him trading or losing the 50:50 tends to be too caustic to his success as he can't afford to make many, his disadvantage and difficulty of being combo'd isn't inherently amazing, his aerials are bad anti-juggles, and his up-b only helps on platformed stages or against those being over zealous in their follow up attempts.

If you have balls of fury and can take the heat in the proverbial kitchen of characters having kill throws outright or as confirms or fast long range moves that can kill him at sub 100% you can win [at] large regionals maybe even nationals with him.

--

:4myfriends: although I've seemingly been anti-Ike hype (I was just being devil's advocate / FAIR / it's an ironic homage to the Meta Knight 20XV story), I definitely feel he's very strong overall and demands a lot of respect. One could consider him a mix between Marth fundamentals succeeding and a faster and disjointed Ganondorf. I think the results for him are going to start coming in.... that fair hitbox buff makes his combo/trap game almost trivial... jab is so much stronger now too.... if For Glory is anything to go by, he's a winbutton demon.

I think he isn't looking to have fantastic top tier match ups across the board (imo he could be dangerous for Mario, Luigi, Ness and maybe Sonic/Rosa/Pika), but I really don't know what's left for them to buff on Ike if anything other than his specials or end lag on smash attacks (which would be silly). Up Tilt now covers everything around him and reminds me of DA POWER of Snake [hitbox lasts for 3 more frames of his animation!!!]. And between that and his buffed forward and down tilt I wonder if there's any other character in the game with an argument for a better set of tilts... Falco maybe? Pikachu? DK? like... they're really fricken good.

Either way, Brawl Ike-level WiFi domination guaranteed.
Yeah Ike's tilts are pretty bonkers. Dtilt confirms Fairs for loads of damage (and it's fast as hell), ftilt has some godly disjointed range, and Utilt kills way earlier than it looks and covers ledge options really well. I do think he has the best set of tilts in the game, followed closely by Pikachu, DK, Falco, and Link in that order.
Now I've heard rumors that Ike has a good Luigi matchup. I'd like to go into that matchup in detail.

Zage

Smash Journeyman
Bombs can be caught, Boomerangs can be shielded, arrows can be shielded, and... yeah. I cannot quite practice this yet but I play online so what can I do.
I mean, going by that, you can pretty much invalidate every character because you can shield their hitboxes.

Luigi already has enough trouble as it is in the neutral game, having to also deal with a wall of projectiles seems like something he doesn't want. Especially considering his fireball is most likely going to clank with whatever TL has out on the field, and his OOS options are kind of weak outside of N-Air and Up-B, but I think TL will seldom be in range for the Up-B.

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
We generally want to patch out the numerous Boomerangs or Arrows with Fireballs (By using them properly of course. I don't mean standing there mashing B). But when TL pulls out a bomb, that's our cue to stop Fireballing and start to read what he is trying to do. Thanks to our F-air, spamming it can usually catch a bomb. But Z-air is something I need to analyze more.

I mean, going by that, you can pretty much invalidate every character because you can shield their hitboxes.
Nah. Boomerangs and arrows are like 20+ more frames.

Can you also elaborate a bit further, it sounds to me like you just argued Luigi doesn't get punished for Toon Link's landing. I don't see how catching a bomb or shielding boomerang / arrow punishes Toon Link quite yet; besides, I'm sure there's more to the bombs, like Z dropping one and following it closely to punish your catch or zdrop/downthrowing them between Luigi and where TL wants to land.
Catching a bomb means you can now throw it to TL, which effectively 'punishing' him. Shielding the boomerangs/arrows don't punish TL directly, apologize for that. I often have troubles with retreating boomerangs and I dunno why I put that.

Luigi already has enough trouble as it is in the neutral game, having to also deal with a wall of projectiles seems like something he doesn't want. Especially considering his fireball is most likely going to clank with whatever TL has out on the field, and his OOS options are kind of weak outside of N-Air and Up-B, but I think TL will seldom be in range for the Up-B.
He does not want walls of projectiles, but that doesn't mean he insta-loses or he can't get around.

Actually, we want Fireballs to clank with everything but Bombs.

You dash to shield to only really shield his projectiles, really. Then you just drop it and continue to approach and prepare for another projectile. I have read from TL boards that 'Luigi can just walk and shield all of their projectiles. And spotdodge their grabs because they are telegraphed', which seem reasonable because TL's projectiles are all obvious, and his grab is... F16 iirc?

But do correct me if I'm wrong.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
You dash to shield to only really shield his projectiles, really. Then you just drop it and continue to approach and prepare for another projectile. I have read from TL boards that 'Luigi can just walk and shield all of their projectiles. And spotdodge their grabs because they are telegraphed', which seem reasonable because TL's projectiles are all obvious, and his grab is... F16 iirc?

But do correct me if I'm wrong.
Toon Link's standing grab is 12-18. Total frames is 61.

Dash grab is 14-22, 71 total. Pivot is 15-21, 71 total.

Source: Sixriver

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Yeah Ike's tilts are pretty bonkers. Dtilt confirms Fairs for loads of damage (and it's fast as hell), ftilt has some godly disjointed range, and Utilt kills way earlier than it looks and covers ledge options really well. I do think he has the best set of tilts in the game, followed closely by Pikachu, DK, Falco, and Link in that order.
Now I've heard rumors that Ike has a good Luigi matchup. I'd like to go into that matchup in detail.
Dtilt is very good. Ftilt and utilt are situational, but decent. Pretty much

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
you forgot traction. its why :4luigi: oos game is kinda bad. its also why :4mewtwo: has mediocre oos.
There are some upsides, though: it's harder to pressure their shields into breaking due to them sliding away from further immediate assault. This helps Mewtwo get space back under pressure (via short-hop airdodge) even if he can't immediately retaliate.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
All jokes aside though MK has been getting more and more play and that's going to continue. How does he do vs other top tiers. I know he's a bad mu for Rosa.
People are picking him up for the wrong reason, Zex is using MK to 'counter' Sheik which i strongly disagree with. Here's how i think MK does against the relevant characters Shaya put on the first page, take it with a grain of salt tho(other than Rosalina and ZSS).

+1
:rosalina::4ness::4mario::4olimar::4darkpit::4villager:

+0
:4metaknight::4pikachu::4luigi::4wario2::4pit::4lucario::4diddy::4rob:

:4sheik::4fox::4sonic::4falcon::4yoshi:

:4zss:

6WX takes a local with Ryu. Going up in viability.
http://www.twitch.tv/cpsiv/c/6998044
I swear to God SRK is free as ****. Fox basically lost his stock at 58%.

Edit: Then Zex goes MK and beats Trevonte's Sheik....

Basically on the last stock Zex was getting bodied and he won by throwing out a random F-Smash. It wasn't a read he just threw it out...

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
Explain.

Well, what do you think of the MU?

You can either usmash OR shield, not both (usmash wouldn't even reach him, and shielding will hit you too far away to get a true punish). By the time Toon Link lands he's already too faw away again. If you try to catch his landing he can just bair, nair, airdodge Z drop the bomb or throw it down on you. I'm not saying Luigi won't ever get to hit Toon Link, but catching his landing is super difficult. Bombs, boomerang and arrows everywhere. And if you don't get to powershield them it's really bad for Luigi. Catching the bombs does indeed help a lot by trying to catch him, but catching them isn't that easy, especially if they're cooked. And while you might get to somewhat limit Toon Link with that he still has options to escape.

The problem is not Toon Links horizontal airspeed, it's his super low falling speed coupled with it + the bombs.
Bair and Nair are superfast and hit Luigi out of stuff easily. They are super annoying. It's like you finally would have him without a bomb and could punish or grab him, but no, the aerials stop you. Fireballs are even too unsafe in some situations since bombs eat right through them.

Not saying Luigi can't win or that an even MU would be impossible, but it doesn't really feel even. Getting through all the aerial camping while trying to watch out not to hit bombs can be really frustrating. Getting (dash)grabs on him is also pretty rare since catching his landing is so difficult. Also iirc he falls out of dthrow cyclone too.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Someone posted this in the Falco boards... Thanks, developers... Ryu's walking speed is between Lucas and Ganondorf's and Roy's running speed is between Charizard and Meta Knight's, so they have fairly noticeable differences. Geez, Sonic runs more than twice as fast than walking and Captain Falcon almost twice as fast. So, speed matters not in a sense of Sonic being the fastest, therefore, Sonic is the best character, but more like Sonic having noticeable speed difference matters as he can change gears "better". It's like Sonic goes from 5th gear and cruising while walking, but downshifts to 2nd gear to accelerate while running since he can't accelerate as quickly from 5th. Falco's more like going from 6th to 5th gear to accelerate or hell, he's probably accelerating at 6th gear while driving uphill. Idiot pilot.

I don't know if there's one with air speed as another variable. I mean, Wolf's running, walking, and air speed were barely different. That's not bad; that means Wolf is pretty much mobile all around with air speed being the most notable. If his air speed was ported right over to Smash 4, it would be above Wario's and maybe equal to Roy's air speed. It's when you're slow on the ground with barely any differences between your walking and running speed and your air speed is even slower that it's a problem. For Link it's kind of a problem, but Link has usable projectiles, durability, and fairly quick disjoints compared to Falco whose most useful "projectile" is Reflector, he's more or less a glass cannon considering his kill potential, and he doesn't have safe disjoints other than Dtilt while Blaster, Reflector, and landing Fair are risky because of their end lag or landing lag in Fair's case.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Someone posted this in the Falco boards... Thanks, developers... Ryu's walking speed is between Lucas and Ganondorf's and Roy's running speed is between Charizard and Meta Knight's, so they have fairly noticeable differences. Geez, Sonic runs more than twice as fast than walking and Captain Falcon almost twice as fast. So, speed matters not in a sense of Sonic being the fastest, therefore, Sonic is the best character, but more like Sonic having noticeable speed difference matters as he can change gears "better". It's like Sonic goes from 5th gear and cruising while walking, but downshifts to 2nd gear to accelerate while running since he can't accelerate as quickly from 5th. Falco's more like going from 6th to 5th gear to accelerate or hell, he's probably accelerating at 6th gear while driving uphill. Idiot pilot.

I don't know if there's one with air speed as another variable. I mean, Wolf's running, walking, and air speed were barely different. That's not bad; that means Wolf is pretty much mobile all around with air speed being the most notable. If his air speed was ported right over to Smash 4, it would be above Wario's and maybe equal to Roy's air speed. It's when you're slow on the ground with barely any differences between your walking and running speed and your air speed is even slower that it's a problem. For Link it's kind of a problem, but Link has usable projectiles, durability, and fairly quick disjoints compared to Falco whose most useful "projectile" is Reflector, he's more or less a glass cannon considering his kill potential, and he doesn't have safe disjoints other than Dtilt while Blaster, Reflector, and landing Fair are risky because of their end lag or landing lag in Fair's case.
characters with low differentials tend to have really good tilts for spacing it seems

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese

Mfw Donkey Kong is faster than Mario

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
6WX takes a local with Ryu. Going up in viability.
http://www.twitch.tv/cpsiv/c/6998044
Wait. He was unviable before?

Also Ryu has taken several locals and he is barely a month old. Trela, 6wx, SolidSense and myself have put in work with this character. 9B too.

Have Roy and Lucas done anything yet?

If not I think it's telling who the best of the three is thus far in the meta.

Granted its still early. Super early, but for Ryu who is touted to be complex and Roy and Lucas are nowhere near as complex to have not as good early results. I mean...I guess Ryu is just an example of you get back what you put in.

Last edited:

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
who's playing :4lucas:other than pink fresh who doesnt even own the game? its hard to take locals if there's no players for the character...

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Not to doubt Ryu or anything, but I struggle to consider Trela winning locals a sign of Ryu being viable. Trela also won locals with Mewtwo and Mii Swordfighter; both of which are not great, but better than we thought. That said, Ryu is pretty strong and he has made an impact so far despite his meta being so young. I used to have my eye on Lucas, but he's straight up just underwhelming. Roy is about as good as Marth, which isn't a great place to be, but who can really say. I imagine there will be another wave of DLC before August is over, and with it will come a patch. Hopefully it won't shake things up too much.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
This also speaks volumes to me. Why does no one strong want to mess with Lucas? Is he just not worth it?

@ C0rvus C0rvus You're NJ. I'm NJ. Lets play sumtime bro. Gotta make sure us NJers stay on top of the meta and continue running this game.

Yeah I said it.

Last edited:

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
This also speaks volumes to me. Why does no one strong want to mess with Lucas? Is he just not worth it?
I could say something similar about many characters. With time, people will eventually explore them.
People just want results. It's just safer to stick with Sheik or Mario than to try putting in the work for Lucas or Game & Watch because it hasn't been proven that they're good yet (assuming they are).

ShortcutButton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShortcutButton
Trela also won locals with Mewtwo and Mii Swordfighter; both of which are not great, but better than we thought.
When was :4miisword: ever "better than we thought"? Did I miss some breakthrough that shot him out of the mii-legal trash heap?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I could say something similar about many characters. With time, people will eventually explore them.
People just want results. It's just safer to stick with Sheik or Mario than to try putting in the work for Lucas or Game & Watch because it hasn't been proven that they're good yet (assuming they are).
idk man. Lets shift gears a bit and talk about Roy just to prove a point. When a friend of mine asked NEO on facebook who he mains, he said I main Sheik and secondary Lucina. And I know NEO has been playing Roy since he dropped. That says alot to me that the man that made Roy in Melee would rather play Lucina, a worse Marth over Roy. And ALOT of people were hype for Roy and you can't say he is under explored. I know people have been repping him hard. But hes not getting results far as I know. And he is def not harder to play then CF who does have a strong local presence.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Not to doubt Ryu or anything, but I struggle to consider Trela winning locals a sign of Ryu being viable. Trela also won locals with Mewtwo and Mii Swordfighter; both of which are not great, but better than we thought. That said, Ryu is pretty strong and he has made an impact so far despite his meta being so young. I used to have my eye on Lucas, but he's straight up just underwhelming. Roy is about as good as Marth, which isn't a great place to be, but who can really say. I imagine there will be another wave of DLC before August is over, and with it will come a patch. Hopefully it won't shake things up too much.
Roy is worse than Marth. Trela results with mewtwo are pretty limited. Considering he stopped using him. Otger than trela Eblemlord and SoludSense has won locals with ryu.

But the dlc overall have bern pretty tame. Other than ryu we haven't really seen them. Nakat used lucas vs ally but that still didn't amount to much.

Ikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smooth_Moonman
I still think Roy is better than marth if not because his phenomenal mobility allows him to get in close with his sweetspots. He's really like a disjointed captain falcon, honestly. I wouldn't put Marth in high tier (the top of upper mid sure) but I do think roy is on the lower end of high tier.

Ryu I do feel has the potential to be top 15.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Alright, it was a bit unfair of me to cite Trela's Mewtwo results, but you get the point. Trela is a yung god who makes middling characters work. But I have faith in Ryu at least. Roy IS worse than Marth, and Marth isn't great. Lucas IS worse than Ness, no questions. I know they share very few similarities, but whatever. Being worse than Ness isn't immediately a bad thing, and he isn't exactly Doc levels or worse, but he's not a very impressive character. Maybe if Nakat didn't play 4 characters and he chose only Lucas we would see some cool stuff, but he should focus on Fox and Ness.

@ Emblem Lord Emblem Lord I think we got to the same local. Would love to get bodied by your Ryu.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
idk man. Lets shift gears a bit and talk about Roy just to prove a point. When a friend of mine asked NEO on facebook who he mains, he said I main Sheik and secondary Lucina. And I know NEO has been playing Roy since he dropped. That says alot to me that the man that made Roy in Melee would rather play Lucina, a worse Marth over Roy. And ALOT of people were hype for Roy and you can't say he is under explored. I know people have been repping him hard. But hes not getting results far as I know. And he is def not harder to play then CF who does have a strong local presence.
Roy is like Mewtwo. He will die off.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I still think Roy is better than marth if not because his phenomenal mobility allows him to get in close with his sweetspots. He's really like a disjointed captain falcon, honestly. I wouldn't put Marth in high tier (the top of upper mid sure) but I do think roy is on the lower end of high tier.

His disadvantage state is garbage, you can't have poor disadvantage states against top tiers. He does worse than Marth against the characters that matter.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691

Na there's nothing Roy actually has over Marth. With the latest buffs Marth got he's a lot better than before. As Emblem Lord said what MU would you want Roy instead of Marth?

That's the thing though no one is putting Marth as high tier. He's stilk better than Roy.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Roy has many many things over Marth and Marth has many many things over Roy. I'm done discussing these things but I would like to say that Marth is definitely not upper mid-tier or freakin high tier. There are too many good characters in this game for that.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
This is weird. People are actually listening to Emblem Lord. What next? People realizing Marth is good?

So guys Ryu is DEFINITELY low tier. ALWAYS counter pick him with Halberd. He certainly can't take advantage of the low ceiling with an absurdly powerful vertical killing move.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
When was :4miisword: ever "better than we thought"? Did I miss some breakthrough that shot him out of the mii-legal trash heap?
Pretty much Swordfighter was considered the worst character in smash 4 after the mewtwo patch Swordfighter gained massive buffs that made him not the worst character in smash but no one really noticed until Trela won a bunch of Locals as APEX Swordfighter making him temporarily relevant

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'm surprised people's opinions on Roy soured so quickly. Myself, I never really thought too highly of him, but I thought he was better then Marth at least. And most people weren't even aware of Marth's buffs...

Ah well. At least we have two viable swordies.

TriTails

Smash Lord
His disadvantage state is garbage, you can't have poor disadvantage states against top tiers. He does worse than Marth against the characters that matter.
Sheik? I have heard she has F3 N-air but it doesn't break combos at all.

Well, what do you think of the MU?

You can either usmash OR shield, not both (usmash wouldn't even reach him, and shielding will hit you too far away to get a true punish). By the time Toon Link lands he's already too faw away again. If you try to catch his landing he can just bair, nair, airdodge Z drop the bomb or throw it down on you. I'm not saying Luigi won't ever get to hit Toon Link, but catching his landing is super difficult. Bombs, boomerang and arrows everywhere. And if you don't get to powershield them it's really bad for Luigi. Catching the bombs does indeed help a lot by trying to catch him, but catching them isn't that easy, especially if they're cooked. And while you might get to somewhat limit Toon Link with that he still has options to escape.

The problem is not Toon Links horizontal airspeed, it's his super low falling speed coupled with it + the bombs.
Bair and Nair are superfast and hit Luigi out of stuff easily. They are super annoying. It's like you finally would have him without a bomb and could punish or grab him, but no, the aerials stop you. Fireballs are even too unsafe in some situations since bombs eat right through them.

Not saying Luigi can't win or that an even MU would be impossible, but it doesn't really feel even. Getting through all the aerial camping while trying to watch out not to hit bombs can be really frustrating. Getting (dash)grabs on him is also pretty rare since catching his landing is so difficult. Also iirc he falls out of dthrow cyclone too.
If he doesn't have bombs, Fireballs are safe, and bombs take a while to pull out.

I'm having a hard time believing TL can run away from me that easily because again, his airspeed is slower than my walk. He takes time to pull out stuffs, and the startup can let us keep up with him. It's not like he gets to throw out bombs lke they have F1 startup.

He is one of the easier characters to be kept in HooHahNado because falling speed.

Dunno much. Luigi boards agree TL beats us. TL boards agree TL lose to us. I have been told countless times to 'just shield' when asking for advice on ROB's and Link's projectiles. But at the same time, I can't see this being not in TL's favor. There's more to this character I've yet to see... but it's no worse than 40:60 TL IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom