• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tito Maas

Smash Ace
NNID
2OwtBlue
I really don't think you know what you're talking about and you're hiding by results a bit much. There's 4 high level Rosalina that do extremely well in their region and has shown up at big tournaments. The same is true for fox and Mario. Fallb was top 32 at evo and ceo however you limit your results to top 16 only. Then there's the fact tgat Abadango out placed dabuz and was using Rosalina also. It's weird to see you talk about nakat's ness but ignore his fox. When looming for high level foxes. There's also grimturtle and megafox. Megafox has better shaky and falln has beating nakat. There's more rel that I'm probably forgetting for these characters but it's still there.
Please don't talk about Abadango's Rosalina. I think everyone is disappointed that he used her at all.

Speed Boost

Smash Apprentice
Bringing up Meta Knight in the top 5 discussion makes me think of another character that had surprising results at EVO. Wario, we all saw "Abadango's Revenge" in top 8. He showed just how powerful Wario is as a comeback character. If Wario were to get a real down throw he would be something else.

Does anyone think Wario has a legit chance to crack the top 10 with or without customs?

migul

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0447-6664-6504
Bringing up Meta Knight in the top 5 discussion makes me think of another character that had surprising results at EVO. Wario, we all saw "Abadango's Revenge" in top 8. He showed just how powerful Wario is as a comeback character. If Wario were to get a real down throw he would be something else.

Does anyone think Wario has a legit chance to crack the top 10 with or without customs?
I do. I think he's top 10

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
What does :4metaknight: have that :4wario: doesn't? If your metric is solo-main viable + results then I think Wario along with Pikachu and Sonic come into that conversation far sooner than MK does, potentially in a similar position to Mario.

The following is not a tier list or a ranking of characters from best to worst, rather just different categories I think they fit into. I think I'd put MK in the first grouping but in a proper tier list I can see him being below all of groups one, two and three.

Most viable to solo-main (ie "good+ character with no real counter"):
:4sheik:
:4zss::4sonic::4pikachu:
:4mario::4wario::4diddy:
:4metaknight::4yoshi: I think? pls help re: yoshi's positioning

Potentially held back by questionable matchups or inherent weaknesses (ie "GREAT character with noticeable exploitable flaws"):
:4fox::rosalina:

Held back by bad matchup(s) or obvious weakness:
:4ness::4luigi: and maybe :4falcon:

Counterpick status/held back by significant bad matchups:
:4olimar::4rob::4villager:

Edit: thinking about Diddy and he might belong in the second group. Is anyone getting results with him aside from Zero? If Diddy's up there then Pika and Rosa are also up their despite their thin ranks of representation.

-1: :4greninja::4rob::4villagerf::4wario2::4pacman::4sonic:
0::4tlink::4link::4olimar:
+1: :4duckhunt:(:4lucario:)

but gets bodied by character who excel at camping
These matchup ratios seem at odds with this statement.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Like I said when you have 7-8 characters that can argue for the top 5 you have to draw the line somewhere and no criteria is perfect. Instead of telling me how I don't know what I'm talking about why don't you enlighten me.
I already gave an example why I feel you don't know what you're talking about. I also already told you what the criteria should be. If you're simply going to say results and not have a basis about the characters yourself. There's not much merit to what you're saying. I'd rather hear your thoughts on s character extend beyond what you see on stream. I'll give you a tip what you see on stream is about 10% of a tournament. Especially majors.

Speed Boost

Smash Apprentice
I already gave an example why I feel you don't know what you're talking about. I also already told you what the criteria should be. If you're simply going to say results and not have a basis about the characters yourself. There's not much merit to what you're saying. I'd rather hear your thoughts on s character extend beyond what you see on stream. I'll give you a tip what you see on stream is about 10% of a tournament. Especially majors.
So, in other words your option is right and mine is wrong. Okay, I guess that makes things easier. Thanks broseph.

migul

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0447-6664-6504
What does :4metaknight: have that :4wario: doesn't? If your metric is solo-main viable + results then I think Wario along with Pikachu and Sonic come into that conversation far sooner than MK does, potentially in a similar position to Mario.

The following is not a tier list or a ranking of characters from best to worst, rather just different categories I think they fit into. I think I'd put MK in the first grouping but in a proper tier list I can see him being below all of groups one, two and three.

Most viable to solo-main (ie "good+ character with no real counter"):
:4zss::4sonic::4pikachu:
:4mario::4wario::4diddy:
:4metaknight::4yoshi: I think? pls help re: yoshi's positioning

Potentially held back by questionable matchups or inherent weaknesses (ie "GREAT character with noticeable exploitable flaws"):
:4fox::rosalina:

Held back by bad matchup(s) or obvious weakness:
:4ness::4luigi: and maybe :4falcon:

Counterpick status/held back by significant bad matchups:
:4olimar::4rob::4villager:

Edit: thinking about Diddy and he might belong in the second group. Is anyone getting results with him aside from Zero? If Diddy's up there then Pika and Rosa are also up their despite their thin ranks of representation.

These matchup ratios seem at odds with this statement.
MVD and Angel Cortes have great success with Diddy.

Ikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smooth_Moonman

Wario is easily top 8 IMHO. He's placed very high in two incredibly big tournaments (Abadango placed 8th at apex with Wario after starting at apex with pac-man, and got 4th at EVO using mostly Wario.)

His frame data, movement, KO power, and punishes are all on point and he is probably one of the best players at challenging defensive play, with a forward facing KO confirm out of a grab, something almost no one has, Waft catching and punishing a lot of things, and Chomp, which is the unchallenged best command grab and potentially among the best grabs in the game

why people still put him in upper mid is absolutely astonishing to me. he is a top tier threat.

it's my personal opinion that Wario is the 4th best character in the game, behind Sheik, Rosalina, and Pikachu/Zero Suit (still undecided on this) but that's just me.

Last edited:

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Every time someone says "well lol that's just Zero/Nairo" in response to anyone pointing out how good Sheik/Diddy/ZSS are...

I just. Want. To flip a table.

Yes: The best players picked these characters to compete in international tournaments.

What does that tell you?
To be fair, we ignore other things. Like most things ZeRo says about character standings.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I skipped an entire page, but I just read that AA said that Sonic doesn't care about ZSS's neutral and threw up.
What are you doing? Serious.

Her neutral is one of the very reasons he straight up loses to her. What the ****.
:applejack:
I'm not the Zero Suit in question; I certainly couldn't play ZSS to save my life. I do, however, routinely see Lux, who is locally one of our strongest players, be put on the ropes by a local Sonic a lot worse in general at the game than him who just figured out the MU. ZSS has relatively few safe options, none of which are practical if the Sonic refuses her the spacing she wants and further doesn't let her jump uncontested. It gets even worse in that Sonic has the general fastest long-range punishes OoS (because of his mobility and good dash attack) so less is safe against him than normal, and it's not like ZSS can grab so if Sonic goes for shield too much there's basically no consequence... Hammer Spin Dash kinda laughs at Paralyzer too (punishes on reaction with 20+ damage); ZSS can't really use her projectile to force a better situation in this MU even if Sonic is just hanging back, and that just further poops on her neutral (I haven't seen the laser neutral for ZSS tried; it might do a little better?). She can win by just guessing right, but you can only guess right significantly more than half the time if you're way better than your opponent which isn't promising. That's at least what our local meta has shown; I'm really unsure of what safe button she can hit in neutral if Sonic is standing right outside of her ftilt range and is watching to use his mobility to exploit any attempt she makes to change that spacing. If she has one, we haven't found it.

To be clear, I'm also in the "ZSS is really overrated in general" camp. I just don't have the faith in the character that everyone else seems to have; frame 17 grab really is just an awful thing.

Routa

Smash Lord
I think the thing that keeps Wario not getting in top 10 is his bad MUs against characters like Marth and Ike. Also Wario does have results for being top tier, but the theory part is still kinda lacking.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Figured I'd weigh in on my current opinion of :rosalina:'s matchups with perceived high/top tiers. I'm very interested in learning about others' experienced, alternate points of view, considering I recently breached a performance plateau.

Disadvantage:
:4metaknight: :4wario::4sheik:

Even-ish:
:4diddy:

Advantage:
:4fox: :4sonic: :4yoshi::4mario::4luigi::4ness:

??:
:4zss: (leaning slight disadvantage)
:4pikachu:(leaning slight disadvantage)

Wario and Mario get noticeably harder with customs.
Diddy, Pikachu, Fox, and Yoshi get noticeably easier with customs.

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
So, in other words your option is right and mine is wrong. Okay, I guess that makes things easier. Thanks broseph.
Na it's not a matter of me being right or wrong. I just feel as though you should back your opinion eith more than results results results. A perfect example would be eatly on when people pointed to Tobin and Zelda and claimed they were good because of results by nairo. Overlooking the character flaws and just blindy saying results.

@ DanGR DanGR what do you think of the marth vs rosa mu

warionumbah2

Smash Master
You'd think it'd be MK mains saying he's top 5. He's top 15 imo if you think he's top 10 or 5 you must know some good **** about this character and his MUs.

Forgot to do this MU table thing my bad.

+3
:4littlemac::4jigglypuff::4samus::4drmario:
+2
:rosalina::4dedede::4palutena::4lucas::4duckhunt::4bowser::4mewtwo:
+1
:4bowserjr::4falco::4kirby::4ganondorf::4gaw::4megaman::4ness::4link::4lucina::4mario::4darkpit::4villager::4shulk::4robinm::4zelda::4feroy::4charizard::4olimar:
+0
:4pikachu::4luigi::4wario2::4diddy::4pit::4marth::4myfriends::4rob::4lucario::4peach:
:4falcon::4sonic::4sheik::4fox::4yoshi::4greninja:(?)
:4zss:

:4dk::4tlink::4wiifit::4ryu::4pacman::4miisword::4miibrawl::4miigun:???????

Last edited:

Cassio

Smash Master
Yeah I don't see ZSS or Diddy as solo main viable. They need the right kind of bracket, kind of like falco in brawl. Rosa fits there too. Actually the game relies a lot on bracket luck anyways so it's not the worst thing, and having strong MUs otherwise is pretty good. The other three might legit not have bad MUs, or anything outside a soft -1.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Toon Link is a ghost sir. Sorry for the feeling bad :(
I doubt most people have played a Toon Link before, let alone tournament level competent ones (or can share their views/thoughts on it)

He has a long list of tools in a game we truly know very little of holistically.
@Zan- maybe would be happy to share thoughts/ideas (can't wait to read the facebook post about the result of this tag <3).
TL at a top level play is confusing. You struggle with him because you overthink how to beat him: just shield! If you respect him too much you give him the room to get his bomb/boomerang/utilt followups but he just has no pressure or true grab answer to shield as long as you aren't holding shield for 5 years. I feel he just ends up being on the dead average/slightly above average type of character. He has so many laggy moves and his projectiles lose to alot of moves since they don't have too great priority, and once again if you let TL get his bombs off aka don't hold shield and give him too much respect he just follows up off it really well.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
I'm not the Zero Suit in question; I certainly couldn't play ZSS to save my life. I do, however, routinely see Lux, who is locally one of our strongest players, be put on the ropes by a local Sonic a lot worse in general at the game than him who just figured out the MU. ZSS has relatively few safe options, none of which are practical if the Sonic refuses her the spacing she wants and further doesn't let her jump uncontested. It gets even worse in that Sonic has the general fastest long-range punishes OoS (because of his mobility and good dash attack) so less is safe against him than normal, and it's not like ZSS can grab so if Sonic goes for shield too much there's basically no consequence... Hammer Spin Dash kinda laughs at Paralyzer too (punishes on reaction with 20+ damage); ZSS can't really use her projectile to force a better situation in this MU even if Sonic is just hanging back, and that just further poops on her neutral (I haven't seen the laser neutral for ZSS tried; it might do a little better?). She can win by just guessing right, but you can only guess right significantly more than half the time if you're way better than your opponent which isn't promising. That's at least what our local meta has shown; I'm really unsure of what safe button she can hit in neutral if Sonic is standing right outside of her ftilt range and is watching to use his mobility to exploit any attempt she makes to change that spacing. If she has one, we haven't found it.

To be clear, I'm also in the "ZSS is really overrated in general" camp. I just don't have the faith in the character that everyone else seems to have; frame 17 grab really is just an awful thing.
As long as players like Nairo can consistently land grabs on players like ZeRo, I don't see a reason why she shouldn't be solo viable. I was in the "she is overrated" camp for a long time but I slowly start to believe that she indeed is solo viable. You could argue that her grab is the big thing that holds her back from being great, I argue her grab is the big thing that keeps her from being broken.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
@ DanGR DanGR what do you think of the marth vs rosa mu
I've got a few points I want to note about Marcina vs Rosa.

Rosa's dash attack's burst range does a fantastic job at breaking through some of Marcina's zoning capabilities. It's a very underrated tool in general- it's especially good in these matchups.

I think a lot of people overrate the ease at which Marcina can get that first hit on Luma in neutral while not getting punished by Rosalina. They certainly have an easier time doing this than most. However, even with Luma gone (assuming Rosalina is grounded and simply lost Luma via some poking/zoning option while not in a disadvantaged state) I think Rosalina has an easier time stalling out Luma's re-entrance against Marth/Lucina than against many other characters. The reward for removing Luma in neutral just isn't there as much as it is with a character like Fox or Falcon who can stick more closely to the ground and punish run-away options with frame tight accuracy.

Marth's tippers seem to make him way better at the matchup than Lucina- moreso than against the rest of the cast, I imagine. They get rid of Luma more easily, and you're forced to respect fsmash potentially killing you at 50% at all times, which can be difficult when you're trying to land. Lucina doesn't have that same fear factor at all. I think Rosalina probably beats Lucina at least slightly, and probably loses to a well played Marth slightly. The difference between the two might be a bit closer/further. This is just in my experience. Currently I don't think Marth is too bad a matchup. As far as swordies go, I've always been more scared of a good MK, even before LEO came along and showed us how it's done.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
TL at a top level play is confusing. You struggle with him because you overthink how to beat him: just shield! If you respect him too much you give him the room to get his bomb/boomerang/utilt followups but he just has no pressure or true grab answer to shield as long as you aren't holding shield for 5 years. I feel he just ends up being on the dead average/slightly above average type of character. He has so many laggy moves and his projectiles lose to alot of moves since they don't have too great priority, and once again if you let TL get his bombs off aka don't hold shield and give him too much respect he just follows up off it really well.
What about his high tier match ups? Or is he just generally under par against them all?

Cassio

Smash Master
As long as players like Nairo can consistently land grabs on players like ZeRo, I don't see a reason why she shouldn't be solo viable. I was in the "she is overrated" camp for a long time but I slowly start to believe that she indeed is solo viable. You could argue that her grab is the big thing that holds her back from being great, I argue her grab is the big thing that keeps her from being broken.
ZSS won't have issues with the sheiks and diddys. It'll be the pikas, olimars, MKs, and foxs. If the latter two aren't considered difficult MUs already I strongly suspect they will be soon (MK especially fits the archetype).

Btw who is MK supposed to struggle against? Or mario?

SpottedCerberus

Smash Journeyman
ZSS won't have issues with the sheiks and diddys. It'll be the pikas, olimars, MKs, and foxs. If the latter two aren't considered difficult MUs already I strongly suspect they will be soon (MK especially fits the archetype).

MK struggles against ZSS, actually....

I don't think Mario has any MUs worse than -1. That's his whole appeal. Maybe Sheik? I'm not too familiar with that one.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Since everyone is doing this with their mains, I guess I'll Do it with the "Top 15" on this threread

(I'm assuming -1 means 45:55, and vice versa for +1)
-3::4yoshi:
-2::4sonic::4pikachu:
-1::4luigi::4mario::4metaknight::4rob:
0::4sheik::4ness::4diddy::rosalina:
+1::4fox::4olimar:
+2::4falcon::4zss:

I don't know anything about the Ness, Diddy, and Rob matchups, so I guessed. I know some of it in general, so I can base a predictation, but i never copied it down somewhere. Rosalina might be +1, but I wasn't sure. Even sounded more reasonable anyway.

Don't complain about bias either, I have Kirby much lower and Greninja way higher. Plus some other changes but that doesn't matter

Cassio

Smash Master
Two weeks ago MK "struggled" against a lot of characters. I was looking for a response but also reasons in light of MKs new reality (the assumption there being that he is a top tier character)

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Two weeks ago MK "struggled" against a lot of characters.
This is news to me.

Customs he struggles against alot of characters, everyone in that meta gets better while he stays the same. Tyrant further support this claim since the people he lost against were using characters that benefits heavily in customs(Mii brawler and Pikachu).

Last edited:

RayNoire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RayNoire
Mewtwo versus the top:

0: :rosalina::4ness:
-1: :4zss::4sonic::4diddy::4falcon:
-2: :4sheik::4luigi::4pikachu::4yoshi:
-3: :4mario::4fox:

...It's a touch unpleasant. We might beat Rosalina actually, but I'm not comfortable enough in that one to say for sure.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever

I can only talk out of my ass regarding Fox and Olimar, but what exactly has Pikachu over ZSS aside from "missed me again lol"? We can outspace MK pretty well. Pikachu at least has nSpecial to make us do something.

Cassio

Smash Master
"missed me again" strongly underplays one of the main reasons Pika AND MK perform strongly against the rest of the cast. And we aren't exactly seeing MK being shut down by other powerful spacing characters and that's one of the biggest reasons why. What exactly does ZSS space with against a character shorter then pika and stronger burst movement/options?

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Yeah I don't see ZSS or Diddy as solo main viable. They need the right kind of bracket, kind of like falco in brawl. Rosa fits there too. Actually the game relies a lot on bracket luck anyways so it's not the worst thing, and having strong MUs otherwise is pretty good. The other three might legit not have bad MUs, or anything outside a soft -1.
Neither of these characters really suck in any matchup though. I'm not sure ZSS completely bodies MK like the MK boards say (I'd like to see it played out) but it's definitely not good for MK by any means. What makes ZSS struggle against Olimar, Pikachu and Fox? Is there any other character keeping her from being solo-main viable?

Who (aside from Sheik) does Diddy struggle against to the point where a secondary would be recommended?

RE: MK's matchups, I think he's disadvantaged against Sonic and ZSS in particular.

D

Deleted member

What about his high tier match ups? Or is he just generally under par against them all?
He does alright in top tier matchups but theres no real matchups I feel he has a clear advantage in. His best top tier matchup is probably ness and I feel he can also do well vs Fox and Pikachu. Diddy MU is pretty much the same since his strengths in the matchup were speed, pressure, and stage control, none of which got nerfed. Sheik and Luigi are abysmal. Sonic and Yoshi can be hard. ZSS and Mario can be a nightmare. He goes even or so with MK and Olimar since theyre on the rise. His MUs aren't too bad in the top tiers but aren't impressive.
Then you get to mid tier and obscure matchups were he can also struggle/lose. For one, Marth/Duck Hunt/Samus can give TL trouble randomly and then he can randomly body the likes of GW and Kirby. Super inconsistent MUs

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
"missed me again" strongly underplays one of the main reasons Pika AND MK perform strongly against the rest of the cast. And we aren't exactly seeing MK being shut down by other powerful spacing characters and that's one of the biggest reasons why. What exactly does ZSS space with against a character shorter then pika and stronger burst movement/options?
bAir and zAir. nAir maybe as well, which leads into super early kills on such light characters.

Cassio

Smash Master
bAir and zAir. nAir maybe as well, which leads into super early kills on such light characters.
Punishing aerials that can only hit you when they're falling is the bread and butter of short characters in such MUs. Literally just wait for the opponent to jump, then run under them and hit them. Combating low grounded characters in neutral takes a fairly specific set of tools.
Who (aside from Sheik) does Diddy struggle against to the point where a secondary would be recommended?
Going off cues from zero, but it seems the mario bros are difficult for diddy . Late edit, but MK too

Last edited:

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I've got a few points I want to note about Marcina vs Rosa.

Rosa's dash attack's burst range does a fantastic job at breaking through some of Marcina's zoning capabilities. It's a very underrated tool in general- it's especially good in these matchups.

I think a lot of people overrate the ease at which Marcina can get that first hit on Luma in neutral while not getting punished by Rosalina. They certainly have an easier time doing this than most. However, even with Luma gone (assuming Rosalina is grounded and simply lost Luma via some poking/zoning option while not in a disadvantaged state) I think Rosalina has an easier time stalling out Luma's re-entrance against Marth/Lucina than against many other characters. The reward for removing Luma in neutral just isn't there as much as it is with a character like Fox or Falcon who can stick more closely to the ground and punish run-away options with frame tight accuracy.

Marth's tippers seem to make him way better at the matchup than Lucina- moreso than against the rest of the cast, I imagine. They get rid of Luma more easily, and you're forced to respect fsmash potentially killing you at 50% at all times, which can be difficult when you're trying to land. Lucina doesn't have that same fear factor at all. I think Rosalina probably beats Lucina at least slightly, and probably loses to a well played Marth slightly. The difference between the two might be a bit closer/further. This is just in my experience. Currently I don't think Marth is too bad a matchup. As far as swordies go, I've always been more scared of a good MK, even before LEO came along and showed us how it's done.
Yeah I've been afraid of the MK mu for a while but there's very few MK players. So that's a pretty easy bracket dodge.

Also once Luma is gone I feel like I completely lose what little advantage I had. The range advantage is no longer there and Marth can just play his game. Tipper fsmash is like the bane of my existence and also dancing blade is a pretty solid kill option. I don't think Lucina is aa bad w.o. the tipper either. I just think fair is very similar to Sheik's and gives me problems in the same manner.

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Might as well give my personal input on the MU against the top 15 for Mario

+1: :4rob::4olimar::4falcon:
+0: :4fox::4diddy::4zss::4pikachu:
-1: :4sheik: :rosalina::4ness::4yoshi::4luigi::4sonic::4metaknight:

Mario in general has no +2 or -2 matchups. Maybe a +2 against King Dedede or something, but idk. Sheik is not too bad if you don't go Smashville on her.

TriTails

Smash Lord
He does alright in top tier matchups but theres no real matchups I feel he has a clear advantage in. His best top tier matchup is probably ness and I feel he can also do well vs Fox and Pikachu. Diddy MU is pretty much the same since his strengths in the matchup were speed, pressure, and stage control, none of which got nerfed. Sheik and Luigi are abysmal. Sonic and Yoshi can be hard. ZSS and Mario can be a nightmare. He goes even or so with MK and Olimar since theyre on the rise. His MUs aren't too bad in the top tiers but aren't impressive.
Then you get to mid tier and obscure matchups were he can also struggle/lose. For one, Marth/Duck Hunt/Samus can give TL trouble randomly and then he can randomly body the likes of GW and Kirby. Super inconsistent MUs
This is a question I've been meaning to ask in detail. But can you elaborate why TL vs Luigi is awful for TL? Twitter is unfortunately bad for discussing MUs sadly.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Punishing aerials that can only hit you when they're falling is the bread and butter of short characters in such MUs. Literally just wait for the opponent to jump, then run under them and hit them. Combating low grounded characters in neutral takes a fairly specific set of tools.
Yeah, her not having any hitboxes while rising is one of her biggest weaknesses. She doesn't need to be the aggressor in the MK MU at least though. I hope with the recent MK hype we'll get some footage in the near future.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Wait, why wouldn't ZSS of all characters not be solo-viable? You have to purposefully ignore the fact that about 5 different players contribute towards her having the second best tournament results, worldwide, to get to this abstruse conclusion. The only thing that 'holds' ZSS 'back' is the plain fact that Sheik is a better character than her.
With that said I disagree almost entirely with the top 5 list of @ Shaya Shaya ... while an arument based on tournament results can be made that MK should be ranked very highly, calling him top 5 is a bit premature still. And Mario as top 5 ... I don't think I can take that one serious. What do you base that on?

Fox - with buffs he received in the patch - is top 5, if not top 3 now. Contrary to what a lot of people believe his jab has not been nerfed but buffed. The infinite never truly mattered - OK, so Shulk can actually beat Fox now but does it realy matter? Having a jab that actually connects reliably until the final hit is worth more overall than some very situational gimmick. Crucially, Fox not only kept his other followups from jab 2 but there's a possibility that jab -> jab -> usmash works on most or all characters now.
Buffed laser is also crucial as it has the potential to even up one of Fox' hardest matchups - Luigi. Nerfed fireballs + faster lasers = Fox might be able to legitimately outcamp Luigi now. If Fox players continue to go even with Sheik and the Pikachus continue to not beat Fox in tournament then it's basically just Rosalina that 'hold' Fox 'back' - and that matchups is a plain -1, nothing more. After this patch Fox should definitely be on peoples' radars for top 3, or top 5 at least.

:059:

TriTails

Smash Lord
Luigi in the first place NEVER cared for Fox's lasers to begin with. He can just crawl under them and there's nothing you can really do unless you're being too tryhard with it.

Luigi still beats Fox solidly.

Ikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smooth_Moonman
gonna reform my top 8 here

Based on results and general knowledge of x and y character, my top 8 in the current meta lie at

:rosalina:
(:4pikachu:/:4zss:)
(:4zss:/:4pikachu:)
:4diddy:
:4wario2:
:4metaknight:
:4ness:

I couldnt decide which would be above Wario between Pikachu and ZSS so i made them interchangeable (having an incredibly difficult time deciding which one I think is the better of the two)

Meta knight is clearly a top threat, the only reason Ness is at the bottom of this top 8 is because he struggles with a few of these top 8.

Wario has gotten results with abadango and (to a lesser extent) Jeepysol, ZSS with Nairo, Pikachu with Esam/IIRC Nakat put some work into Pika as well, Ness with Shaky, Nakat, and Fow, Meta Knight with Ito and Tyrant, Rosalina with Dabuz and (to a much lesser extent) AceStarThe3rd, Diddy with ZeRo and Jtails, and Sheik with ZeRo and Mr. R.

is this a cozy top 8? I'm willing to put my own judgements away a little bit and put Wario at the lower end, but there's honestly no excuse for him not to be at least top 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom