• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Zoning seems an invalid archetype with top tier rushdown characters getting all the results. The highest tier zoning character by broken design :rosalina: struggles with :4sheik: and :4zss: in the modern top player meta. God bless :4dedede:, :4marth:, and I would say :4palutena: and :4mewtwo: but idkwtf those characters are supposed to be. What does it take to improve the overall viability of the zoning character in this metagame?
They'd do better with a combination of faster attacks, and more range in their physical attacks.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
Mario takes out Luma more easily than Doc.

Doc's only real advantage in this MU is his reward on hit, but Rosalina has the advantage vs Mario due to stage control and superior vertical camping, both of which are stretched further if you're facing it as Doc.

Guys, it was one set. Stop over-hyping Doc.
I don't see it.
Doc has his Tornado, BackThrow & Fair/Bair at his disposal. Hell, as the match starts, you can just go to Rosa, use Tornado, and Luma will be gone if you're not like, center stage, that's how powerful it is. You might get punished but that's not as big as taking off what makes Rosalina good. Then, it's just a matter of not letting Rosa stall you, which i admit is a bit stage dependant, and Mario will indeed have a easier time striking a " weakened " Rosalina.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
I'm not ready to say Doc isn't more than low-mid tier just yet. Maybe it's me, but I noticed many instances of Esam questionably trying to attack Doc's shield from the air every time he landed, despite Nairo shielding it all the time.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I don't think Doc is solo viable. I never did. I think he's an underrated character, in that he can do stuff and he has decent matchups which people don't consider in top-level play, but I don't think he's anything higher than mid-tier.

Nairo didn't magically make Doc a good character, but he did demonstrate what the good Doc is capable of in the hands of a skilled player. I think that's more important than instant validation of Doc's viability: he's proven that a good player can make the most of a weak kit. It's difficult and probably not a viable option in itself, but it can be done. That is very exciting.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
Even through i've been arguing on Dr.Mario's niche in the metagame, here are my thoughts:
w/out buffs he can't hope for more than Mid tier at best.
I mean, he requires a lot more support than a **** ton of character to be played & brought in tournaments, he struggles in a lot of matchups, & some are getting more common ( See:Ike ) , but he holds a nice niche as he can beat a decent amount of characters above him, coupled with the lack of experience by players, it makes him a good CPick character.
Nothing more, Nothing less.
+ What Nairo did is just bring the character in top level play & made something out of it. He just made Dr.Mario's niche/utility more clear for a vast majority of people. Even if he's going to bump a little bit as he was quite underrated previously, it's more helpful than something else, it just demonstrated points that people could have been doubtful months ago, it doesn't make Doc any better.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
stuff...It might have low base KB, but it also has high hitstun on opponents....other stuff
If something doesn't do much knockback in a particular instance, it does very little hitsun. End of story. I don't care if it does 999%, it makes no difference. Please no baseless claims.

I'm not ready to say Doc isn't more than low-mid tier just yet. Maybe it's me, but I noticed many instances of Esam questionably trying to attack Doc's shield from the air every time he landed, despite Nairo shielding it all the time.
That's actually a solid gameplan with Pikachu's Fair thanks to the new hitlag on shield changes (which also affected electric modifiers). Well... assuming you stayed out of shield grab range, which Esam didn't do.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
its not :4drmario: kit thats weak. that kit would be insta-broken on any character with decent mobility. his problems lie in he fact he just let himself go.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
All Nairo did was reinforce the idea of :4drmario: as a good or at least decent secondary character to invest into if you really wanna play him (Solo main Doc is like, nah. Don't do that please. I've played this character for a year, just don't do itttt, there's a reason he is also my secondary). Anyone going a little overboard I admit is really irritating but I can't say I expected anything else, it was a pretty turbulent victory and a really decisive one with a character most people quite honestly underrated even if he's not that great when he's NOT underrated. I do think it's going to spark interest in development of this character though, and that could lead to interesting things! I'd wager at the very least it's gonna inspire a few people to try him, and those who already played him to be inspired as well.

Which in it of itself is an improvement for most people's opinions on this character pre-MLG, mind you. Not most people in this thread but the general public, really.

On a side note this is probably the longest outstanding Dr. Mario discussion in this thread so far. I'm not biased or anything when I say "I like dis"

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
All Nairo did was reinforce the idea of :4drmario: as a good or at least decent secondary character to invest into if you really wanna play him (Solo main Doc is like, nah. Don't do that please. I've played this character for a year, just don't do itttt, there's a reason he is also my secondary). Anyone going a little overboard I admit is really irritating but I can't say I expected anything else, it was a pretty turbulent victory and a really decisive one with a character most people quite honestly underrated even if he's not that great when he's NOT underrated. I do think it's going to spark interest in development of this character though, and that could lead to interesting things! I'd wager at the very least it's gonna inspire a few people to try him, and those who already played him to be inspired as well.

Which in it of itself is an improvement for most people's opinions on this character pre-MLG, mind you. Not most people in this thread but the general public, really.

On a side note this is probably the longest outstanding Dr. Mario discussion in this thread so far. I'm not biased or anything when I say "I like dis"
It seems if we were to ask some Japanese players their opinions of Mewtwo we'd get much the same answer. A character with good tools held back from solo viability by serious issues (Mewtwo's lack of weight and difficulty dealing with rushdown once they're in, Doc's lack of mobility and poor recovery), but can be a potent secondary/counterpick thanks to said tools.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Oh my god can people stop citing Doc's "poor recovery" as one of his big problems?

I swear all of you, there's something called Tornado stalling. Stalling outside of edgeguard range BEFORE drifting to the stage with jump, airdodge, etc. Doc at a high level simply doesn't get gimped any more than basically anyone else. You'll either die to bad DI or hard reads or characters that just generally dominate a lot of people offstage, like anyone else.

If people want to talk about reasons why Doc has problems competitively, can we PLEASE talk about Doc's very bad landing options? THAT actually matters competitively. His "bad" recovery doesn't.

Last edited:

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
Shifting gears from the Doc hype, is this the first time where a Megaman placed in the top 8 in a regional/national?

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Even with tornado stalling Doc's recovery is still bottom 3-5. Nairo's results don't change the fact that it's really bad, and it is one of his biggest problems.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Even with tornado stalling Doc's recovery is still bottom 3-5. Nairo's results don't change the fact that it's really bad, and it is one of his biggest problems.
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Doc's recovery is better than the following characters:
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Ganon
Mac
Robin
Falcon
Ness
Gunner
Palutena
Link
Toon Link
Shulk
Roy
Olimar
Duck Hunt

It's not even close to being one of the worst recoveries in the game. It's about average.

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I never watched no set before where a Doc kicked ass, but I've had a feeling that there's potential in him for those able to overcome his downsides.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Bowser
Donkey Kong
Ganon
Mac
Robin
Falcon
Ness
Gunner
Palutena
Link
Toon Link
Shulk
Roy
Olimar
Duck Hunt

It's not even close to being one of the worst recoveries in the game. It's about average.
Better than Palutena's? As in all 3 of her recoveries?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Bowser
Donkey Kong
Ganon
Mac
Robin
Falcon
Ness
Gunner
Palutena
Link
Toon Link
Shulk
Roy
Olimar
Duck Hunt

16th worst out of 55 characters isn't really average. That's noticeably below average. Right around the bottom 3rd border.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Better than Palutena's? As in all 3 of her recoveries?
Default Palutena's recovery. It's so vulnerable to ledge pressure it's not funny and she doesn't have much else to really defend herself in the air aside from her very laggy Counter.

16th worst out of 55 characters isn't really average. That's noticeably below average. Right around the bottom 3rd border.
Let's put it this way, there's approximately 20ish average recoveries in this game. Doc's is among those.

There's few outright bad recoveries. The ones I listed are basically the definitely weak and should be punished recoveries in this game.

Last edited:

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
No way Doc has a better recovery than Palutena. She has a teleporting recovery! The only way to beat that is a near frame perfect D-smash. Olimar also has a better one, even though he's vulnerable. He ccould fly under the stage for protection.

Honestly, Doc has a bad recovery. When I'm playing Rosalina, all I have to do is wait for Doc to approach up-b range (he'll have burned his DJ and nado by then) and drop down and Dair. Done. He's dead.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Bowser
Donkey Kong
Ganon
Mac
Robin
Falcon
Ness
Gunner
Palutena
Link
Toon Link
Shulk
Roy
Olimar
Duck Hunt

LOL @ Doc's recovery being better than Link's and Toon Link's.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Bowser
Donkey Kong
Ganon
Mac
Robin
Falcon
Ness
Gunner
Palutena
Link
Toon Link
Shulk
Roy
Olimar
Duck Hunt

Nairo's result showed that Doc has tools to compensate for his bad recovery, not that Doc's recovery is good. It isn't average either. It's bad. Almost every character you listed has a better recovery than Doc. I'm not gonna go through and list them all because there are so many, but anyone can look at Doc's recovery and realize it is bottom 5. There's no way it isn't bad. I expected this tournament to change people's opinions of Doc's tier placement but not his recovery ranking...

Last edited:

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
Is there anywhere where I can find footage of the top 8 matches? I missed a few and I can't find footage anywhere.
don't worry I am actually posting something relevant

Since we're on the topic of recovery I'm just curious, what is the fastest aerial in the game in terms of total frames*? The ability to throw out hitboxes without killing yourself when recovering is a big deal.

*barring lemons from Megaman.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Link and TL can't really do much offstage until they reach tether range which isn't even guaranteed to be safe against lingering hitboxes that can cover low recoveries simultaneously. Outside of that, they have very little mixup, and their Up-Bs are bad against edgeguards.

Nairo's result showed that Doc has tools to get around his bad recovery, not that Doc's recovery is good. It isn't average either. It's bad. Almost every character you listed has a better recovery than Doc. I'm not gonna go through and list them all because there are so many, but anyone can look at Doc's recovery and realize it is bottom 5. There's no way it isn't bad. I expected this tournament to change people's opinions of Doc's tier placement but not his recovery ranking...
You're delusional if you think Doc's recovery is bad.

I'm factoring that good players DI and know how to react to positioning.

The fact of the matter is Doc has more tools than those characters to avoid edgeguards. Which is what ACTUALLY matters for recovering safely. Doc's Up-B isn't vulnerable to most ledge pressure due to its good hitbox, and the ability to Tornado stall outside of edgeguard attempts factoring good DI means Doc basically should never get directly edgeguarded when he gives himself space to recover high.

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Default Palutena's recovery. It's so vulnerable to ledge pressure it's not funny and she doesn't have much else to really defend herself in the air aside from her very laggy Counter.

Let's put it this way, there's approximately 20ish average recoveries in this game. Doc's is among those.

There's few outright bad recoveries.
Can't arbitrarily decide how many classify as "average". There are 55 recoveries not including customs. 26th/27th is average. You can go up and down the scale from there.

Dr.Mario is around the bottom 3rd border when it comes to recoveries. That is quite noticeably below average.

Please (people in general) stop overhyping the character because of one set. People seem to forget that the vast majority of characters can serve as counter pick characters at least as a minimum. Its not anything special. It doesn't even mean a character is mid tier.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Can't arbitrarily decide how many classify as "average". There are 55 recoveries not including customs. 26th/27th is average. You can go up and down the scale from there.

Dr.Mario is around the bottom 3rd border when it comes to recoveries. That is quite noticeably below average.

Please (people in general) stop overhyping the character because of one set. People seem to forget that the vast majority of characters can serve as counter pick characters at least as a minimum. Its not anything special. It doesn't even mean a character is mid tier.
Actually it is very simple to make that generalization. Don't you know how tier groupings work?

It's the same **** here. There's basically three recovery tiers in this game. Stupid good, average, and mediocre. The average tier is the largest, and Doc is in that. The difference between how effective those recoveries are from each other as a whole is small enough that they mostly fall close to a mean value. Meaning even if Doc is on the lower end of "average" he's still much closer to the mean effectiveness than characters in the other recovery tiers.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Link and TL can't really do much offstage until they reach tether range which isn't even guaranteed to be safe against lingering hitboxes that can cover low recoveries simultaneously. Outside of that, they have very little mixup, and their Up-Bs are bad against edgeguards.

You're delusional if you think Doc's recovery is bad.

I'm factoring that good players DI and know how to react to positioning.

The fact of the matter is Doc has more tools than those characters to avoid edgeguards. Which is what ACTUALLY matters for recovering safely. Doc's Up-B isn't vulnerable to most ledge pressure due to its good hitbox, and the ability to Tornado stall outside of edgeguard attempts factoring good DI means Doc basically should never get directly edgeguarded when he gives himself space to recover high.
You really need to stop playing bad Link and Toon Link players who don't know how to use bombs and boomerang off stage.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Is there anywhere where I can find footage of the top 8 matches? I missed a few and I can't find footage anywhere.
don't worry I am actually posting something relevant

Since we're on the topic of recovery I'm just curious, what is the fastest aerial in the game in terms of total frames? The ability to throw out hitboxes without killing yourself when recovering is a big deal.
Think it's Little Mac's nair though only when cancelling into itself. Otherwise a lot of uairs are very similar in frame data. Fastest fair I think is Luigi's.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You really need to stop playing bad Link and Toon Link players who don't know how to use bombs and boomerang off stage.
The boomerang can still lose to many lingering hitboxes. Bombs sometimes can save you from light gimps, but that's not as helpful against offstage KO moves.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm at a loss for words right now.
I play Doc in tournament and FRANKLY if people in the SoCal PR aren't gimping my Doc in tournament, are we supposed to conclude that SoCal, one of the most stacked regions in the USA, is bad?

Personally me, I think it's much more realistic to suggest that Doc's recovery in fact is not a relevant weakness competitively.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Bowser
Donkey Kong
Ganon
Mac
Robin
Falcon
Ness
Gunner
Palutena
Link
Toon Link
Shulk
Roy
Olimar
Duck Hunt

Better then Palutena, I find rather hard to swallow, but I'm not exactly an expert on her either. But better then the Links? Is that without the tethers and the projectiles or am I missing something obvious?

And honestly, Doc seems more on-par with these characters then actually better then. Better then Mac, Robin, Duck Hunt and Olimar for sure. But being strictly better then the rest of 'em? That doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Better then Palutena, I find rather hard to swallow, but I'm not exactly an expert on her either. But better then the Links? Is that without the tethers and the projectiles or am I missing something obvious?

And honestly, Doc seems more on-par with these characters then actually better then. Better then Mac, Robin, Duck Hunt and Olimar for sure. But being strictly better then the rest of 'em? That's hard to believe.
Tornado stalling is a better momentum mixup than virtually anything else these characters has, and factoring good DI, makes Doc extremely hard to pressure when he has space to drift from high to low, which is the MOST COMMON WAY YOU RECOVER COMPETITIVELY.

Palutena is the main tossup, but her default Up-B with no hitbox is really vulnerable to ledge pressure, and her aerials are not good for defending herself in the air. Doc is really safe at reaching the ledge when he's in Up-B range, much safer than the other characters listed generally speaking. Add the easier high to low drifting due to Tornado stalling allowing baits in the air, Doc's recovery is noticeably better.

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Dont know about link, but toon links recovery is definetly worse than docs imo since its much slower and doesnt sweetspot the ledge sometimes.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Olimar is the craziest character on that list. With side b to cover himself, stalling, and the ability to go under the stage if he has to (not to mention actually being able to recover from the blast zone reliably), it's much better than Doc's.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Olimar is the craziest character on that list. With side b to cover himself, stalling, and the ability to go under the stage if he has to (not to mention actually being able to recover from the blast zone reliably), it's much better than Doc's.
His Up-B doesn't travel very fast either. You don't need to guess to keep Olimar away from the ledge.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
His Up-B doesn't travel very fast either. You don't need to guess to keep Olimar away from the ledge.
It travels fast if the Olimar throws all of his Pikmin, which usually the player will. His disjointed fair and bair help, he can recover from anywhere, and most of the time Olimar players will have a purple pikmin to throw.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I play Doc in tournament and FRANKLY if people in the SoCal PR aren't gimping my Doc in tournament, are we supposed to conclude that SoCal, one of the most stacked regions in the USA, is bad?
Its simple: almost nobody goes for gimps in this game. Everybody too afraid and would rather just stay on the stage or go for a ledge trump.

Once that changes, so will Doc's recovery rate.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Tornado stalling is a better momentum mixup than virtually anything else these characters has, and factoring good DI, makes Doc extremely hard to pressure when he has space to drift from high to low, which is the MOST COMMON WAY YOU RECOVER COMPETITIVELY.

Palutena is the main tossup, but her default Up-B with no hitbox is really vulnerable to ledge pressure, and her aerials are not good for defending herself in the air. Doc is really safe at reaching the ledge when he's in Up-B range, much safer than the other characters listed generally speaking. Add the easier high to low drifting due to Tornado stalling allowing baits in the air, Doc's recovery is noticeably better.
If Palutena's recovery is bad purely due to ledge pressure doesn't that mean Zelda and Mewtwo's recoveries are also bad?

I think a lot of people don't know Olimar can also attack out of up b...

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Dont know about link, but toon links recovery is definetly worse than docs imo since its much slower and doesnt sweetspot the ledge sometimes.
What do you mean by Toon Link's being slower? On Kurogane Hammer both recoveries are listed as coming out on frame 8. :/

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It travels fast if the Olimar throws all of his Pikmin, which usually the player will. His disjointed fair and bair help, he can recover from anywhere, and most of the time Olimar players will have a purple pikmin to throw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYriw8ufHbI&t=2m08s
That's fast?

Nairo literally had enough time to flip jump edgeguard that, lol.

Its simple: almost nobody goes for gimps in this game. Everybody too afraid and would rather just stay on the stage or go for a ledge trump.

Once that changes, so will Doc's recovery rate.
So all the times I've survived against sonicmega's Mega Man going offstage a million times to gimp me and not succeeding magically don't count?

People really do try to gimp me. Doesn't work that way if the Doc simply just does standard nonsense and conserves options correctly.

If Palutena's recovery is bad purely due to ledge pressure doesn't that mean Zelda and Mewtwo's recoveries are also bad?

I think a lot of people don't know Olimar can also attack out of up b...
Zelda can recover horizontally and have the hitbox on her Up-B out before she snaps to the ledge. Makes a very huge difference.

Mewtwo has Shadow Ball and Confusion and better airspeed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom