• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
@Vipermoon64, for what it's worth, I think Marth goes even with or has a slight advantage against Pit. It's fun to try and bait an opponent that can capitalise on mid-range being your optimal distance, plus he's floaty so combos are a wee bit more difficult to connect. I used to go in for this matchup near-daily pre-Roy (when the player switched to the red-haired ruffian instead), it really can just come down to a game of "My Disjoint Is Bigger Than Your Disjoint".

I think Pit wins over Roy, but again, it's a relatively small advantage. I used to be convinced it was hell for Pit, but my current stance is a bit softer. You can bait him much more effectively than Marth, you know he's gonna chase you. I wrote a pretty detailed treatise on the matchup to help another Pit player, if you're interested in my insights.

Short answer: I'd rather fight a good Roy than a good Marth any day. Tip ain't no joke.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Does fair hit Rosalina when she's crouching? If you want to abuse GP vs Rosalina you need to be at mid range with your projectile and you need to be able to keep your mobility mewtwo is incapable of that.

I will however point out that nair vs Rosalina's recovery is a pretty good option. Also iggy and mew squared pmayed the mu and it looks ridiculously bad for mewtwo.
I can't say that they're wrong, but one thing might be that Mewtwo has to play the matchup incredibly differently compared to what he normally tries to do. If you try to space with tilts, jab into grab, or even just go for grabs in general, Luma is probably going to wreck you. From what I can tell, Mewtwo's main game plan should actually be targeting Luma first and foremost, because it skews the match into his favor once the thing is gone, in ways that might not necessarily apply to other characters.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Feel like DK does a bit better against Yoshi since he has guaranteed kill set ups now.
Yoshi can juggle fatties forever, but he can't kill them till like 180+% for obvious reasons. DK bair Uair and Utilt are pretty good moves to just destroy most of Yoshi's options either airborne or on the ground, they all are pretty meaty hitboxes to beat out Yoshi's small hitboxes in the air and pretty fast compared to our >fair bair dair

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I If a dedicated Roy player comes across a dedicated Marth player in brackets at a tough regional or national, chances are neither of them really will have focused on, or experienced, that MU, because why would they? You lab out the MUs that matter.

No Roy or Marcina main is going to put any amount of priority on the FE MU. You aren't going to have to battle through 8 Lucinas in pools..
Yoooo, just letting you know but swordsmen fetishists are widespread (Marth mains are forever), and it's the most coveted title in any level of the scene (local, regional, national, and at least in the West a bit). Perhaps it's been more to do in the past due to his high tier status, you wouldn't necessarily be playing real mains of those characters in tournament, but people who are into swords pride their destruction of opposition with other sword characters. If anything this is the greatest game the long hard steel ... fans could've ever hoped for.
And it's getting TRUER by the PATCH.

The amount of Marth dittos I've played over the course of my history is insane, and I never asked for more than 1% of them. MK dittos in Brawl on Battlefield/SV until the late hours of the morning. Roy dittos in melee until true rage was born from it and salt switch to Marth.

Now you know~

-

Also Roy's nair against crouching FE would be fine enough.... as his best neutral aerial. I do think he loses to at least the Falchions, not sure about Ike, don't think it's a hard counter though..
Also the best thing ever is how much everyone else gets to generally crap over MK this game, kinda poetic justice and justifies how good their swag specs are. While MK doesn't necessarily lose, he does tend to struggle against the the likes of Marth/Pit in footsie/neutral, so as long as you can maintain that advantage well [kill MK first, he's the lightest~] he likely generally has poor swords character match ups too... but I'd probably be interested to hear what MK mains think about them.... if they aren't just hype saps who want to be a Sheik slayer (chivalry is dying).

Anyway to further make this post have any merit:

I'm going to start drafting the new OP/stuff up very soon, so probably within the next few hours unless something bad happens. So about the 'groupings' I was talking about.

Group One: 1-10
Group Two: 11-18
Group Three [unordered]: 19-22
Group Four [the remainders/indecisive]: 14 characters
Group Five [unordered]: 8 characters
Group Six [unordered]: 10 characters

And yes, this is just from asking about top 15/bottom 10, which I think is awesome. :D there was a small gap between the those bottom 10 and those above in frequency but were still in a third or more of results.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I can't say that they're wrong, but one thing might be that Mewtwo has to play the matchup incredibly differently compared to what he normally tries to do. If you try to space with tilts, jab into grab, or even just go for grabs in general, Luma is probably going to wreck you. From what I can tell, Mewtwo's main game plan should actually be targeting Luma first and foremost, because it skews the match into his favor once the thing is gone, in ways that might not necessarily apply to other characters.
People seriously underestimate how strong Rosa is without Luma. I honestly think she's still better than most mid tiers without Luma. She still has tons of moves with huge disjoints and good frame data. Her jab is still good, her smashes are still very strong for how quick and disjointed they are, and her uair and dair are plain broken. It's just that when she has Luma she becomes completely broken design-wise. Seriously do a bair when Luma is synched with Rosa. The combined hitbox is almost Rosa's height vertically and it's pretty quick too.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Honestly i can see a bunch of sword mains think they beat MK because of disjoint range, but here's the thing. Other than Roy(who has an exploitable recovery) all the sword users are floaty.

Marth dies at 20% no rage, Robin dies at 24% no rage, Ike dies at 28% no rage, Pit dies at 21% no rage.

I feel Marth and Ike(what a coincidence) perform the best against MK but those two rarely appear. Marth vs MK comes up once in a blue moon but not at high level(MK has more wins). Every sword character are rare to find we shouldn't care about each other tbh. But we know how FE mains love to argue with one another, MK doesn't mingle with the weak.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
One aspect of Roy that I find to be greatly overrated is nair. People praise that move for being one of the safest aerial approach options in the game and while that may be true I think it's a bit of a misleading argument since the reward of a "safe" [aka tipper] nair is so goddamn pathetic that you never actually have to worry about that move. If you just crouch against a spaced nair you'll only get hit by one swing ... how much damage does that do? 2%? Maybe 3 if it's fresh? And when is that thing actually gonna kill? 300%? 400?

On first look the risk/reward ratio of that move seems to be pretty well balanced ... low risk, low reward. But the reward is actually so low that characters can pull off some pretty risky/unsafe stunts and totally get away with it. Roy can hit you like 10 times with tipper nair and he's still not getting anywhere really. And if only one of those 10 hits happens to be a trade then the whole work could easily have been for nothing.

:059:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
People seriously underestimate how strong Rosa is without Luma. I honestly think she's still better than most mid tiers without Luma. She still has tons of moves with huge disjoints and good frame data. Her jab is still good, her smashes are still very strong for how quick and disjointed they are, and her uair and dair are plain broken. It's just that when she has Luma she becomes completely broken design-wise. Seriously do a bair when Luma is synched with Rosa. The combined hitbox is almost Rosa's height vertically and it's pretty quick too.
Most of Rosa's moves do rather weak damage and knockback without Luma. Uair and dair lose their early kill potential and devolve to just good disjoints. Bair also has considerable endlag so it can't really be spammed.

Thing about Rosa is that compared to other top tiers she lacks some things that let them abuse Mewtwo: namely fantastic frame data or super fast ground speed. She can't consistently keep Mewtwo off-balance the whole game.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Umm how do you go from talking solo rosa to Rosaluma bair? Rosalina is pretty bad without Luma and her range is pretty bad without Luma. Some of actually play the damn character and we're not underrating anything

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
what? no. Wanna know who gets demolished by duck? ZSS. Wanna know who is top tier, ZSS. ducking doesnt make a character go from good to bad.
Swear to god, people saying ZSS loses because ducking beats her are as terrible as people saying TripleD has a good Sheik MU because needles don't reflect Gordos.

Except no.

Grandpa Marth ****s all over Lucina in that department too.
I thought the strike-through made the joke obvious. Guess not.

One large advantage roy has over the other FE characters is that his overall mobility is insane and arguably the best in the game.
I'd probably agree if he had air control. Right now Roy's mobility screams "I'M GOIN' IN", and leaves little for imagination as far as his spacing goes.
Makes sense, really, as it goes in line with where his sweetspot is located.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Double oops

Swear to god, people saying ZSS loses because ducking beats her are as terrible as people saying TripleD has a good Sheik MU because needles don't reflect Gordos.

I thought the strike-through made the joke obvious. Guess not.

I'd probably agree if he had air control. Right now Roy's mobility screams "I'M GOIN' IN", and leaves little for imagination as far as his spacing goes.
Makes sense, really, as it goes in line with where his sweetspot is located.
I meant duck is an annoyance and definitely an inconvenience if played right. Being reckless is a good thing for ducking characters, it's a 50:50 scenario. Get the duck confirm, punish. Or miss the duck confirm, get punished.

Last edited by a moderator:

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
Umm how do you go from talking solo rosa to Rosaluma bair? Rosalina is pretty bad without Luma and her range is pretty bad without Luma. Some of actually play the damn character and we're not underrating anything
The reason why soro is better than half the cast is because she's hardly unplayable and she only has to wait like 14 seconds before she's one of the best characters in the game again.

She is the only character left besides bottom tiers who's stats makes no sense relative to their design. Why should a character who is supposed to be extremely defensive have better kill power than almost all other characters? If they just reworked the kb and growth values of luma's attacks so that they kill in normal situations she wouldn't be so abusive. The kb on luma aerials are straight up dumb.

Last edited:

LightLV

Smash Ace
And people like this guy are the perfect reason why results only is bad. I can tell you some regional results from a guy who attends the sane tournaments as me who has gotten 2nd at a philly tournament top 16 at sunmer jam and won my local with Marth. Then there's the fact that ally has beatrn rayquaza with Marth also. In that video nick riddle used Martg and I believe he won that tournament. False winning 8 on the break and coming 2nd in another tournament with Marth. However, these resukts are only at a local / regional level. So I'm sure you'll change your criteria.

Results only is bad, and then you proceed to explain why it's bad by giving me results?

No sir, that's important information. It's only bad if you don't tell anyone. There are a few Marth's that sneak into top-8 every now and then in my scene as well.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Yoooo, just letting you know but swordsmen fetishists are widespread (Marth mains are forever), and it's the most coveted title in any level of the scene (local, regional, national, and at least in the West a bit). Perhaps it's been more to do in the past due to his high tier status, you wouldn't necessarily be playing real mains of those characters in tournament, but people who are into swords pride their destruction of opposition with other sword characters. If anything this is the greatest game the long hard steel ... fans could've ever hoped for.
And it's getting TRUER by the PATCH.

The amount of Marth dittos I've played over the course of my history is insane, and I never asked for more than 1% of them. MK dittos in Brawl on Battlefield/SV until the late hours of the morning. Roy dittos in melee until true rage was born from it and salt switch to Marth.

Now you know~

-

Also Roy's nair against crouching FE would be fine enough.... as his best neutral aerial. I do think he loses to at least the Falchions, not sure about Ike, don't think it's a hard counter though..
Also the best thing ever is how much everyone else gets to generally crap over MK this game, kinda poetic justice and justifies how good their swag specs are. While MK doesn't necessarily lose, he does tend to struggle against the the likes of Marth/Pit in footsie/neutral, so as long as you can maintain that advantage well [kill MK first, he's the lightest~] he likely generally has poor swords character match ups too... but I'd probably be interested to hear what MK mains think about them.... if they aren't just hype saps who want to be a Sheik slayer (chivalry is dying).

Anyway to further make this post have any merit:

I'm going to start drafting the new OP/stuff up very soon, so probably within the next few hours unless something bad happens. So about the 'groupings' I was talking about.

Group One: 1-10
Group Two: 11-18
Group Three [unordered]: 19-22
Group Four [the remainders/indecisive]: 14 characters
Group Five [unordered]: 8 characters
Group Six [unordered]: 10 characters

And yes, this is just from asking about top 15/bottom 10, which I think is awesome. :D there was a small gap between the those bottom 10 and those above in frequency but were still in a third or more of results.
You'd better have Dr. Mario in the right section~.

This should be fun to see when you're done, regardless.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Solo Rosalina is "strong" primarily because its relatively easy for her to avoid engaging with most opponent for 12 seconds while waiting for Luma to respawn. Were she required to fight by herself for the whole match, she would pretty much be a crappier Mewtwo with better juggling/spiking.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Rosalina minus Luma still has top notch defense, good range, and solid disjoint. But her offense is a complete shambles without the floating range extender, combo breaker, and general purpose pressure tool.

Luckily for her, defense and evasion is all she needs in order to stall for a fresh Luma. But knowing how to kill it off quickly does a fantastic job of keeping her off balance.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
The reason why soro is better than half the cast is because she's hardly unplayable and she only has to wait like 14 seconds before she's one of the best characters in the game again.

She is the only character left besides bottom tiers who's stats makes no sense relative to their design. Why should a character who is supposed to be extremely defensive have better kill power than almost all other characters? If they just reworked the kb and growth values of luma's attacks so that they kill in normal situations she wouldn't be so abusive. The kb on luma aerials are straight up dumb.
Rosalind is only Zelda+ without Luma and with Luma she becomes ZeldaX. Many characters across the board have some way to derp Luma out and Rosalind's jab and disjoints only do so much without Luma to bring home the bacon. :secretkpop:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
@ FullMoon FullMoon
Diddy:
Honestly, the MU is quite volatile and heavily stage dependent. The very fact that Diddy has a projectile that can setup a wall and can force DK to approach, it makes the MU quite frustrating for DK. Pretty much, if you play like Angel Cortes did in Smash Con v Will, game 2 and 3. Diddy really strives in putting DK in two of the three negative states DK has (refer to pg. 44/45). The two states that DK has against Diddy is the approaching, and landing. DK can approach in a very linear and predictable fashion with DA and RAR/PP Bair. DA gets stuffed banana and any good Diddy knows the RAR bair is coming. I would say nair, but the hitboxes are small and may have a hard time connecting with a small model like Diddy. I refrain from using the term "once DK gets in tho" because a good Diddy won't let that happen dude.

Ness:
RAR bair, Ftilt, Utilt and jab 2 are really good tools DK has against Ness. Going in and trying to straight overwhelm with nair, fair and bair ain't gonna scare DK the same as DK has enough range on ftilt to outspace fair. The move that really scares and puts respect in DK is Uair, the hitbox is so large and it kills early too. It comes out fast and just hurts in general. DK can only do cargo throw to uair on Ness cuz he has such low falling speed. Really, the fact to use Ding Dong on them way too much (ie make them above 100%) can make their gameplan quite linear (bthrow all day). If you get the opportunity to, you could cargo u throw to 10 wind punch at around 40-60% for kill. Now, I'm making it quite unfair on the Ness end cause, DK doesn't beat Ness. He at best goes even cuz Ness has some nasty frame traps on DK and DK has to commit and hope the Ness plays fearful/linear. Ness combos DK and can even kill him early and force approaches.

Yoshi:
Now, we are getting to some bad MUs for DK. Even in Brawl, where Yoshi has no kill moves or nothing, this MU was tough and was even. In this game, where Yoshi has overall been buffed (don't kill me here Sinister Slush), the MU is now tragic. There are some nasty frametraps that Yoshi has on DK due to in part of DK's huge hurtbox, and Yoshi in general. Yoshi has a projectile that does decent damage and interrupts many of DK's movements. The fact Yoshi has SHAD and DK has no attack that can react fast enough to many of Yoshi's SHAD options hurts DK. Will, what people say is the best DK, loses tot Raptor and Poltergust in Brawl Yoshi, and to my knowledge, goes Sheik against the MU in this game, confirms that the MU sucks. Ding Dong, Down B, and even Lariat don't work that well either. It's bad man. BF, FD, DL, Lylat are just bad stages in the MU. T&C and S&V are pretty good.

Sonic:
Sonic speed man. Like Brawl, where Sonic was noticeably worse, he won the MU cuz he was so fast and also could bait hitboxes to come out. If DK had long lasting, longer ranged, or not small (compared to his hurt box) hit boxes, he could contend with the speed and bait game Sonic has, but that's no the case. He covers like 2 of DK's disadvantages and actually can kill so, it's lost cause and MU for DK in this one. U can try your best, but if people are playing efficient with Sonic (Static Manny) then there's no point of trying lest you have some sort obtuse plan. Small stages are the only way to deal with him.

Fox:
I expressed my sentiment before with this MU on page 34. A good Fox will use his lasers cuz racking up easy, passive damage is the best way to cause approaches.
C&P from page 34
"
While the jab combo isn't the end all be all factor that hurts DK, Fox still bodies DK in footsies. DK'S negative state starts in 3 areas: approaching, landing, and then overall throwing out hitboxes.

How does one force DK into anyone of these situations? To force approaching, all you have to do is passively rack damage (Oli does this well too) on DK as most DKs know that he isn't as durable as his Brawl incarnation. In conjuction, the shield damage and power in his moves are also worse, so when having to approach, know that it's a nightmare.

Landing has always been a sore thumb in DK's gameplay. He has no hitboxes that cover his body that doesn't have stupid small hitboxes. Seriously, a lot of DK'S moves have small hitboxes in comparison to his hurtbox.

When you're forced to throw out moves (because your opponent doesn't want to respect your space), this is the worst. Why? DK overall has slow moves that don't have as much power/damage as expected or just have end lag to nullify the quick start up of some of his attacks. His quickest attack is a frame 5 (not the worst) jab/front side utilt. The problem is, all the attacks that hit in front of him are......lackluster. so if someone is in front of you, well tough luck. All his forward hitboxes on the ground have gaps in them. Also, did I mention how little shields stun and shield damage his attacks do (especially the non sweetspot......he should only have sweetspot.......like for real, sours lot Giant punch never kills)?

Since Fox can force all three negative states in a singular and easy motion (laser for approaching, u tilts and Dair to force landing, and Fox's playstyle just forces DK'S to feel pressed to put out hitboxes).

Honestly, I say Fox is DK's worst MU since he can take advantage and put DK in all 3 negative states easily. Other characters can put you in all 3, but it takes time or too much commitment. What made this bearable in Brawl was the sheer power and durability. Smash 4 stripped many characters of admittedly generous hitboxes, the durability, and power of certain characters.

Fox will always be a bane to DK's side (in every game) until a completely absurd amount of changes to DK or Fox take place."

ZSS:
She has great stage presence against DK and since DK's fastest attack is a frame 5 move, getting out is a tad bit hard. SHe also gets the uair link easy against DK cuz DK is so large plus has a hard time getting out of her up b. If you stay out of the shenanigans (it's actually than you think to get out/not get put into shenanigans), the footsy game sucks, but is bearable. With her nair, you'll be pressed to do anything, but at low percents, convert into utilt. Ducking is a great option IMO, underused, since Tether don't work on you then. Still in ZSS favor by a longshot though. Often safe you Ding Dong cuz that and utilt will be your best bet for kills.

Luigi:
DK IMO, beats Luigi, but not handily. While Luigi has fireballs that safe on shield. So what, at low percents, DK can trade getting hit for a follow up. Many things that make Luigi great are made greater by his grab. Thing is, DK also gets reward from grab and while Luigi's is faster, DK has more range and has jab grab at mid high+ percents. Usmash though, gives DK fear since invincinbility and DK has no landing......scary. Also, many times, DK finds himself on the ledge v Luigi. DK has no ledge options so, yeah that hurts. Onstage though, DK's presence is felt and since Luigi doesn't have the greatest mobility, DK can stuff him with tilts all day.

Pika:
Truth, I dunno about this MU. What I mean by it, it's so stage dependent that what ever I tell you will be voided pending on which stage you go on. SV TC are good for DK and limits the QA shenanigans, and forces a more direct game of CQC. With all hits, bar last hi, of fair, and uair being safe on DK, those moves should often be used against DK. That being said, DK utilt is really good at catching Pika out the sky. PP utilt helps keep Pika in check. Bair is not as effective as the hurtbox extension as well as hitting in a very limited vertical area hurts area. Nair covers space and can lead to some followups.

Rosa:
What can I say about it? If you perfectly space a bair on shield, COMPLETELY SAFE BAR AN OOS DA. Really, the MU relies on how efficient are you on getting rid of luma and capitalizing on that 13 second window. If you can't then the MU becomes how well you don't get juggled and tech the auto angle fair. Not the worst, but it requires a level of thinking beyond me expressing some sentiments here.

SHEIK:
We made it finally. Now, Sheik wins this MU if you play campy or just keep using fair, or cover ledge options like a boss. Otherwise, the MU is not the worst thing in the world. Ding Dong hurts so much (especially when you use cargo uthrow to 10 wind shoulder punch at around 50-75%). What I say to people all the time is watch out for the triangle jumps cuz the Sheik will go on loop to bait some move for easy punishment. Shielding isn't even great cuz fair exists. This MU needs you, the DK to be precise and crisp on punishes because offline, every aerial bar fair, is shield grab. Don't drop the ball here. DK lives for quite a long time already and can stall using spinning Kong if they are trying to edgeguard on BF. Smart sheiks won't ever take you to BF cuz it's now as close to beneficial to him as ever. Hand Slap is also near useless, but Lariat really does wonders here. Learn to mix up ledge get ups on this one. For some reason, Sheiks feel comfortable to shield on edge. Don't be afraid to headbutt and regrab edge. U don't know how much wonders this has worked for me.

Sorry FullMoon. I was doing this stuff then other stuff came in the way. Later is better than never I suppose. I also feel like my analysis has also progressively gotten worse as the night trudges on for me.
I actually got a bit confused there for a moment because I had totally forgotten about my question about DK haha.

Thanks for the info though.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Are you guys actually advocating that SoloRosa is better than half the cast? Do you even play the game? What in the ****.

Last edited:

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron
Again, soro is better than half the cast because she can't ever be soro for very long.

And while her weaknesses without luma are real when luma is dead she forces an approach by just standing there regardless of % lead, which no other character can say. If you don't do a massive amount of damage or kill her during that time you are hopelessly behind, due to how she can kill ridiculously easily and build damage safely very well when luma is alive.

Without luma she still has the mobility, OOS options, disjoints, and grab game to last 14 seconds very easily against many characters. 14 seconds is not a very long time. It doesn't matter what her kill power or damage output is without Luma, because she gets it all back in 14 seconds.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Also not to feed into the Roy vs. Marth, just speaking individually but, I don't think it was mentioned that Roy apparently DOES have a kill setup that I don't think is heavily DI reliant.

Falling Tipper Uair into Utilt/Blazer (if you want)/other moves vs. fastfallers seems pretty reliable from testing, I have it in video format just in case but, huh. I had no clue!

It's not SAFE by any means but hey, it's something I never saw being brought up.

Last edited:

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
Solo Rosalina is only Solo for 12 seconds. Samus has to be Samus the whole fight. That poor *******...

edit: Solo Rosa is really bad

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Wario can force an approach by just standing there too, due to Waft.

Might sound obvious but I think the best characters against Rosa are the ones who barely change how they fight her regardless of Luma's presence. Marth and Sheik come to mind.

The issue with relying on Luma removal, even if your character is good at it, is her silly good defensive game without Luma as you described. She has great dodges, a floaty airdodge, retains a good OoS game and can dash pretty fast on the ground if need be. Her damage output may suck but what's the issue if the whole situation is basically a stalemate?

SoRo does suck and Rosa would be pretty garbage if she was forced to play that way the whole time because she'd ultimately lose the stalemate (even though SoRo's actual neutral is... probably better than a ton of characters', she has low damage output and almost no advantage state). But she's only forced to play that way for 12 seconds which isn't a long time to camp defensive actions.

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
As much as I dislike Roy, especially in comparison to Marth, sour spot aerials to kill moves can be pretty legit. It works great in the lab but I've never seen a serious Roy player pull it off in a match. It's not a grab kill combo and it's not Marth jab to fsmash, but it is something.

I don't think Roy is terrible, he's definitely better than a large chunk of the cast and basically obliterates characters with sub par mobility. But there are two other edgy swordsman (mk, dank pit) and two fe fighters (marth, ike) in the game that outclass him in matchups that matter (imo). He's pretty fun to play, though.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Warning Received

She actually doesn't need any nerfs. If anything she needs buffs. The rest of what you're saying is just flat out untrue.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Wario can force an approach by just standing there too, due to Waft.
Sorry, this sentence makes absolutely no sense to me. What does Wario having Waft to do with forcing approaches and why would just "standing there" be enough to do that?

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Everyone talks about how easy it is for Rosa to stall for Luma, but... how does that hold up when she's at a stock deficit?

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, this sentence makes absolutely no sense to me. What does Wario having Waft to do with forcing approaches and why would just "standing there" be enough to do that?

I think the idea is that, if you let Wario stand there and do nothing, he's charging a fart, which is deadly (and deadlier in a 2 stock meta). So you're encouraged to go after him rather then let him charge up his best tool.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro

While I'm hoping "standing there" is an exaggeration, until wario is in a significant deficit, he has a gamestate similar to as if he had the lead.

Not sure if I'd call it "forcing an approach" especially due to how passive the interaction is, but I'd say it is very similar to the state Soro is in. Since you'll only get the biggest rewards for approaching her while in SoRo state.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I think the idea is that, if you let Wario stand there and do nothing, he's charging a fart, which is deadly (and deadlier in a 2 stock meta). So you're encouraged to go after him rather then let him charge up his best tool.
It doesn't actually work that way.

But yeah, that's probably what he meant ...

RedBeefBaron

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Redbeefbaron

What do you mean? He builds charge passively as time goes by does he not?

Although the approach is not nearly as forced as it is against soro since you have more time to work with and wario doesn't ignore most projectiles like soro.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796

Uh. That's exactly how it works. Wario is at a significant disadvantage if he doesn't like long enough to use the move. By approaching you are hedging the chances that he will get multiple uses in a game. It doesn't force you to approach but it certainly makes it something you probably should be doing more often than if it wasn't a factor.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Okay, but how is wario forcing characters to approach that can run away/camp him out?
A wario with waft isn't getting through walls any better than a wario without waft.

A campy sheik isn't going isn't going to stop needle camping when you have waft, a mega man won't stop shooting pellets, sonic won't stop running away, a campy Pac-Man won't stop hiding behind his trampoline and setting up traps...

I know that wario has other ways of fighting these characters, but just hanging back passively isn't going to scare any of them.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Why would you take that literally?

"Stand there" does not mean you actually just stand there. Rosalina cannot actually just stand there to force an approach. It's completely akin to "doing nothing" which does not actually mean doing nothing.

I shouldn't need to explain this.

Anyway, why is this a controversial point? I thought it was a pretty common viewpoint. Wario forces an approach because if you don't approach him while he stays away from you he's just gonna charge up a Waft which kills you at like 50. He gets this deadly KO option which isn't even that hard to land if you don't approach him.

It does work this way unless you are so comfortable fighting Wario that you don't care about Waft and don't think you will ever get hit by it. I suppose he usually wants to approach after he HAS the Waft but no matter what, you're just putting yourself at risk of getting hit by it if you let it build up. @ Nu~ Nu~ has a point in that characters who camp Wario out anyway aren't going to be as scared of Waft, but even then, they risk wasting all their hard work chipping damage on if he manages to approach once and get an early Waft kill.

Wario and Rosalina are both still susceptible to projectiles but both have ways to get around them (bike and GP), Rosa may be slightly better at nullifying them but let's not split hairs on that one.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Wario punishes overcommitment to defense very effectively with bike + bite, and his general mobility makes him hard to actually pin down. While mileage varies, it's risky to try being overly defensive vs wario since in addition to waft, he has consistent defensive punishes and pokes.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Why would you take that literally?

"Stand there" does not mean you actually just stand there. Rosalina cannot actually just stand there to force an approach. It's completely akin to "doing nothing" which does not actually mean doing nothing.

I shouldn't need to explain this.

Anyway, why is this a controversial point? I thought it was a pretty common viewpoint. Wario forces an approach because if you don't approach him while he stays away from you he's just gonna charge up a Waft which kills you at like 50. He gets this deadly KO option which isn't even that hard to land if you don't approach him.

It does work this way unless you are so comfortable fighting Wario that you don't care about Waft and don't think you will ever get hit by it. I suppose he usually wants to approach after he HAS the Waft but no matter what, you're just putting yourself at risk of getting hit by it if you let it build up. @ Nu~ Nu~ has a point in that characters who camp Wario out anyway aren't going to be as scared of Waft, but even then, they risk wasting all their hard work chipping damage on if he manages to approach once and get an early Waft kill.

Wario and Rosalina are both still susceptible to projectiles but both have ways to get around them (bike and GP), Rosa may be slightly better at nullifying them but let's not split hairs on that one.
You do realize that I wasn't taking that literally lol.

I jut don't think a counter camp strategy will work against another camper in wario's case.

But you do bring up a good point...
It is a big risk

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
You do realize that I wasn't taking that literally lol.

I jut don't think a counter camp strategy will work against another camper in wario's case.

But you do bring up a good point...
It is a big risk
Oh yeah I know you weren't, Gheb was, with his original reply to me. I was talking about him.

I think it is a risk but you also bring up a good point in that campers will likely care about Waft less anyway. I think Wario's hard MUs are/will be campers who can keep him out and are hard to hit with Waft. The sheer silliness of that move should stop any MU from being unwinnable and as DunnoBro said, Wario has good options vs camping with bike and bite. But eventually he probably won't exactly "force" an approach from everyone. Still a good chunk of characters though.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
How can you camp out a character that wants to be as passive as possible? You can't keep him out because he wants to be out. The only projectile that Wario has no answer to is needles.

Characters that can rush him down with vastly superior frame data and safety (basically Mario, Sheik and Diddy, his worst MUs) are what he struggles against.

Last edited:

RayNoire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RayNoire
Mewtwo's matchup with Rosalina is alright. Definitely our best top tier MU. We get rid of Luma very easily, but Rosalina by herself isn't much worse than Mewtwo, so it's not free or anything.

Wario doesn't force approaches as much as people think. He might initially, but once he's charged you might as well force him to approach, and he's probably not going to risk blowing it on your first stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom