• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VGBootCamp: Regarding Project M

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
That doesn't change the fact that it IS what happened, though.
PM players gave VGBC their money when VGBC streamed PM. Now that PM isn't being streamed, PM players can back out of giving VGBC money. The way I see it, and the way people should see it, PM players got exactly what they paid for. They paid for PM, they got PM, no more PM, stop paying for PM.

"O gawd, Walmart doesn't sell the lotion I like to buy anymore? I can't believe I ever spent money here! RIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Taytertot

Smash Ace
Im hoping that someone will post on the smashboards of where this new location to find those videos will be because i am not a sub but i do like to be able to find the videos on youtube and would hate to lose that opportunity.

Berble

Smash Apprentice
That doesn't change the fact that it IS what happened, though.
how did he "take their money and turn his back?"
they subbed by choice knowing that their game is in a strange legal area and knowing that nintendo was getting involved with the scene more. pm players had to know that their game eventually couldn't be esports and main stream because of the legal issues. gimr isn't "turning his back" he has no choice

SevereScreamo

Smash Cadet
NNID
SevereScreamo
3DS FC
1779-1913-1406
What ridiculous, asinine nonsense.

You don't grow the community by cutting off a whole branch. So much for one unit. I'm disgusted.
you grow the community by working closer with the actual creators of the game not by getting a very vital community channel taken down due to copy right strikes

Shenmue

Smash Rookie
hurts me soul to see this post. and it was PM that actually made me start playing Smash again. but if u want that Nintendo sponsor, then go for it.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Guys, custom patches are perfectly legal. If that wasn't the case, like 30% of the people on steam game would get shot at.

It is even further legal due to the fact that you don't have to deal with Roms and an emulator being part of the issue since the actual main goal is to do it through having a hard copy of the game being nodded. Legality is literally a non issue, 100%.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
PM players gave VGBC their money when VGBC streamed PM. Now that PM isn't being streamed, PM players can back out of giving VGBC money. The way I see it, and the way people should see it, PM players got exactly what they paid for. They paid for PM, they got PM, no more PM, stop paying for PM.

"O gawd, Walmart doesn't sell the lotion I like to buy anymore? I can't believe I ever spent money here! RIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Not well said, but agreed. If you don't support this move, VGBC, or GimR, unsub, stop paying for it, and move on. It isn't a harsh thing to do whatsoever, and it's a part of what comes with the field. As a consumer, you can and should let your voice be heard as such.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
how did he "take their money and turn his back?"
they subbed by choice knowing that their game is in a strange legal area and knowing that nintendo was getting involved with the scene more. pm players had to know that their game eventually couldn't be esports and main stream because of the legal issues. gimr isn't "turning his back" he has no choice
I'm fairly certain this was before Nintendo had shown actual involvement beyond acknowledging competitive Melee existed. The thought couldn't have been further from most people's minds. Not to mention, the idea this game couldn't be 'esports' and the idea that VGBC would drop this game entirely are two very different issues.
As for him having "no choice," this is a decision he made of his own free will. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is the very definition of 'choice.' If Nintendo had told him to do this, that's another matter, but that isn't what happened here. I don't fault him for his decision, but PM players did support him for a reason, and they had VERY GOOD REASON to expect more out of him than this.

Last edited:

IvanTehFennec

FenFox.tk (FNFX)
NNID
IvanTehFennec
You lost my money for sure. I'll be sure to rub it in whenever I see anything VGBC, how big a sellout this is. Good job.

KuroJet

Smash Cadet
Welp, I hope that #FreeGimR buffer of 200 extra subs after 500 helps you... cause a lot of people came to watch PM and get hype off TKBreezy's commentary..

THE PM Stream.
THE Voice of Project M.

All of that's gone now, and really, it sucks. I stopped really tuning in, and I can't really complain cause I didn't sub (but I did follow), but Smash 4 really is boring to watch... I can't watch it. I literally fall asleep. This isn't disrespecting anyone that enjoys the game, but for me, it's just not there.

I don't know what to do about PM here in Maryland... it's pretty dead, I guess.

Oh well, guess I'll put my time in other things elsewhere.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
Shame on anyone asking GimR to put his livelihood on the line to support THEIR cause. I like PM but its not his job to take one for the team just so u get some entertainment. Others will take up the torch of PM streaming if u think its community cares enough. From the looks of there seem to be lots of people who do....

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Don't care for PM so this doesn't affect me, but this means people are going to need to find a new streamer for PM in some areas. I'll keep up on VG for Melee and Smash 4 though.

Still hope things go well for finding that, but people asking Nintendo to pick up PM really don't get why they can't.

I suspect a rift will occur more and more. This is the beginning of change, one of which the community at large is approaching a time of potential community change which may very well be incredibly hostile.

A Smash winter is coming, soon very very soon.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Okay, let's just submit to Nintendo over something they might do.
How respectable.
So it would be better to wait for Nintendo to actually take action and potentially do more damage than to take precaution measures beforehand to ensure it doesn't happen in the first place.

Last edited:

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, this is the definition of a sell out, it doesn't matter if he is making the safer choice or what: he is selling out to the fans. Smash is a family. This is dumb.

Nintendo, I'm slowly realizing, really is just in this for the money and NOTHING else. Once smash 4 stops being popular, they will leave. : (

That stinks

Firebert95

Smash Rookie
NNID
Firebert95
3DS FC
0318-8071-4293
This is some of the worst news I have heard in a while. Comparatively, watching Smash 4 is a joke to PM. I understand where Gimr's coming from but I hate that they have to give it up altogether ) =

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I hope GimR realizes that this isn't just shunning PM, it's a middle finger to it, even though we of course know it's not intended to be. This is effectively dropping PM for Smash 4, the game that has already forced PM out of several major tournaments against the community's will.

If people aren't already trying to kill Smash 4, they will be now, and at this point, I can't help but want to join them.
Rude

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman

First of all, that comparison. People buy things because they need them, not to show Walmart their support. The intent behind giving VGBC money was to support them. It's only natural people feel betrayed, especially since GimR made such a big deal about asking for money. Second of all, he waited a good month at least to tell us this news. I'm not going to say this is would be a non-issue if he had said this earlier, but he did effectively take some people's money for nothing during that month, even though we're all well aware that wasn't his intent.
Anyway, simply put, the people who supported GimR weren't doing it to buy $5 worth of PM or however you're viewing it. They did it to support something they enjoy, and now that money is going to something else entirely.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
There's always the chance of someone else taking stream duties for Project M, sparing VGBootCamp from the legal issues while still giving PM fans what they want. Everyone wins.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
You don't think they wouldn't have the decency to send a warning or notice to something so largely established?
I think dealing with Nintendo, a very large and successful company, in any sort of legal confrontation should be outright avoided if it looks ill for the person.

And whose to not say that VGBootCamp dropped PM do to a letter or notice from Nintendo?

But yes, I would think that Nintendo would have the decency to contact VGBootCamp but, regardless, GimR would still be getting the backlash and angry letters if that was the case.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
Smash 4 has nothing to do with this, dude
Really? Nintendo having a new game out that they want to advertise has nothing to do with the attempted shutdown of a game potentially taking hype away from their new game?
We shouldn't blame smash 4, but it's a big driver in this issue

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
I'm totally fine with this. PM is cool and all but is simply a mod of a game. Period. There's no reason for VGBC to risk assets especially when Smash 4 is out and the a new focus for the smash community.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Gotta wonder how many ppl calling GimR a "sellout" were even subbed to him in the first place

Stryker

Smash Journeyman
-1 youtube sub
-1 Twitch sub

I hope selling out make you enough money for the huge branch of the community you just abandoned. This scene was happy as grass roots, and it will always function as grass roots. At least now we know who is only in it for the money.

I dont want to hear any #OneUnit **** after this. Hypocrites. If we were #OneUnit we would be supporting EVERY smash community.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
P
It's not like a huge portion of his money and success came from the PM community or anything. Unlike the Smash 4 community, who had Nintendo practically pay the game's way into the scene, the PM community had to grow on it's own. I don't want to hear anything about being spoiled from a part of the Smash 4 community.
Haha... Give me a break. You act like it's one or the other. I play every smash game at my local weeklies.Including PM.I just recognize that the PM community is entitled and spoiled For a large part

Achroma

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5472-7850-1658
People are unsubbing because GimR decided not to risk the community get a big, fat Cease and Desist to the face and people are calling him a sellout? Really makes you question the community.

Also, there are a good two other Smash games and countless Brawl mods that have gotten far worse treatment by TOs, streamers and the general community, but no one is sticking up for them despite how big they became and how dedicated people were to the game/mod.

Ur2Slow

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sponger64
Project M players should just unsub if they have no reason to stay subbed. If it's a problem of not having a place to stream, start up a new streaming place. With that being said, people have the right to disagree with someone's own decision

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
Gotta wonder how many ppl calling GimR a "sellout" were even subbed to him in the first place
If there's an issue with calling him a sellout, that's not it. Second of all, you make it sound like just because someone didn't give him money, it isn't a problem they should care about.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
This saddens me a great deal. Project M was the only reason I ever even watched VGbootcamp's streams. I watched them every single Tuesday without fail before fall quarter of college started. Though I can see why he has chosen to stop streaming PM, it saddens me that I will no longer be able to watch players such as Junebug and Boss play my favorite Smash game once I have more free time.

Last edited:

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
If there's an issue with calling him a sellout, that's not it. Second of all, you make it sound like just because someone didn't give him money, it isn't a problem they should care about.
how dare he sell out to nintendo trying to make a living, he should just stick to making content i like so i can get it for free instead

Top Bottom