• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VGBootCamp: Regarding Project M

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
People are acting like VGBootcamp wasn't the #1 contributer to PM over the past year, or that the scene is finished without us.

Do what you always do, which is keep on keepin on.

Mightyno.M

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mickeyx
3DS FC
4141-2356-8625
dang another Hurdle for PM

I don't get it PC players mods things all the time and its not like Pm is getting any profit?

can someone explain the difference (I am lost)

iHook

Smash Cadet
So, real talk, what happens IF (I won't be the one to say "when") Smash4 hype drops? They go full Melee?

WiiDude83

Smash Cadet
NNID
WiiDude83
Let's be totally honest people...We KNEW this was coming. Now I was a PM player myself, until 3.5 and then I moved onto smash 4. I totally understand where GimR is coming from and I respect his discussion to do so. The scene is going more rapidly than it every has and Nintendo supporting Melee and Smash 4 is big for us. We can't just be a closed community anymore. I do respect PM players....most of them at least....I don't support those who are whining at GimR and Nintendo for this...When the entire MOD is changing the game nintendo spent so much time into just because people thought it sucked...Nintendo isn't going to just take that lightly when the scene is getting this big...I know it sounds harsh, but we knew this going into project M in the first place. I hope PM finds a way to keep going in the future. But please don't put hate towards GimR, Nintendo, Or anyone. Use this moment to find something new, some way to keep the game going on your own. VGBC was able to get the PM community this far, now it's up the community to keep it going. Best of luck to you guys.

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
Unfortunate for all PM fans but hope you're still successful in the future GimR.

Berble

Smash Apprentice
Ignorant, if I do say so myself. PM has done so much for the fans, much more than Nintendo could ever do with Smash.
this is obviously a legal issue for gimr and not something he wants to do

Last edited:

Scoot

Smash Cadet
OK PEOPLE PLEASE!!

I understand this is a very disappointing result considering where it begin with Gimr.

But this isn't the end! This is no where near the end, why should it be, places like tourney locator, windycitysmash and more of those streams that are still willing to broadcast PM, put your anger into helping them, it sucks that VGBC is pushing PM back into the underground but we can help it stay above ground!!!

The community did the same thing for Melee and I'll be damned if the PM community can't do it for PM, this is a measly dent in the stepping stones to having more people see the game we love and care for.

So instead of taking your anger out on Gimr here show him what he's missing out on by supporting more lesser known/viewed streams that host these tournaments and help them gain popularity.

While I'm upset with Gimrs decision, it's the mans decision and nothing I say will change it so I just wish him the best and will tune in for his streams still.

I love PM and always will no matter what happens to it and no matter what people say!

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Keep playing PM its the best smash and will keep getting better, we will just have to find a better stream provider to go to.
This.

What started P:M was the fans and what will keep it going is the fans. Nintendo hasn't touched P:M and so, currently, they do not view it as being threatening. It would be great if PM can continue going on strong, pick up a rising streamer, and continue putting forth quality content.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
What I read

Nintendo wants in on all our upcoming ****, so we must remove Project M.

Did anyone read that? Or am I missing something

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
What did you guys expected? It's a mod I it will break copyright. And why will Nintendo buy it, buy what!? A mod of the game they made for people that ****ted over the game they made. They will make no money from that they is a business not your friend.

Berble

Smash Apprentice
PM also allowed gimr to quit his day job and focus on smash. So take PM fans' money and then turn his back.
you really think gimr, the guy who provides free high quality streams and vods had a plan to exploit the pm community by "taking their money" and then "turning his back"
this is obviously just a legal issue

Undefeatedable

Smash Rookie
NNID
Undefeatedable
Honestly, I'd rather have a formal step-down than Nintendo shutting it down out of the blue. It's not like he's doing this just to say screw PM, this is probably an excruciatingly hard decision to make. If Nintendo doesn't see PM getting big, Maybe they'll keep writing it off as some kid's side project or whatever and we'll still get to enjoy it even if it's not through viewing. I know I'm gonna be playing PM till the day my computer blows up.

$heen

Smash Ace
All major non-Nintendo-sponsored PM tournaments will be streamed regardless of VGBC. All this changes is that GimR will be getting less ad revenue.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
you really think gimr, the guy who provides free high quality streams and vods had a plan to exploit the pm community by "taking their money" and then "turning his back"
this is obviously just a legal issue
That doesn't change the fact that it IS what happened, though.

Chexr

Smash Ace
If I was GimR and I was facing the loss of not only VGBootCamp but the potential of a lawsuit/retribution from Nintendo on the P:M community; I would drop P:M like a sack of potatoes.

We don't know what sort of legal action VGBootCamp would face. It could of been to protect the P:M community as Nintendo may have threatened to send a cease and desist to the PM team if VGBootCamp didn't agree to drop it. It could of been to protect VGBootCamp and avoid a lawsuit. I am not going to be quick to blame this entirely on VGBootCamp and call them a sell out until further information is revealed (if at all).

(but then again...it might just be an excuse to be associated with Nintendo so who knows)
That's a lot of ifs, buts and could ofs and not a lot of actual facts. Until I hear direct quotes from Nintendo I'm not buying any of it.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Project M had a lot of love and hype in it and it will always be fun with friends! But with all the legal trouble and stuff like that... yeah, it's hard to imagine it at tourneys, especially huge ones like Apex or Evo. Sorry.

Ividboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ividboy
3DS FC
4098-4898-5270
Sigh... This is very unfortunate, but I understand the risks and I completely respect and understand the reasoning behind your decision. Smash makes me sad sometimes, the games that we pour our hearts into have a lead developer that purposely REMOVES depth even with very little complexity to begin with because he wants everyone to feel good afterwards(butthurt players are an inevitability when you make something where people compete). Honestly I want Sakurai to turn the next smash bros over to another developer, because first, I feel like he set forth a solid foundation for others to follow, but overdid his control, and second (which is caused by the first BTW) is that making smash is literally DESTROYING HIS BODY. After hearing him talk about his developing experiences with the smash games, it scares me to think about how many years it took off of his life, and how many more it will take off if he keeps making these.

I didn't mean for this to turn into a bash/pity Sakurai post...

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
This.

What started P:M was the fans and what will keep it going is the fans. Nintendo hasn't touched P:M and so, currently, they do not view it as being threatening. It would be great if PM can continue going on strong, pick up a rising streamer, and continue putting forth quality content.
What happens when that streamer gets popular and Nintendo gets the legal threats out against them. I don't know what PM can do at this point.

Harley Pawluk

Smash Rookie
So, here's my two cents on this.

Project M without a doubt a huge factor in not only VGBootcamp but the smash community on a whole. It's played by a wide variety of professional and casual players, for it is so well built.

However. Sometimes for progress to be made, sacrifices need to happen. I can understand this choice from multiple standpoints. Even when I personally don't believe this is a good choice. In order to play PM you have to modify core game files. Which in an act places itself in a very weird Gray area. If VGBC has a chance to fully grow into a full Nintendo sponsorship, then I fully believe that VGBC made a choice with the community in mind.

I do not believe for a second that this was an easy choice, I firmly believe they spent a fair chunk of time debating. That is why I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. I think as a community we should stand by them, and see how this all pans out.

In the meantime, I think we should all start streaming more PM. Even start up more PM dedicated youtube channels and streams. PM needs a player base, more than ever right now. And maybe over time, Nintendo will support PM or even be ok with it In general!

The best thing I believe to do, is to support both VGBootcamp in their future ahead, And Project M growing even more.

Venom_909

Smash Apprentice
GIMR IS NOT THE VILLAIN HERE!. so put ur pitchforks down plz

As a Pm player / TO (Venom from Socal) I support Gimr's decision. Good for him. Happy hes doing well and I will continue watching content he provides.

Freaking out over stuff like this is what pisses off the masses when it comes to the PM community.

You can either Fix it yourself
or complain like a child and expect someone to do something for you.

I GAVE 5 bucks a month i am entitled to ___________

Guess what you don't deserve it. Period.

Find the people willing to support PM / Stream it / run events. Do your part to improve the PM community. And quit sitting on ur ass ******** about what others decide to do with their own business for christs sake.

Grow up and stop acting like entitled little brats so that people can take you seriously. Allowing a Group(s) decision to ruin your whole viewpoint on the matter is the worst course of action.

Do your part to keep PM alive.

Venom Out <3 :p

toro194

Smash Rookie
Someone needs to compile a list of all the other PM streams for this online PM community to see streams from. Since most of them only know of VGBC.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
That's a lot of ifs, buts and could ofs and not a lot of actual facts. Until I hear direct quotes from Nintendo I'm not buying any of it.
And I am not going to outright say that VGBootCamp is doing this solely for monetary gain and selling out. Because we don't know what outside of what GimR stated. This entire issue is whole can of ifs, buts, could ofs and what ifs with little actual facts to base our assumptions on. I am just not willing to jump the gun on this point. Doing so and calling GimR a sell out without actual information/facts is disrespecting what he built and the effort he put into the PM and Smash Community IMO. It's like everything they did for the PM community up this point has turned to **** due to their decision and, to me, that is really horrible.

What happens when that streamer gets popular and Nintendo gets the legal threats out against them. I don't know what PM can do at this point.
VGBootCamp got on Nintendo's radar because it became big enough to maybe become a problem. VGBootCamp saw this as a potential legal issue and took measures to avoid this (if this is to be believed).

What we can do to avoid this from happening again is to maybe have streamers by region, local streamers, or dedicated streamers that are small enough to escape the radar. I am just spit balling here but I don't see this as the death toll for PM.

Yes, it hurts but if there is a will, there is a way. PM is a great project with great people working on it that are dedicated to Smash and furthering the community. It outright sucks that they are in a legal gray area but I do not think that should diminish support from the project.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Let them threaten, until nintendo does something it means nothing. If they do something against PM then the entire community can take a dump on nintendo similar to how it was when they almost refused evo the right to stream melee.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Well didn't expect this to happen, but whatever. I stopped watching Xanadu when it became clear that Smash4 had taken center stage. Such a boring game to watch, and even more obnoxious is hearing people with such hype for something that isn't even entertaining for me.

Legonro

Smash Rookie
NNID
Legonro
3DS FC
4184-4117-9036
What is this #FreeGimR stuff?
GimR started a campaign to reach 500+ subscribers [or get 500 more subs idk] on his Twitch channel so he could quit his day job and stream full time

The thing is, though, most of those subs were from people who are P:M fans.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Lol at the people taking sumps on GimR now. Give me a break. It's his stream and his decision. If you don'upport it don't watch it bit that's not a reason to act like spoiled brats. PM community's true colors.

HackerKing

Smash Rookie
Unsubscribed. I don't support this action, and this makes me want to pick a different service (like Clash Tournament)

SevereScreamo

Smash Cadet
NNID
SevereScreamo
3DS FC
1779-1913-1406
Honestly this was pretty easy to see coming considering Nintendo was a main sponsor of the VGBC Apex stream its clown shoes to think that they would allow a fan made mod to be advertised on the stream, but considering GimR made such a big decision he must be very confident in the thought that he (the smash community and VGBC) will be working even more closely in the future with Nintendo so this is a sign that we will see even stronger support from Nintendo because they definitely saw the amount of viewers both sp00ky and VGBC's Apex stream received and probably had the number of people who attended the event. Maybe now they will start to acknowledge the community more and we will see more thing catered towards the competitive community like with the GameCube controller and adapter options for Smash 4 a product aimed and made specifically for the competitive community.This could be a good thing maybe in the future we wont need mods and our old GameCube to play the Smash Brothers game we want.

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
It's an understandable decision.

I know you guys are sad with the statement, but it just doesn't seem like it was GimR's choice. It must have been a really hard decision to take and a lot was at stake.

Don't direct your anger towards him, or Smash 4's players, transform it into will to support your game.

Last edited:

Killem

Smash Rookie
NNID
Imfappin
3DS FC
3067-6040-7700
Switch FC
5654 5358 1016
S E L L O U T B O Y Z
Hey guys,

As you might have noticed, we've been toning down our Project M coverage in recent months. With the release of Smash 4 and the continued revitalization of the Melee scene, there are more content opportunities now than ever. These recent opportunities have vaulted VGBC into the spotlight, but in some ways this has come at a cost.

As it stands now, Project M exists in a legal gray area. Project M's uncertain legality has the potential to put the other goals of VGBC for the wider Smash community in jeopardy. We are working on securing partnerships that will allow us to grow the community faster than ever before with new shows, tournaments, and other content. 2015 will be another crazy year for Smash, and as a small business with limited resources, it's too risky to invest a significant portion of our time and money into a game that could damage our business with a copyright strike at any time.

VGBC will no longer be streaming Project M

The more visible PM becomes, and the closer VGBC is associated with PM, the higher the likelihood we face more direct legal action. Given this, we will no longer be streaming PM content for the foreseeable future.We will also be taking down our PM content from YouTube. Don't worry - these videos will not be destroyed. We are working on an arrangement that will see them relocated to a new home.

In regards to the #FreeGimR movement, we do understand that a large portion of our initial #FreeGimR subs were not only fans of VGBC, but fans of Project M. If you are a sub, please check your private messages. We will be sending you a personal message soon.

We would like to thank the PMDT for an amazing relationship and for working so closely with us over the past two years. It's rare and exciting to work with people who are as passionate about Smash as we are. Making a living creating content around a game we've loved for well over a decade has been an incredible and humbling experience. This is the first time we've had to make such a hard decision, but in order to continue doing what we love we have to protect ourselves legally.

- Calvin “GimR” Lofton

PS: We were not presented with any Project M termination contract from Team Apex. That rumor is unfounded and has no part in our decision to discontinue Project M streaming and content.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
Lol at the people taking sumps on GimR now. Give me a break. It's his stream and his decision. If you don'upport it don't watch it bit that's not a reason to act like spoiled brats. PM community's true colors.
It's not like a huge portion of his money and success came from the PM community or anything. Unlike the Smash 4 community, who had Nintendo practically pay the game's way into the scene, the PM community had to grow on it's own. I don't want to hear anything about being spoiled from a part of the Smash 4 community.

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
We are working on securing partnerships that will allow us to grow the community faster than ever before
What ridiculous, asinine nonsense.

You don't grow the community by cutting off a whole branch. So much for one unit. I'm disgusted.

Of course you can do whatever you like with your stream, but pretending that this is "for the community" is disingenuous, and nothing less than an unqualified middle finger to every PM fan. Of course VGBC's initial streaming/support of PM was great for the PM community, but it's tough to give you credit for that now that we know it's only about the money.

Setting a precedent like this encourages other tournaments and streams from hosting PM, or PM content - as you're surely aware. This move leaves us far worse off than if VGBC had simply never bothered with the game, and for what? As you said, Nintendo's given no indication that this move is necessary. This isn't just a betrayal of the community for more money - it's a betrayal of the community for the *chance* at more money.

Whatever. You're entitled to exclude the PM community, and we're entitled to boycott VGBC.

Last edited:

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Ignorant, if I do say so myself. PM has done so much for the fans, much more than Nintendo could ever do with Smash.
So much in support of this statement. It's a real shame that GimR is acting in such an uncharacteristic way, but the Smash community is far bigger than VGBC, Nintendo, or the heavens themselves. If you put a wall in our way, we'll just have to Puff dair our way through it! That's just the way team Dairantou Sumasshu Burazaazu does things! Just who the hell do you think we are!?

GaMeR N1CK

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3582-8458-4207
as much as i really love nintendo and i really hate to say this, but they should really just stay away from the competitive scene. they just prevented a community from growing. its only a matter of time that they will pull melee from tourneys cause they see smash 4 isnt getting as much attention from the comp. scene.(A.K.A. Zer0 winning APEX 2015 Smash4)

Top Bottom