• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

USB Gecko is the new Action Replay! (added potential goals)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nainsell

Smash Rookie
I understood from the start that you never once put up a viable argument. You never once gave a reason why people shouldn't go through with this, instead just giving a blanket statement of your opinion, with nothing to support it. You're a hypocrite because you gave an argument with no substance, which after someone told you to shut up that their argument held no substance. When your same argument has been refuted countless times in this thread, and then you give the bare bones version, there is no reason any of us should have to waste our time trying to counter it.
Oh yeah? Well you're a homosexual.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Fixed for you.
:laugh:

Nah, I didn't ignore you. I just think it's pointless to come in here and call everybody working on this project pathetic.

And anybody who uses "clack, clack, clacking" in their posts to denote a competitive mindset is just asking to be reported. <--------/sarcasm, or is it?

Smooth Criminal

Doctor Destructo

Smash Journeyman
A wise sage told me this:

"It's like saying chocolate isn't as good as dog ****, because dog **** is free and chocolate costs money.

So rather than eating dog ****, they are feeding chocolate to the dog and waiting for it to take a **** so they can eat it.

But in actuality they are just killing the dog."

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
EDIT: Oh, and before you say stuff all "this un, you should gb2 melee and spare the people who really do enjoy Brawl for what it doesn't impact you, etc." it kinda does. If this does catch on, it will be the preferred method of play for pretentious wads like you. There are TONS of pretentious wads like you, and that's tons of wads I won't get to fight on even footing because they refuse to play the game the way it was meant to be played. Not only that, but plenty of obnoxious kids will do the exact same thing to prove how hardcore they are (these are the same kids who keep picking Final Destination and shutting off items in With Everyone, for crying out loud). Next thing you know, Real Brawl will hardly have anyone playing it at all, and I'm the one who's going to be forced to adjust if I want any real competition.
This must be single most dumb reasoning ever. If we changed are rules to all items, then pretentious wads would want to play with all items. Have you heard of "ignoring" these people? Seriously, if you are butt hurt about some group of people trying to prove they are hardcore, time to grow up. There will always be pretentious wads and they will be in all groups.

In FACT, I saw a pretentious wad post. His name is "Anarkex." He thinks he is better than a group of people because he doesn't like some of these group's rules. It is not the post count that makes you seem bad, it is the mother ****ing I am better than you as people cause I like to play differently thing. I will start ignoring you now like you should ignore "pretentious wads" of the "competitive" community.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
First of all, if Wii games can be modded or play over online with Action Replay-type devices, then you won't be worrying about playing Melee Online, you'll be worrying about people cheating or your Wii freezing up.

Mario Kart DS - There are so many action replay users online. You'll notice when you see 10 Blue Shells start flying at you(and this is before the race even started), or dozen of items being used in a row. Anyway, your Nintendo DS could freeze if someone spammed Blue Shells.

It's up to Nintendo to make sure their online services/games aren't easily "Action Replayable".

Though, it shouldn't be a problem. The DS doesn't have any updates or anything so they can't patch things like AR devices out. The Wii does have updates.

So as far as I know, the "modded Brawl" will only be limited to "local" players and not over online play.

Now, I understand how you feel but a couple of things I'd like to point out:

1. This is the internet, there will ALWAYS be people like that. Whether you're playing online Uno, or playing Brawl Online, or playing any game, there will always be people like that.

2. It's already going on with Brawl, there are already people who are very insulting, very "elitist", etc to anyone who loses to them or to anyone who plays the game with items or stuff.

3. Also I'd like to point out that people are doing this for their own enjoyment and not to simply "put down anyone".

Actually, as far as I know, it shouldn't affect anything online or any other people unless Action Replay-like devices can work online but it's up to Nintendo to prevent AR from working online.

Though, I don't get what everyone hates about Snaking though. Snaking is not too hard to do, and it's really fun IMO, it adds some more depth to the game(IMO). Just holding the gas button and steering a little bit and occasionally shooting items isn't much fun for me.
I don't hate snaking per-say. It gets the job done for me, it lets me win. But I just don't have fun doing it. I like being good, but I don't like being so godly I get nasty looks and become "THAT GUY!"

I want to have good battles, races, etc. Something intense, something adrenaline pumping.

It's many reasons why I had to retire from Ken in SF3 among my friends. Since it's not like I'd get out somewhere and taken on Daigo or something.

I don't have an issue with people doing this in their own privacy. I just don't want this sort of thing getting out too much. Or at the same time it isn't easily accessible for everyone. And not that it'll happen but, what if MLG decides to include Brawl. Would this thing be allowed? On top of that it would cause a big divide in playing styles, not that I think it would get popular enough for that.

Ahhhh ramble ramble ramble. I'm in the crowd that wants Melee to be Melee and Brawl to be Brawl. Since I've long grown adjusted to the way things work in both games.

Anarkex

Smash Cadet
This must be single most dumb reasoning ever. If we changed are rules to all items, then pretentious wads would want to play with all items. Have you heard of "ignoring" these people? Seriously, if you are butt hurt about some group of people trying to prove they are hardcore, time to grow up. There will always be pretentious wads and they will be in all groups.

In FACT, I saw a pretentious wad post. His name is "Anarkex." He thinks he is better than a group of people because he doesn't like some of these group's rules. It is not the post count that makes you seem bad, it is the mother ****ing I am better than you as people cause I like to play differently thing. I will start ignoring you now like you should ignore "pretentious wads" of the "competitive" community.

Hey, boss, that's awesome how you tried to turn my own reasoning against me, but it just doesn't work like that. I have no problems with playing with items off or on, I'll play any stage in any game mode as any character. I adore 1v1 on final destination with items off, it just gets OLD.

super l'esprit d'escalier edit: You think I'm some kind of anti-tourney player, but I'm really not. I love the competitive scene. I just don't want to have to buy a fecking peripheral to play competitively, and I personally like playing the game competitively the way it is. I know I'm not the only one, so this whole business really isn't necessary.

Now YOU tell me why you refuse to go back to playing Melee when that's obviously what you wish Brawl was.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
I don't hate snaking per-say. It gets the job done for me, it lets me win. But I just don't have fun doing it. I like being good, but I don't like being so godly I get nasty looks and become "THAT GUY!"
I see what you mean, I don't really Snake when no one else seems to be Snaking.

What I meant is when everyone Snakes, it makes the game more interesting and more fun.

Anyway, I didn't know you know how to Snake. My last post was aimed towards people(not anyone specific) who never tried Snaking or never Snaked(even against another Snaker) even though Snaking IMO isn't too hard to do and is fun(when it because a Snake match).

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah? Well you're a homosexual.
Oh yeah? Well, you're stupid AND a homosexual.

Actually, I think people should stop hating on each other in this thread. Can't we all be polite?

Anyways, as I said before, I think this sort of thing should be experimental before launching it into the public. (Although I doubt hordes of people would end up using it.) It sounds interesting right now, but I wouldn't fully consider it until everything has been examined and possible downsides are accounted for.

JordN

Smash Rookie
Why would you get rid of auto edge grabing? it made bunges not suck and is a suitable replacement for wavedashing.
I would understand this, change the length of ZSS's hit box for her up b (The recovering portion of it), sometimes it would NEVER reach but she grabs on. (Broken)
and if possible add the GOOD 'perfect shield' back so projectiles can be reflected again (ice climbers....)

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
I see what you mean, I don't really Snake when no one else seems to be Snaking.

What I meant is when everyone Snakes, it makes the game more interesting and more fun.

Anyway, I didn't know you know how to Snake. My last post was aimed towards people(not anyone specific) who never tried Snaking or never Snaked(even against another Snaker) even though Snaking IMO isn't too hard to do and is fun(when it because a Snake match).
For the record, the majority of anti-snakers claim they tried snaking once but didn't like to do it and that it was "very easy to do," and that they can do it "just fine." Of course if they ever tried snaking against someone good, they'd probably get owned even if the other player didn't snake. Precise placement of MTs, and keeping as straight of a path as possible added a lot of depth to that game, which I'm glad it had.

...I've argued with too many anti-snakers lol >_>

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Hey I like to pick up advanced techs as much as anybody. I just want everyone else to have fun. Playing to win is an entirely different story. But I don't really get into that zone outside of fighting games with random people.

I will say this. If L-canceling can be restored via this method. I will certainly be all over this project and hook my friends up with this as well.

Also Mr leafgreen: Anti-snakers will always claim, but will often lie their *** off. Many people will be anti anything if they can't do it or don't know how to apply it well.

Maybe some day there will be a time someone doesn't want something abolished because they suck at it. :laugh:

Of course who am I kidding. :embarrass

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Rampage, that was pretty immature.

If we changed the shield, we'd have to change the timing. Perfect shielding is so ridiculously easy, it doesn't really merit doing that.

And Smash is not one of them.

Also, how come you guys put more effort towards making Brawl Melee instead of putting that energy towards learning how to play Brawl.
The energy it takes to learn Brawl is negligible, at best. We have energy to spare. That's why we're doing this. I know that I'm looking to pick up GG soon, just so I have something to practice, as far as fighting games go. Brawl, just camp and space. Nothing to practice there.

MB64

Smash Rookie
JUST GET USED TO THE WAY BRAWL PLAYS.

Just because its not exactly like Melee doesn't mean its not as competitive or whatever. Melee had a different feel than Smash 64 and Brawl has a different feel than Melee.

I understand taking out tripping but that's it. Changing the gravity, lag etc? WTF? If it applies to both people how does that make it less viable for competitive play?

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
A lot of new users appearing just to beat down on this thread. /v/ must be on fire.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
Anyone getting MGS4?

You know what's fun about Sneaking Mode?

Ever wondered what it's like to be one of those guards instead of Snake?

Well you can with Sneaking Mode(in MGS4 Online).

15v1, Snake one shots everyone while Snake can take 100 headshots before dying.

Of course, everyone but Snake respawns after 5 seconds, Snake has to play "Capture the flag", where he has to grab a "Flag"(Guarded by the players) and take it to a location.

Anyway, I liked playing Sneaking mode in MGS3 Online. It's pretty fun to play as the guards instead of playing as Snake once in a while. Of course, the only "balanced" map was the "Mountaintop" map. Other maps, Snake wasr too strong (because it was a big map) and he could camp all the time.

Well, hope Sneaking mode is just as fun as MGS4 and in MGS3 online.

lollerskater

Smash Cadet
How has this thread reached 13 pages? This is a terrible idea and a complete waste of time.

There's so many things wrong with your idea that it'd be pointless to go over them all (and some of you probably already have).

To briefly summarize what's wrong with changing the games physics and hitstun: Just think about Olimars recovery. Do you realize how useless his tether recovery would be if he was playing under melee's physics? THE CHARACTERS ATTACKS/RECOVERIES WERE BALANCED FOR BRAWL'S PHYSICS. CHANGING THOSE PHYSICS WOULD MAKE THE GAME EVEN MORE UNBALANCED AND LESS COMPETITIVE.

And if anyone is getting ready to retort with "Well then we'll just modify every character's moves to be properly balanced under the new physics engine.", then some of the people on this board are even dumber than I thought. Good luck with that.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper

Noodleboy111

Smash Rookie
Anyone getting MGS4?

You know what's fun about Sneaking Mode?

Ever wondered what it's like to be one of those guards instead of Snake?

Well you can with Sneaking Mode(in MGS4 Online).

15v1, Snake one shots everyone while Snake can take 100 headshots before dying.

Of course, everyone but Snake respawns after 5 seconds, Snake has to play "Capture the flag", where he has to grab a "Flag"(Guarded by the players) and take it to a location.

Anyway, I liked playing Sneaking mode in MGS3 Online. It's pretty fun to play as the guards instead of playing as Snake once in a while. Of course, the only "balanced" map was the "Mountaintop" map. Other maps, Snake wasr too strong (because it was a big map) and he could camp all the time.

Well, hope Sneaking mode is just as fun as MGS4 and in MGS3 online.
Awesome. I think I'm going to sell my Wii and Gamecube for a PS3 now.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere in Japan, the team that worked so hard to bring you Brawl is crying.
Actually, if I had to guess, they're rolling in bed with their billions of yen made from the game being sold.

Sierra Wolf

Smash Rookie
Meh, sounds like a decent idea. What I really like is the added SSE stages for Vs. Mode, and removal of tripping. Other than that, I don't really like the idea of trying to make Brawl into Melee, but you can do what you want, I'm not gonna bash you like some of the other people in this topic. To more competitive players, I'm sure it's a great idea. I'm not into huge competitive tournaments, so I think it'd just confuse me. But I really would love those SSE stages. :D

Tatsujinken

Smash Journeyman
I'd love to remove tripping from the game, but I don't think I'd want to change all the other stuff.

Also the game should be played however the **** the player wants to play it, etc.

ICANTCOUNT123456

Smash Journeyman
You all are a bunch of children. This probobly the MOST pathetic thing I've ever seen. I've seen suicide notes, and compared to this they're like ****ing Arthur. I feel very sorry for you all. I also cannot wait until Nintendo does a system update to brick you alls Wii's. NEWSFLASH: YOU ARE NOT THE CENTER OF THE SMASH COMMUNITY.

What, so when SSB4 comes out, I guarentee that you will all compare it to Melee "omg no advanced techs" SSB has two ****ing attack buttons. It's supposed to be simple.

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
ICANTCOUNT123456 said:
You all are a bunch of children. This probobly the MOST pathetic thing I've ever seen. I've seen suicide notes, and compared to this they're like ****ing Arthur. I feel very sorry for you all. I also cannot wait until Nintendo does a system update to brick you alls Wii's. NEWSFLASH: YOU ARE NOT THE CENTER OF THE SMASH COMMUNITY.

What, so when SSB4 comes out, I guarentee that you will all compare it to Melee "omg no advanced techs" SSB has two ****ing attack buttons. It's supposed to be simple.
Don't like it, don't play with us. Your negativity is unwarranted and childish.

We play the game how we want, and you play the game how you want, if that concept is too hard for you to grasp then maybe you don't belong here.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman

Are you saying that because you were flamed when you made that one other topic?

Anyway, I am sorry that you got flamed but anyway the point of the goal of the project is to make the gameplay experience similar to Melee, not to "put people down".

Some people liked Melee a lot and enjoyed the gameplay a lot.

Modifying games is itself not illegal.("Having paid Nintendo a fair return, the consumer may experiment with the product and create new variations of play, for personal enjoyment, without creating a derivative work.")

So if anyone can edit the game to play it as they want to, they can, it's their game and they can do whatever they want to do with it.

Meh, sounds like a decent idea. What I really like is the added SSE stages for Vs. Mode, and removal of tripping. Other than that, I don't really like the idea of trying to make Brawl into Melee, but you can do what you want, I'm not gonna bash you like some of the other people in this topic. To more competitive players, I'm sure it's a great idea. I'm not into huge competitive tournaments, so I think it'd just confuse me. But I really would love those SSE stages. :D
Speaking of SSE stages, they should have included the Tabuu boss battle music in the "My Music" for Final Destination.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Yep.

http://zip.4chan.org/v/res/14531527.html

edit: I know that's a small thread, but they said there was another one made already. Couldn't find it, though. Freaking /v/ goes too fast.

edit2: http://zip.4chan.org/v/res/14527473.html

The original thread

Good.
About /v/

The problem is, and few understand this, is why the heck are you guys trying to recreate Brawl rather then play it. There is potential to Brawl and if need be I can show it (have to find it again). Again, if you want to play Melee, play Melee. Brawl is what it is. It has it's flaws but so does Melee. Someone put it best by saying
I like Brawl better then I like Street Fighter. Doesn't mean I try to change SF into Brawl

ShoMakahari

Smash Rookie
There's one argument in this topic that keeps reappearing and it really ticks me off:
"Let us play the game how we want."

That's like saying unban all hackers in online games in general and let them run rampant throughout the servers.

You see where this is going?

There's a limit to how people, " will play the game how they want." The difference between casuals and competitives, that's fine, cause they both play the same game.
But if we're going into modifying just about everything that makes the game for what it is( and keep in mind, this game has been out for a mere few months, I agree with those people that say give it time if you want advanced techniques so badly) then I say that its just about the same thing as someone hacking an online game and abusing everything.

I guess if you keep it to an even closer knit community('cause you know how huge the competitive scene is, about 50 million people, right? = / ) than the regular brawl community, I guess have fun with your 5 man tournies and diverting more people away from the actual game.

And if you really want Melee 1.5, you could always program your own game from scratch with similar physics...

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Bad analogy, Sho. It's like saying let the hackers play on their own private servers.

Better yet, it's like Blizzard did with Diablo II. Open Bnet is hacker central, and everyone knows it. Closed Bnet is where everyone has to work for what their characters get hooked up with. We wanna play open, you wanna play closed. Simple as that. Let us do what we want. You do what you want.

WestCoastNinja

Smash Cadet
I cant believe people are actually considering moding brawl for "better" competitive play.

Well it dosent consern me much really. When I get brawl I will mostly fight people I know from my forums and people on GB.

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
Quick question, texture modifications. Possible or not?

If so, it could mean more backgrounds for the Stage Builder, meaning we can actually recreate Safron City more accurately :D

Of course, it could just be wishful thinking.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking about that also. If some how you could change the path to textures located on game disc in memory to a path to custom textures located on the wii flash memory, maybe the game would load those textures instead, if they were formatted correctly. Though this opens up more problems to deal with. You would need to figure out how files are referenced in Brawl, what formatting textures would need to be stored in, how and where to save on the wii flash memory, etc.

If you managed to get this working, you might even be able to make custom characters and well built stages by importing custom textures and splicing moves and other level properties together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom