• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

USB Gecko is the new Action Replay! (added potential goals)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
It was never designed with people like you in mind. Brawl was designed against you, because your ways of playing are the complete wrong ways of playing it and Sakurai had recognized that.
There is no right or wrong way to play a game. Games are not made with rules of any kind, that if they're broken a ref is going to tell you that you have to stop, or have someone come to your house and arrest you. There may be a right and wrong way to play a game within a certain ruleset, but when you get the game, the game is yours, free to do whatever and play however you want with it.

This goes to everyone who thinks it's somehow immoral to hack this game and play a modded version.

YourAverageJoe

Smash Rookie
Hey, you're right! I'm playing SSB right now, and I just jumped down the nearest pit just for the sake of it! I'm playing it because I'm doing something in it!

Oooh! Next time I'll just leave the controller on the floor before starting a match for 3 hours! That sure sounds exciting!

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Hey, you're right! I'm playing SSB right now, and I just jumped down the nearest pit just for the sake of it! I'm playing it because I'm doing something in it!

Oooh! Next time I'll just leave the controller on the floor before starting a match for 3 hours! That sure sounds exciting!
Now you get it. If for whatever psychotic reason you enjoy the game doing that, no one's stopping you.

Veg_smashed

Smash Apprentice
Good in theory... it might get to small groups.. maybe a couple..

But it will not go further than that..

in my opinion... this is a game.. made by nintendo for the sake of playing and battling

The better one will win of course.. Tripping is one of those things you just must be quick with and in any situation adapt and overcome.

only the weak would say this game is not competitive..

any game is competitive.. think about it ffs

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Good in theory... it might get to small groups.. maybe a couple..

But it will not go further than that..

in my opinion... this is a game.. made by nintendo for the sake of playing and battling

The better one will win of course.. Tripping is one of those things you just must be quick with and in any situation adapt and overcome.

only the weak would say this game is not competitive..

any game is competitive.. think about it ffs
Any game can be competitive. Flipping coins and seeing who gets more heads can be competitive. That doesn't mean it's good for competition.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Oh Noes!

Brawl doesn't let you edit the game play mechanics with its own editor!
Shocker =0

Maybe they did that for a reason?
And Starcraft's default editor let you stack resources, stack buildings, and had the level of trigger complexity that was enjoyed at a high-end level of map-making, right?

Nah. Nah, it didn't. It was good, but it wasn't complete, either, so the players took it into their own hands to complete the map editor, and a wealth of amazing, unrivaled maps were born.

There was a reason, yeah, and that reason is that developers aren't perfect. They leave out things that might've satisfied their players sometimes. We can pick up the slack for them, sometimes, though. Why shouldn't we?

Also to you, but in response to another post, there's no evidence to say for sure that this would create problems online. Regardless of whether or not it will, this project itself has nothing to do with any "cheating" that players might try to do with game-editing devices like Gecko. Gecko already exists, and anyone who wants to use it to cheat, assuming that they can, can do so whether or not this project is pursued or not. This project itself, however, has no interest in "cheating" online, so your concerns in that area are misplaced.

Just because cheaters and modders might use the same tool doesn't make them both guilty of the same crimes. If people start using it to cheat, yell at them, not the people who don't use it to cheat. Our use of Gecko does not enable others' use of Gecko. They can cheat with it just as easily regardless of the existence and progress of this project.

@SmashChu, because we've already played Melee. We'd like to play something a little different, a little better, but still similar in core concept. We'd like to play Melee's sequel, quite frankly. A real sequel. Before you even say it, lemme just jump ahead of you: We didn't get a real sequel, no, we got a different game: Brawl. That's fine. Brawl's fine. We'd still like to play Melee's sequel, though.

@Noodleboy, who cares? Even if our way of playing was the "complete wrong way to play," it was pretty obvious that we enjoyed playing that way, right. So is it so hard to believe we'd like to keep playing that way? Not in the least. If you don't like the idea, AWESOME!!! You play the way you want, we'll do the same. Why do we have to accept Nintendo's brutalization of our way of playing if we have the power to restore that way of playing? If I get the wrong food in a restaurant, I don't have to eat that food. I can send it back and get what I ordered. *laughs* Why do we have to accept anything? Why, if we have the power to change something, should we accept it as is?

YourAverageJoe

Smash Rookie
Remember: There are plenty of fighters geared towards serious competitive gaming, the most prominent are Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Street Fighter 3 Third Strike and the Guilty Gear games. While the "techniques" used by Melee tourneygoers are at best debatable and at worst outright glitching, the "comparable" techniques used by professional competitors of SSF2T, SF3T and Guilty Gear are endorsed by their respective companies, communities and official communities.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Remember: There are plenty of fighters geared towards serious competitive gaming, the most prominent are Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Street Fighter 3 Third Strike and the Guilty Gear games. While the "techniques" used by Melee tourneygoers are at best debatable and at worst outright glitching, the "comparable" techniques used by professional competitors of SSF2T, SF3T and Guilty Gear are endorsed by their respective companies, communities and official communities.
So let me get this straight. You are not a SRK person (because you didn't know what that is), but you still have the SAME ideals of what is the best fighting games there. Not only, you share the same thinking that Melee was some kind of party game gone horribly wrong with some glitches. The only thing missing is that you should be treating GG more as an outcast from the all mighty SF series and you seem to be hell bent on creator's intent (although I have noticed that people in SRK seem to be more into creator's intent thing now ."Default mode is god" seems to be what I hear for Brawl over there >_>). LOL at glitches you are funny. You must be a scrub in your fighting game community.

Enough of my ad hominem bashing you though, your logic makes no sense for why Brawl can't be modded. Sakurai didn't want a deep game so he made it shallow...what does this have to do with modding game? Since when did we actually listened to the creator's intent while MODDING a game? That is illogical. If you are implying that Brawl is not worth making a mod to make it competitive, maybe but why does this matter except that it will waste the time of those making it? If you are saying play more "serious fighters", then people would have done that advocating this wouldn't they instead of modding the game.

The purpose of modding a game is to play the game how you want. How the **** Sakurai's attempt at making Brawl not "serious" and Capcom's fighter game design has anything to do with anything I have no idea. Just tell the Street Fighter 2 community to not mod Street Fighter 2, again. Man, I love the SRK community. Where they think Street Fighter 2 is actually one of the deepest fighters out there. LOL Definitely some years ago, but projectile spam, simple infinites, and poking don't hold up like they did awhile ago. PS. Super Turbo is the standard for SF 2 tournies not Turbo. GOOD JOB!

Anarkex

Smash Cadet
As much as it is enticing to shut down tripping, as soon as you start playing god you won't be satisfied with anything. People who genuinely like Brawl will find ways to enjoy playing it the way it is, and you should stop trying to change what little competitive scene it has into something it's not. If you really don't like it to the point that you have to cheat the game to make it fun, you should gb2 melee and spare the people who really do enjoy Brawl for what it is.

EDIT: Oh, and before you say stuff all "this doesn't impact you, etc." it kinda does. If this does catch on, it will be the preferred method of play for pretentious wads like you. There are TONS of pretentious wads like you, and that's tons of wads I won't get to fight on even footing because they refuse to play the game the way it was meant to be played. Not only that, but plenty of obnoxious kids will do the exact same thing to prove how hardcore they are (these are the same kids who keep picking Final Destination and shutting off items in With Everyone, for crying out loud). Next thing you know, Real Brawl will hardly have anyone playing it at all, and I'm the one who's going to be forced to adjust if I want any real competition.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
i cant think of any fanmod of a game that has been played competitevly, you fill me in
Counter Strike... It was a mod of a mod for fux sake.

DOTA (or something like that) a warcraft 3 (I think) mod that is like the standard for competitive.

Back in the day Doom was modded intensely for competitive matches.

Boxob

Smash Champion
As much as it is enticing to shut down tripping, as soon as you start playing god you won't be satisfied with anything. People who genuinely like Brawl will find ways to enjoy playing it the way it is, and you should stop trying to change what little competitive scene it has into something it's not. If you really don't like it to the point that you have to cheat the game to make it fun, you should gb2 melee and spare the people who really do enjoy Brawl for what it is.

EDIT: Oh, and before you say stuff all "this doesn't impact you, etc." it kinda does. If this does catch on, it will be the preferred method of play for pretentious wads like you. There are TONS of pretentious wads like you, and that's tons of wads I won't get to fight on even footing because they refuse to play the game the way it was meant to be played. Not only that, but plenty of obnoxious kids will do the exact same thing to prove how hardcore they are (these are the same kids who keep picking Final Destination and shutting off items in With Everyone, for crying out loud). Next thing you know, Real Brawl will hardly have anyone playing it at all, and I'm the one who's going to be forced to adjust if I want any real competition.
I forgot real competition meant random matches on non neutral stages with items on for two minutes. I must be doing it wrong.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Remember: There are plenty of fighters geared towards serious competitive gaming
And Smash is not one of them.

Also, how come you guys put more effort towards making Brawl Melee instead of putting that energy towards learning how to play Brawl.

Nainsell

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, shut the **** up.

No one's forcing you to play this way.

Edit: Hey Guys Let's Capitalize Every First Letter Of Each Word?
Who's the one who tried typing in all caps?

Oh, right. You.

Typing in caps != screaming. It can denote plenty of things, such as tongue-in-cheek sarcasm. Swearing, on the other hand, is quite immature. Though, I wouldn't expect you to do such critical thinking as to come to the conclusion I merely used common sense to attain just now.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
I don't approve of this.

Why?

Someone might use this thing to put snaking in Mario Kart Wii.

Anything competitively online in the DS is hardly fun due to cheating. I'd rather that see that on the Wii. If you can do this in closed groups and not have this spread, it's fine, but at the same time it would be limited to people.

As much as I'd like a more offensive game in Brawl (tripping really doesn't bother me, it saved me more times than screwing me over), I don't like the idea of the long term results.

Anarkex

Smash Cadet
I forgot real competition meant random matches on non neutral stages with items on for two minutes. I must be doing it wrong.
I was saying the kids who do that stuff in With Everyone are the same ones who are going to do this. Next thing I know I'll need one of these code machines just to play friend codes with someone, is what I'm saying.

A friend of mine told me her little brother is really into Brawl, and I'm all excited. So I get his friend code, and he insists on playing final destination every fecking match. One of his taunts was set to "NO ITEMS NOOB" for crissakes. He's a 10 year old kid. He wasn't even very good, but he thought this crap made him hardcore.

If I thought this was limited to you guys, I'd let it go, but it's not. you'll be prancing around, praising this as the ultimate game, and all the little sheep who used to be somewhat fun to play with are going to follow you. You'll talk down to anyone who doesn't play the game your way, and that will be the end of that.

Seriously, if that's what happens, I'M gonna go back to playing Melee, just to separate myself from you.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Typing in caps != screaming. It can denote plenty of things, such as tongue-in-cheek sarcasm. Swearing, on the other hand, is quite immature. Though, I wouldn't expect you to do such critical thinking as to come to the conclusion I merely used common sense to attain just now.
You were being sarcastic? REALLY? It doesn't matter whether you were shouting a regular comment or sarcasm. You were still typing in all caps, and witty comments don't make you any more correct than yelling does. Good job hypocrite.

Nainsell

Smash Rookie
You were being sarcastic? REALLY? It doesn't matter whether you were shouting a regular comment or sarcasm. You were still typing in all caps, and witty comments don't make you any more correct than yelling does. Good job hypocrite.
I am sorry, sir, but I am not a hypocrite simply for pointing out that screaming and being rude alone does not prove any point. I don't understand why this is so difficult for you to comprehend, so I'll explain it with the most detail possible with the shortest words allowed to me.

I said "Play Melee instead of trying to make Brawl Melee." That is a statement with a point to it. Saying it's invalid because I typed it in all caps is incorrect. Saying making it all caps doesn't add to it's value as an argument is correct.

In the same sense, telling people to shut the "****" up is akin to typing in all caps. It adds no valuable argument, and since there is no argument it has no inherent value to this conversation.

Do you understand, now?

The Crotch

Smash Cadet
I can't believe that there are so many complaints about this. Myself, I like Brawl. Okay, I love Brawl. I prefer it to Melee in general. However, I also consider it a game with a lot of faults. If people wish to inject a bit of Melee to fix up the flaws in Brawl, more power to 'em.

Elen

Smash Lord
Althought turning brawl into melee sounds ridiculous, this is exactly the type of project I'm interested in looking into. Hopefully as this concept becomes more stable, we can assemble a team and see what can be done with this.

This also brings another idea to mind. This can implement binary into BOTH Wii and Gamecube games. That means, we could in the distant future, take a crack at character or stage modding for melee. I realize the game is already the essence of perfection ;), but maybe it'd be worth it just for kicks.

RuroKami

Smash Rookie
This is the most pathetic thing I've ever seen on this board. Smash Bros. is a party game. Brawl was designed with that in mind. Go back to Melee with your CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK and pretend you're having fun.

In before "hurrr this doesn't affect you don't post". People in Africa dying of AIDs doesn't affect me but I'm still allowed to have an opinion on it.

Tujex

Smash Ace
This wouldn't work. Yeah, maybe for the tourney scene....but for those who play simply for fun over wifi...it'd be terrible. Every other match you'd be facing Ike's who run like Sonic....or a Sonic whose attacks are instakills or some random junk like that.

And something that alters the games coding SO much has to have some sort of drawback to it. Freezing, lagging, or something, right?

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
What do you mean unfortunately? I don't want to be forced to play Melee Online when I want to play Brawl.
This wouldn't work. Yeah, maybe for the tourney scene....but for those who play simply for fun over wifi...it'd be terrible. Every other match you'd be facing Ike's who run like Sonic....or a Sonic whose attacks are instakills or some random junk like that.

And something that alters the games coding SO much has to have some sort of drawback to it. Freezing, lagging, or something, right?
First of all, if Wii games can be modded or play over online with Action Replay-type devices, then you won't be worrying about playing Melee Online, you'll be worrying about people cheating or your Wii freezing up.

Mario Kart DS - There are so many action replay users online. You'll notice when you see 10 Blue Shells start flying at you(and this is before the race even started), or dozen of items being used in a row. Anyway, your Nintendo DS could freeze if someone spammed Blue Shells.

It's up to Nintendo to make sure their online services/games aren't easily "Action Replayable".

Though, it shouldn't be a problem. The DS doesn't have any updates or anything so they can't patch things like AR devices out. The Wii does have updates.

So as far as I know, the "modded Brawl" will only be limited to "local" players and not over online play.

I was saying the kids who do that stuff in With Everyone are the same ones who are going to do this. Next thing I know I'll need one of these code machines just to play friend codes with someone, is what I'm saying.

A friend of mine told me her little brother is really into Brawl, and I'm all excited. So I get his friend code, and he insists on playing final destination every fecking match. One of his taunts was set to "NO ITEMS NOOB" for crissakes. He's a 10 year old kid. He wasn't even very good, but he thought this crap made him hardcore.

If I thought this was limited to you guys, I'd let it go, but it's not. you'll be prancing around, praising this as the ultimate game, and all the little sheep who used to be somewhat fun to play with are going to follow you. You'll talk down to anyone who doesn't play the game your way, and that will be the end of that.

Seriously, if that's what happens, I'M gonna go back to playing Melee, just to separate myself from you.
Now, I understand how you feel but a couple of things I'd like to point out:

1. This is the internet, there will ALWAYS be people like that. Whether you're playing online Uno, or playing Brawl Online, or playing any game, there will always be people like that.

2. It's already going on with Brawl, there are already people who are very insulting, very "elitist", etc to anyone who loses to them or to anyone who plays the game with items or stuff.

3. Also I'd like to point out that people are doing this for their own enjoyment and not to simply "put down anyone".

I don't approve of this.

Why?

Someone might use this thing to put snaking in Mario Kart Wii.

Anything competitively online in the DS is hardly fun due to cheating. I'd rather that see that on the Wii. If you can do this in closed groups and not have this spread, it's fine, but at the same time it would be limited to people.

As much as I'd like a more offensive game in Brawl (tripping really doesn't bother me, it saved me more times than screwing me over), I don't like the idea of the long term results.
Actually, as far as I know, it shouldn't affect anything online or any other people unless Action Replay-like devices can work online but it's up to Nintendo to prevent AR from working online.

Though, I don't get what everyone hates about Snaking though. Snaking is not too hard to do, and it's really fun IMO, it adds some more depth to the game(IMO). Just holding the gas button and steering a little bit and occasionally shooting items isn't much fun for me.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
This is the most pathetic thing I've ever seen on this board. Smash Bros. is a party game. Brawl was designed with that in mind. Go back to Melee with your CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK and pretend you're having fun.

In before "hurrr this doesn't affect you don't post". People in Africa dying of AIDs doesn't affect me but I'm still allowed to have an opinion on it.
Reported for great justice.

Smooth Criminal

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
I am sorry, sir, but I am not a hypocrite simply for pointing out that screaming and being rude alone does not prove any point. I don't understand why this is so difficult for you to comprehend, so I'll explain it with the most detail possible with the shortest words allowed to me.

I said "Play Melee instead of trying to make Brawl Melee." That is a statement with a point to it. Saying it's invalid because I typed it in all caps is incorrect. Saying making it all caps doesn't add to it's value as an argument is correct.

In the same sense, telling people to shut the "****" up is akin to typing in all caps. It adds no valuable argument, and since there is no argument it has no inherent value to this conversation.

Do you understand, now?
I understood from the start that you never once put up a viable argument. You never once gave a reason why people shouldn't go through with this, instead just giving a blanket statement of your opinion, with nothing to support it. You're a hypocrite because you gave an argument with no substance, which after someone told you to shut up that their argument held no substance. When your same argument has been refuted countless times in this thread, and then you give the bare bones version, there is no reason any of us should have to waste our time trying to counter it.

SmashChu said:
Also, how come you guys put more effort towards making Brawl Melee instead of putting that energy towards learning how to play Brawl.
Actually that's been answered several times already in this thread. People like brawl, but just don't like certain aspects of it. Is it their fault that they want something new, a sequel of melee, but instead got a completely different game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom