• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

USB Gecko is the new Action Replay! (added potential goals)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
People don't take years out of their lives to make a game, so others can find a hack and turn it into an improved version of the same game they created a few years back.
To reply your statement, people usually take years out of their lives to make a game so it can sell well and make a profit and also be a game that anyone can enjoy. Whether Sakurai really cares about people modding his game or not, we don't know.

About your statement, it depends on the intention or mindset of the developer.

The Sims 1 and 2 are basically made so that it can be easily editable. There are so many hacks and mods for the game, Maxis(The company that makes the game) fully supports these hacks and mods for the game by making it easier to edit the game and add new stuff.

Same with Valve and Half Life(Counter-strike is a heavily modded version of Half Life developed by fans of the game, now it's one of the most popular online games today. Valve now owns Counter-Strike because they bought it out from the team who created the mod).

Blizzard with Starcraft and Warcraft 3 are also moddable(Warcraft 3 can be modded into a Mario Kart like racing game, thanks to their easy to use powerful map editor, WC3 can be edited easily).

Anyway SSBB isn't meant to be modded and in general game sharks or game modifying devices aren't supported by Nintendo(or Sony, or Microsoft). Though modifying games is itself not illegal.("Having paid Nintendo a fair return, the consumer may experiment with the product and create new variations of play, for personal enjoyment, without creating a derivative work.")

Well I hope this project works out well. I like mods, I still play Final Fantasy Tactics because of the modding/hacking community. With programs that allows me to edit nearly everything about Final Fantasy Tactics, I still find ways to make it fun and refreshing.

Also Super Mario World is still widely played today because of mods and hacks for the game.

Anyway to repeat what others have said in the thread, "If you don't want to play Brawl as Melee 2.0, then you don't have to".

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Goals 1-2 are attainable, the rest might as well be considered a dream. Auto ledge sweet spotting can't really be changed because it's not like there are ledge stats/values. For hitstun, there is a value given. Same applies for tripping (the random kind of tripping) and whatnot.

My adbvice for tripping: Basically, you'd have to find the folder with the tripping mechanic. Find the value that says trip-dash (I think that's what it's callled), and set it's value to zero. After doing this, you'd have to set tripping on ice and other slippery surfaces to zero as well. Obviously, Diddy's bananas would not be affected by this.

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to say this regardless of how many times it's been said and blown off;

Modding a game so it can be played in the same way as another game is just freaking sad. It's not like you care about the new content of the game anyway, Melee still has final destination.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I'm going to say this regardless of how many times it's been said and blown off;

Modding a game so it can be played in the same way as another game is just freaking sad. It's not like you care about the new content of the game anyway, Melee still has final destination.
Spoken like a true scrub.

Taymond

Smash Journeyman

Better go tell all the CounterStrike and DotA players they're just freaking sad.

And players who play custom rules maps on SC or War3 or any other game with a decent map editor.

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
Why bring L-canceling back? Unlike wavedashing and dash-dancing, it is a technique that only requires finger-skills, and no strategic thinking, because you use it for every aerial attack. Instead of L-canceling, I think it would be better to only increase the hit- and shield stun to prevent shieldgrabbing for example.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Goals 1-2 are attainable, the rest might as well be considered a dream. Auto ledge sweet spotting can't really be changed because it's not like there are ledge stats/values. For hitstun, there is a value given. Same applies for tripping (the random kind of tripping) and whatnot.
Things like autoledge grab CAN be disabled.
However in order to do such a thing would require a complicated ASM hacknwhich would take some time to develop.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Good luck with this. If it turns out to be something with fruitful results (and my mains end up being good with the new system :) ) I might look into buying one. But I don't know the first thing about hacking so I'm no help. Good luck though. I would love to see Brawl with no tripping and some hitlag.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Things like autoledge grab CAN be disabled.
However in order to do such a thing would require a complicated ASM hacknwhich would take some time to develop.
I dunno, might be more simple than that. If you hold down during your recovery, it disables auto-sweetspot. There might be a way to make that a permanent thing.

Eturnus_Frost

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1990-3003-7432
Better go tell all the CounterStrike and DotA players they're just freaking sad.

And players who play custom rules maps on SC or War3 or any other game with a decent map editor.
Hmm, yeah, its not like Brawl came with its own Custom Map Editor or anything.

Eturnus_Frost

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1990-3003-7432
Their custom map editor allowed them to change gameplay mechanics. Ours doesn't do ****.
Oh Noes!

Brawl doesn't let you edit the game play mechanics with its own editor!
Shocker =0

Maybe they did that for a reason?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
What would this do to characters with multiple jumps? I know the jumps are pretty useless when the gravity is high [unless I'm thinking about metal brawl, I can't remember] so that might make certain characters useless. Small price to pay I suppose. I hope it works out for you guys because I've just about given up on Brawl.

Eturnus_Frost

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1990-3003-7432
What would this do to characters with multiple jumps? I know the jumps are pretty useless when the gravity is high [unless I'm thinking about metal brawl, I can't remember] so that might make certain characters useless. Small price to pay I suppose. I hope it works out for you guys because I've just about given up on Brawl.
Only after 3 Months?

Heres what I think: Everyone should give the **** game a chance, like the transitioning from Smash 64 to Melee.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Oh Noes!

Brawl doesn't let you edit the game play mechanics with its own editor!
Shocker =0

Maybe they did that for a reason?
Probably, cause it would be too expensive to program all that **** so you could mess around with the game without making it crash. =/ Or are you one of those "Sakurai is teh creator so dun mess with his vision lulz."

Only after 3 Months?

Heres what I think: Everyone should give the **** game a chance, like the transitioning from Smash 64 to Melee.
Uhhhh, no. I gave it a chance. A very big chance. The game is actually getting WORSE as time goes by. Why should I give it a chance if I don't like playing it?

Eturnus_Frost

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1990-3003-7432
Probably, cause it would be too expensive to program all that **** so you could mess around with the game without making it crash. =/ Or are you one of those "Sakurai is teh creator so dun mess with his vision lulz."

Uhhhh, no. I gave it a chance. A very big chance. The game is actually getting WORSE as time goes by. Why should I give it a chance if I don't like playing it?

Well, for one if you've played Melee, you'd know that the game is ****ing gargantuan.

Up until Brawl came out, I was still discovering things I never knew about before, and thats seven years of gameplay my friend.

Brawl is just as huge, therefor, for such a giant in depth game, you should give it a lot more time.

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is deep because Melee was deep, but we should not edit Brawl to be like Melee because its not intended? Your logic is astounding.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Only after 3 Months?

Except the 64-Melee transition actually added more gameplay elements. There was a little dispute when transitioning between the two, but most people moved on because Melee was clearly better.

Eturnus_Frost

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1990-3003-7432
Except the 64-Melee transition actually added more gameplay elements. There was a little dispute when transitioning between the two, but most people moved on because Melee was clearly better.
Exactly.

This topic is just 100% fabricated biased bull.

Boxob

Smash Champion
Exactly.

This topic is just 100% fabricated biased bull.
You're so right. Let me look at it your way, just to be fair.

Alright so I guess if I was ********, just like you, maybe I wouldn't have liked the transition from 64 to Melee. Too bad I'm not, and I did. D:

Eturnus_Frost

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1990-3003-7432
You're so right. Let me look at it your way, just to be fair.

Alright so I guess if I was ********, just like you, maybe I wouldn't have liked the transition from 64 to Melee. Too bad I'm not, and I did. D:

Such a clever comeback, my condolences.

And again, 100% biased.

antimatter

Smash Lord
this is pissing me off. you don't call someone ******** for supporting the changes from one game to the other. so what if it isnt as deep? quit complaining, and play melee if you hate brawl that much.

Boxob

Smash Champion
this is pissing me off. you don't call someone ******** for supporting the changes from one game to the other. so what if it isnt as deep? quit complaining, and play melee if you hate brawl that much.
Actually, I was just playing Melee :]

So what if it isn't as deep? Is that a serious question? I'm not even answering this.

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
You'd have to be pretty dumb to not realize that a game with more depth and replay value is a better game over all.
Everyone realizes that.

But not everyone believes that Brawl isn't as 'indepth' and 'replay-worthy' as Melee.

People have things called OPINIONS.

XEN2.0

Smash Rookie
Do u still not get the point, we like melee better than brawl, but there are aspects of brawl we like to:

Brawl: improved graphics, new characters, and online connection

Melee: better gameplay

So we are trying to get what we like of both and cobine them

S2

Smash Lord
This is an interesting project, but it will probably not have any more impact on the competitive community than say, what Rainbow Street Fighter 2 had on that competitive community.

Meaning, the only thing this is going to make is a small community that likes playing with the mod. The fact remains that most Melee players are going to simply stick with Melee, and most Brawl players dont' want the game to be retooled.

Boxob

Smash Champion
Then why are you trying so hard to make Brawl into Melee?

And, if you aren't, why are you in this freaking thread?
Because I look forward to a new game. By new, I also mean fun. Camping =/= fun. Brawl = Camping. Brawl = not fun. Get it?

Boxob

Smash Champion

You, good sir, are a ****ing moron.
And you, my feeble minded friend, are wrong. But hey at least Ike will fight for you.

How does it make me a moron? I never knew having less of a game to work with creates MORE depth. Please, enlighten me on as to how Brawl is a deeper game than Melee. Maybe then I won't be so ignorant as you insinuate I am.

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
Why I hate this so much is you whined and whined and whined and begged and hoped that Brawl would be the same ****ing game as Melee. 64 wasn't the same, so why should Melee be the same? Creators don't look at a game as an 'expansion pack', the creators wanted to make something new. This is what Brawl is. It's a DIFFERENT GAME.

Then, after your disappointment in the game being OH SO SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT BECAUSE FOX DOESN'T MOVE OR FALL AS FAST, you whine and whine and moan about it, then do your ****EDEST to make the game 'as competitive as Melee', even go so far as to modify the game engine itself to fit your needs.

If it's this much trouble, and you're THAT obsessed with Melee, JUST PLAY MELEE.

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
Please, enlighten me on as to how Brawl is a deeper game than Melee.
You cannot measure its deepness in a factual way because depth is an opinion.

The game has Fox as a playable character: that is a fact.
The game is fun: that is an opinion.
The game is deep: that is an opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom