• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

GoodleShoes

Smash Apprentice
1. No there is not a definite date. I am in close contact with the main Event Organizer, though. So as soon as the date is set, it will be posted here, and then I will make a thread for it.

2. Do you play any fighting games other than Smash? There's ton of tournaments going on all over you if you play any of the traditional fighters (street fighter, marvel, tekken and so on...) if youd rather not wait 4 months to attend something.
I'll keep an eye out for that date. Also, no. I'm not interested in other fighting games. Just not my thing.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
nintendude, this is where all the smasher discussion is.
buffalo will be hard to get housing for/in, but I may be able to hook something up for you. but whats going on in september?

james, to be honest, the only way to generate the kind of mass hype that youre referring to, at this point in time, is for the next game to come out. but you have a point in the whole where is san thing. Last I heard, he was going to Cornell U, but he should be back home in rochester for the summer now.

bcb, younger crew and interest is the way to go. thats where the new hype, talent, and numbers are going to be coming from. but yea dude, you old enough to travel on your own now so step that ish up.

Goodle, thats fine, just means youre going to have to wait a bit for a meaningful event. but Im looking forward to meeting you then.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I'm going to a wedding in Buffalo that weekend. If I fly in Thursday instead of Friday the flight is much cheaper, but it's not worth it if I have to get a hotel for myself for that extra night. I'd be flying into Buffalo in the late evening.

btw I would suggest you guys make a facebook group if you want to revive your scene. That's how my scene mainly interacts and it's far superior to smashboards for keeping in touch with the whole local community.

vitaro

Smash Rookie
hey guys whats up ^_^
my names Dan(Vitaro), and im from Buffalo NY! im just looking for some people to smash with, i play brawl but prefer melee =D so if anyone around WNY wants to smash or knows of any local tourneys please give me a heads up ^_^

thank you!

Nintendude

Smash Hero
we have an fgc page, and i personally dont see the point in making a page separate from that just for smash.
Well it depends on activity. MD/VA is so active that every smash game has their own facebook group. Merging them or even adding FGC would make it a big mess. If you would only want the group to be a place to advertise tournaments, then sure, use the FGC group. If however, people advertise smashfests and share content / discussions almost every day (as in MD/VA), it really does make sense to have a separate group. It makes it way easier for people to join our scene too.

Really, I'm just sad to see that WNY Smash is practically dead. Steps can be taken to revive it.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Just to clarify, (I just read about Dustbowl 7) the next one will be in Syracuse sometime in October? Is there a definite date? This will be my first tournament oh man I can't wait to get wrecked.
The official date for the next Dustbowl was announced last night. it will be taking place on October 19th.
All the info can be found here. https://www.facebook.com/events/268951946577309/269026293236541/?notif_t=like

AndI will most likely have a SWF thread up by today.

BetaBahamut

Smash Journeyman
Really, I'm just sad to see that WNY Smash is practically dead. Steps can be taken to revive it.
Yea man its sad. Almost nobody has the heart anymore ( Me included). Its not really anybody's fault, I guess people are just getting older or have more real **** to deal with. Either way it sucks.

Done, kinda surprised, Damus kinda made it appear that because of smash's low success it might not be coming back next time. If it was your doing that changed his mind, good shiz.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
well this one is going to be way bigger, so i feel better about asking out of state to come, as opposed to just having it be our region only.

I'll be in Syracuse, New York this weekend. Is there anything happening on Saturday there? I'm also interested in playing AE

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
www.facebook.com/kashaun.hayden

epsilon, hit that guy up for street fighter.

Sam,
the one in october? Honestly the turnout in region is pretty low right now. but if I can get you to confirm now, It will help A TON for helping me to get people to show up and build hype especially from out of state. plus itll be some really good competition for you in injustice as well.

BetaBahamut

Smash Journeyman
I'll be in Syracuse, New York this weekend. Is there anything happening on Saturday there? I'm also interested in playing AE
Sup zant mabye ill do something at my house we will see.

Sam,
the one in october? Honestly the turnout in region is pretty low right now. but if I can get you to confirm now, It will help A TON for helping me to get people to show up and build hype especially from out of state. plus itll be some really good competition for you in injustice as well.

I asked damus at dustbowl and he said the AE is mainly done by some Nick guy I couldnt figure out who it was but Im trying to.

Ironically I deactivated my account like a day before you said this

Sup zant mabye ill do something at my house we will see.

I asked damus at dustbowl and he said the AE is mainly done by some Nick guy I couldnt figure out who it was but Im trying to.

I wish things were less taken over by that site. It's dumb how tournament things are happening less on Smashboards and especially shoryuken. Shoryuken's tournament section is forever a disaster. It'll never be split up by region which would be so easy for finding tournaments. Oh, wait, sorry, that was a massive unnecessary tangent. I'll probably reactivate my facebook account

D

Deleted member

does anyone have a way to contact jesse? apparently he got a new phone number? can someone PM it to me? thanks guys.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
It would probably be Nick Demers.

Umbreon same thing goes to you. Facebook is the easiest way to get a hold of him.

and yea, i wish more people got on the forums. but eh, what are you gonna do?

Sharky

Smash Master
I got out of boot camp on friday and have been on hold waiting for a signature. I'm bound for sunny florida on monday. How's things in ny?

D

Deleted member

It would probably be Nick Demers.

Umbreon same thing goes to you. Facebook is the easiest way to get a hold of him.

and yea, i wish more people got on the forums. but eh, what are you gonna do?

I don't use facebook. Can anyone grab his number?

soma ghost

Smash Journeyman
he doesn't have a phone anymore. Contacting him is pretty much the only reason I use FB.

D

Deleted member

ok well someone please tell jesse morse to borrow a phone and to call me when he gets the chance.

571-344-5243.

i wouldn't be so pushy about it but it's pretty important and not related to smash at all.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Want to say a few things about Melee at EVO real quick.

I was largely absent from the internet exploding last night. But what I did notice was SCORES of people talking about how terrible of a company Nintendo is and how they haven't bought anything from them in 2-5 years, and then go on to talk about how they are screwing over their loyal customers and fans.
First of all, disapproval and disrespect are 2 different things and they do not have to be connected. I don't understand how people could be so angry and say that kind of stuff about a company that they claim to love so much. And on top of that, how are people calling themselves, 'loyal nintendo fans' if they supposedly haven't bought or liked anything they've put out in half a decade. Thats like me saying that Im a Taylor Swift, Lil' Wayne and Justin Beiber fans just because I like one song a piece from each of them.

Secondly, it seems like we need to have an honest conversation about the dynamics between the Brawl and Melee communities.
As a person who has been playing Smash in tournaments since 2005, I honestly don't understand why current Melee players feel the unstoppable compulsion to hate, degrade and disrespect Brawl at every possible opportunity. I feel like Melee players need to get off their high horse. Melee is a good game. Thats it. And the amount of blatent baseless hating and bashing that Brawl gets is unnecessary and does nobody any favors.
If it weren't for Brawl players having a sense of community and connection with every game in the series, Melee wouldn't even be in EVO to begin with. Without Brawl players, Melee wouldn't have donated enough money to beat Skullgirls in the donation drive. Without those Brawl kids, you think you would have gotten that many names and signatures on your petitions? Not even close. Most of the people that even play Melee now wouldn't be if it weren't for Brawl. So think about that the next time you feel like saying something ignorant about any Smash game.
To paraphrase my boy Ulysses Gallardo aka Dark Peach:
'Its hard to be proud and happy for them winning the battle when it's for a group of people that doesn't really deserve it.'

Moocow007

Smash Ace
Hi, any smashers here in the Hudson Valley? I'm about 45 minutes from Kingston and it would be cool to actually meet some players from around here.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
theres a bunch of good schools here in rochester, so I while i met some amazing people there, i would never intentionally tell someone to go to RIT unless they come from a very affluent family lol.

x13mako

Smash Ace
theres a bunch of good schools here in rochester, so I while i met some amazing people there, i would never intentionally tell someone to go to RIT unless they come from a very affluent family lol.
A family that has someone who already went.

edit: I'll be in the Long Island section come August. Should be interesting.

Top Bottom