• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
I think empirically you can come up with this:

1. San
2. Cura
3. Pikax2
4. Goggles
5/6. Vibe/JamesG (since they haven't played)
7. Pat
8-10 a jumbled mess of the rest of us

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
I think empirically you can come up with this:

1. San
2. Cura
3. Pikax2
4. Goggles
5/6. Vibe/JamesG (since they haven't played)
7. Pat
8-10 a jumbled mess of the rest of us
Talked to Cura, I'm okay with James G being above me.

so 1. san 2. cura 3. pikax2 4. goggles. 5. JG 6. Vibe 7. pat 8. Tyrant 9. SMM1 10. Calm [since I'm pretty sure you outplace TGS.]

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
Come to club tonight. I'm serious setting Tyrant for revenge, since he won't MM.

I've won two standard MM's against Pat this season too, now that I think about it. And a 3rd My Bowser v his Ganon.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Now that thats taken care of, back to things that actually matter

Question 1. the last tourney in NY before apex was Best this past weekend in albany. so no.

Question 2. we need to start taking a tally on our combined apex resources.

Who is going to be in the region that weekend?
Who has a car that is road trip ready?
Who wants to go?

So as far as I know. answer to number 2 is:

Neil if his brother doesnt flake again. (Rochester)
Sharky (Syracuse)
Frannie? (Syracuse)
Nightro (Rochester)
Altairian (albany)
Mako or MarioMan (Syracuse)

Confirm or deny?^^^

Also, anybody that wants to go to apex, post here and state your location.
Apex Attendance for NYS:

KID: Roc.
Pikax2: Roc.
San: Roc at that time.
SMM1: Roc.
James G: Syracuse
Sharky: Syracuse
Tyrant: Schenectady
Pyro: Jersey at the time.
10attendees

MetalPat

Smash Ace
tgs doesnt wanna be on PR anyway so no worries there.
also, i still think vibe is better than james G, just sayin. and though i will admit he beat me pretty bad at axs3, i definitely feel that if i played JG again it would be alot closer, maybe down to last hit.

thats just MY johns tho, ive never played a lucario and honestly had no idea what to expect.

aside from that, if we are considering only needing one tournament to be on PR, then we easily have lets say 35-40 people in our region and can easily make a 10 man Pr. no more of this 5 man bs.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
I will make it to Apex if I can. That's a monetary (and possibly time) commitment I can't make at the moment.

I'm busting out my Marth again more often too. I've gotten better with Marth by playing Vibe.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Man what's with you guys and being like "Marth cause vibe" A) My Marth is trash and B) Marth is a character you commit to, not just pick up. You'll get bodied by people who know the MU.

Also what do you mean brawl on monday? Where?

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
I meant by Monday I already wanted to play again. I just know general things you're supposed to do with him now, what works and doesn't. I used him on wifi a couple of days ago, and the results were better than I expected. It reminded me why I once mained him.

I was also looking at my 1st post in this thread. It was in the beginning of 2010 before I knew any of you. I was hoping people would start hosting in the Albany area, so that I could get into the scene. My things have changed.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
tgs doesnt wanna be on PR anyway so no worries there.
also, i still think vibe is better than james G, just sayin. and though i will admit he beat me pretty bad at axs3, i definitely feel that if i played JG again it would be alot closer, maybe down to last hit.

thats just MY johns tho, ive never played a lucario and honestly had no idea what to expect.

aside from that, if we are considering only needing one tournament to be on PR, then we easily have lets say 35-40 people in our region and can easily make a 10 man Pr. no more of this 5 man bs.
Well look, I respect and support all players in my region, and no offense to Vibe, I think he's great and has made some remarkable progress, and in fact could probably beat me at this time, but he's really gotta beat some top 4 players. I have accomplished this several times when I was active, defeating players like Goggles, Cura, and Dr. Grandpa.

And metal pat, you gotta provide proof and a solidified argument before making such assertions. You can't just say that I played James G and I felt I could've got closer with him => therefore Vibe > JamesG. I'm not even sure how this is relevant anyways, unless you think Vibe is better because he gave you a harder time than I did. Still though, that's quite the hasty conclusion, because there are way too many factors tying into individual matchups, and just because you can get closer to me than you can with Vibe still doesn't mean he is better.

Even Vibe beating me one on one doesn't neccessarily mean he is overall better, and this ties in with my point about individual matchups. If I'm able to beat players in the top 4 more frequently than him, or place significantly better at a large tournament, for instance, then I could still be considered the overall superior player. However, my response to this whole debate is: I have no clue who is better at this point, and further tournament data needs to be gathered, assuming that we are both even going to be active again, and I probably won't, so just give him the spot already lol.

Talked to Cura, I'm okay with James G being above me.

so 1. san 2. cura 3. pikax2 4. goggles. 5. JG 6. Vibe 7. pat 8. Tyrant 9. SMM1 10. Calm [since I'm pretty sure you outplace TGS.]
Wow, Cura talks to you? He won't even respond to any of my text messages.

But funny, I was going to say I was fine with you being above me. :cool:
It's whatever lol.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Well you already said that you didn't care, but I do feel like even your matches with James G and top players prove that you're just more experienced then me. I might money match you next time tho to see what's really up.

If you want I'm totally okay for just a 5/6 for both of us. lol.

For the most part, I'm just glad to see you come back to the scene. At this point I care more about the scene as an entirety than just my placing in it.

Also someone should come up with a good theme for the new PR.

Edit: I talk to Cura over facebook.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
So I might be able to actually get a tourney running over in Utica. I'd like to know how many people are interested, what a good time of the year for it to be in, and who would bring setups. I've volunteered with this lady who happens to work at a movie theater, and she had some CoD tourneys there before or something.

I don't have many details yet and it's unconfirmed, but at least Utica's a bit closer to CNY. I'm not sure how I feel about the location because I don't know where the setups would go in the theatre. But since it's been done before I can see it happening.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Its all kinda hard to determine. I made it a 5 man pr due to the obvious skill gap. At this point only people id be truly proud to have represent this region is San,myself and pikapika. We are the only ones that can really produce out of region anyways. And Dr grandpa when he was coming around. Goggles and james are good but havent really done anything out of state nor do they people anyone that cames in from other regions (ranked players that is).

To alter Goggles list.

S- Tier
San
Cura
Pikapika

A-Tier
Goggles
James

Top 10 is hard to do. Everyone below the top 5 are of very similar skill.

I have no problem being off the pr. I am attending apex. But going for mortal kombat and brawl doubles. Not going to enter singles or melee (though im currently best melee player in Central NY!!)

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
I really just want to know what month you guys would like this in. That's what I'm most concerned about. I'm thinking February/March

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
So I might be able to actually get a tourney running over in Utica. I'd like to know how many people are interested, what a good time of the year for it to be in, and who would bring setups. I've volunteered with this lady who happens to work at a movie theater, and she had some CoD tourneys there before or something.

I don't have many details yet and it's unconfirmed, but at least Utica's a bit closer to CNY. I'm not sure how I feel about the location because I don't know where the setups would go in the theatre. But since it's been done before I can see it happening.
I'd go pretty much any time.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Goggles and james are good but havent really done anything out of state nor do they people anyone that cames in from other regions (ranked players that is).
I guess top 48 at the last brawl national doesnt qualify as 'Anything'...

Ill give it to you tho. Youre very good at masking your bias.
I really just want to know what month you guys would like this in. That's what I'm most concerned about. I'm thinking February/March
Id go with the former

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Not sure how im biased im pretty sure my top 5 list is agreeable by everyone. And im pretty should ktar isnt really a brawl national? but im not sure if that what your referring.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Its good that you made it out of pools, but it really does is weed out the crap. If you can't perform in bracket doesnt really matter imo.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
It's definitely reasonable to say I'm a tier below San, PikaPika and Matt right now. The thing behind all of this, is I know what I can be if I put a good amout of dedication into this game and fix some of my flaws that have stayed with me ever since I started. And it's not like I'm too far...I honestly think I'm only a couple of key tweaks away from joining you three in that S tier. In addition, I believe with mk gone, I have even more of an opportunity to prove myself and can definitely be a force to reckon with at large and/or oos tournaments. The problem is, where can I find the time and energy for this type of dedication?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Psh, with mk banned even if neil kept going to tournaments, hed be trash. And I would easily be placing in the money at tourneys.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
honestly if you are trying to say the 5 man gap is the gap. there is also a ten man gap. same type of skill gap between 5 and ten than there is with 10 and the rest of the community. the same argument can be made for that, and the argument you made before (for bringing it to 5) is that there werent enough players. but since you are including extremely inactive players on the 5 man pr, then there should definitely be enough for a 10 man PR, with the skill gap being what it is after 10.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
except 5- 10 could be anybody up to about 8-9 people.
5-10 would easily (assuming 5 is JG)
6)vibe
7)metalpat
8)mauve
9)tyant
10)calm

smm1 is okay, but he is really hit or miss
sharky is a good player, but he has had some trouble at the last few tournaments
same as alt.
and tgs doesnt want to be on the PR and has been sandbagging.
so i guess they could potentially be considered but that top ten is pretty solid.

youd know this stuff if you made it to more than one nys tournament a year.

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman
Not sure how im biased im pretty sure my top 5 list is agreeable by everyone. And im pretty should ktar isnt really a brawl national? but im not sure if that what your referring.
Yeah I meant KTAR. I actually wasn't sure if KID was referring to that. I guess not thought.
After making it out of 2 rounds of stacked pools. Yes.
Which tourney?
Psh, with mk banned even if neil kept going to tournaments, hed be trash. And I would easily be placing in the money at tourneys.
How so?
5-10 would easily (assuming 5 is JG)

and tgs doesnt want to be on the PR and has been sandbagging.
I prefer to call it potato sacking.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
You can ask him yourself, at this point theres no way hed beat me if he didnt have an mk crutch to lean on.

Same goes for cura.

and the last brawl national was pound. unless you count LSC this past weekend. I dont.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
The level of skill required to use MK at a high level cannot be so far below that of any other character in the game to where calling him "a crutch" is at all fair to the people that use him.

Top Bottom