• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

BetaBahamut

Smash Journeyman
this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I think its time we get rid of the PR and just make this into a social thread. As is we have so little tournaments and the tournys we do have are disjointed and missing many people/low turnout. Plus many of our players are retiring/innactive. I suggested this last time the PR was updated, but I think its much more viable choice this time. I can certainly see us making a new one in the future if our scene picks up with more tournys/players.

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman
In the end, I don't really care if I'm even on this.
100x this.

this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I think its time we get rid of the PR and just make this into a social thread. As is we have so little tournaments and the tournys we do have are disjointed and missing many people/low turnout. Plus many of our players are retiring/innactive. I suggested this last time the PR was updated, but I think its much more viable choice this time. I can certainly see us making a new one in the future if our scene picks up with more tournys/players.
I agree with this. It seems silly to have a list of who is better than who at a video game. The game just isn't that black and white, there's so many gray areas of performance (most notably match ups and play styles). I think it would be far better to let the tournament results speak for themselves.

Besides, is figuring out who goes where and why they belong there something you really want to spend that much of your time on?

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
JG I haven't seen you in ages bro. That's my only problem. And I don't see how you can complain about your placing, then continue to say you don't care if you're on.

I personally think the PR would help keep the community going, since it's something to work towards. :|

We're pretty much entering an all time low for the community [at least for brawl]. We can't just take away it's structure, too.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Drawing logical conclusions from facts isn't complaining. I was saying if I were on the rankings, that's approximately where I should be. That doesn't mean I care about being on them.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Who the heck even cares about power rankings when you all know where you stand anyway? Pointless squabbling if you ask me, and I know a bit about PRs.

Also Tommy's list brings back great memories. Honored to be the 3rd strongest. I'll demonstrate the power of being third to you!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
quoting to state my agreement.
If that's the case, maybe we should wait until after APEX to fix the rankings.
same for this one.
Who the heck even cares about power rankings when you all know where you stand anyway? Pointless squabbling if you ask me, and I know a bit about PRs.

Also Tommy's list brings back great memories. Honored to be the 3rd strongest. I'll demonstrate the power of being third to you!
Based on the last page, clearly they DONT know where they stand.
But I just started getting involved D:
Sucks, doesnt it?
Dont worry so much about other people playing or not tho. Just worry about getting better at the game and learning all you can.

Sharky, im was going to give that guy damus your number because he announced his next tournament, but he decided to make it apex weekend... =/

Pat, the PR is to list who is best in what order as of the present. Not the future, not the past, the present. If somebody is retiring, but theyve been to the last 5 tourneys, you leave them on, until they start missing tourneys for the next ranking period and than you take them off.

I really dont feel like the whole philosophy of how this PR works, if you go back a few hundred pages youll probably be able to find my going through it in stupid detail somewhere in this thread.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
If I got the PR I would make it a top 8 PR

1. San
2. Cura for probably only 1 PR.
3. Goggles if he wants to be on
4. Me
5. SMM1
6. JamesG
7. Pat
8. TGS

Then assuming Cura/Goggles don't want to be on

9. Sharky
10. Calm/Tyrant

Edit: Also, I would do the PR off of just observation of multiple things and try to be as least bias as possible.
Wow, I have some sort of suggestion to be on it this early if the PR is expanded?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
and to cosign to my take a look back point, if you go exactly 500 pages back in this thread, youll see tommys first post here lol.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
and to cosign to my take a look back point, if you go exactly 500 pages back in this thread, youll see tommys first post here lol.
EDIT

More proof of that point.
Easily one of the 5 best posts in this thread
What exactly is wrong with my views? Rochester is such a tight community, everyone's made a big deal about it, you guys are bros etc. I get it.

What I'm trying to make you realize is that until you get your actual smash skill up to par, you shouldn't even think about how big your name (or ego) is. People in the small community around you know your name? That's cool, but why should it matter to anyone else in another region? Or even a few hours away?

Everyone in this region is chill; I enjoy the company of everyone at tournaments, but the disconnect between Wanting To Be The Best, and actual skill is so large that I can't help but make fun of you when you talk big then underperform at tournaments.

And honorable mention implies that you were close to making the PR like Pyro was. Perhaps you should put yourself under the "ordinary mention" category.
if you go back and read the conversation that this post was a part of, there was some Pr discussion there too.

Sharky

Smash Master
quoting to state my agreement.

same for this one.

Based on the last page, clearly they DONT know where they stand.

Sucks, doesnt it?
Dont worry so much about other people playing or not tho. Just worry about getting better at the game and learning all you can.

Sharky, im was going to give that guy damus your number because he announced his next tournament, but he decided to make it apex weekend... =/

Pat, the PR is to list who is best in what order as of the present. Not the future, not the past, the present. If somebody is retiring, but theyve been to the last 5 tourneys, you leave them on, until they start missing tourneys for the next ranking period and than you take them off.

I really dont feel like the whole philosophy of how this PR works, if you go back a few hundred pages youll probably be able to find my going through it in stupid detail somewhere in this thread.
wtffffff >.<

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
lol at being behind Sharky, despite consistently outplacing him and winning our last set at 4th Best. I think you would need to spend a little more time going over them results, Vibe.

The PR should come back, but at a time when there's more results and such, so that you don't have to make ridiculous judgment calls (placed the same as SMM at AXS 2, which is old news anyway. Outplaced him at AXS3 and he's a full 5 spots above me on your proposed PR). The point is, the PR is silly at the moment and not just for the fact that there's a big skill dropoff after Cura/Pikax2.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
We should also try to do what NJ does. You have to go to a certain amount of tourneys in the season. At least 2, 1 in-region might be best, with the amount of tournaments we hold, but if people step their game up and host more stuff it could be more. You must list all your wins and losses. Money matches should count as well as long as they're standard and not like low tiers/random or something.

If we outline this as what we're going to do for the next season, (probably Jan-May) it will hopefully give people drive to get better. On top of that, you could then make a much more empirical decision on who gets what spot.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Was thinking about giving this thread to Vibe but after that crack pr list its doubtful

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman
Aw I was so cute. Where does the time go?

But real question, how did you find that? Or did you just happen to click the button for the 500 hundred pages back? Or do you always click the 500 page back button? So many questions.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I made the point of looking through old conversations in the thread, and to illustrate that point i did it myself and clicked the button to go 500 pages back, randomly and read the page and it just happened to be the first time you posted.

also, cura, you might as well just give the thread back to me. Nobody else is ready for that kind of responsibilty. Not to mention the thread as a whole went down the crapper when I gave it to you to begin with.

TommyGreenShirt

Smash Journeyman
I made the point of looking through old conversations in the thread, and to illustrate that point i did it myself and clicked the button to go 500 pages back, randomly and read the page and it just happened to be the first time you posted.
Lucky coincidence, neato.

Was thinking about giving this thread to Vibe but after that crack pr list its doubtful
It was pretty whack I gotta admit, it should look like this.

1. San
2. Cura
3. Neil
4. Goggles
5. JamesG
6. Vibe
7. Pat
8. Calm
9. Sharky
10. SMM1

I feel like I'm forgetting someone but I can't think of who. So sorry whoever you are.

edit: I feel that Omega Tyrant would be a very strong contender, but I've only seen him once so it's hard for me to judge.
Also Bass if he's planning on going to tourneys.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
I dont think id ever give it back to you kyle. Not because your not capable but i have more respect for these people than to make them look at that doo doo brown text all day.

edit:
Sharky should be off that pr.
smm1 should move up to 9th.
And tyrant should be added as well in 10th.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
I dont think id ever give it back to you kyle. Not because your not capable but i have more respect for these people than to make them look at that doo doo brown text all day.

edit:
Sharky should be off that pr.
smm1 should move up to 9th.
And tyrant should be added as well in 10th.
i think if we are talking about that PR, then bass should definitely be on it, over sharky and smm1, behind vibe and I. since he did so well at the 4th best. since all you aparently need to be ranked is to play well in one tournament, and he did play well enough i suppose.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
i think if we are talking about that PR, then bass should definitely be on it, over sharky and smm1, behind vibe and I. since he did so well at the 4th best. since all you aparently need to be ranked is to play well in one tournament, and he did play well enough i suppose.
Who's Bass ( are you talking about Mauve)? Also, CAC should seriously be considered for 8-10. He always places about where I place and outplaced me at 5th BEST. Granted he didn't make it out to AXS 3, but still.

Other than that, Cura's revision on Tommy's seems a lot more accurate than Vibe's.

MetalPat

Smash Ace
Who's Bass ( are you talking about Mauve)? Also, CAC should seriously be considered for 8-10. He always places about where I place and outplaced me at 5th BEST. Granted he didn't make it out to AXS 3, but still.

Other than that, Cura's revision on Tommy's seems a lot more accurate than Vibe's.
yes mauve, sorry. and i definitely think that SMM1 whould be higher than CAC, and that you should be higher up than CAC, which would make it like that. but i also think that tyrant should be up about you and CAC as well. so id say more like

6)vibe
7)metalpat
8)mauve
9)tyrant
10)calm/tgs/smm1

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
I don't mind if I don't get the PR. I just figured no one else wanted it. And I definitely wouldn't make the PR myself. Like I said, I'd probably be as least bias as possible and get everyone's opinion.

Edit: How is SMM1 under Calm, tho? Lol.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
Mauve only came to 4th BEST and we haven't heard heads or tails from him since. I also beat him in the only game we played together lol. Personally I don't really think he should be considered, but whatever.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
I don't mind if I don't get the PR. I just figured no one else wanted it. And I definitely wouldn't make the PR myself. Like I said, I'd probably be as least bias as possible and get everyone's opinion.

Edit: How is SMM1 under Calm, tho? Lol.
We're committee-izing this **** right here in the open haha. SMM hasn't placed better than me. He's also only been to 1 tournament this season (4th BEST, AXS 3, 5th BEST), so there's a lack of data. I've never played him in a tournament set (though I played friendlies with him at AXS 2 and was winning at least 50%), so we can't say who would win. Just because he doesn't make the same mistakes as me in the Marth mu, and you don't know everything about his playstyle like me, doesn't automatically make him better.

For the same reason--lack of data-- I feel you, JamesG, and Goggles are very interchangeable too.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
I want to know why Neil is being considering since he like blatantly said at AXS3 we'll never see him again. lol.

Also I still think it should be an 8 man PR

1) San
2) Cura
3) Goggles
4) Vibe
5) JamesG
6) SMM1
7) Pat
8) Tyrant

is my opinion now. but whatevs. I'm more interested in who ideal panelists would be.

Edit: Lolcalm. SMM1 usually doesn't get ideal brackets at tournies, but I'm still pretty confident that SMM1 fares better than you against most people. He does well against every good player in this region. And if lack of data is a problem, why is JamesG so high? Lol. I guess I don't play him enough, even though I'm pretty sure he's still [probably] better than me. Plus he's been to smashfests in syracuse, so I'm sure that counts.

Edit2: Also, I beat you cause the way you play leaves you really weak to the MU in general.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Any logic that goes toward taking neil off pr applys to Cura as well.

S tier
San
Cura
Pikax2
Me

A tier
JamesG

B tier
Calm
Smm1
Tyrant
Vibe
Pat
TGS
Bcb
Sharky

S and A tiers are in order. There is no way to make B tier into a discernable objective order.

A tier is only there on the condition that I dont think hes lost to anybody in B tier, nor has he beaten any body in S tier.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Well I kind of agreed with taking Cura off the PR since he said he's leaving, but I figured I'd keep Cura on considering he's been more active and actually TO's stuff. Figured one last PR for him would do justice.

Also the only person I've lost to In B tier was TGS, like 3 tournies ago, and I've beaten him since then in tourney, so I don't see why I wouldn't be A tier.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
I want to know why Neil is being considering since he like blatantly said at AXS3 we'll never see him again. lol.

Also I still think it should be an 8 man PR

1) San
2) Cura
3) Goggles
4) Vibe
5) JamesG
6) SMM1
7) Pat
8) Tyrant

is my opinion now. but whatevs. I'm more interested in who ideal panelists would be.

Edit: Lolcalm. SMM1 usually doesn't get ideal brackets at tournies, but I'm still pretty confident that SMM1 fares better than you against most people. He does well against every good player in this region. And if lack of data is a problem, why is JamesG so high? Lol. I guess I don't play him enough, even though I'm pretty sure he's still [probably] better than me. Plus he's been to smashfests in syracuse, so I'm sure that counts.
No one gets ideal brackets at tourneys unless you're top-seeded. That's a bad talking point, that can't be measured in any way.

With JamesG, the difference is when you place 5th at a tournament of that size, you play enough matches to get some idea of where you stand in regards to the region, but like I said, you, goggles, and JamesG are interchangeable based on the fact that it was only 1 tournament. SMM placed 13th at the one tournament he went to this season, to try to place him 6th on the PR definitively is silly.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
Any logic that goes toward taking neil off pr applys to Cura as well.

S tier
San
Cura
Pikax2
Me

A tier
JamesG

B tier
Calm
Smm1
Tyrant
Vibe
Pat
TGS
Bcb
Sharky

S and A tiers are in order. There is no way to make B tier into a discernable objective order.

A tier is only there on the condition that I dont think hes lost to anybody in B tier, nor has he beaten any body in S tier.
you lost to Pat in a MM if I recall ;)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I also beat the two people that you would consider interchangable with me pretty convincingly.

Also beat pat in tournament but take it as you will.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
By Ideal brackets, I mean playing people he might have a chance to beat and not just total scrubs and then people who blatantly beat him [It's hard to measure skill that way.] Of course I don't mean 'ideal' as in how to get to money fastest. But whatevs, I'm not gonna like go on an SMM1 crusade if that's how people really feel.

Also, look at James G Bracket. It was pretty good. It was 2 people he could obv beat, then Pikax2, then 2 people he could beat, then Cura. If I had gotten that bracket, I would have placed 5th as well.

Edit: Kid, I doubt you'd be placed below me/James G so don't even worry about it. lol.

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
I agree with you about the whole B tier thing except Vibe is A and it could be argued that Pat can be placed above the rest of us as well . I just don't know why you're the cuttoff for S-tier when you haven't lost to anyone below you (besides the Pat MM) or beat anybody above you (unless there was a MM I'm not aware of ) this season, the same as JamesG hasn't lost to anyone below him. Is 5 too many for S tier?

And Vibe, you're clearly biased for SMM (oh man he got such a bad bracket), so I don't want to hear this I'm unbiased crap.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Even though I just said if that's how people really feel I won't go on an SMM1 crusade. By unbiased I mean I'm willing to accept everyone's opinion.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Well anyways, I think by the end of this we can have a solid PR, which is cool. I guess it Pikax2 and Cura are going to be on, a 10 man PR is achievable.

Top Bottom