• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ummm... theres only one good melee player in this region and he lives in rochester...

come to think of it, i havent talked to jesse in madd long, i should call him.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
seemed like you were trying pretty hard when you and goodies got waxed by me and rob...

but then again you play jigglypuff and you werent planking the edge like dudutsai, so i guess I cant say for sure whether you were trying or not.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
You guys should see me try. I often sandbag otu of discouragement or something like that. *yawns* I need to get together with Artery Clogger or Sky, or something....

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
Bleh... more Melee!

My friends and I down at Geneseo, all we do is play Melee (and Rock Band) but mostly Melee. We play doubles matches for hours.

Also, we constantly make fun of Brawl players... Brawl is just less fun IMO.

I mean, I used to main Marth in Brawl, but then when I'd go to tournaments, I'd either suck, or start playing really REALLY gay and have the crowd yell at me for it. Then, **** it, I decided if being gay was the only way to win I might as well pick up MK and I'm nooby with him too.

Now I'm like, a year behind on the metagame, and no one around plays Brawl.

The thing is, TONS of people in Geneseo play smash brothers all time, just:

-few people take it seriously
-difficult to find venues
-few people want to pay an entree fee
-everyone plays different games (64 is really popular)

So it'd be great if we had more Melee tournaments up in Rochester to go to, but they're so few and far between. We can only go to the ones listed on the boards.

altairian

Smash Lord
Bleh... more Melee!

My friends and I down at Geneseo, all we do is play Melee (and Rock Band) but mostly Melee. We play doubles matches for hours.

Also, we constantly make fun of Brawl players... Brawl is just less fun IMO.

I mean, I used to main Marth in Brawl, but then when I'd go to tournaments, I'd either suck, or start playing really REALLY gay and have the crowd yell at me for it. Then, **** it, I decided if being gay was the only way to win I might as well pick up MK and I'm nooby with him too.

Now I'm like, a year behind on the metagame, and no one around plays Brawl.

The thing is, TONS of people in Geneseo play smash brothers all time, just:

-few people take it seriously
-difficult to find venues
-few people want to pay an entree fee
-everyone plays different games (64 is really popular)

So it'd be great if we had more Melee tournaments up in Rochester to go to, but they're so few and far between. We can only go to the ones listed on the boards.
I like your logic...since you were bad at Brawl, you quit the game and make fun of people for playing it. That's fantastic, really.

Rochester, Syracuse, and in a few months Albany will all be running tournaments, we'll probably work it out so that we have ~1 a month somewhere in upstate NY. Get yourself a car and a few friends to split the travel costs. Don't worry about housing, people will hook you up.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
look at this ***** alt, droppin the knowledge.

also, if you were playing gay, and you were getting yelled at for it, you obviously werent playing gay enough, because there get to a point where you play so incredibly gay, that people start to love you for it. peep this ***** DMG, that boy should be the official president of the boy scouts as much as he camps. and people LOVE it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeXm...711357874&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=6

step up your gayness sir...

also, this region is very community oriented, so if you show up to a tourney with 15 dudes that want to have a smash 64 tourney, thats what we will do.

also, I do everything in my power to keep the costs for these tourneys as low as possible since people are coming from every different background and length of drive, so we want to make it accessible to everyone.

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
I like your logic...since you were bad at Brawl, you quit the game and make fun of people for playing it. That's fantastic, really.
Honestly, what did you expect? Of course, I'm straight-up awful at Brawl, so it's easy to make fun of people who play it. I know full well it's a game people take seriously and has a dedicated player base and at least a growing metagame, but it's useful as the butt of jokes.

I introduced Brawl to my friends, and after they struggled with it, I just told them to pick MK and spam Mach Tornado and Dsmash and all of a sudden they were good. [EDIT: Not really good, just cheap]

The real problem I see with Brawl is the learning curve. It takes a lot of time investment to develop a Brawl skill but the return on your investment is very small... unlike Melee, where every time you pick it up you can learn something a little new.

Brawl is just so much slower, so much more strategy based, and with so much more stupid stuff that doesn't allow skill to shine through as well.

I am happy that there's a Brawl community in Rochester... it means there's a dedicated player base around to throw tournaments.

I only go to college at Geneseo but I'm from Webster so it's not a big deal to be able to come up. In fact, I can take a bus from Geneseo to RIT for free on weekends, so I can come up often.

Erkekjetter

Smash Journeyman
I agree with him, if only semantically. Brawl is technically harder to learn. A larger portion of Brawl is devoted to mindgames and such than Melee. like, you can get a whole lot farther on just mindgames in Brawl, whereas in Melee you need more tech-skill. And because you can't really learn mindgames without experience that makes it harder to "learn".

Just my 2 cents/rambling.

hubble

Smash Ace
Play Raynex's fox for 30 minutes in melee.

Then play Ally's snake for 30 minutes in brawl.

I absolutely guarantee that you will feel like killing yourself after getting 4stocked by Raynex because you only got 2 trades in because the ****er is too good at baiting and spacing; whereas playing Ally will show you that you got ***** but being able to do decent against Ally can actually be in reached some day.

Melee pros make you feel hopeless. Ergo, it has a huge as ****ing mount everest learning curve.

Goggles does well in this region soley because he can space and l-cancel with ganon. And HOLY CRAP, Minh has amazing spacing and bad tech skill yet he still ***** at melee.

Get stuffed.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
its just how the games are played differently there's no momentum or big combos in brawl (save few) so it's impossible to get something going. lots of patience and trading and gay stuff

melee there are much gayer and oppressive offensive options... easier to get hits grabs combos but there are lots of technical needs to acquire these things.

and i've only felt helpless once in a pro match and i quit out of it because dj nintendo was camping me so hard on a stupid stage in a stupid matchup bc i had no idea what to do w/e

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
The difference is when I go to Melee tournaments, I always want to improve and I get like a zillion times better. Even since the last tournament, my play with Ganon has skyrocketed because I played those dittos with Goggles and now I know a lot more stuff that Ganon can do. (Plus I taught myself how to waveland consistently, which was kind of needed).

When I go to Brawl tournaments, after I leave I don't feel like picking up the game for another week, because there's just so much time you have to put into it in order to get good, and you have to constantly deal with Brawl's flaws.

When I say "more strategy" I mean with Brawl you have to space out your moves and play much more defensively-- in fact, the more defensive options you choose, clearly the better you'll be as you wait for your opponent to make a mistake (or just randomly trip, lawl). You can't string combos together with any reliability as any player with half a grain of common sense knows the right way to DI. In Brawl, you don't die from one big hit or a finishing combo, you die from fifteen little hits.

Brawl is just that much more of a cat-and-mouse type game, where you constantly shuffle back and forth, try to predict your opponents, and punish. The sad part about Brawl is even when you do THAT, you have to factor in the generally uphill climb of character balance. All the strategy and waiting in the world won't save you as you get caught in the ridiculous hitbox from a Snake Utilt and die at 80% or take 20 damage every time MK does a Mach Tornado... factor in the tech-chases, chain-throwing, projectile camping, planking, gimping and you generally have a much more frustrating, less accessible game.

Melee is just so much more compact, much more tech-skill based, much more offensive, fast-paced TACTICALLY oriented gameplay. The more experience with the game, the more tactics you pick up and learn, the more options you will have at your disposal-- that's what separates good players from bad in Melee. It's what leaves me with the feeling of wanting to improve and it's why I haven't stopped playing Melee.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
You play against snake in brawl. and accidentally walk into 2 nairs and die, and than for some reason SD at low % on your second stock. snake has 75% and 3 stocks, you have 1 stock, you arent going to win.

You play against any tourney level character in melee with a tourney level character, and you always have a chance
as evidenced by this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qna80MbcAAc

To be honest the only difference between melee and brawl, is that both game have equal levels of camping, defensive play, gayness and the like, its just that in melee, when you do finally do land a move, you get anywhere from 50% to a stock, because of the hitstun.

I was playing minhs marth yesterday. we would dance around and space and all that, and than he would get a grab on me and i would lose my stock, from 0. simply because f throw to down tilt would put me off stage, or make me tech and he would just cover all of my teching/recovering options with f smash.and just keep f smashing me till i died.

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
The thing is, I like that ability to stage a comeback. It adds a lot more suspense and excitement to the game, whereas in Brawl if you're losing really badly you might as well just put the controller down and get to the next match quicker.

Also, Marth v. Ganon: don't get grabbed. I usually just try and set up a wall of fairs and not let myself lose too much ground on the stage. As soon as you land a hit or punish a mistake, you can take off 30-50% because you're Ganon and hit like a truck full of buses full of fat people.

Anyway, we're getting off-topic. My point is that while Brawl certainly is an easier game to pick up, you have to put so much more time into it to get any good (probably not helped by the fact that 3-stock Brawl matches can take twice as long as 4-stock Melee matches).

Certainly hold more tournies in the Rochester area, just treat Brawl and Melee equally, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who loves playing Melee. Any 8-year-old game with this much following and this much metagame is sure to be around for a while longer. If we want to introduce new players in the community and keep them, we have to keep teaching the random newbies (such as myself) how to play better instead of just trashtalking, and we gotta keep having tournaments so that interest can maintain itself. I even want to see if I can set up a tourney down here (maybe even using college funds lolol) so we can get the kind of community that already exists serious about playing more Smash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx5JZOTCisY <-- I love this video.

hubble

Smash Ace
When i was teaming with minh against pinpoint/goggles yesterday tons of epic **** happened.

Goggles was by himself, i was chilling taunting with puff, and Minh as marth lands utilt -> uthrow -> usmash -> fsmash to kill goggles ganon at 20%.
Talk about an xD moment.

Getting to the point: WE should all play together wayyyyy more often. Making a trip to attend a bimonthly event is totally worth it.

PinPoint

Smash Apprentice
When I say "more strategy" I mean with Brawl you have to space out your moves and play much more defensively-- in fact, the more defensive options you choose, clearly the better you'll be as you wait for your opponent to make a mistake (or just randomly trip, lawl). You can't string combos together with any reliability as any player with half a grain of common sense knows the right way to DI. In Brawl, you don't die from one big hit or a finishing combo, you die from fifteen little hits.
Compared to melee, where playing defensively isn't rewarded:
Taj's jv5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m9138477W8

high level marth/puff: m2k x mango
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajY0BnPq-Fw

How are these plans any less strategic from those of brawl? Having more opportunities to use the same (defensive) strategy in brawl is trivial. Defensive options are equivalent in terms of strategy. The viability of one strategy does not make the game as a whole more strategic.

As with all fighting games, the character should be properly spaced.

Are you arguing that brawl has more tactics? Due to my unfamiliarity with brawl I can't argue that. It's not even 2 years old yet, so I think that is unanswerable unless we limit ourselves to the current metagames, which I don't think is fair to either game.

@Foy$

>any player with half a grain of common sense knows the right way to DI
>west coast
>foy
>zelda

:colorful::embarrass:embarrass :colorful::colorful::colorful: :colorful::embarrass:embarrass
:colorful::embarrass:embarrass :colorful::embarrass:colorful: :colorful::embarrass:embarrass
:colorful::colorful::colorful: :colorful::colorful::colorful: :colorful::colorful::colorful:

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
Are you arguing that brawl has more tactics? Due to my unfamiliarity with brawl I can't argue that. It's not even 2 years old yet, so I think that is unanswerable unless we limit ourselves to the current metagames, which I don't think is fair to either game.
It's important to differentiate between STRATEGY and TACTICS.

When I say "strategy" I mean the broader sense of how you approach a match: spacing, knowing which moves you want to use more of in the match up, how to punish the opponent's mistakes, how to deal with their approaches.

When I say "tactics" I mean the specific ways in which players order their characters to perform certain movements or combination of movements. Wavedashing, shield-grabbing, chain-throwing, L-cancelling.

So Brawl then is more focused on strategy, whereas Melee is made up of both a lot of strategy and tactics.

In Melee you have defensive options and that can also work, but just as well as offensive options. In Brawl, you can't-- you're almost always better off choosing a defensive option.

So Melee has a much greater depth, not only because of tactics, but how people link these tactics together. The better you are at putting these tactics together, the better you become, and this is what defines skill in Melee.

PinPoint

Smash Apprentice

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
the fact that you get massive combo potential and you get to SEVERELY limit the opponents options when your defensive play works in your favor, only merely give the impression that melee is less campy then brawl, when in actuality, its just as, if not more campy.

either way, that real fact of the matter is that its very very rare to be good at one game and bad at the other unless you really dont play it, like at all

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
Play what you like, don't talk **** for no reason about what you don't like. That is all.
Geez, I'm not personally insulting each and every Brawl player. They do what they like! I just enjoy poking fun at Brawl for all of the things wrong with it. Melee ain't perfect either.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I like poking fun at people who are bad at smash.

maybe if either of you two could beat me, the stuff you were talking about would matter...

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
goggles just can't DI lol

DI is infinitely more important in melee and using all varieties of DI's and mixups are basically essential to become a good player

i'll teach everyone about DI when i play them from now on bc wny has some pretty bad di save the tops

altairian

Smash Lord
I like poking fun at people who are bad at smash.

maybe if either of you two could beat me, the stuff you were talking about would matter...
Lucky for you I don't have the opportunity to play smash 3+ times a week like you do. (not counting wifail because it's next to worthless)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Ha I got u pika dittos KID. But you beat me like 100 times in other matches LOL
how about pikachu hat kirby? thats close enough right? I beat neil with him yesterday
goggles just can't DI lol

DI is infinitely more important in melee and using all varieties of DI's and mixups are basically essential to become a good player

i'll teach everyone about DI when i play them from now on bc wny has some pretty bad di save the tops
FOXS UP THROW IS TOO FAST!
Lucky for you I don't have the opportunity to play smash 3+ times a week like you do. (not counting wifail because it's next to worthless)
Wifi is the reason both myself and San are amazing at this game.
Them's fighting words! Money match next time I see you. Maybe for a whole dollar.
2 dollars or its done. I dont MM for less. step ya game up.
melee mm's to all from me

accept and be defeated
low tier match?

Top Bottom