• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

Minic

Smash Apprentice
Yo Pyro u should make every smash club from now on a mini tournament with say like a 2 or 3 dollar entry fee. I'm thinking it would bring some ppl back around. plus since it's only 2 bucks melee kids might enter brawl one and vice versa.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
Yo Pyro u should make every smash club from now on a mini tournament with say like a 2 or 3 dollar entry fee. I'm thinking it would bring some ppl back around. plus since it's only 2 bucks melee kids might enter brawl one and vice versa.
I actually mentioned this a while ago, but no one seemed that interested. Maybe we can try it this time. Anyone up for doing this tonight?

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
i would beeeeeee and im using foys controller cuz i let m2k borrow it for this cali tourney so you guys should be able to beat me now :)

Minic

Smash Apprentice
I don't main Guile anymore.

Or at least I'm going to try to not suck with Abel before I attempt Guile.
Abel's a pretty hard character to learn, much harder than guile. With guile all u need to learn well is spacing sonic booms while approaching and anti airing jumpings with Cr FP or St mk. But he is a really boring character to play as. Play abel if u like rushdown characters

flaw

Smash Apprentice
i've been practicing a lot lately, breaking in a new controller, almost perfect.

noticing a lot more in vids these days...

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Abel's a pretty hard character to learn, much harder than guile. With guile all u need to learn well is spacing sonic booms while approaching and anti airing jumpings with Cr FP or St mk. But he is a really boring character to play as. Play abel if u like rushdown characters
It's funny because I learned Abel relatively quick, and I main Marth, so of course I like rushdown characters.

No projectile? No problem.

All I gotta do is put the time in to learn MUs.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
no offense to any of my homies in this thread, but just like how i make jokes about ganon even though i really dont know the character as deeply as kyle or other ganon mains, i feel i have the right to say you don't really know anything about marth.

what you are seeing is definitely not what is happening.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Usually when im fighting marth in melee I usually see him dash dancing right outside my range so he can wait for me to do anything, so he can punish with grab. Its very similar to how my sonic plays in brawl.

And people seem to think my sonic is super campy around here... sooooo... yea.

If im wrong tho, feel free to enlighten me.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I just hate lots of stuff about Brawl, you're not really that campy, but Marth's dash dancing was very hard for me to learn how to utilize at high levels of play.

If you just dash dance outside of their range, smart players won't just attack, so then you have to start threatening by running in and approaching when they don't expect it, like with dtilt and dash attack, fsmash and even grab.

Then they know you can approach at any time, so they will start to be antsy to approach you, so then your dash dancing will be more deadly...Like kyle said, dash outside their range and punish...As long as they attack you thinking that you are going to attack them.

But there's much more to it. At the highest levels of play it's reaction based, with little prediction, and the dash dance becomes a way to force your opponent to do something, and you have to be riskier with it, with very precise timing. What I mean by that is, the obvious "dash dance outside their range" becomes, for the most part, obsolete. It's just too obvious and high level players rather reposition themselves than attack if they think you're going to attack.

So now you have to dash dance IN their range, which is difficult and if you stay in their range too long, you'll get hit by the attack you're trying to bait. The whole point is creating an illusion that you're in their range, as opposed to broadcasting that you're going to dash away.

Then you do a few DD's in their range but you have to get out QUICK because at that range, you can't rely on reaction time to get out of the way if a fox decides to Nair or something. So, you dd in their range then move out.

But what if they don't fall for the bait? Then you gave away what you're trying to do. So do you approach? If you are going to be risky I guess...But you can DD in their range again and this time either wait longer inside their range, because eventually they will do something. They will attack you if they see you dd'ing in their range for a long time. So do you dd in their range for an extended period of time to do a SUPERBAIT? Superbait lol i just made it up, basically it's like saying..."Come hit me, come hit me...**** he's not hitting me..." and then you do it even more in their range but it's riskier, and you can also make them panic more by decreasing the distance of your dd's and increasing the speed, because at any moment you can strike really fast that way.

there's a lot more to it as well, such as dd'ing when someone's on a platform above you, because if they waveland off like ganon with bair, the extra range will hit you even if you're a safe range away. Sometimes it's best not to DD either, maybe it's better to stuff an approach vs fox with fair and THEN begin the DD to bait a dodge afterwards. (most spacies dodge after getting hit by fair to avoid grab)

Also, interrupting your dash dance with a nair or fair is very good and deceptive...They think you're going to dash away so instead you nair or fair out of the dd, stuffing their overshot aerial. there's a lot to it brah

Minic

Smash Apprentice
Basically mind games within mindgames. it depends on how u play the character. When im using marth i basically just try to tip dtilts and fairs which leads to a knockdown or juggle. If u block, i keep doing it until i break the shield enough to stab through it. Mainly i try to pressure their shield but grab eventually if they start shielding too much. Camping/turtling is valid tactic anyways idk why ppl try to hate on it so much. It's all spacing/zoning in the end

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Dash dancing is stupid.

translation: I suck at melee.

Edit: I play way too aggressive with Marth anyways, so I'm pretty terrible with him in every game. I just know brawl more. Lol.

Greene Archer

Smash Ace
I'll just let you guys know, there's going to be a tournament at RPI on the 12th, both brawl and melee. However, it's free to enter, since its for Genericon.

Come hang out anyways.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
^ Yeah. There's also going to be SSF4 and possibly Blazblue

Cool, I get to introduce the Troy/Albany smash community with the Troy/Albany every other fighter community. Good ****.

Edit: Is there still going to be prizes?

You should PM me so Cura won't come down and take first place if there is.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Basically mind games within mindgames. it depends on how u play the character. When im using marth i basically just try to tip dtilts and fairs which leads to a knockdown or juggle. If u block, i keep doing it until i break the shield enough to stab through it. Mainly i try to pressure their shield but grab eventually if they start shielding too much. Camping/turtling is valid tactic anyways idk why ppl try to hate on it so much. It's all spacing/zoning in the end
Yeah the only problem is in Melee there's so many options, if you see someone zoning you you just beat it. You reveal too much by doing that. You're better off DD'ing to pressure them into attacking, and then stuff them with a well spaced fair, rather than just try to wall them with fair. That'll get you *****

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
You can **** random zoning in brawl too. Lol.

Every Marth should know by now that it's about the Short Hop pressure game > Fair pressure game.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
zoning with fair gets ***** against me if Im playing well in either game, cause with sonic i can just fair you oos in between marths fairs, and in melee i can up air oos with ganon, but thats only if you do a rising SH aerial on my shield

ViciousEnd

Smash Journeyman
It's not even that Marth is camping. I view zoning and camping two entirely different things. Camping is actively sitting back and being entirely removed from your opponents range while trying to lure them into yours. Zoning is being in their range and trying to provoke them. Marth is a very strong zoning character, but doesn't really have options outside of his sword range to force situations as hards as say... Falco, who can literally force any situation to happen for him. My vote for campiest character goes to Fox actually, followed by Jiggs and Peach. Most of the good Falco's attack these days, which would suggest that while Falco can be a force to be reckoned with while camping, he is more rewarding as a character when you pressure openings from your opponents.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
melee falco = Brawl Marth. I've always thought that. I mean, falco has a projectile and CAN camp, in melee, being aggressive is better. Brawl Marth, Marth CAN play defensively, but acts better as an aggressive character.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
fixed that up for you brah
Depends on the fighting game as to how much this applies. Fundamentally true but less tangible in games that have more flexibility in your actions. 2D games where you auto face your opponent that have a continuous dash, and especially once with a continuous dash that's cancelable into basically anything, can get a lot more like "run at the opponent really fast and do stuff."

Toki mirror match, Hokuto no Ken, anyone?
EDIT: Well **** you youtube, and your ******** copyright ****. >: <

hubble

Smash Ace
Depends on the fighting game as to how much this applies. Fundamentally true but less tangible in games that have more flexibility in your actions. 2D games where you auto face your opponent that have a continuous dash, and especially once with a continuous dash that's cancelable into basically anything, can get a lot more like "run at the opponent really fast and do stuff."

Toki mirror match, Hokuto no Ken, anyone?
EDIT: Well **** you youtube, and your ******** copyright ****. >: <

oh ****

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
Found more or less the same combo. Not as awesome because ****ty camera, no sound, and not two tokis literally trying to do the exact same thing to each other from the start of the round, but, that's all there is.

You are already dead.

Top Bottom