• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I completely ironically am in total support of Minecraft in Smash actually.

In fact, my unpopular opinion is that I think Steve would make just as good of an inclusion, if not better, than Banjo could (although I do still want Banjo)

R O F L

Smash Ace
Nah. The most unpopular opinion here would be that Mine craft is okay to have in Smash
Who..... who doesn't think Minecraft should be in Smash?
I mean, it's popular (or used to be), it's a great game, it's iconic to gaming, it's been on 3 Nintendo Systems.... It follows all the fan-made rules requirement rules.....

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I mean, it's popular (or used to be), it's a great game, it's iconic to gaming, it's been on 3 Nintendo Systems.... It follows all the fan-made rules requirement rules.....
I, for one, am not opposed to the idea of Minecraft in Smash period. I actually think a Minecraft stage with breakable terrain would be pretty sick. A character, on the other hand, is something I'm not so crazy about considering it has basically none of them and a stage would definitely represent the game and its values better.

Last edited:

EGsmash

Smash Apprentice
You all know the most unpopular opinion here would be adding Fortnite skins to smash.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
A minor one regarding Ashley;

I have no idea why after Waluigi, Wario's most famous partner the world over, being revealed to be an assist that Ashley was considered quite as likely to be playable as she was.
I know she's popular in Japan and that Waluigi and Ashley are from different series that Wario appears in, but I'd still expect Waluigi to be made playable before Ashley was.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Third party representation feels lopsided now that Street Fighter and Castlevania have broken the rules and gotten a second character for their series each.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Third party representation feels lopsided now that Street Fighter and Castlevania have broken the rules and gotten a second character for their series each.
Limits are meant to be broken!

Except for the limits Square Enix imposes.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I feel like a stage and some music (please Aria Math) would be great but a fighter is too much.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I’m just gonna throw this out there; I adore the fact that Spirits are essentially stickers with a purpose; their return, plus the return of the sticker album music, brings back tons of memories of me as a kid spending hours on end just looking at the stickers and making my own sticker album using some paper, a few staples, and whichever stickers I could find.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
We still need Dr.Egggman in smash though
Yeah I think Sonic is more than deserving to have another rep. I think they should have multiple reps to be honest. I'd say a villain is next, and that would either be Shadow or Eggman.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Would rather have someone like Kiryu or Segata over a new Sega characters. Unless it's just a Shadow echo

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Not really an opinion, but an unpopular observation:

Remember that dumb generic species in a headpiece argument that was used to put down fans of Captain Toad and Bandana Waddle Dee?

...why the **** did Skull Kid fans not have to deal with that? I've even seen Skull Kid fans about three months ago putting down Dee and/or Captain with the generic species argument without any sense of irony.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

Remember that dumb generic species in a headpiece argument that was used to put down fans of Captain Toad and Bandana Waddle Dee?

...why the **** did Skull Kid fans not have to deal with that? I've even seen Skull Kid fans about three months ago putting down Dee and/or Captain with the generic species argument without any sense of irony.
Probably since there are very few generic skull kids in the games as opposed to Waddle Dees and Toads being everywhere in theirs, and the ones that exist tend to be incredibly unimportant.

But don't worry, I've heard people use that argument against him as well.

Really though, it's a BS argument in the first place. It goes along with every other argument in Smash of "I don't want this character, so I'm just going to pick any reason to justify it that I can." Seems like "I don't like it" should be reason enough, but then you have people complaining that they didn't give them a chance/are stupid for disliking something on principle/etc.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Mii Gunner is one of my least favorite characters to see in quick play. All the Miis really. They’re all just so annoying for some reason

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
We still need Dr.Egggman in smash though
Define "need."

Don't get me started on this. The generic enemy argument and the fact that both Dee and Toad have been subject to more BS hate than any other newcomer pitch because of it is outrageous.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I don't think Sonic needs a second character because SEGA has three unique characters in the game, considering that I think they own the rights to both Bayonetta and Persona.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I thought Bayonetta was co-owned by Nintendo and Sega?
Nintendo owns some rights to Bayonetta 2.

The IP and the characters are wholly owned by Sega.

Basically, Bayonetta herself is third party, but Bayonetta 2 is almost "second party."

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't know until now.
Yeah, its kind of odd. Bayonetta's games seem to be owned by Nintendo barring the first one (which is why its on Steam).

Still, I'm just glad you didn't say Platinum owned her.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I would like more Fire Emblem characters. I wouldn't even object to all the 4 remaining DLC characters being Fire Emblem characters even. To me, that's more exciting than the 99% probability of having them all be 3rd party characters.
I wish I could like this twice

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So is that what a "second party" is?
"Second party" is an IP where Nintendo owns part of the rights to but not all of it.

Pokemon is the only IP like that with a playable character.

Other IPs like Kirby are owned by HAL but Nintendo owns HAL, so it's first party.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman

As a Skull Kid fan, I think I know why. Let me quickly preface this by saying I have nothing against Captain Toad or Bandanna Dee, I'm just laying this out in terms of those who do.

True, Skull Kids as a whole are a race, not a specific character, so I can understand it being baffling why Skull Kid fans never got the "generic character" argument. But much like Captain Toad and Bandanna Dee, it comes down to specifics. Dee and Toad, much like Skull Kid, are specific members people like of a certain race. However, the main role that Skull Kid had, the one he's most remembered for, is the one where he's the crux of the entire plot without being the player character.

You can't have Captain Toad's game without him because he's the player character. Bandanna Dee you can kind of have the games without him because he's not the central player character, Kirby is (unless I'm wrong there, I've never played a Kirby game and am not familiar with the cast and lore as much). Skull Kid may not be the player character of his game, but he's the crux of the plot. Everything essentially happens in the game because of him. If you take out Skull Kid, the plot of Majora's Mask literally doesn't happen. If you have another character taking the role of "character corrupted by the mask" it wouldn't turn out the same, because Skull Kid's loneliness and weakness of heart/mind were what lead to it all in the first place.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
"Second party" is an IP where Nintendo owns part of the rights to but not all of it.

Pokemon is the only IP like that with a playable character.

Other IPs like Kirby are owned by HAL but Nintendo owns HAL, so it's first party.
Mother and Xenoblade? Fire Emblem?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Mother and Xenoblade? Fire Emblem?
Nintendo owns HAL, Monolith and Intelligent Systems so they are first party. Anything they make is made by Nintendo.

Nintendo does not own Game Freak and the Pokémon Company but they own some rights but not all of the Pokémon IP. Not everything they make is owned by Nintendo. For an example, one can look at Tempo the Elephant which released on everything but Nintendo and was made by Game Freak.

Storm0943

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
2464 5707 1993
Define "need."
I mean, Sonic needs another rep, as Sonic is like, you know . . .a popular franchise. And it would be fitting to see Dr.Eggman as the other sonic rep. I think anyone can agree that sonic should have another rep, either be Dr.Eggman or Shadow.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I mean, Sonic needs another rep, as Sonic is like, you know . . .a popular franchise. And it would be fitting to see Dr.Eggman as the other sonic rep. I think anyone can agree that sonic should have another rep, either be Dr.Eggman or Shadow.
Personally, I would only use the term "need" if it mean that something unspeakably terrible would happen to the Sonic franchise unless and only if they got a second fighter in Smash.

But OK.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It was why I was anti-Ken through the whole speculation cycle. And I've been a Ken main/secondary in every Street Fighter.

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman
I don't like when a mod replace FD with Melee FD. Melee FD is trash. Don't forget that. Brawl FD is good. Like Sm4sh FD and Ultimate FD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom