• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

RazorGuild

Smash Rookie
The game feels like a glorified balance patch for Smash 4.

And by “glorified balance patch” I mean it’s basically all obvious changes that we needed since 4 released.

And then some others... Well, the gameplay feels worse than it was in 4 in many ways, namely responsiveness.
Can you explain to me an example of how less “responsive” this game is to smash 4? I’m not here to exactly argue here, just want to know more on what your thought process is.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Can you explain to me an example of how less “responsive” this game is to smash 4? I’m not here to exactly argue here, just want to know more on what your thought process is.
There's three current big issues with the "responsiveness" of Smash.

1. Its input delay is atrocious. Being "worse than Brawl's"
2. Its buffering system which saves your input for a long period of time, far longer than past games'.
3. Online lag, which not only worsens the previous two issues but adds an added layer of inconsistency.

At an objective level, it is "less responsive."

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I would prefer it if Mega Mega takes on an appearance that's closer to his character art over his 8-bit proportions. I can settle for X being a separate playable character that specializes in a more close-quarters style similar to Link and Toon Link. Unlike them, however, X's tool-kit should adopt a play style that isn't automatically "Classic, but better".

On the naysayer side of things, I prefer the phrasing of "We need more x" over "We need less y". I think it's preferable to want something that's hardly represented compared to other assets in Smash, but the latter statement implies a full makeover instead of addressing the issue in a way that pleases both camps. The two camps I tend to see the most that are vocal have some kind of goofy animal Most-Wanted and/or a Western Most-Wanted.

There's three current big issues with the "responsiveness" of Smash.

1. Its input delay is atrocious. Being "worse than Brawl's"
2. Its buffering system which saves your input for a long period of time, far longer than past games'.
3. Online lag, which not only worsens the previous two issues but adds an added layer of inconsistency.

At an objective level, it is "less responsive."
I've had too many moments where the game reads Side-B instead of Up-B, or even diagonal-up-right-B. I also had moments where I would input Side-B, but get Down-B instead, as well as the opposite direction of Side-B when I'm trying to recover. I had that problem with Rosalina back in 4, which made me use her way less than Lucina and Palutena. Even Villager's axe gives me problems because she turns around for some reason. This is all less "delay" and more "responsiveness" in general.

Last edited:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Personally, I can’t relate to when people say “the online is incredibly laggy”. Around 8/10 of my matches are perfectly smooth and relatively lagless. But I do live in a populated city and have fast wifi. No lan cable though.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
  1. Rolling left or right grants invincibility, allowing you to dodge. At the same time, you're not safe when doing this on platforms.
  2. Teching doesn't grant invincibility, even though the purpose of it is to reposition yourself.
  3. Camping is still rewarded in spite of the faster engine or whatever.
  4. Multi-jab attacks are difficult, if not impossible, to SDI out of.
  5. Burying is the new counter attack and counter is the new reflector.
  6. Rolling and dodging aren't punishable. Characters like Luigi and Sonic can still roll or dodge to their heart's content without any repercussion.

I'm sure more will come up, but that's all I remember for now.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I agree that people finding new and innovative excuses to remind everyone that they want Third Parties/Mii Fighters/R.O.B./every female character/Piranha Plant/etc. removed from smash forever ASAP for the upteenth ****ing time is starting to get under my nerves.

Where I disagree with the rest of this thread, however, is that I'm not just talking about the "Smash 6 is reboot with only 1/3rd the Roster."

Last edited:

Gryphon827

Smash Apprentice
From a competitive viewpoint, I think that Ultimate is the worst Smash game ever made. It's insanely unbalanced, with under 10% of the roster being competitively viable in any way. It also feels much slower than Smash 4 and even Brawl.

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
User was warned for this post; flaming
From a competitive viewpoint, I think that Ultimate is the worst Smash game ever made. It's insanely unbalanced, with under 10% of the roster being competitively viable in any way. It's also much slower than Smash 4 and even Brawl.
this is called talking out of your ass, kids

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
From a competitive viewpoint, I think that Ultimate is the worst Smash game ever made. It's insanely unbalanced, with under 10% of the roster being competitively viable in any way. It's also much slower than Smash 4 and even Brawl.
Ya might wanna hold the phone on predictions like this.

D

Deleted member

what

like, actually what

every single ****ing character in this game besides like little mac and kirby has something that makes them insanely strong, and no character simply can't compete with other broken options like so many characters in sm4sh and brawl

and HELL no this game ain't slower then brawl wtf you mean

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
Remember how this thread isn't supposed to be about criticizing other's unpopular opinions?
Like no matter how stupid you think it is it's still an opinion...

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Remember how this thread isn't supposed to be about criticizing other's unpopular opinions?
Like no matter how stupid you think it is it's still an opinion...
Can I remind all 3 of you of the 1 rule of this thread?
Well, I'd agree on matters of subjective opinions. Like "Smash Ultimate is the worst Smash game" is something you're entitled to, but "only 10% of the roster being competitively viable" is something we don't exactly know yet.

D

Deleted member

Alright. You posted a false statement, not an opinion.
yeah "this game is slower then brawl" is literally objectively wrong lmao the speed of characters in this game is greatly increased and there's straight up actual data to back that

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I might've been willing to humor you here, but that lovely little quip in your signature just completely erased any last bit of sympathy I may have had for you.
Might wanna think about not making enemies out of widespread fanbases if you're gonna spout garbage takes like that, just saying.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I might've been willing to humor you here, but that lovely little quip in your signature just completely erased any last bit of sympathy I may have had for you.
Might wanna think about not making enemies out of widespread fanbases if you're gonna spout garbage takes like that, just saying.
yeah it kinda shows a willingness to troll on his part

------

On topic, I think Galleom was the LAMEST possible boss to bring back from Brawl. We lost Porky for this.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Alright, so I changed it:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultpeach::ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool::ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:(Skull Kid):ultsamus::ultridley::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight:(Bandana Dee):ultfox::ultwolf::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultlucario:(Grass Type):ultness::ultfalcon::ultmarth::ultrobin:(Celica) :ultpit::ultwario::ultshulk::ultlittlemac::ultinkling:
Good man, put in Skull Kid-my respect for you just massively increased.

If anything else, though, I’d replace either Bandana Dee, Celica, or Little Mac (ideally Celica) with Isabelle, Animal Crossing is a HUGE Nintendo series, with Isabelle being the most popular character from said series.

I’d also replace one of those with either G&W or Duck Hunt as well, but that’s less necessary than Isabelle imo

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Kind of not an Ultimate one, but I don't see why people think 4 was so unbalanced. Sure Cloud and especially Bayo kind of overpowered a lot of them, but I'd hardly call it an unbalanced mess. Probably the second most balanced to date.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Good man, put in Skull Kid-my respect for you just massively increased.

If anything else, though, I’d replace either Bandana Dee, Celica, or Little Mac (ideally Celica) with Isabelle, Animal Crossing is a HUGE Nintendo series, with Isabelle being the most popular character from said series.

I’d also replace one of those with either G&W or Duck Hunt as well, but that’s less necessary than Isabelle imo
I actually meant to put Isabelle in, must have missed her.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
If Board the Platforms and Break the Targets are dead modes, they should at least return as completely-unique stages ala Battlefield and Final Destination, with fun gimmicks for nostalgic purposes.

It'sBetterThanNothing.jpg

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If Board the Platforms and Break the Targets are dead modes, they should at least return as completely-unique stages ala Battlefield and Final Destination, with fun gimmicks for nostalgic purposes.

It'sBetterThanNothing.jpg
Or something like Stage Builder for 'em.

Seriously, Ultimate needs more modes...

-----------------

For one of my latest unpopular opinions(maybe?); I'd be fine if all the regular DLC(excluding possible separate Echoes and obviously PP) are 3rd party. I honestly like Smash Bros. as a celebration of gaming in general. It's still Nintendo-focused, but the 3rd party content never felt like it overwhelmed the 1st party content in general.

Arthur97

Smash Master
People may say Nintendo doesn't have much left to offer, but if it was just third parties and gaming in general from the start, we would've missed gems like Captain Falcon. Obscure fighters can even revive old and/or obscure series which I think can be a good thing. In fact, it looks like Ultimate was a missed opportunity to bring out another obscure fighter. They may also need to work on capitalizing on the ones they do have better.

In other words, bring out some of the oft overlooked Nintendo candidates in.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
As a celebration of 20 years of Smash bros (something they oddly didn't use in the game's marketing) this game is incredible, with bringing back all the characters and all the best stages in the series, it's so much fun from a nostalgic point of view.

But as a new game this might be my least favorite smash, none of the newcomers were characters i liked, I only enjoy the Castlevania stage the other 3 stages are just not very good imo, hardly any new remixes, some really odd choices for songs (Like putting X series songs, one star force series song and nothing from EXE and legends and also restricting themselves to only Street fighter 2 music) and the single player content is just plain boring and a sad way to use the remaining requested characters.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
They need to get rid of the "main theme must be remixed and used for every menu and mode" mentality. While I still find myself humming it, they absolutely overused it way too much this time.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
They need to get rid of the "main theme must be remixed and used for every menu and mode" mentality. While I still find myself humming it, they absolutely overused it way too much this time.
Holy ****, I subconciously think to myself "colors weave into a spire of flame." Every single time and I ****ing hate it.

Honestly, I'm super sick of Lifelight.

Goddamn_Angela

Smash Cadet
Yes.

I already disliked Lifelight and the fact that it is overplayed, and the menu song changes to the menu version of Lifelight when you leave some screens (ie. the in-game store) even when you set it to 0%/Never Play in your my music section for the menu, just makes it that much more unbearable for me. lol

It gets stuck in my head and I want to cry.

MetaWeegee

Smash Cadet
What you said about the game's speed wasn't an opinion, lmao, it's just flat out false.

Like, in what universe is this game slower than Brawl? I don't understand.

Anyhow, yee haw, unpopular opinions, boys:

• Duon should have returned as a boss instead of Galleom. They did my two-headed robot boy injustice, I tellin' ya.
  • Ganondorf should have at least kept his up smash. Whatever this new one is, it's just ****ing useless.

EDIT: I fixed a mistake where I said Galeem instead of Galleom.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Absolutely. But Ultimate isn't the first offender, Smash 4 had their theme blaring everywhere.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Absolutely. But Ultimate isn't the first offender, Smash 4 had their theme blaring everywhere.
Bruh.

I hate the Brawl theme.

Because it was literally everywhere.

Smash 4 at least had different compositions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom