• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

EGsmash

Smash Apprentice
Can you explain to me an example of how less “responsive” this game is to smash 4? I’m not here to exactly argue here, just want to know more on what your thought process is.
This game is horribly inconsistent with inputs and, at least with the pro controllers, very prone to input error. Hitting the attack stick in one direction has a very good chance of sending out the wrong move. In Smash 4, inputting a diagonal on the C stick would send out a neutral - not great, but most characters' neutral aerials aren't that bad to accidentally throw out. Since they got rid of that, the 45° angle now splits evenly between two directions. If you accidentally jiggle the control stick slightly down before mashing it to the right, the Fair you wanted now comes out as a Dair, which in some characters can mean instant SD. That's a programming issue related to how the game treats controller input data.

The buffer is really bad and leads to SDs, especially online. I've had techs miss and turn into directional air dodges offstage at low % because I pressed shield just as I was hitting the stage. I missed the tech and released the button, but the move still came out as a DAD a full 15 frames later. I've had Ganondorf SD off the stage with Down Special because I did his wizard kick to end at the sweet spot on the ledge, only to have him throw out another Down Special simply because I pressed 'B' twice when I first did the move. Same thing with Simon trying to do a double down tilt, having it interrupted by an attack, then the move comes out off stage as a Dair long after I've stopped pressing the button.

The buffer itself is inconsistent - moves will buffer from other moves, but not from certain grabs.

Then there's the input errors related to frame perfect attack cancelling: Trying to do things like reverse Bair rushes is all fine and dandy... but if you do it fast enough to trigger the frame perfect turnaround, you just a regular Fair, and vice versa. It's kinda cool and gimmicky that you can do stuff like that, but not when it punishes you with the wrong move just for being faster with the exact same inputs you'd normally do.

Editing to add a few more:

Many Up Specials can be reversed by inputting a diagonal up in the direction you want to send out the move or quickly moving the stick from up position to the direction you wish to turn... except when it doesn't. Many characters lose their magnet hands when they're facing the wrong way, so folks like Chrom, Simon and Peach can easily end up facing away from the ledge with what should have been a simple straightforward recovery. This gets worse online where frame perfect inputs often get misread or simply don't come out at all.

The game itself just FEELS inconsistent - sloppy, even. Too many moving parts for the developers to really get right. Flashy concept executed with mediocrity. The Cheesecake Factory of fighting games.

Last edited:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I really really enjoy playing a good Belmont player. I love trying to get through their wall while they try their hardest to keep me back. It’s especially fun when the match is going back and forth. For me it’s the most fun as Lucina but it’s still fun with Ness. I think it’s fun regardless

Also Young Link is by far the most annoying zoner in the game. I don’t think he’s the best I think Snake’s the best (but playing Snake at a high level is really difficult) but he’s definitely the most annoying

The game feels like a glorified balance patch for Smash 4.

And by “glorified balance patch” I mean it’s basically all obvious changes that we needed since 4 released.

And then some others... Well, the gameplay feels worse than it was in 4 in many ways, namely responsiveness.
That’s not even remotely true. The physics are completely different. It’s much heavier and faster. The game is focused much more on edgeguarding. There are a ton of new characters. Air dodging and aerial play is much different. The game is far more balanced so far. The way the game is being played at the highest level is very different. I could go on. It’s still a Smash game so of course it won’t be that different but I don’t know what people expected. We love Smash so we want more Smash. All fighting games are like this with new installments

The responsiveness has literally never been an issue for me although I know it has been for some people and I’m not sure if it’s actually the responsiveness or people not being used to the new buffer system

Last edited:

SoaPuffball

Smash Cadet
hmm​
  • i like medium and big 8 player smash stages without hazards (gaur plain, npc, pt, 75m, mario bros, temple, moray towers)
  • i also don’t mind the great cave offensive, which is like one of, if not the most disliked stage in ultimate
  • i like 8 player smash
  • i wish necrozma was a boss (it fits the light theme and is a good s/m legendary for a boss)

Arthur97

Smash Master
I think low level players get annoyed by her because of the fishing rod and the mine thing that goes up but she’s really not good
In my experience, the sling shot is worse, but the Villagers have that too. Hate that slingshot, but that's probably not unpopular.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
In my experience, the sling shot is worse, but the Villagers have that too. Hate that slingshot, but that's probably not unpopular.
Yeah the slingshot is one do their best moves. Villager has the side b rocket to prevent edge guarding, the tree and the axe, and the bowling ball he can drop off the ledge. Definitely way better

Arthur97

Smash Master
Yeah the slingshot is one do their best moves. Villager has the side b rocket to prevent edge guarding, the tree and the axe, and the bowling ball he can drop off the ledge. Definitely way better
I don't care for using any of them. Maybe that one's more unpopular.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
The game feels like a glorified balance patch for Smash 4.

And by “glorified balance patch” I mean it’s basically all obvious changes that we needed since 4 released.

And then some others... Well, the gameplay feels worse than it was in 4 in many ways, namely responsiveness.
I would say that it feels more like a director's cut of smash 4 than a glorified balance patch.

R O F L

Smash Ace
The online isn't as bad as people say it is.

TBH I'm having more fun on Ultimate's online than I ever did on Smash 4's.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
The online isn't as bad as people say it is.

TBH I'm having more fun on Ultimate's online than I ever did on Smash 4's.
Agreed, well I never played Smash 4, but outside of the odd laggy match or match with stupid rules I’m having a ton of fun online

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
"Cute" characters like Isabelle and Kirby get too much praise for that reason alone
They're definitely praised for that, but the Pokemon side of the Smash community seems to be too focused on what's badass (IE: Wanting something like Tyranitar to be the gen 2 rep instead, even though being a slow, easy target is not an upgrade from self-damage).

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Unpopular: King K. Rool is maybe a B+ fighter but I can't side with the arguments that he's an A or S tier. That's like....impossible for a superheavy (maybe because Alpharad and WeeGee have influenced most KKR players to royally suck [get it] and I'm just underrating him as a result).

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Many Up Specials can be reversed by inputting a diagonal up in the direction you want to send out the move or quickly moving the stick from up position to the direction you wish to turn... except when it doesn't. Many characters lose their magnet hands when they're facing the wrong way, so folks like Chrom, Simon and Peach can easily end up facing away from the ledge with what should have been a simple straightforward recovery. This gets worse online where frame perfect inputs often get misread or simply don't come out at all.
I've SD's with Mario's Up B many times because of this. He is looking away from the stage and I want to do a turnaround Super Jump Punch, except that he does the move while still facing towards the blast zone.

Wonder if all of this could be fixed in a future patch.

EGsmash

Smash Apprentice
I've SD's with Mario's Up B many times because of this. He is looking away from the stage and I want to do a turnaround Super Jump Punch, except that he does the move while still facing towards the blast zone.

Wonder if all of this could be fixed in a future patch.
I can't even begin to wonder how they would even do that. Reverse UpB works just fine most of the time in local play, but for some reason maybe 75% of the time online. Doesn't seem like an input issue to me, but I don't design online games so I don't know.

I'm curious for all the folks who think that online is 'just fine' - how many play characters who aren't typically affected by input errors like this? And I'm not even complaining for myself - I see tons of characters like Chrom, Ridley, Ganondorf, Mario, etc. getting SDs when playing online. Characters like Pikachu/Pichu, K Rool, Ness, Snake, etc, don't really seem as affected by this?

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Can I remind all 3 of you of the 1 rule of this thread?
You are not entitled to your opinion, you are entitled to what you can argue for.

The problem with saying "I'm entitled to your opinion" is that is often used to shelter beliefs that should have been abandoned. This the reason why enthusiastic amateurs think they’re entitled to disagree with climate scientists and immunologists and have their views “respected” on equal ground. No one can't stop you from thinking what you think, but having your views treated as serious candidates for the truth is another story.

Immediately after everyone addressed your statement which came off as inaccurate and uninformed, you went into panic mode and the first thing you said was "Uh, y-you guys know its disrespectful to argue my opinion, d-do you?", feeding into that intellectual cowardice.
If you don't want your views to ever be contested online, then think twice before posting in a public site, and write it in a blog or your diary. That way no one will ever challenge and you will be free to delude yourself into thinking that whatever you say is true.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Smash Characters should be chosen for their moveset potential, not their fan demand... Because at the end of the day, a fun and unique character is better than a boring one... This is why I still think to this day, that Smash 4 had the best batch of newcomers
I get what you mean but I feel that people forget we had the following newcomers all with a down B counter added in Smash 4: :ultcorrinf::ultpalutena::ultshulk::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultbayonetta::ultlucina: + :ultroy: if you count him

In my opinion Brawl still has the best newcomer selection in the series. Unique fighters that were big fan requests for the most part with only 2-3 big names missing at the time. It combined both fan requests and uniqueness and it sparkles.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I get what you mean but I feel that people forget we had the following newcomers all with a down B counter added in Smash 4: :ultcorrinf::ultpalutena::ultshulk::ultlittlemac::ultgreninja::ultbayonetta::ultlucina: + :ultroy: if you count him

In my opinion Brawl still has the best newcomer selection in the series. Unique fighters that were big fan requests for the most part with only 2-3 big names missing at the time. It combined both fan requests and uniqueness and it sparkles.
Damn, that... that's a lot of counters. Way too many, holy ****. We have :ultkrool:and:ultincineroar: too now, though :ultincineroar: has a super unique counter and I feel like there should be more unique counters like his and :ultbayonetta1: as we move forwards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
-This thread should be renamed to “Smash 5 confessions” cause it’s kinda hard to state an general opinion if it’s actually popular or not.

-I don’t understand the annoyance towards fan requests.

Its implied that they would be boring and obvious but why? Just because their movesets are always discussed doesn’t mean people won’t enjoy playing as their favorite characters rather then someone they didn’t ask for just for the sake of uniqueness when at worse, that unexpected character could just be gimmicky as hell.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
-This thread should be renamed to “Smash 5 confessions” cause it’s kinda hard to state an general opinion if it’s actually popular or not.

-I don’t understand the annoyance towards fan requests.

Its implied that they would be boring and obvious but why? Just because their movesets are always discussed doesn’t mean people won’t enjoy playing as their favorite characters rather then someone they didn’t ask for just for the sake of uniqueness when at worse, that unexpected character could just be gimmicky as hell.
I agree with this honestly.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I would like more Fire Emblem characters. I wouldn't even object to all the 4 remaining DLC characters being Fire Emblem characters even. To me, that's more exciting than the 99% probability of having them all be 3rd party characters.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I don’t care who we get as long as we keep getting new fighters. Every new character except Isabelle, Incineroar, and Piranha Plant I don’t care about, but I’m still happy they are in.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I don’t care who we get as long as we keep getting new fighters. Every new character except Isabelle, Incineroar, and Piranha Plant I don’t care about, but I’m still happy they are in.
Ironically those 3 were the least liked and hyped Ultimate newcomers by the majority of the fan base lol.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
The roster of this game isn't something that's highly coveted for me. While I don't want any characters to actively be cut, I also don't really care if some of them are. Especially since, if we ever do get a reboot, I'd like to see tons of new characters, revamps for some of the old ones, lots of new stages, new mechanic, etc... This is something that simply isn't possible if you try to bring back every character in existence (which never really impressed me to begin with).

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Damn, that... that's a lot of counters. Way too many, holy ****. We have :ultkrool:and:ultincineroar: too now, though :ultincineroar: has a super unique counter and I feel like there should be more unique counters like his and :ultbayonetta1: as we move forwards.
A comprehensive list of everyone with a counter/predict move:
:ultbayonetta::ultcorrin::ultgreninja::ultike::ultincineroar::ultkrool::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmiifighters:(Swordfighter):ultpalutena::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultroy::ultchrom::ultshulk:
That's 17, which is a lot....almost too many, I'd argue.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
To be perfectly fair.

Witch Time and Revenge are so unique it feels wrong to call them counters.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I would like more Fire Emblem characters. I wouldn't even object to all the 4 remaining DLC characters being Fire Emblem characters even. To me, that's more exciting than the 99% probability of having them all be 3rd party characters.
Congratulations, you officially have the most unpopular opinion here!/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom