• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
I wish assist trophies didn't exist. I find a lot of them to be over-powered, or incredibly annoying (Nintendog).
I completely agree with that. While some items can knock you out at lower health percentages, they are easy to dodge.

But in single player, one wrong trophy placement and im dead. I am glad that they can get knocked out by now but couldnt they just be like .. pokeballs? That kind of power level?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
IMO I think the next best approach for Smash is a Vs. crossover fighting game in the same vain as Marvel vs. Capcom. Whether Jump Stars (Goku, Naruto, Luffy, Ichigo, etc.), Capcom (Ryu, Mega Man, Dante, Morrigan, etc.) or Disney (Mickey, Simba, Elsa, Mr. Incredible, etc.) although I'd prefer it to be Jump Stars. Better then a reboot that cuts 1/3 of the roster.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Even though ATs are becoming increasingly more complex, I feel as though if they were never included, we'd only have 1-2, maybe even 3 in Ultimate's case, more newcomers per game. Which I'm sure many would still accept depending on who the characters are, but still. Hell the resources not spent on ATs might even go to more items/Poke Ball Pokemon.
I'm terribly sorry but for a solid minute I thought you double posted and I was so confused. Look at the pfp of the guy above you, it's the letter G with another shade of blue. Nothing serious, but it made me laugh and thought like throwing it out there :joyful:

I agree that the assist trophy is a lame way of representing characters who wouldn't be fighters. It would probably be easier for them to design 3-5 more newcomers than 59 assist trophies (holy ****), and maybe we'd all be a little happier (and hyped) too.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Even though ATs are becoming increasingly more complex, I feel as though if they were never included, we'd only have 1-2, maybe even 3 in Ultimate's case, more newcomers per game. Which I'm sure many would still accept depending on who the characters are, but still. Hell the resources not spent on ATs might even go to more items/Poke Ball Pokemon.
I doubt it. Assist Trophies are the second best thing after being a playable character. Without it they wouldn't be included in the game aside from miscellaneous cameos (spirit, trophy, background). I highly doubt Sakurai rejects characters because ATs are a thing - rather ATs gives a purpose to rejected characters.

We also don't need more items...maybe an unpopular opinion but we have too many of them, and a lot are too janky even for items. I'd bring back the Fan and Red Shell, otherwise I think it would need downsizing in the next game.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I doubt it. Assist Trophies are the second best thing after being a playable character. Without it they wouldn't be included in the game aside from miscellaneous cameos (spirit, trophy, background). I highly doubt Sakurai rejects characters because ATs are a thing - rather ATs gives a purpose to rejected characters.

We also don't need more items...maybe an unpopular opinion but we have too many of them, and a lot are too janky even for items. I'd bring back the Fan and Red Shell, otherwise I think it would need downsizing in the next game.
Nah, I could care less about items. Although it would be slightly saddening to see them leave.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I agree that the assist trophy is a lame way of representing characters who wouldn't be fighters. It would probably be easier for them to design 3-5 more newcomers than 59 assist trophies (holy ****), and maybe we'd all be a little happier (and hyped) too.
Hard disagree. Assist Trophies don't need balancing and tons of other things playable characters need.

Also, my unpopular opinion: Smash fandom's obsession with "replacing" things they don't like is annoying, creates unnecessary conflict and more than half of the time is unrealistic.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Also, my unpopular opinion: Smash fandom's obsession with "replacing" things they don't like is annoying, creates unnecessary conflict and more than half of the time is unrealistic.
But if we didn't have Pichu we could totally have a character that would take ten times the amount of work, plus having to negotiate with third parties!

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I hated most of world of light.

The first section of the game is fun, that much is sure, but once you get to the world of dark it starts to become REALLY tedious and by the third world I just wanted it to end.

To me personally the whole thing just feels like Sakurai giving us a middle finger. "You wanted a story mode? Bam! We repurposed event mode and gave it more grinding! You wanted a platforming stage? Bam! The final stage of the game sucks! You wanted Shantae, Geno and Rayman? Bam! I got the rights to them just to kill them off! Screw you, never ask me for anything ever again!"

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I hated most of world of light.

The first section of the game is fun, that much is sure, but once you get to the world of dark it starts to become REALLY tedious and by the third world I just wanted it to end.

To me personally the whole thing just feels like Sakurai giving us a middle finger. "You wanted a story mode? Bam! We repurposed event mode and gave it more grinding! You wanted a platforming stage? Bam! The final stage of the game sucks! You wanted Shantae, Geno and Rayman? Bam! I got the rights to them just to kill them off! Screw you, never ask me for anything ever again!"
This is really a childish way of thinking.

Just because you didn't get what exactly you wanted or disliked a mode doesn't mean the director is actively trying to offend you.

Also, "us"? Speak for yourself.

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
As everyone is going all in I might as well drop my strongest unpopular opinion I hold. I don't care for the Gamecube controller at all I think it looks like a pig's kidney.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
World of Light and the singleplayer grind with spirits is very entertaining. I understand why some people don't like it but honestly it suits me fine. I just wish it was more story oriented with cutscenes and interactions between characters like in SSE but I also understand that there were major time constraints. It's fun to see a character you like such as Marx or Calamity Ganon end up being some of the coolest spirits in the game.
That being said, the way some of the spirits are organized is a bit disappointing. When I got my Geno spirit (which I earned from the bull**** hard spirit battle he has) and leveled him up to 99, he had exactly 10,000 strength. I though that since the number was that damn precise 10,000 must be the strongest a spirit can get and I unlocked the best spirit in the game. Later on, I summoned a Daroach spirit, enhanced him to Dark Daroach, and leveled him up to 99 as well, and level 99 Dark Daroach is almost strictly better than level 99 Geno. I basically had no use for my Geno spirit anymore. It was a bit disappointing to see a spirit I spent so much effort unlocking suddenly have almost no use. Spirits should be organized so that each one has its benefits and no spirit is strictly or almost strictly better than another.

Some of the Spirit battles are ridiculously hard too. Instead of making an interesting battle that seems to re-create a fight against the spirit, the game developers instead made the conditions more unfair when it came to higher level spirits. For example, the Shine Sprite spirit has you pitted against an invincible Rosalina, with her final smash, against three Kirbys on Delfino. Yeah, a four on one with everything pitted against you. I had to cheese it with an offstage Final Smash in order to win. That battle would have been a lot more entertaining if it were against Bowser Jr. who is attracted to star-related items or just Rosalina with her Final Smash and minu the three Kirbys.

I also dislike how lazy some of the spirit battles are organized. I feel like all of the spirits that are big, lanky characters are versus a super armor King K. Rool. Come on, there could have been a better way to organize that, right? And all of the Street Fighter battles are no better. They're all just low jump stamina battles, they all feel the same after a little while and it gets boring.

I wish that the four platform layout in the battle against Galeem could be a layout we could use on normal stages in versus battles. Just felt like throwing it out there.
Hadokeyblade Hadokeyblade Shantae, Rayman, and Geno all had a fat chance of getting into Smash anyway so it's no surprise that they're spirits. If you feel offended or that Sakurai is trying to attack you by not making them fighters you're acting like an entitled baby. Just get over it like everyone else has, for crying out loud.

R O F L

Smash Ace
Ultimate's menus are still bad.

also japan really likes fire emblem more than Kirby
What? Do you know how much bigger Kirby is in Japan then anywhere else? Hell, Magolor, a character with only one major appearance in the Kirby franchise, and Bandana Dee, another character who also only had one major appearance at the time, were both in the top 5 of the Japanese ballot results. For more proof just look at the Japanese Kirby website.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

What? Do you know how much bigger Kirby is in Japan then anywhere else? Hell, Magolor, a character with only one major appearance in the Kirby franchise, and Bandana Dee, another character who also only had one major appearance at the time, were both in the top 5 of the Japanese ballot results. For more proof just look at the Japanese Kirby website.
The menus, functionally, are very good. Design's a bit boring in areas but it is much better than Smash 4's horrid user interface.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

I see you are educated as well.

I like the menus but I understand why they might seem bad. I wish we could just get a Brawl style menu back.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
World of Light and the singleplayer grind with spirits is very entertaining. I understand why some people don't like it but honestly it suits me fine. I just wish it was more story oriented with cutscenes and interactions between characters like in SSE but I also understand that there were major time constraints. It's fun to see a character you like such as Marx or Calamity Ganon end up being some of the coolest spirits in the game.
That being said, the way some of the spirits are organized is a bit disappointing. When I got my Geno spirit (which I earned from the bull**** hard spirit battle he has) and leveled him up to 99, he had exactly 10,000 strength. I though that since the number was that damn precise 10,000 must be the strongest a spirit can get and I unlocked the best spirit in the game. Later on, I summoned a Daroach spirit, enhanced him to Dark Daroach, and leveled him up to 99 as well, and level 99 Dark Daroach is almost strictly better than level 99 Geno. I basically had no use for my Geno spirit anymore. It was a bit disappointing to see a spirit I spent so much effort unlocking suddenly have almost no use. Spirits should be organized so that each one has its benefits and no spirit is strictly or almost strictly better than another.
Hadokeyblade Hadokeyblade Shantae, Rayman, and Geno all had a fat chance of getting into Smash anyway so it's no surprise that they're spirits. If you feel offended or that Sakurai is trying to attack you by not making them fighters you're acting like an entitled baby. Just get over it like everyone else has, for crying out loud.
Daroach isn't objectively better than the Geno spirit by any means, it just suited your main better. Not every characters has a fire/explosion move, you know. You may not have had a use for the Geno spirit, but other people do.

Also the Geno spirit fight isn't that hard just use DK with any three slot defensive primary, great zapfish, and rock mario.

Plus, what makes you say they had a fat chance? Before November, Piranha Plant and Joker had no chance of getting in; before August, Simon and K Rool had a very slim chance of getting in; before June, Ridley was never going to be in. See what I'm getting at? In fact, Geno was considered very likely given how many fan favorites they were adding, and the Grinch leak only added to his credibility. Though Shantae and Rayman were less popular, they most certainly did not have a "fat chance".

Almand

Smash Journeyman
I don't like how they approached Echoes in general. I think all of them should've been like Ken; a few unique moves, different attributes, but very obviously based on the original character. Daisy, Richter, and Dark Samus are identical to their bases aside from the obvious changes to animations and voice, so it just comes off as a big wasted opportunity.

I'm glad Daisy's in, don't get me wrong, she was the only character I really wanted, but I'm a bit underwhelmed by how she (and others) turned out.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
I don't like how they approached Echoes in general. I think all of them should've been like Ken; a few unique moves, different attributes, but very obviously based on the original character. Daisy, Richter, and Dark Samus are identical to their bases aside from the obvious changes to animations and voice, so it just comes off as a big wasted opportunity.

I'm glad Daisy's in, don't get me wrong, she was the only character I really wanted, but I'm a bit underwhelmed by how she (and others) turned out.
They have a name. Semi-clones. Like Lucas, Falco, Young/Toon Link, Dr. Mario, Isabelle, etc.

Almand

Smash Journeyman
They have a name. Semi-clones. Like Lucas, Falco, Young/Toon Link, Dr. Mario, Isabelle, etc.
Ken is an echo of Ryu, which is what I was referencing. He's faster and has a couple different moves (Up Air, Up B, Side B, command inputs, etc.), but most moves' utility and animations are 100% identical. I'm going off that, though I do agree that Ken is pretty much a semi-clone they crammed the Echo title onto. Characters like Young Link, Pichu, or Dr. Mario would probably be Echoes under that same logic, but I digress.

I would prefer semi-clones (or perhaps a mix between that and Echo) over what we have now, essentially.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
The Nintendog Assist Trophy should be redone with a different character actually owned and created by Nintendo.

Look Sakurai...Nintendo doesn't OWN the concept of dogs. They just own the game mechanics and music of the Nintendogs (+ cats) games. It's weird that an Assist Trophy summons a real-*ss dog when the same "cute thing that blocks the screen" idea can go to something else.

Thing of your favorite cute Nintendo creature. A Pokémon, a Mario enemy, a Zelda species, anything. I'd rather have something like Poochy from the Yoshi series blocking the screen, for example.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
The Nintendog Assist Trophy should be redone with a different character actually owned and created by Nintendo.

Look Sakurai...Nintendo doesn't OWN the concept of dogs. They just own the game mechanics and music of the Nintendogs (+ cats) games. It's weird that an Assist Trophy summons a real-*ss dog when the same "cute thing that blocks the screen" idea can go to something else.

Thing of your favorite cute Nintendo creature. A Pokémon, a Mario enemy, a Zelda species, anything. I'd rather have something like Poochy from the Yoshi series blocking the screen, for example.
Or better yet, just remove the Nintendogs Assist Trophy cold turkey. It's positively groan-inducing whenever it comes up in a match since it slows gameplay down to a halt and the novelty of it ran out ages ago. We have too many "aw dammit, this guy" Assist Trophies anyhow; at least Nintendog was unique in that regard in Brawl.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace

Lmao, I agree with this so hard. What cracks me up is that "Toy Poodle" is a spirit--Nintendo, I'm pretty sure you guys didn't create this character! I think credit for this should go directly to God himself!

And yeah, I don't like these kinds of ATs either. Nintendog and Devil are pretty annoying, but I like more straight-forward ones like Zero and Krystal. Guess that's Smash Bros for you though.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I guess that's why they removed the Fan, Nintendo doesn't own the concept of paper fans.

EDIT: It's sarcasm, if you can't tell.

Last edited:

Manonymous

Smash Journeyman

Actually, I would love to have a cute Poochy blocking the screen (when I'm wining of course ;) ) !

Nothing related to your post, but :
I think that the Nintendog could be a really fun character to use. People tend to forget that Smash is also about Nintendo history. So, putting old characters from old franchise is one of the core idea of Smash. Now, they just want fan favorites. Personally, I would love to see odd/strange characters more often. Give me Dr Lobe, a Nintendog, Doshin, a Style Savvy character, a Hanafuda, even a frickin Virtual Boy ! As long as they are cool and fun !

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman

But it’s because they come up close to the screen in the actual Nintendogs games?? It makes sense if you’ve played it which I assume you haven’t. I don’t know any other cute character that comes up close to the screen and licks the screen in their own game which could replace the Nintendog assist trophy.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I dunno.

I think the Nintendog is a pretty amazing assist trophy.

It's the perfect kind of character for the role in that they are from major IPs but cannot fight.

Plus I like puppies.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Plus, what makes you say they had a fat chance? Before November, Piranha Plant and Joker had no chance of getting in; before August, Simon and K Rool had a very slim chance of getting in; before June, Ridley was never going to be in. See what I'm getting at? In fact, Geno was considered very likely given how many fan favorites they were adding, and the Grinch leak only added to his credibility. Though Shantae and Rayman were less popular, they most certainly did not have a "fat chance".
Sakurai confirmed early on that the roster selection for Ultimate was primarily based on the ballot results. Wolf, Snake and the Ice Climbers appeared high up, so it only made sense for them to simply bring everyone back. King K. Rool was number one, and Ridley was in the top 4 (So was Bandana Dee, poor fella), so it also made sense for them to be in. Piranha Plant is more or less a joke fighter and was added on Sakurai's whim. Same for Joker.

To be fair, Geno also appeared high up, but considering how Squeenix still only has two songs in the game it seemed unlikely to me at least that we were going to see extra content from them in the base game. I'm not denying that he's popular but the inclusion of Geno in the game isn't exactly up to Nintendo.

It should have been obvious that Shantae wasn't going to be a fighter. Sakurai said to expect "not too many" newcomers. Did it seem likely that the extremely limited newcomer selection was going to include an indie character, who didn't place high at all on the official ballot, and had little history with Nintendo was going to suddenly make it to the roster? I said this before: If Shovel Knight is an assist trophy, there's no way Shantae is a fighter. She's not relevant enough to Nintendo.

Rayman also should have been obvious. With such a limited newcomer selection, there was not going to be enough room for two third party fighters. After the Belmonts got revealed I stopped expecting any non-echo third parties (I speculated Ken as a Ryu echo for a while) to suddenly become a fighter.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Everyone claims they know who ranked highest on the results but everyone is wrong except for me.

We know Bayonetta ranked high and that's it.

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Sakurai confirmed early on that the roster selection for Ultimate was primarily based on the ballot results. Wolf, Snake and the Ice Climbers appeared high up, so it only made sense for them to simply bring everyone back. King K. Rool was number one, and Ridley was in the top 4 (So was Bandana Dee, poor fella), so it also made sense for them to be in. Piranha Plant is more or less a joke fighter and was added on Sakurai's whim. Same for Joker.

To be fair, Geno also appeared high up, but considering how Squeenix still only has two songs in the game it seemed unlikely to me at least that we were going to see extra content from them in the base game. I'm not denying that he's popular but the inclusion of Geno in the game isn't exactly up to Nintendo.

It should have been obvious that Shantae wasn't going to be a fighter. Sakurai said to expect "not too many" newcomers. Did it seem likely that the extremely limited newcomer selection was going to include an indie character, who didn't place high at all on the official ballot, and had little history with Nintendo was going to suddenly make it to the roster? I said this before: If Shovel Knight is an assist trophy, there's no way Shantae is a fighter. She's not relevant enough to Nintendo.

Rayman also should have been obvious. With such a limited newcomer selection, there was not going to be enough room for two third party fighters. After the Belmonts got revealed I stopped expecting any non-echo third parties (I speculated Ken as a Ryu echo for a while) to suddenly become a fighter.
Ballot results aren't out yet though.

Also who's to say that he wouldn't have included an indie character? The companies are way easier to negotiate with, and Shantae (despite being a little niche) is still pretty popular in Japan.

Rayman I agree probably scored lower, though.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Everyone claims they know who ranked highest on the results but everyone is wrong except for me.

We know Bayonetta ranked high and that's it.
Nah, we know K. Rool ranked high as well.

LightningHelix

Smash Cadet
This may or may not be an unpopular opinion, but this version of smash feels like it might be the most balanced despite the large cast. It's not perfect of course but the top "tiers" don't feel overwhelmingly better than cloud and Bayonetta in smash 4 or metaknight in brawl.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
This may or may not be an unpopular opinion, but this version of smash feels like it might be the most balanced despite the large cast. It's not perfect of course but the top "tiers" don't feel overwhelmingly better than cloud and Bayonetta in smash 4 or metaknight in brawl.
I still don't understand why everyone is saying that Chrom and Roy are good. They're both awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom