• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
He's a clone that can be built off a pre-existing character, is the second most popular male character in FE, and through a combination of basic logic and developer comments I'd bet money on Binding Blade being the next remake.

I'd expect him to survive a reboot, even (they'd probably want as many clones and semi-clones in as they could).
He's popular purely because of Smash.
Do you know how many people I see actually talk about Roy as a character and a unit in FE6? Barely any. Also helped by NEVER getting an official localization.

Otherwise, without the Smash boost, he'd be more forgotten than Leif is. Hell, his game didn't even EXIST before Smash. He's the closest we have to an actal Smash OC.

Besides that, it doesn't change the fact that Roy ****ing sucks and that ANY other Sword Lord would be better. Especially considering how his demeanor in Smash doesn't even fit him and is opposite to how he acts in FE6.
If you want a brash, in your face character, that wields a one-handed sword, Alm is right there. If not him, than Seliph, or Leif, or Sigurd.

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Do you know how many people I see actually talk about Roy as a character and a unit in FE6? Barely any. Also helped by NEVER getting an official localization.

Otherwise, without the Smash boost, he'd be more forgotte than Leif is. Hell, his game didn't even EXIST before Smash. He's the closest we have to a Smash OC.

Besides that, it doesn't change the fact that Roy ****ing sucks and that ANY other Sword Lord would be better. Especially considering how his demeanor in Smash doesn't even fit him and is opposite to how he acts in FE6.
If you want a brash, in your face character, that wields a one-handed sword, Alm is right there. If not him, than Seliph, or Leif, or Sigurd.
I never denied any of that. (Though Captain Falcon has him well and truly beat as far as being a Smash OC concerns.)

Though Alm's been completely whitewashed of those traits as of SoV and is now a generic nice guy.

But like it or not, Roy is popular and would be an easy addition even if they were to restart from scratch. That's all I said, and I don't really see anybody arguing against those points.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I never denied any of that. (Though Captain Falcon has him well and truly beat as far as being a Smash OC concerns.)

Though Alm's been completely whitewashed of those traits as of SoV and is now a generic nice guy.

But like it or not, Roy is popular and would be an easy addition even if they were to restart from scratch. That's all I said, and I don't really see anybody arguing against those points.
Because it's hard and "Roy stole the slot of the lord I'd prefer" is easy.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Because it's not wrong. It's just a pointless deflection from the discussion as to "why people don't like Roy despite his popularity".
For comparison, it's also not wrong to say that Fire Emblem Awakening sold the most out of any Fire Emblem before it, but that doesn't justify its dozens upon dozens of flaws that such a fact is trying to justify.

If the original post was explaining why people that actually give a damn about Fire Emblem don't like him despite all the people petitioning for him, then the point's been made numerous times and bringing up "but he'd be easy and appeal to the Roy fandom" serves no purpose than damage control.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There are no super heavy sword users in the game. The importance of aesthetics shouldn't be ignored, either. There's not that much difference between fire damage and electric damage, but it would be boring if only one type were in smash.
Yes, I think the point is that by looking at the Fire Emblem characters in Smash you'd think everyone in the series only uses swords. At the end of the day, a game like Smash is just numbers and hitboxes. It's how those numbers and hitboxes get dressed up that makes it interesting. So an axe user is not wanted because it would necessarily play differently, but because we want variety, even in just appearance. Same goes for wanting a lance or bow user or anything else commonly seen in Fire Emblem but not represented in Smash.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If the original post was explaining why people that actually give a damn about Fire Emblem don't like him
I like him.

I give a damn about FE.

And don't even make me sick ChronoBound ChronoBound on you.

You will drown in paragraphs.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I like him.

I give a damn about FE.

And don't even make me sick ChronoBound ChronoBound on you.

You will drown in paragraphs.
Yeah, yeah, I'm subscribed to r/fireemblem, I've probably already read something like it.

Every character from every game's got an exceptionally literate fan with an essay about why their favorite's are actually really deep with layers of depth hidden behind some dialogue in their support conversation that they never bring up elsewhere. I know. And if even a tenth of the fanbase had that knowledge, hey, maybe I'll turn around on Roy.
And besides, you already pinged him so I'm probably gonna get another one to be bashed over my head anyways.

Point is, I don't think you, me, or CB are exactly in the majority when we say we've played a fan-translated rom-hack of a GBA game made in 2002 and I don't think the majority of Roy players have even a basic knowledge of Roy much less CB's giant brain.

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
To be honest? I kinda hope the Fighter Pass will be the only character based DLC for Ultimate.

I want other DLCs to focus on more stages, songs, bosses, costumes, and extra/missing modes.

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Otherwise, without the Smash boost, he'd be more forgotten than Leif is. Hell, his game didn't even EXIST before Smash. He's the closest we have to an actal Smash OC.

This does actually remind me of another unpopular opinion, one that I think is more in line with actually being one:
Corrin is way too overhated, and is honestly one of the more interesting FE characters to play. In fact, if it hadn't been for Roy being DLC in 4, I doubt that their reception would've been anywhere near as negative as it wound up being.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Corrin touched a nerve with me back in December 2015. After the extravagant warm welcome Robin and Lucina received from both the game and the community the previous year, as well as the return of Roy, it was feeling like the Fire Emblem love would just never end. I thought for sure we'd be done getting FE characters after Roy. I would've put money on it. Ha, perhaps I even made jokes at the time, saying "I bet they'll announce the main character from that new FE game, we'll never escape!". I would've been pretty happy to see literally anyone other than The New Fire Emblem Character™, literally anyone...yet that was what we got. I was devastated (and perhaps a little too emotionally attached to vidya gaems). I never purchased the DLC or gave him a chance because of the disgust I'd felt at the time, and to this day it's never really left me.

But yeah, probably a really well-designed and fun character to play as. Guess I'll know soon!

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Corrin touched a nerve with me back in December 2015. After the extravagant warm welcome Robin and Lucina received from both the game and the community the previous year, as well as the return of Roy, it was feeling like the Fire Emblem love would just never end. I thought for sure we'd be done getting FE characters after Roy. I would've put money on it. Ha, perhaps I even made jokes at the time, saying "I bet they'll announce the main character from that new FE game, we'll never escape!". I would've been pretty happy to see literally anyone other than The New Fire Emblem Character™, literally anyone...yet that was what we got. I was devastated (and perhaps a little too emotionally attached to vidya gaems). I never purchased the DLC or gave him a chance because of the disgust I'd felt at the time, and to this day it's never really left me.

But yeah, probably a really well-designed and fun character to play as. Guess I'll know soon!
You and me both. There's a reason Corrin will be among my main punching bags alongside :ultbayonetta: and :ultcloud:

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
I've had a bit of a similar mindset with Corrin for the longest time myself, although with time, my friend maining them, and the introduction of characters I've really wanted I've since warmed up to them and gave them a fair shake. Not my style of character but at least now I can say I have at least some respect for the character/playstyle now.

Getting back to the original topic though here's an opinion I've actually never really encountered outside of my own head. I really, REALLY dislike counters. Partially because of the frequency they appear as down b's for characters but also because it punishes my playstyle perfectly and I'm really bad at dealing with it. I play very aggressively and like to keep wailing on my opponent whenever the opportunity arises, afford them no quarter as they say. So when I think I'm in the perfect position to do a powerful swipe or kick or whatever, my opponent just readies their stance and WHOOP, there I go, sent flying away KO'd because they countered my move. Always felt pretty cheap to me since it never felt earned, I go through all the trouble of setting up a really strong attack and you just press your down b and then you reap the rewards. Is it a problem in actual competitive play? Nope, not really, most pros know how to lay off and bait it out for extra damage, so it's not broken. But for me it's obnoxious, especially when I actually manage to bait out the counter only to have them do it again because I either don't know when the actual counter part ends so it's safe to attack (either because the hitbox change isn't 100% obvious or because I'm just slow). Maybe one day I'll get better and actually know how to deal with counters more effectively, but for now, I REALLY don't like them

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I've had a bit of a similar mindset with Corrin for the longest time myself, although with time, my friend maining them, and the introduction of characters I've really wanted I've since warmed up to them and gave them a fair shake. Not my style of character but at least now I can say I have at least some respect for the character/playstyle now.

Getting back to the original topic though here's an opinion I've actually never really encountered outside of my own head. I really, REALLY dislike counters. Partially because of the frequency they appear as down b's for characters but also because it punishes my playstyle perfectly and I'm really bad at dealing with it. I play very aggressively and like to keep wailing on my opponent whenever the opportunity arises, afford them no quarter as they say. So when I think I'm in the perfect position to do a powerful swipe or kick or whatever, my opponent just readies their stance and WHOOP, there I go, sent flying away KO'd because they countered my move. Always felt pretty cheap to me since it never felt earned, I go through all the trouble of setting up a really strong attack and you just press your down b and then you reap the rewards. Is it a problem in actual competitive play? Nope, not really, most pros know how to lay off and bait it out for extra damage, so it's not broken. But for me it's obnoxious, especially when I actually manage to bait out the counter only to have them do it again because I either don't know when the actual counter part ends so it's safe to attack (either because the hitbox change isn't 100% obvious or because I'm just slow). Maybe one day I'll get better and actually know how to deal with counters more effectively, but for now, I REALLY don't like them
Honestly, the next time you're in that kind of situation, I recommend grabbing the ****er.

But yeah, I don't care for counters either, but I don't like them purely because Down-B Counters feel like Sakurai either ran out of move ideas or-- and I'm pretty sure this one has happened far more often --designed himself into a corner.

Last edited:

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
Honestly, the next time you're in that kind of situation, I recommend grabbing the ****er.

But yeah, I don't care for counters either, but I don't like them purely because Down-B Counters feel like Sakurai either ran out of move ideas or-- and I'm pretty sure this one has happened far more often --designed himself into a corner.
Definitely been working on that, helps that my mains have a command grab special to use so that helps to mix up my strategy.

That's also another reason I dislike them, and one I can genuinely say is an issue that isn't just me being me. It's a really basic move idea that has been copy-pasted to a variety of characters, creatively it's boring and while characters like Bayo, Incineroar, and in a smaller regard K Rool (his counter only hits frontal attacks) are certainly mixing it up with them actually working much differently than just press button to counterattack for big damage it's still rather obnoxious how many characters share the same basic move. While I know nothing about the FE franchise it to me feels a bit annoying that with all these unique characters put into the fight (with Robin being the exception) all end up sharing practically the exact same down b with just small to minimal changes when from what I've been told by friends who are fans, they have a lot more to show off.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
There were just too many Smash 4 characters with counters. They all came at once--Little Mac, Greninja, Lucina, Mii Swordfighter, Corrin, Bayonetta, Shulk, Palutena; all in addition to Marth, Roy, Ike, Lucario, and Peach who had them before. Yeah, I agree that it was just incredibly annoying to have all of my attacks sent back at me by a counter-happy Lucina. I really hate to harp on the whole Fire Emblem thing, but six out of the seven FE swordfighters have counters. Six out of seven. And it didn't help that out of the 10+ characters with a counter, only Bayonetta really attempted to try something new with the idea.

Now, though, King K Rool is in the game...and he has a counter. And it looks really, really fun. So it looks like I'm gonna learn to love counters!

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Because it's not wrong. It's just a pointless deflection from the discussion as to "why people don't like Roy despite his popularity".
For comparison, it's also not wrong to say that Fire Emblem Awakening sold the most out of any Fire Emblem before it, but that doesn't justify its dozens upon dozens of flaws that such a fact is trying to justify.

If the original post was explaining why people that actually give a damn about Fire Emblem don't like him despite all the people petitioning for him, then the point's been made numerous times and bringing up "but he'd be easy and appeal to the Roy fandom" serves no purpose than damage control.
I'm an FE fan and am rather apathetic to him overall; haven't played his game (only the localized handheld titles, of which I've thoroughly enjoyed all of them with Awakening and SoV towards the lower end).

My point simply was that there's little point in complaining about it because he's likely going to stick around regardless.

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman
There were just too many Smash 4 characters with counters. They all came at once--Little Mac, Greninja, Lucina, Mii Swordfighter, Corrin, Bayonetta, Shulk, Palutena; all in addition to Marth, Roy, Ike, Lucario, and Peach who had them before. Yeah, I agree that it was just incredibly annoying to have all of my attacks sent back at me by a counter-happy Lucina. I really hate to harp on the whole Fire Emblem thing, but six out of the seven FE swordfighters have counters. Six out of seven. And it didn't help that out of the 10+ characters with a counter, only Bayonetta really attempted to try something new with the idea.

Now, though, King K Rool is in the game...and he has a counter. And it looks really, really fun. So it looks like I'm gonna learn to love counters!
Now that is the best ironic statement at the end.

Too many counters -> Not enough counters.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Smash has enough villains.
I wasn't bothered by it rather if any of the formerly cut veterans returned.
King K. Rool is the well done heavy weight.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Besides Lucas and Mewtwo, I actually didn't buy any of the DLC for myself, my friends who actually like those characters bought them for me since they didn't have the game and I wasn't going to buy them myself. Smash 4 DLC was an extreme let down for me.

To add an unpopular opinion... or at least what I perceive to be an unpopular opinion...

I never really felt like the purity of the "Nintendo All-Star" crossover was violated by third party characters, especially since plenty of the third parties so far may as well be honorary Nintendo characters. Simon Belmont and Megaman had a freaking TV show with Pit, and are probably more synonymous with the NES than he is. When Sonic came to Nintendo consoles he wasted no time in making practically his entire back catalog of games available while also making new original games, which is something I've never seen from other 3rd parties that used to shy away from Nintendo. And Pac-Man is... well, pac-man... pretty sure he's got a game on every system. The only third parties that really feel like they shouldn't be there is Snake, Cloud, and Bayonetta, though it may just be my ignorance of the franchise in Bayonetta's case.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
^I agree with you, except for the part about Bayonetta. Bayonetta was on PS3 and Xbox for her first game, but since then her series has been solely committed to Nintendo. Bayonetta 2 was a Wii U exclusive funded and published by Nintendo, and it even included the first game. Bayonetta 3 will be a Switch exclusive. I consider her an honorary Nintendo character by now as well. Pac-Man has nothing to do with Nintendo, let's be honest, but his cartoony appearance and moveset fit so well that I don't care. Cloud and Snake are really the only oddballs (Ryu is iffy too), and you can maaaaybe justify them with Snake Eater on 3DS and the upcoming release of Final Fantasy VII on Switch. I still don't really jive with them though, because...

I want a sequel to Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale. I want them to make an honest attempt at a rival for Smash Bros that takes all of the biggest icons of Playstation--Spyro, Crash, Ratchet, Jak, Alucard, in addition to everyone from the first game. In a perfect world we'd have Snake and Cloud in that game instead, but them's the brakes. Just imagine if we had a mascot fighter on Playstation that wasn't just a punchline, but a legitimate alternative to Smash with competitive potential. They just need to really try and make something special.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Yeah, like I said it's probably my ignorance of Bayonetta talking there. I guess it's also that she really doesn't feel like a Nintendo character, y'know?

I give Snake a pass because I personally like the character, and he had MGS3 on the 3DS, Twin Snakes on the Gamecube, Ghost Babel on the Gameboy Color, and two NES games, though aparantly Snake's Revenge isn't canon and the NES Metal Gear was made without Kojima knowing about it. I'm crossing my fingers we get a collection of the first four MGS games for Switch someday.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
^At first glance she doesn't, but Nintendo is pretty diverse when you think about it. Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus are nothing like Pikmin and Rhythm Heaven, after all.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
^I agree with you, except for the part about Bayonetta. Bayonetta was on PS3 and Xbox for her first game, but since then her series has been solely committed to Nintendo. Bayonetta 2 was a Wii U exclusive funded and published by Nintendo, and it even included the first game. Bayonetta 3 will be a Switch exclusive. I consider her an honorary Nintendo character by now as well. Pac-Man has nothing to do with Nintendo, let's be honest, but his cartoony appearance and moveset fit so well that I don't care. Cloud and Snake are really the only oddballs (Ryu is iffy too), and you can maaaaybe justify them with Snake Eater on 3DS and the upcoming release of Final Fantasy VII on Switch. I still don't really jive with them though, because...
I personally feel that Final Fantasy is well justified in Smash. Even though FFVII wasn’t originally on a Nintendo platform, the series as a whole still had a ton of games on NES and SNES before making its way to PlayStation. Maybe it would have been more appropriate to have Black Mage or Terra if they were going with pure Nintendo All Stars, but I feel that representing the series itself is more important. In which the face of the series is Cloud.

Snake is a little bit harder to justify. The original Metal Gear was released on NES, but even then that was a port of a computer game. Since then, Metal Gear’s presence on Nintendo is rather flip floppy. But Snake’s rad so I don’t care.

D

Deleted member

As someone who has never played a Metroid game in his life and his first will be MP4, Samus' Other M suit imo is the best looking one and I'm glad it's the one in Smash over other suits like the bulky one from Samus Returns (which frankly looks ugly imo)

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You shouldn't want more echoes if you think Young Link shouldn't have returned.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Young Link and the other semi-clones required dedicated development time. Echo Fighters don't; that's why they've been given a seperate designation to begin with.

If you want me to be nicer to YL, he should've been labeled an Echo Fighter as well (or have Toon Link be an Echo Fighter of him).

D

Deleted member

As someone who has never played a Metroid game in his life and his first will be MP4, Samus' Other M suit imo is the best looking one and I'm glad it's the one in Smash over other suits like the bulky one from Samus Returns (which frankly looks ugly imo)
It's been a long time since I read so many things that upset me in a single sentence.

D

Deleted member

It's been a long time since I read so many things that upset me in a single sentence.
Heh I guess that's why its an unpopular opinion :p

Idk i just like how sleek it is compared to the oversized shoulders of the SR suit

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I would understand this more if you were talking about, maybe, Falco or something.
But Young Link is kind of a bad example since A. He's a version of a character who's already playable, and B. His role for "smaller speedy Link" was filled by Toon Link.

Also it's more of a case by case basis depending on how you feel about certain characters. Maybe the person who doesn't want YL just isn't big on Zelda.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The thing is, there are more gameplay differences between Young and Toon Link than most echoes and the original fighter. That's why I think it's hypocritical.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
The thing is, there are more gameplay differences between Young and Toon Link than most echoes and the original fighter. That's why I think it's hypocritical.
More gameplay differences, but not enough to justify them being seperate characters to the laymen = dedicated development resources required.

Echoes are borderline palette/voice swaps with minimal differences = dedicated development resources not required.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
There was probably more work put into BotWifying Link than Young Link, if anything. YL could use Smash 4 Link's animations, BotW Link needed new animations for his right-handedness.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
More gameplay differences, but not enough to justify them being seperate characters to the laymen = dedicated development resources required.

Echoes are borderline palette/voice swaps with minimal differences = dedicated development resources not required.
Tell that to Ken lol

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I like the Zero Two remix from Brawl.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
The echo concept is dumb. The definition is vague, there aren’t enough echoes to make it worthwhile, it screws up the numbering system, Link/Young Link/Toon Link are 3 characters, while Marth/Roy/Lucina/Chrom are only 2 (what?), and being branded as an echo doesn’t make a character any more appealing. If anything, it makes them feel like discount characters.

GhostYB

Smash Apprentice
The echo concept is dumb. The definition is vague, there aren’t enough echoes to make it worthwhile, it screws up the numbering system, Link/Young Link/Toon Link are 3 characters, while Marth/Roy/Lucina/Chrom are only 2 (what?), and being branded as an echo doesn’t make a character any more appealing. If anything, it makes them feel like discount characters.
i disagree. it was explained pretty clearly that echos dont take up space on the roster and is just reused assist with minor changes to include as much content as possible without spending too much time. hence why they dont its numbered that way, young link and toon link do NOT count as echos since they have different moves that differs from the original character, with different properties. echos have the same frame data, properties, moves etc. only animations and voices are different but there has been special cases, like chrom.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
i disagree. it was explained pretty clearly that echos dont take up space on the roster and is just reused assist with minor changes to include as much content as possible without spending too much time. hence why they dont its numbered that way, young link and toon link do NOT count as echos since they have different moves that differs from the original character, with different properties. echos have the same frame data, properties, moves etc. only animations and voices are different but there has been special cases, like chrom.
Plus, Sakurai said that echoes can't have different body types. That's the biggest reason Isabelle is an original fighter. Link, Young Link, and Toon Link's body types are way too different to work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom