• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob4444

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 3544 6880 0804
If anything I hardly ever hear of people talk about my boi in the competitive scene these days outside of Discord. High Tier is exactly where I'd put him at the moment, although the question is how many characters will encompass high tier...
Almost every top player I've seen has placed Yoshi as top tier or at least close to top tier, and I really haven't seen many people at all, if any, regarding Yoshi as anything much worse.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
If anything I hardly ever hear of people talk about my boi in the competitive scene these days outside of Discord. High Tier is exactly where I'd put him at the moment, although the question is how many characters will encompass high tier...
Yeah Yoshi is pretty underrated, I should try him out more.

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
I know nothing about Fire Emblem, but after looking at all the FE Spirits we have, the characters look so colourful, cool, and different. How we ended up with 4 bland swordsmen is beyond me.

Only Corrin, Robyn, and Ike can stay.

Lissa and Azura look so cool! (Along with some others I cant remember)

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I know nothing about Fire Emblem, but after looking at all the FE Spirits we have, the characters look so colourful, cool, and different. How we ended up with 4 bland swordsmen is beyond me.

Only Corrin, Robyn, and Ike can stay.

Lissa and Azura look so cool! (Along with some others I cant remember)
The only reason we have so many similar characters is because those are the main protagonists of each game, except Robin and Lucina. And almost every Fire Emblem protagonist follows the same formula with a couple of exceptions like Celica or the guy from the sacred stones. Ones a magic priest and the other is a lance user.

It would be weird if we got Lissa over Chrom and azura sucks in her game.

Speaking of Chrom, the fact that we got him in Ultimate legitimately annoys me. Because Awakening didn't need 3 characters, if they were going to add a new Fire Emblem character they should have gone with Alm or Celica, there's like 4 versions of Alm's theme in the game but he's nowhere to be seen what the heck?

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I think Celica could theoretically be a fusion of Robin and Lucina, her main weapon is a sword but she also uses magic tomes like Robin, so I think she could have similar moves to both of them.

As for alm, he uses the same sword as Marth, Chrom and Lucina. I think Sakurai would use that as a good justification for making him an echo. Even if it's flimsy justification.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
But could Alm or Celica be an echo fighter?
Yes.
Alm actually does act and fights like how Roy does in Smash what with all the aggressiveness.

Celica herself, could feasibly be a Robin echo if you wanted to push her in that direction.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
But could Alm or Celica be an echo fighter?
Ideally, they would be a transformation character (or tag-team, to be more precise), at least in my opinion. One of the big things about Shadows of Valentia is that you're essentially playing two campaigns at the same time, where you can proceed at either at whatever point you want. The fact that they share a Spirit also kinda drives that home. Alm himself would admittedly be the weaker link in terms of having an original moveset, since he's just a swordfighter, but he does have some actual special moves that they could adapt, and he does use a bow in his promotion. Celica's just a lot easier to come up with a moveset, because of the various magic spells and whatnot.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I feel like that would defeat the purpose though. Chrom was purportedly chosen because
1. He could be an easy echo
2. He was very highly requested during the Smash Ballot days.

If they included Alm or Celica as entirely new fighters then you'd just be adding a new character for the sake of it.

Litty

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 7676 3996 5282
I think there are plenty of FE characters and we shouldn’t ask for more, let’s get other games into the mix so we don’t turn this into some anime beat ‘em up.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I think there are plenty of FE characters and we shouldn’t ask for more, let’s get other games into the mix so we don’t turn this into some anime beat ‘em up.
Finally, someone of thought. I have to agree. Even if the series has subjectively sub-optimal representation at least it has great quantity of representation (and frankly I feel like seven fighters is way more than the series deserves). We should wait until Smash 6 before talking about even more fighter possibilities from FE. I feel like it's time to focus less on the series and more on others.

Litty

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 7676 3996 5282
Finally, someone of thought. I have to agree. Even if the series has subjectively sub-optimal representation at least it has great quantity of representation (and frankly I feel like seven fighters is way more than the series deserves). We should wait until Smash 6 before talking about even more fighter possibilities from FE. I feel like it's time to focus less on the series and more on others.
Couldn’t have said it better myself tbh.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Literally the only FE character I really want -Black Knight- is an Assist Trophy. Wonder if he got the role because he wouldn't work as an Ike Echo.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Literally the only FE character I really want -Black Knight- is an Assist Trophy. Wonder if he got the role because he wouldn't work as an Ike Echo.
Bingo. Also probably doesn't help he's a very detailed model with multiple moving armor pieces and a cape on top of it all which would take far longer to animate than say Chrom who really only has the cape.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Both Kirby and King Dedede are really underrated although I must say Kirby isn't looking much better than his Smash 4 version. Although he's definitely not the bottom tier placement some people are giving him.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I just don't understand what it is about :ultlink: compared to :4link:. He looks cooler, he kept the absolutely beautiful dash attack, and the only real differences are that his bombs aren't as condusive to my playstyle, the boomeraang can't drag people in anymore, and Link doesn't tether anymore.

So why is it that I don't like playing as him as much in Ultimate?

Same deal with :ultganondorf:. They buffed the crap out of him, but yet he just doesn't feel anywhere near as fun to play as as he did in every other smash game he was in.

Speaking of Chrom, the fact that we got him in Ultimate legitimately annoys me. Because Awakening didn't need 3 characters, if they were going to add a new Fire Emblem character they should have gone with Alm or Celica, there's like 4 versions of Alm's theme in the game but he's nowhere to be seen what the heck?
I go back and forth between Chrom and Roy (and occasionally Corrin) for "which Fire Emblem character am I willing to scapegoat in order to defend the Fire Emblem characters I genuinely like being in Smash."

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Roy is by far my favorite FE swordsman and the only one I really enjoy playing as. He should have made the cut into Brawl instead of Marth.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
But with the exception of Dark Samus, K Rool and Diddy, they are all anime.

If we are cutting huge slots of the roster, I think that Wii Fit Trainer should stay unless we cut Captain Falcon and Ness and Lucas as well. For real, the Wii Fit Trainer was one of the only characters my mother got right besides the Mario cast. Okay she said Wii Fit lady, but I gave her a pass like Ash Ketchum

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Roy is by far my favorite FE swordsman and the only one I really enjoy playing as. He should have made the cut into Brawl instead of Marth.
That's like saying Young Link should have made into Brawl instead of Link. Marth is a lot more popular and iconic to Fire Emblem.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
That would have been very weird if Roy made the cut instead of Marth. Being the first Fire Emblem lord an all.

I just don't understand what it is about :ultlink: compared to :4link:. He looks cooler, he kept the absolutely beautiful dash attack, and the only real differences are that his bombs aren't as condusive to my playstyle, the boomeraang can't drag people in anymore, and Link doesn't tether anymore.

So why is it that I don't like playing as him as much in Ultimate?

Same deal with :ultganondorf:. They buffed the crap out of him, but yet he just doesn't feel anywhere near as fun to play as as he did in every other smash game he was in.

I go back and forth between Chrom and Roy (and occasionally Corrin) for "which Fire Emblem character am I willing to scapegoat in order to defend the Fire Emblem characters I genuinely like being in Smash."
Because both of these characters have really big changes to their move sets that you can't play them the same way as their smash 4 counterparts.

Last edited:

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
Here's an unpopular opinion, I think that Roy is the most overrated Fire Emblem character in Smash. The only reason why he's so popular is the "Roys our boy" meme. I also have no Idea why everyone is rating Roy as high tier material. He's a sword character who de-emphasizes on spacing with the tip. Why should I ever use this character when Marth, Lucina, and Chrom exists, especially Chrom.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Here's an unpopular opinion, I think that Roy is the most overrated Fire Emblem character in Smash. The only reason why he's so popular is the "Roys our boy" meme. I also have no Idea why everyone is rating Roy as high tier material. He's a sword character who de-emphasizes on spacing with the tip. Why should I ever use this character when Marth, Lucina, and Chrom exists, especially Chrom.
Because I like his voice and fire effects are cool. That's it.

R O F L

Smash Ace
Not sure how unpopular these are, but:
  • Brawl has the best art style.
  • Yoshi should NOT be his own franchise. Wario is fine and Donkey Kong should never be considered as a sub-Mario series
  • Letting the composers choose the tracks wasn't a good idea.
  • Ultimate's box art is bad.
  • We don't need Spear/Axe users. All stick-like or fist-like melee attacks use variations of the swing and thrust. This pretty much makes Spears and Axes identical to swords in terms of gameplay. If we need anything, it should be a flail, nun-chuck, dual-swords, or bow user.

Both Kirby and King Dedede are really underrated although I must say Kirby isn't looking much better than his Smash 4 version. Although he's definitely not the bottom tier placement some people are giving him.
IMO Kirby is worse than he was in Smash 4 and he deserves to be bottom tier. He lost most his DAir combos and still is awful in disadvantage and is still awful at approaching in the air. Plus inhale still sucks. I was really hoping for him to be good, he was my third or second best Smash 4 character. Hopefully he'll get buffed even more.

Last edited:
  • Yoshi should NOT be his own franchise. Wario is fine and Donkey Kong should never be considered as a sub-Mario series
  • We don't need Spear/Axe users. All stick-like or fist-like melee attacks use variations of the swing and thrust. This pretty much makes Spears and Axes identical to swords in terms of gameplay. If we need anything, it should be a flail, nun-chuck, dual-swords, or bow user.
I too like Brawl's art style, I haven't thought about if it is the best, but I like how crisp it looked at the time.

Only ignorant dummies consider DKC as a sub Mario series and DKC characters as Mario characters.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

IMO Kirby is worse than he was in Smash 4 and he deserves to be bottom tier. He lost most his DAir combos and still is awful in disadvantage and is still awful at approaching in the air. Plus inhale still sucks. I was really hoping for him to be good, he was my third or second best Smash 4 character. Hopefully he'll get buffed even more.
Yeah all of that about Kirby is true but he has some matchup advantages I think some people aren't taking into account. He's probably bottom ten but some people are putting him at the absolute worst like it's melee and I feel like they should just give him some time.

But yeah he really needs a few buffs.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah all of that about Kirby is true but he has some matchup advantages I think some people aren't taking into account. He's probably bottom ten but some people are putting him at the absolute worst like it's melee and I feel like they should just give him some time.

But yeah he really needs a few buffs.
I don't think we'll ever see Kirby as anything other than low tier again. Copy abilities require him to be balanced according to dozens of neutral specials and it's just easier to make him non-threatening as possible.

Though, I guess you can say it fits the idea of him being a beginner friendly character.

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
Well Roy was the first FE character that people overseas saw but ok

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom