• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
People keep requesting mewtwo movie's armor as an alternate costume and i keep wondering why they want to play with that clunky, uglypiece of tech that never wasn't an actual armor, but it was a "Supressor" to make mewtwo weaker and therefore more controlable. Thats why is so clunky!
It looks cool as ****,

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
I've always considered Wolf the real "joke character" of the series, since many of those expecting Krystal in Brawl were given quite the shock to see Wolf instead. He's even more of a "joke" character now that Krystal is an AT. This stands in stark contrast with my view that Pichu is not a joke character but rather a legit attempt to represent G2 of Pokemon.
... I don’t think you know what a joke character is.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I don't know who your obscure minimalist Ultimate support icon represents in your signature. Use their names.

On the subject of signatures, how hard is it to check if it's too long? I can't see your ****. And why not fix dead links?

Last edited:

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
Adventure mode is getting combined with All Star mode.
Bosses will be in Event Matches and All Star mode.
There will be event matches where all you're fighting is a Stage boss or an Assist trophy.
"Spirits" is actually "Events" "Specials" or "Squareoffs"

Daisy needs to be de-cloned in the sequel.
There may be a sequel.

Jigglypuff should have wind resistance slowing him/her down when they fly farther away, especially since balloons slow down when they're thrown or hit the longer they travel, even if they're hit with a bat.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I genuinely hope there's no DLC for this game. If anything, post-release development should involve occasional balance updated and quality of life improvements, and maybe, just maybe... actual skins for characters. No actual new characters, because then Sakurai is again tied up balancing and trying to please people instead of making some other potentially awesome game.

But wait, there's more. I think after Ridley and K. Rool I'm actually ok with no more unique newcomers and maybe just a handful of more echoes. Ridley and K. Rool are the ultimate (lol puns) demonstration of Sakurai listening to fans, and going beyond here leads into never-pleasing territory. I also very much hope that Sakurai was honest about not too many newcomers because, honestly, the numbers are ludicrous right now and these people need to stop and rest.

Also, I don't care much about there being a story mode. I'd much rather have a single player experience not unlike Smash Run where I can jump into a randomly generated landscape filled with obstacles, enemies from all these games, and other players, and see who can survive the longest or collect the most points or capture the most territory or w.e. else you could imagine.
Story mode to me just means high likelihood of unfulfilled potential (there's over 70 characters, there's no way you can balance a story mode to ensure everyone participates equally), and equally high likelihood that I'll touch it once and never again.

And something I keep thinking and hope doesn't offend any kirby fans... I don't think this series has a problem with character representation in Smash. Rather, I think it has a problem with character representation in its own games.
On the one hand, Bandana Waddle Dee is super recurring but... I haven't really seen his/her/its personality explored much in Kirby games. Dedede has a personality, Meta Knight has one... does Bandana Dee get anything?
Instead, the bulk of personality keeps going to one-off characters that don't reappear. You know what I remember when I think of badass Kirby moments? The villains. Daroach is a badass, so is Marx. Heck, Sectonia was a relatively weak villain but she was super awesome and her music was top notch.
tl;dr, it kind of triggers me that the best we can hope of Kirby in Smash is the fourth most recurring character who has the personality dimension of a Paper Mario Sticker Star Toad.

Lastly, I feel Incineroar is overrated and from what I see hardly anyone outside Smashboards thinks that thing is as popular as people here like to say it is. I'd love to see Vergeben or someone troll the fans and go "7th gen pokemon is not incineroar" just to see what pokemon people suddenly cry out as the most popular and obvious thing ever. I honestly never disliked that pokemon, but now I'm at the point where seeing it in smash would make me groan and it's replace Roy as go-to punching bag. (which admittedly is probably perfect given that its supposed to be a heel and as a result it's by design that we should hate it... maybe incineroar fans are actually brilliantly true to what the pokemon is about...)
edit: just for clarity, if it gets in and its fans are happy, more power to you and I hope you enjoy it... ESPECIALLY if you're one of the people who actually wanted that pokemon honestly and are not just riding the wave of vergeben once the decidueye boat got tossed aside. It's the bandwagoning leading to things like "such an obvious pick" "it's a lock" "is the most likely pokemon ever" type of thing that annoys me a ton since if it were sooooo obvious then we shouldn't have needed a proclaimed leaker to tell us to not consider Decidueye.

This post was so much longer than I initially planned...

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
leads into never-pleasing territory
This makes absolutely zero sense.
You could argue that for every single character in the cast. Smash as a whole, is a franchise that will never please everyone, as everyone has different varied wants.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
This makes absolutely zero sense.
You could argue that for every single character in the cast. Smash as a whole, is a franchise that will never please everyone, as everyone has different varied wants.
Ridley, Inklings, K. Rool and Simon were all so obviously desired and overwhelmingly obvious choices to the point it is safe to say most of the smash community was pleased at this.

Let's be real, no other character right now is as massively obvious or popular as any of these. We can talk all day about Isaac, Geno, Bandana Dee and w.e. else, and I can think of several people who would come here and argue over each of these being more logical than the other two.

We're past the point of obvious smash additions and I give it a couple of years before any of the more new and recent characters truly have enough of a following to be obvious for Smash.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
I'm not a fan of the LTTP Zelda design, I wish they kept Twilight Princess Zelda's design, at the very least make it a skin and not a recolor.

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
About the ballot: I think people highly underestimate Bayonetta's actual popularity.
I mean sure, she probably didn't in fact win or anything. "Realizable characters" can mean anything
But I'm pretty sure she didn't receive a small amount of votes either. Going by the ballot alone, if she wasn't included in SSB4, I'm pretty sure she'd be a lock by Ultimate. She was really popular ever since first gameplay footage of Bayo2 was unveiled, iirc

And something I keep thinking and hope doesn't offend any kirby fans... I don't think this series has a problem with character representation in Smash. Rather, I think it has a problem with character representation in its own games.
On the one hand, Bandana Waddle Dee is super recurring but... I haven't really seen his/her/its personality explored much in Kirby games. Dedede has a personality, Meta Knight has one... does Bandana Dee get anything?
Instead, the bulk of personality keeps going to one-off characters that don't reappear. You know what I remember when I think of badass Kirby moments? The villains. Daroach is a badass, so is Marx. Heck, Sectonia was a relatively weak villain but she was super awesome and her music was top notch.
tl;dr, it kind of triggers me that the best we can hope of Kirby in Smash is the fourth most recurring character who has the personality dimension of a Paper Mario Sticker Star Toad.
This!!!! Pretty much what I think of the whole 4th Kirby rep debacle. It's too bad Marx and other villains only got major support after the Star Allies bandwagon

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I've always considered Wolf the real "joke character" of the series, since many of those expecting Krystal in Brawl were given quite the shock to see Wolf instead. He's even more of a "joke" character now that Krystal is an AT. This stands in stark contrast with my view that Pichu is not a joke character but rather a legit attempt to represent G2 of Pokemon.
This. So much this. I really want Krystal to be playable in Smash (she's one of my three most-wanted, along with Bomberman and Vaati), and have been constantly disappointed in that regard. Seeing Wolf in the game instead was like a slap in the face.

As for Pichu being a legit representation of Gen 2, well... maybe a Gen 2 Pokémon not as closely tied to Gen 1 would have been better — Pichu literally evolves into Pikachu. I want to say Corsola would be a superior option, since I love its adorable design and think it could work very well as a bizarre semi-echo of Jigglypuff with similar special moves and opposite statistics (high weight, terrible at recovering and being airborne in general, damn-near impossible to knock offstage, requiring a patient playstyle rather than an aggressive one), but Corsola isn't very iconic to the Pokémon franchise. In that regard... um... Togetic...? Too small and stubby — would end up as Jigglypuff 2.0. Feraligatr? We already have Bowser. Miltank? Not really notable outside of Whitney's team. Um... Heracross could work - Japan loves horned beetles... Pichu works pretty well on its own merits — it's essentially a cuter Pikachu, and represents the concept of baby Pokémon and Pokémon breeding that Generation 2 introduced — but for an iconic Generation 2 Pokémon that could work as a fighter in Smash and isn't directly tied to a Generation 1 Pokémon, I think Heracross would be a better option.

Smash as a whole, is a franchise that will never please everyone, as everyone has different varied wants.
Um... since when has anything ever been able to "please everyone"?

Last edited:

Starchy

Smash Rookie
I'm worried about how balloon knockback will effect the gameplay. I haven't played the game yet so I can't say anything for certain but the way it has been described has made me unsure of how I feel about it. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'm worried about how balloon knockback will effect the gameplay. I haven't played the game yet so I can't say anything for certain but the way it has been described has made me unsure of how I feel about it. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Better than Brawl and 4

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Yep so here's my most unpopular opinion:

Remove the third parties and guests
:ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultmegaman::ultryu::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsonic::ultsnake::ultpacman:
Get them out. And if I could only remove one, it would definitely remove sonic. I hate Sonic: not just the character, but a lot of things about the series, and the fact that Sonic is in smash.
The reason why I hate third parties is because Smash's original goal was to become the ultimate Nintendo hall of fame. I wish it was that, but even after the first game was released big developers were already phoning Sakurai begging him to put their characters in Smash. Yes, begging “Hideo Kojima phoned me and practically begged me to put Snake in the game, saying please, put him in there, I want him in there!" (https://sourcegaming.info/2016/04/29/duflupdate/). Sakurai is a very patient man and unfortunately had to say no, since Melee was too late in development.

But I hate the fact Smash has sucked up to other companies so they can get there characters, especially since these games have done barely anything in return. I understand that Pac Man was added because of Bandai/Namco's help directing Smah, which is reasonable. But other than that...
:ultbayonetta:: Bayo has only 2 games. Not helping much, especizlly since Bayo 3 was announced a while ago and there's no word on it (Kind of reminds you of Prime 4, right?). And besides, Bayo doesn't really reflect the moral values that Nintendo's games have been built around (demons, live bullets, nudity, you name it. She defeats monsters by undressing).
:ultcloud:: Yet another Japanese speaking anime sword wielder to "celebrate history! Yay!" rather than meet fan requests. And square's history with Nintendo isn't that celebratory either. I think we'd all rather have Geno as square's rep than Cloud.

Cloud and Bayo were designed to be very good characters so they could reflect on theit games. The smash teams had no regard for the fact that this would totally break and divide the meta and the fanbase.
:ultmegaman:: I'm fine-ish with mega man becuase of Mega Man 11. He also has an interesting moveset. But I can easily think of a dozen characters that I would rather have over Mega Man.
:ultryu:: Same as Cloud and Bayo. He simply ended up as A tier instead of S. Not to mention the fact that crossing over to a different fighting system takes away from Ryu's character than it adds to it. And same as Mega Man, I'd rather have someone else.
:ultsimon::ultrichter:: Castlevania is a historic and memorable series, and I'm glad they did a good job representing it in Smash. But I wish Nintendo did a better job leading up to this. When I saw the leaks that mentioned Simon, I thought: who? And even when Richtor was revealed, same thing, even from big youtube channels. Castlevania is as left behind as F-Zero. And it's Konami. Any other company could own Castlevania and I would be perfectly happy. But it's Konami. And besides, same as Mega Man, I'd rather have someone else.
:ultsnake:Same as Bayo and Simon/Richtor combined. MGS is way over the top and nothing like Nintendo's game meta, plus Konami. If a character is going to be based around traps and blowing stuff up....that's what Bowser Jr. should really be doing (stupid clown car). His moveset in Brawl was lanky and slow, and it doesn't look too different now. I'd rather have someone else.
And finally::ultsonic:
I. Hate. Sonic. Sonic games have been down in the dumps compared to Nintendo. Yes I am aware of Sonic Mania, that's one game that wasn't even made in whole by Sega. Most other Sonic games since they went 3D have been uninteresting, slow, or just bad (I said most).Sonic games aren't even just Nintendo anymore, he's also on otjer rivaling platforms, so he's more of a guest than a third party. Sonic was designed to be an obnoxious character. His moveset is boring and uninspired, six of his attacks are just rolling in a ball, the rest, other than his up B, is punches and kicks. Sonic music is bad, and both of his stages have been pretty boring and not fun to play on.
Sonic was added to celebrate his own history. But his history is not progressive. If anything, I bet that Sonic's sales would be abhorrent if it wasn't for Smash (these scenarios have been proven true, i.e. FE: Fates).

In the end, for all nine guests, I can think of a better character to add (IMO). If I had to keep some, it would be Mega Man and Pac Man. Pac Man's position as a retro character is nice, plus both of them have interesting movesets that you don't see from the others. They're unique and decent additions to smash. AFter that, I could really go without the rest, especially Cloud, Bayo and Sonic. I hate sonic the most.

Did you read all of that? You probably disagree with me. If you do, I respect your opinion. I'd like to find someone to change my mind, so I can feel good about this. But I can't. If you don't disagree or agree with me, well, great. If you actually agree with me, join the club!

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman

:ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultmegaman::ultryu::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsonic::ultsnake::ultpacman:
Get them out. And if I could only remove one, it would definitely remove sonic. I hate Sonic: not just the character, but a lot of things about the series, and the fact that Sonic is in smash.
The reason why I hate third parties is because Smash's original goal was to become the ultimate Nintendo hall of fame. I wish it was that, but even after the first game was released big developers were already phoning Sakurai begging him to put their characters in Smash. Yes, begging “Hideo Kojima phoned me and practically begged me to put Snake in the game, saying please, put him in there, I want him in there!" (https://sourcegaming.info/2016/04/29/duflupdate/). Sakurai is a very patient man and unfortunately had to say no, since Melee was too late in development.

But I hate the fact Smash has sucked up to other companies so they can get there characters, especially since these games have done barely anything in return. I understand that Pac Man was added because of Bandai/Namco's help directing Smah, which is reasonable. But other than that...
:ultbayonetta:: Bayo has only 2 games. Not helping much, especizlly since Bayo 3 was announced a while ago and there's no word on it (Kind of reminds you of Prime 4, right?). And besides, Bayo doesn't really reflect the moral values that Nintendo's games have been built around (demons, live bullets, nudity, you name it. She defeats monsters by undressing).
:ultcloud:: Yet another Japanese speaking anime sword wielder to "celebrate history! Yay!" rather than meet fan requests. And square's history with Nintendo isn't that celebratory either. I think we'd all rather have Geno as square's rep than Cloud.

Cloud and Bayo were designed to be very good characters so they could reflect on theit games. The smash teams had no regard for the fact that this would totally break and divide the meta and the fanbase.
:ultmegaman:: I'm fine-ish with mega man becuase of Mega Man 11. He also has an interesting moveset. But I can easily think of a dozen characters that I would rather have over Mega Man.
:ultryu:: Same as Cloud and Bayo. He simply ended up as A tier instead of S. Not to mention the fact that crossing over to a different fighting system takes away from Ryu's character than it adds to it. And same as Mega Man, I'd rather have someone else.
:ultsimon::ultrichter:: Castlevania is a historic and memorable series, and I'm glad they did a good job representing it in Smash. But I wish Nintendo did a better job leading up to this. When I saw the leaks that mentioned Simon, I thought: who? And even when Richtor was revealed, same thing, even from big youtube channels. Castlevania is as left behind as F-Zero. And it's Konami. Any other company could own Castlevania and I would be perfectly happy. But it's Konami. And besides, same as Mega Man, I'd rather have someone else.
:ultsnake:Same as Bayo and Simon/Richtor combined. MGS is way over the top and nothing like Nintendo's game meta, plus Konami. If a character is going to be based around traps and blowing stuff up....that's what Bowser Jr. should really be doing (stupid clown car). His moveset in Brawl was lanky and slow, and it doesn't look too different now. I'd rather have someone else.
I. Hate. Sonic. Sonic games have been down in the dumps compared to Nintendo. Yes I am aware of Sonic Mania, that's one game that wasn't even made in whole by Sega. Most other Sonic games since they went 3D have been uninteresting, slow, or just bad (I said most).Sonic games aren't even just Nintendo anymore, he's also on otjer rivaling platforms, so he's more of a guest than a third party. Sonic was designed to be an obnoxious character. His moveset is boring and uninspired, six of his attacks are just rolling in a ball, the rest, other than his up B, is punches and kicks. Sonic music is bad, and both of his stages have been pretty boring and not fun to play on.
Sonic was added to celebrate his own history. But his history is not progressive. If anything, I bet that Sonic's sales would be abhorrent if it wasn't for Smash (these scenarios have been proven true, i.e. FE: Fates).

In the end, for all nine guests, I can think of a better character to add (IMO). If I had to keep some, it would be Mega Man and Pac Man. Pac Man's position as a retro character is nice, plus both of them have interesting movesets that you don't see from the others. They're unique and decent additions to smash. AFter that, I could really go without the rest, especially Cloud, Bayo and Sonic. I hate sonic the most.

Did you read all of that? You probably disagree with me. If you do, I respect your opinion. I'd like to find someone to change my mind, so I can feel good about this. But I can't. If you don't disagree or agree with me, well, great. If you actually agree with me, join the club!
I agree the extent tbh, no offense to any Sonic fans, but i hate Sonic aswell.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I don't mind DLC at all. I mean, I get it, no one wants to pay more than just the base game, but character demand never ends, and there's a lot of people who want to see their favorite and are willing to pay the price for it.

I think Vergeben isn't given enough credit as a leaker, despite being thanks to him that Simon got so much discussion to begin with.

No offense to fans and supporters of these characters, but Nintendo characters from recent games look incredibly boring, like really boring. I mean let's just list the three characters that get the most requests from that category:
Spring Man: A simple guy with stretchable arms.
Rex and Pyra: An anime boy with a human-looking sword.
And Decidueye: A Gen 7 pokémon.
Is this seriously the best that Nintendo can offer for their own game? Again, not wishing to offend any of their supporters here, but I can't find these characters to be any interesting. No wonder why Sakurai's choosing characters based on the Ballot now.

I didn't like Mii costumes in Sm4sh and I hope if there's DLC for this game, that resources go to actual alternate skins for characters.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591

it does not matter how well sonics games do now, smash is also celebrating the past and sonic is a huge footnote in nintendo history.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
No offense to fans and supporters of these characters, but Nintendo characters from recent games look incredibly boring, like really boring. I mean let's just list the three characters that get the most requests from that category:
Spring Man: A simple guy with stretchable arms.
Rex and Pyra: An anime boy with a human-looking sword.
And Decidueye: A Gen 7 pokémon.
Is this seriously the best that Nintendo can offer for their own game? Again, not wishing to offend any of their supporters here, but I can't find these characters to be any interesting. No wonder why Sakurai's choosing characters based on the Ballot now.
I agree with this, but I'm also of the opinion that all these recent games have significantly more interesting options than the "obvious" ones that people have chosen to support.

I'll take Min Min any day over Spring Man, the likes of Morag/Nia/Tora/Poppi/Zeke/Vandham over Rex, and Primarina/Golisopod over Decidueye.

NocturnalQuill

Smash Journeyman
Banjo and Rayman have basically 0% chance. Too many people forget about how licensing works. Nintendo has to reach an agreement with the company, and that includes both royalties and stipulations about the character. For example, Nintendo has to pay Capcom royalties for Smash 4, and Capcom gets final say on anything involving Mega Man. This is why a lot of third parties have such strange and boring alt costumes. Business-wise it doesn't make any sense for Nintendo to rope Microsoft or Ubisoft into things. Microsoft can say "yes" on Twitter all they want, that doesn't mean anything when it actually comes to the bargaining table. "Yes" could mean exorbitant royalties and all manner of demands for how Banjo is used.

Sakurai pulling out all the fanfare for Simon tells me that he's the big third party reveal this time around. We tend to get one of those each game. Sonic was way more hyped than Snake (although Brawl is an odd case since Sonic wasn't in when Snake was announced). Mega Man was way more hyped than Pac Man. Banjo or Rayman would be more hype worthy than Simon, so I don't see them happening.

Depending on how royalties work (if anyone has industry knowledge, feel free to chime in), it's possible that the more expensive third parties could make it as DLC since Nintendo might only have to pay royalties on each DLC sale.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
If a character is going to be based around traps and blowing stuff up....that's what Bowser Jr. should really be doing (stupid clown car).
have you ever tried pressing down special

thats like a huge part of using bowser junior effectively

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Here is one that is in favor of a popular character but is for a popular detraction against him

Bandanna Dee would be just as unique as King K rool is as a playable character

People have way too high standards when it comes to uniqueness because of Smash 4. Considering the fact Sakurai decided to give K Rool another counter as his down B and a fusion of other heavies' moves with his normals tells me he couldn't think of a super unique moveset for him. Characters don't have to be as far between as Bayonetta, Shulk, Villager and Little Mac are.

If you want every character to be unique or feel Bandanna Dee is generic because of his character in his games then I can kind of understand. This double standard, on the other hand, bothers me...and I feel it's because Kirby is just not as a popular as Donkey Kong and thus, BWD isn't what people want.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
I think we'd all rather have Geno as square's rep than Cloud.
:rolleyes: People on this forum are way too isolated from the community at large. Ask the average Smash player if they want Geno as a character and all you'll get is a blank stare. Wether you like it or not, Cloud is an infinitely more recognizable and marketable character.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Since I'm seeing a bunch of negativity;

Sonic is a very good character.
He is, without question, one of the best character designs in video games, period. It is simple, striking, instantly recognizable, unlike any other design, incorporating both classic cartoons and graffiti artwork. People who say he's poorly designed probably don't understand that much about character design and let their personal bias cloud their judgement.
His series music is nice, but I wish the dev team added more non-vocal tracks, there's some real stand-out ones.
The games, on the occasion they are quality, are really fun. The locations in the games are often strange and surreal, it's a shame we arn't getting anything outside of Green Hill and Green Hill as stages.

What a great addition to Smash! :ultsonic:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Waluigi >Geno.

The biggest argument people have against Waluigi is he has never had his own game, yet he's been in many many many Mario games. Geno doesn't have his own game, and has only appeared in one, and having a very minor appearance in another.

The other argument is he's only been in spinoff/sports games so he has no moveset, but between all of those appearances I'm sure Sakurai and team can come up with a unique moveset based on sports items, bomb ombs, piranha plants and other stuff, Villager's whole moveset is just him using items.

Enough about Waluigi, I clearly want him playable haha, even if he's been "deconfirmed" if there's one character that would sneak into the game, it'd be him and Sakurai does like to troll for sure.

I also think Geno is incredibly overrated, and I just don't get why he's so popular. I played SMRPG for the first time (and beat it) 3 years ago? He's cool for sure, I wont be mad if he gets in at all, i'd be happy for his fans and he'd be fun to play im sure, I just think he isn't as interesting as everyone else does? I think his popularity is just mostly nostalgia for those who played SMRPG back in the day, I played it after beating all the Paper Mario games that were out (first two or 3, the only ones that matter imo) and I'd much rather see Paper Mario.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
have you ever tried pressing down special

thats like a huge part of using bowser junior effectively
Bowser Jr's down B is slow enough to be easily punished.
Besides I'd like a stage based on his playhouse from Mario Super Sluggers that's chock full of silly traps and stage hazards.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Besides I'd like a stage based on his playhouse from Mario Super Sluggers that's chock full of silly traps and stage hazards.
As someone who plays a good amount of Bowser Jr....well Larry, his down B is very good, it's only really easily punished if you use it stupidly, like where it can be punished...use it when they are spaced away to cut their options and approach, or to edgeguard.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Okay I got one: We should cut and replace more characters rather than celebrate 'Everyone is here'

The gaming landscape changes, and characters who are highly requested at one point aren't always going to be desired or relevant in five years. In fact, the only defence I hear or some characters such as :ultjigglypuff: is that she's been here since the beginning. We should be tolerant as a community to shunt off older characters that few people actually play in game in order to shake up the roster. We don't need Toon AND Young Link, etc etc.

If we had characters, someone like a Palutena, who shows up for a game and fades away in the next game, we should be fine with that. Good for fans of that character to get to experience that gameplay. But it shouldn't be a lock forever.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Here is one that is in favor of a popular character but is for a popular detraction against him

Bandanna Dee would be just as unique as King K rool is as a playable character

People have way too high standards when it comes to uniqueness because of Smash 4. Considering the fact Sakurai decided to give K Rool another counter as his down B and a fusion of other heavies' moves with his normals tells me he couldn't think of a super unique moveset for him. Characters don't have to be as far between as Bayonetta, Shulk, Villager and Little Mac are.

If you want every character to be unique or feel Bandanna Dee is generic because of his character in his games then I can kind of understand. This double standard, on the other hand, bothers me...and I feel it's because Kirby is just not as a popular as Donkey Kong and thus, BWD isn't what people want.
The thing to take from King K. Rool is that he is unique in the sense that his moveset has ideas taken from fighter types that aren't heavy in Smash. Him having two zoning tools, both looking like they have potential to be very powerful if used effectively, showcases that they've made K. Rool unique because his has a combination of concepts we haven't seen in Smash yet. A Heavy Zoner.

Waddle Dee would do the same thing like you said, since we don't have a small character with a real disjoint yet. Adding concepts that exist to an existing fighter type that doesn't have that type of fighter yet doesn't really mean the character isn't original, because they can still have tools that can make the ideas their own.
- - - - -
I mean, isn't the starting point of a trap to set it up? You can't realistically set something up in front of your opponent and not expect to get punished haha.

StormC

Smash Hero
Seeing a lot of these posts makes me glad I got my most wanted characters in and I'm already 100% satisfied with the roster. Being bitter sucks.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Here's one: The massive amount of characters is a neat thing on the surface, but a lot of characters are ending up becoming all flash no substance because of it.

It's not even just echos, which whether you like them or not, have at least been advertised as last minute-wouldn't make it otherwise choices which makes them showing up as empty husks when it comes to canon references a little more acceptable; many characters are losing certain unique attacks and animations, and I don't believe it's just a balance thing. For example, Ike's up air is just a generic overhead swipe instead of the old helicopter swing. It could've been speed up or decreased landing lag to buff it, but nah it's scrapped for something that just so happens to exist within many other sword character's kit. It's small, but it's prevalent throughout the roster, and all it does it make characters across the board a little less unique which is most likely done to save time.

Even characters that get changes to be "more unique" are being vastly overpraised. People busted a nut when they saw Ganondorf finally uses his sword for some attacks, as if they were finally doing some Canondorf, thing is it's just Cloud's Down Smash, and Ike's Up and Forward Smashes; no unique animations based on his TP, WW, or OOT appearances, or a reference to his sword/trident throw which is arguably his most iconic attack (as Ganon).

It's just weak representation, and there's a lot of it to go around. Few characters actually have that feel of how you would expect, or have anything to truly separate them from a different character. A lot of them are in the game by look and name alone, which doesn't matter to the people that know the characters through Smash, but for a guy like me who played a lot of the series represented it doesn't have that feel of "who would win if _ character fought _" that I feel like was the whole point.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Okay actually here's an actual unpopular opinion of my own: third parties without some sort of legacy and iconic status shouldn't be in Smash.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Okay actually here's an actual unpopular opinion of my own: third parties without some sort of legacy and iconic status shouldn't be in Smash.
This one seems pretty damn popular, in my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom