• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I think most of the popular "Most Wanted Newcomers," are that way because of people jumping on bandwagons.
To be fair though most newcomers so far had been from who made it high in the ballot like Chrom, Daisy, Dark Samus, King K. Rool and Ridley. Can't say I'm not surprised.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
We now have so many characters that every newcomer feels less exciting than the last.
we plateaued, really.

I feel this was inevitable when we reached a breaking point of this many characters. At nearly 70 characters now it really feels like everything the majority wanted is here....and for many due to that the only place left to go is down for newcomers.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Okay I got one: We should cut and replace more characters rather than celebrate 'Everyone is here'

The gaming landscape changes, and characters who are highly requested at one point aren't always going to be desired or relevant in five years. In fact, the only defence I hear or some characters such as :ultjigglypuff: is that she's been here since the beginning. We should be tolerant as a community to shunt off older characters that few people actually play in game in order to shake up the roster. We don't need Toon AND Young Link, etc etc.

If we had characters, someone like a Palutena, who shows up for a game and fades away in the next game, we should be fine with that. Good for fans of that character to get to experience that gameplay. But it shouldn't be a lock forever.
I pretty much only have one comment.

Resting people with Jigglypuff is one of the most iconic parts of Smash to me and my friends.

That is all.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
And I absolutely hate it there, too. I'm not touching Street Fighter V until they stop adding characters to it, and every bit of news I hear about SoulCalibur VI is just making me less and less interested in buying the damned thing.
Well, to be fair, Smash is one of the few fighting games that does DLC right. Smash 4 expanded its roster quite nicely post release and Ultimate is including previous DLC characters rather than getting greedy and selling them apiece.

SSFV and soul caliber 6 on the other hand did a terrible job in that regard, alongside mvc infinite.

:ultdk: and :ultbowser:'s realistic animal sounds don't bother me at all. However, I'm worried they won't keep up the consistency and end up making K. Rool sound less realistic.
No need to worry, K Rool also has animalistic sounds based on what has been shown.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Not sure if an unpopular opinion but I don't want Heihachi in even though he's probably the most likely second Namco rep at this point.

One, he's already been in PSASBR and two he honestly seems kind of generic especially since we already have a similar third party fighting character in the form of Ryu.

I'd much prefer Agumon or Nightmare. They'd be much more unique and be interesting to see how they play. I can imagine Agumon's Final Smash probably be WarGreymon.
I agree. Heck, he's not even my top pick for repping Tekken. I'd much rather have either one of the Kazamas.

Last edited:

xwingz900

Smash Apprentice
Wii U disappointed me enough in this category, so imma just make this clear. There better be some decent single player (i.e. better classic mode, boss battles, Adventure mode, doesn't have to be subspace but I would love that). It will actually ruin this game for me if there is no improvement.

Only one more........SHUT UP ABOUT WALUIGI IT'S NOT HAPPENING AND I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR MEME CHARACTER!!!!!!!.........sorry, lost it there

Last edited:

PF9

Smash Lord
I wanted Pikachu and Pichu to have realistic fur like all the other non-human mammals, even fellow Pokemon Lucario

An avarage Doc main

Smash Rookie
-I'm GLAD Waluigi isn't in Ultimate, all he is to me is a stupid meme character with barely any reason to exist.
-I don't want more Sonic characters.
-I hope Ultimate is the last Smash game because there's no way they can top this.
-:ultpichu: was my most requested veteran.
-I think there should be more legendary Pokemon in Smash.
-I won't buy a Smash game (unless its used) without Jigglypuff.
-Sector Z>Corneria
-I HATE that they reused :ultmario:'s Brawl voice AGAIN.
-:ultdaisy: was my most requested newcomer.
-I NEVER liked :ultmario:'s F.L.U.D.D.
-Despite what I said above, I am open to a reboot of the franchise after Ultimate. I wanted everyone to come back so characters like :ultpichu: and:ultyounglink: could get a second and potentially last chance, because we're getting to a point where a reboot is needed for the franchise to stay fresh.
-:ultjigglypuff: should be at least mid-tier.
-Not sure how I feel about final smashes not being interactive.
-:ivysaur:,:4charizard:, and:squirtle: really should have been separate fighters, all of them being fused with:ultpokemontrainer: really squanders their potential, though I am glad Leaf is here.
-Wavedashing should be just strait up in.
-Magnet hands never bothered me.
-Indie characters (besides Shantae) don't really deserve to be in.
-:ultdoc:isn't an echo fighter because even in Smash 4 he was plenty different from Mario. Not really an opinion, just clearing some things up.
-Don't really like:ultwolf:'s new design.
-I always felt :ultkrool:'s support was just bandwagoning, but I'm glad he's here anyway because he looks like a blast to play.
-I'm aware of what Sakurai said, but I really wish they would've just used:ultzelda:'s BOTW design anyway.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Another one I’ve come to sort of realize that isn’t super popular.

Bandwagoning on to characters isn’t necessarily a bad thing. If people love a character and begin to show you the potential of that character, I don’t see a thing wrong with it. Opinion on characters doesn’t have to be set in stone, and with a lot of the choices left to add to Smash at this point, lesser known characters could use some overall bumps in support to be the new requested characters.

Though I still believe that it’s bad to be a part of a characters support group just so you can say that you were right or have some personal revisionist history.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Super Mario: Before we add another Mario newcomer or stage, we should remove some first, or make the current ones better.
DK: Some more newcomers and stages would be nice, since they removed Jungle Hijinxes, which I liked....Z
Zelda: Same as Mario. But the stages are fine. Death Mountain as a stage, anyone?
Metroid: Same as DK. Who's up for Sylux?
Yoshi: I'm debating with myself if adding Kamek would be a Mario or a Yoshi fighter. And although the stages are kkind of similar, it's all you can get from Yoshi. Who wants Randall as a fighter?
Kirby: More newcomers would be nice, I nominate at least 4. But before we add any new Kirby stages, let's take some out.
Star Fox: We've really reached the peak of what we can get from StarFox, I'm fine with it for now.
Pokemon: Same as Mario, both ways.
FE: Same as Mario for fighters. But before we add another Hero, I'd like a villain first. Now THAT would be cool.
Earthbound: Ninten as an Echo of ness, Porky and Masked Man. Please.
F-Zero: Black shadow as an echo. C'mon, I like villains.
Kid Icarus: A villain. Please.
Splatoon: Same as Kid Icarus

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Another quick unpopular opinion:

I don’t really see the appeal in Geno as a second Square Enix Rep, though that may be because I haven’t played SMRPG. I’d be happy for his fans if he gets in, but I’d personally vastly prefer Neku Sakuraba from The World Ends With You as the second Square Enix rep, as I have more attachment to him and his game.

In fact I feel a lot of people are sleeping on Neku’s potential in general

osby

Smash Obsessed
I really don't like palette swaps that change hair colours.

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
I dont want Bandana Dee in the game.

I think Incineroar would be a horrible pokemon rep.

I really wish we got way more all-new stages than what we have. I actually dislike a LOT of SmashBros Stages.

Earthbound's stages all suck given the amazingness and diversity of locations in the Mother series.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I dont want Bandana Dee in the game.

I think Incineroar would be a horrible pokemon rep.

I really wish we got way more all-new stages than what we have. I actually dislike a LOT of SmashBros Stages.

Earthbound's stages all suck given the amazingness and diversity of locations in the Mother series.
I agree with everything you say except for your first statement. I like BWD.
But a lot of the stages Suck rn, and Mother should have better stage detail. And I don't understand why people STILL want another Pokemon rep. Are you not satisfied with 9 fighters and 2 items dedicated to making sure as many Pokemon as possible make it in?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Geno should just be an assist trophy at most.
Honestly, I think that's the most he'll ever be.
To compare, a mule is a hybrid of a horse and a donkey. It's considered an animal and a living thing on it's own, but it has one exception: A mule can't reproduce. The mule is an awkward animal.
Geno is like the same thing. produced by Square, licensed and published by Nintendo. Since Geno is only from one game, a Mario first party, he can't be labeled outside of the Super Mario Series: He would be our ninth Mario fighter. But knowing Square, they would never want that to happen. They would try to make sure everyone knows that despite Geno being a Mario character, they invented him. But Mario being the biggest gaming franchise out there, that would be hard. Once someone is under the wing of Mario, it's hard to get out.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
And I absolutely hate it there, too. I'm not touching Street Fighter V until they stop adding characters to it, and every bit of news I hear about SoulCalibur VI is just making me less and less interested in buying the damned thing.
I don't think I've ever heard this argument against SFV before. I've actually really enjoyed looking forward to new characters and seasons, since I'm able to unlock them entirely in-game without paying a penny. It keeps the game fresh without waiting for an annual or biannual "super" update that you have to pay for.

Granted, Smash and SFV have entirely different financial models. I understand the general distaste for modern DLC practices, but I also feel like Nintendo has more or less separated themselves from that through what they actually provide, both in terms of the complete game and the timing of their DLCs. This isn't cut content saved for later; it's entirely extra content.

On topic with the thread though: I don't want Incineroar. Like. At all. He might be the only character I have ever actively disliked being on the roster aside from Dark Pit.

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
I really hope this game doesn't bother with DLC Characters. It'd be pretty ****ty to buy a game that calls itself "Ultimate" right in the title several years after the game came out only to find out that there are characters permanently missing from the roster because the online store was shut down. But it's not like that's ever happened before, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight?

Unless Nintendo plans on releasing an "Ultimate: Complete Edition" after all the DLC's been released like how SF4 and Skullgirls did it, they should just not bother.

Fine, then. I have a wish list of newcomers as well, but if they're not on the cartridge itself, then I'd rather they just wait until Smash 6.

Well then in that case, my sincerest apologies for not getting utterly sick of this crap in fighting games sooner.

*raises eyebrow* As opposed to an NSFW ssb irc?

I'm looking at a list of smash discord servers, and the only one with a decent number of people (ie exceeds 10 members) is SFW.
can I have an invite to it

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I'm hearing a lot of gushing over "Subspace 2" lately with this "Spirits mode"...so I guess it's unpopular for me to say I would be adamantly against a second Subspace mode.

Don't get me wrong. A well thought out single player mode with platforming and fighting elements? I'm totally down for that. I just think those cutscenes weren't as great as people are suddenly remembering they are. The days of no dialogue are over - sorry Norma Desmond :'(

osby

Smash Obsessed
Fire Emblem characters in general are more appealing to me than all characters of at least three franchises.

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
>I'm not a fan of the focus on returning stages while almost completely neglecting newer ones. I'd much rather have a set of 40-50 that's predominantly new than 100 stages that are 95% old.

>The fact Shovel Knight got in as an AT doesn't mean Nintendo's looking at "indie reps"; it's a testament to his game's success and popularity. Indies are just 3rd parties but inherently smaller and less popular due to the lack of a publisher and almost always digital-only releases. Shovel Knight got in on his own "merits". And I'll begrudgingly dive into sales here: SK's one game has broke over 2 million sales in 4 years. Shantae's 4 games have no solid sales data between them, with the only knowledge being that the first game was a flop so bad it nearly sank the developers and they didn't return to it for the better part of a decade. If any one of them had sold 500k or something, we'd probably have heard about it-- since that's a pretty big milestone for an indie game.

TL;DR Shovel Knight got in as an AT due to his success as a 3rd party; Shantae is far less successful despite being older and having more "legacy", so is unlikely to get in.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Personally, I do not ever want to see Isaac in Ultimate until I see Camelot improve at designing better games.

Camelot lately has been having problems with creating substantial quality content for their recent Mario spinoff games like Mario Tennis' Aces lackluster story mode (and the lack of content in general in Ultra Smash) and not fixing gameplay problems with Golden Sun: Dark Dawn like keeping the nonreturnable areas issue, the story having tedious pacing, and not following up with the previous stories of Lost Age/original after the cliffhangers.

As someone who has paid close attention to good game design/reviews/developer interview videos on YouTube for many years and loves RPGs like Undertale and Persona 4, I would much rather see Camelot earn their way to getting substantial GS content in Smash by creating sequels to Golden Sun that at least gets raving/praising reviews and improve upon its predecessors in substantial ways (story-wise and game design-wise.)

If Isaac did get in Smash Ultimate regardless of the personal issues I have with the studio, Camelot better make a damn good sequel that proves adding Isaac was enough of a motivation to create a sequel that outdoes its predecessor by miles, using their development time wisely to fix re-occuring gameplay issues within the series and refining the story. Whether Isaac gets in or not, I do not have confidence that Camelot will do justice to make a good sequel though, with their recent game having content issues in Aces. The studio will probably not meet fan-expectations with a Golden Sun sequel, with how they are developing/designing games now, stuck playing it safe with Mario sports spin-offs.

Last edited:

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Character reveals don't excite me anymore. Nintendo really needs to pull out something major to get me hyped. I'm really hoping for a big third party that feels unorthodox, or out of left field. I'm not talking about the Banjos, and the Crashes. I'm talking characters like Scorpion, Lara Croft, etc.. Everything else is just kind of... Bleh. It almost makes me wish that Nintendo had waited longer to make this so that new IPs could be made, or the ones they already have could be expanded on.

Also, sometimes less is more. Nintendo seems to be boasting about how much returning content this game has, but I could honestly careless. I'd rather have less stages if more of them were new, and not just recycled ones from past games. Same applies to echoes, and some of the characters we currently have in the roster.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Ok so not really Smash related but..

I feel that lumping a huge gamut of games under the label of "indie" and that there should be a sole rep for that just rubs me the wrong way and comes off as kinda pretentious and disrespectful in a way. I get that it's just an attempt to best describe this non-publisher based games, but not only does that work in some cases(Shantae was originally published by Capcom , Cave Story is done by Nicalis now, iD software is with Bethesda,Minecraft by Microsoft etc.) But it comes of too similar to those false " one 3rd party character per company" rules made back in the Brawl debate days...but worse in a way.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Donkey Kong, Star Fox, F-Zero.
yea those three aren't doing so hot rn.
Donkey Kong is getting ported, and it really only has 1-2 major releases per console (But I still want Kranky, Dixie and Funky). Star Fox's last real hope is the Starlink corssover--other than that, only furries want another Star Fox newcomer. Nintendo pulled the plug on F-Zero a while ago and there hasn't been a game in over a dozen years, so it's easy to take a dump on it.
But really those are three of Nintendo's not-as-successful-as-the-big-boys-but-who-cares franchises. It's too easy to hit on them.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm not sure if this is unpopular, but for me, the only JRPG Nintendo should make is Golden Sun (Camelot, technically). I honestly cannot find the core thread behind all Fire Emblems, and Xenoblade is one of the most ear-aching games I've ever had to sit next to someone playing.

Exactly what I was talking about. The game is not “ultimate,” it’s “special.”
...do you have Winnie the Pooh in your signature as a wanted character?!?

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I'm not sure if this is unpopular, but for me, the only JRPG Nintendo should make is Golden Sun (Camelot, technically). I honestly cannot find the core thread behind all Fire Emblems, and Xenoblade is one of the most ear-aching games I've ever had to sit next to someone playing.
Yes, it's extremely unpopular. Congratulations.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Yes, it's extremely unpopular. Congratulations.
No one ever said it was easy to be a visionary. ;)

I guess if I were going the fun rebuttal route, Id add in:
Unpopular opinion from Smash 64/Melee: Fire Emblem should get more characters.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Unpopular opinion from Smash 64/Melee: Fire Emblem should get more characters.
Yep. Welcome to the unpopular opinions thread. You qualify.

In fact, my unpopular opinion is the opposite: Since FE didn't debut outside of Japan until 2003, FE should not have been included in Smash until brawl.

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
While I get why some people want Geno, I don't think it's fair for him to make it in over other worthy characters since he's a side character in a game from decades ago. Others like Isaac, who is 1st party and the main character, and Sora, who is likely much more popular amongst the non-vocal Smash community and owned by the same company, all seem worth of getting in just as much, if not more than Geno. I mean, sure, the online Smash community wants to see Geno a lot, but I bet that if Sora was revealed over Geno, many more of the Smash fans and general gamers who don't engage in Smash's online community would recognize him and be excited than if it was Geno.

I'm a big Sora fan and supporter, but I see tons of reasons why he shouldn't be in the game. He's a pipe dream character that I'd love to see, but don't expect. I feel like that's where Geno should be for people, instead of being someone that many think is guaranteed to be in the game and needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom