• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
If that was the case, Shovel Knight and Shantae wouldn't have been ballot frontrunners.
We don't know that, though; we only know that the former did well enough to warrant an Assist Trophy, which doesn't say much, and that WayForward sent their fans to go vote for Shantae, which would largely explain any ballot presence she had.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
lol @ all the people complaining at the negativity. It's called the "unpopular opinions" thread. Many of these opinions are going to be negative; some might even be outright bad takes. you get what you paid for.

Back on topic, can we please not have anymore Starters for pokemon reps? Unless it's to round out the generations we already have?

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
lol @ all the people complaining at the negativity. It's all the "unpopular opinions" thread. Many of these opinions are going to be outright bad takes; you get what you paid for.

Back on topic, can we please not have anymore Starters for pokemon reps? Unless it's to round out the generations we already have?
I don't want anymore starters either tbh. Polemon Trainer adds enough, Gen 3 can have Deoxys or Gardevoir, and Gen 5 has Zoroark

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Yep so here's my most unpopular opinion:

Remove the third parties and guests
:ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultmegaman::ultryu::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsonic::ultsnake::ultpacman:
Get them out. And if I could only remove one, it would definitely remove sonic. I hate Sonic: not just the character, but a lot of things about the series, and the fact that Sonic is in smash.
The reason why I hate third parties is because Smash's original goal was to become the ultimate Nintendo hall of fame. I wish it was that, but even after the first game was released big developers were already phoning Sakurai begging him to put their characters in Smash. Yes, begging “Hideo Kojima phoned me and practically begged me to put Snake in the game, saying please, put him in there, I want him in there!" (https://sourcegaming.info/2016/04/29/duflupdate/). Sakurai is a very patient man and unfortunately had to say no, since Melee was too late in development.

But I hate the fact Smash has sucked up to other companies so they can get there characters, especially since these games have done barely anything in return. I understand that Pac Man was added because of Bandai/Namco's help directing Smah, which is reasonable. But other than that...
:ultbayonetta:: Bayo has only 2 games. Not helping much, especizlly since Bayo 3 was announced a while ago and there's no word on it (Kind of reminds you of Prime 4, right?). And besides, Bayo doesn't really reflect the moral values that Nintendo's games have been built around (demons, live bullets, nudity, you name it. She defeats monsters by undressing).
:ultcloud:: Yet another Japanese speaking anime sword wielder to "celebrate history! Yay!" rather than meet fan requests. And square's history with Nintendo isn't that celebratory either. I think we'd all rather have Geno as square's rep than Cloud.

Cloud and Bayo were designed to be very good characters so they could reflect on theit games. The smash teams had no regard for the fact that this would totally break and divide the meta and the fanbase.
:ultmegaman:: I'm fine-ish with mega man becuase of Mega Man 11. He also has an interesting moveset. But I can easily think of a dozen characters that I would rather have over Mega Man.
:ultryu:: Same as Cloud and Bayo. He simply ended up as A tier instead of S. Not to mention the fact that crossing over to a different fighting system takes away from Ryu's character than it adds to it. And same as Mega Man, I'd rather have someone else.
:ultsimon::ultrichter:: Castlevania is a historic and memorable series, and I'm glad they did a good job representing it in Smash. But I wish Nintendo did a better job leading up to this. When I saw the leaks that mentioned Simon, I thought: who? And even when Richtor was revealed, same thing, even from big youtube channels. Castlevania is as left behind as F-Zero. And it's Konami. Any other company could own Castlevania and I would be perfectly happy. But it's Konami. And besides, same as Mega Man, I'd rather have someone else.
:ultsnake:Same as Bayo and Simon/Richtor combined. MGS is way over the top and nothing like Nintendo's game meta, plus Konami. If a character is going to be based around traps and blowing stuff up....that's what Bowser Jr. should really be doing (stupid clown car). His moveset in Brawl was lanky and slow, and it doesn't look too different now. I'd rather have someone else.
And finally::ultsonic:
I. Hate. Sonic. Sonic games have been down in the dumps compared to Nintendo. Yes I am aware of Sonic Mania, that's one game that wasn't even made in whole by Sega. Most other Sonic games since they went 3D have been uninteresting, slow, or just bad (I said most).Sonic games aren't even just Nintendo anymore, he's also on otjer rivaling platforms, so he's more of a guest than a third party. Sonic was designed to be an obnoxious character. His moveset is boring and uninspired, six of his attacks are just rolling in a ball, the rest, other than his up B, is punches and kicks. Sonic music is bad, and both of his stages have been pretty boring and not fun to play on.
Sonic was added to celebrate his own history. But his history is not progressive. If anything, I bet that Sonic's sales would be abhorrent if it wasn't for Smash (these scenarios have been proven true, i.e. FE: Fates).

In the end, for all nine guests, I can think of a better character to add (IMO). If I had to keep some, it would be Mega Man and Pac Man. Pac Man's position as a retro character is nice, plus both of them have interesting movesets that you don't see from the others. They're unique and decent additions to smash. AFter that, I could really go without the rest, especially Cloud, Bayo and Sonic. I hate sonic the most.

Did you read all of that? You probably disagree with me. If you do, I respect your opinion. I'd like to find someone to change my mind, so I can feel good about this. But I can't. If you don't disagree or agree with me, well, great. If you actually agree with me, join the club!
I like the third party characters in their own right but I definitely get what you’re saying. There was just something more....”pure” about the first two games being a tribute specifically to Nintendo. I don’t even know if that’s the right word but I think y’all can get what I’m saying.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I actually wouldn't mind more third parties with less "impact."

Not every character has to be some huge gaming all star.

Last edited:

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I just thought of one. I’m not as stoked about the new character reveal trailers as I could be. The reason? They’ve got the same intro cards from Smash 4.

For one thing, it’s ammunition for people wanting to call Ultimate a port of Smash 4, but also it’s just not very unique. I like what they did with Daisy’s reveal and a more detailed version of that with new characters would be neat.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
As someone who plays a good amount of Bowser Jr....well Larry, his down B is very good, it's only really easily punished if you use it stupidly, like where it can be punished...use it when they are spaced away to cut their options and approach, or to edgeguard.
It's not that I don't like hs down B, it's that it's his only trap-related move.
If you ask me, I'd like to see Lemmy (my costume) have his neutral B replaced with an ability that can generate any sort of a throwable item (like Peach/Diddy) for more edgeguarding options and stage control

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
I absolutely despise the new ZSS design. I’ve heard that’s an unpopular opinion.
it’s not new though. nothings changed

I just thought of one. I’m not as stoked about the new character reveal trailers as I could be. The reason? They’ve got the same intro cards from Smash 4.

For one thing, it’s ammunition for people wanting to call Ultimate a port of Smash 4, but also it’s just not very unique. I like what they did with Daisy’s reveal and a more detailed version of that with new characters would be neat.
everybody loves the Smash 4 intro cards though

Also the game isn’t even close to a port. anyone saying that is just a moron and you shouldn’t care what they say

Matoi

Smash Apprentice
I dont want/believe Shantae deserves to be in the game and I dont believe she even has a realistic chance.

D

Deleted member

With the likes of Ridley, K. Rool, and Simon confirmed, I feel more than satisfied with the current roster. It's at a point where there aren't many other characters I can really ask for that aren't already disconfirmed or a pipe dream. Whoever else Sakurai adds, I don't think I could really complain.

D

Deleted member

I agree because those three franchises are so big, I don't see why people say they have "too many characters"!
Maybe, just maybe, they feel that being bigger franchises doesn't mean they can't be overrepresented. Even Sakurai himself was worried about adding too many Mario characters back when he made Melee, hence why Wario didn't debut until Brawl.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I agree because those three franchises are so big, I don't see why people say they have "too many characters"!
Um. Smash isn't about financial success or popularity determining reps. When people ask for Waluigi/Geno, and get countered with "too many Mario reps," it'sbecause they're right. Not because Mario is overrepresented, it's because they've done a bad job at doing so. Who asked for Dr. Mario back? The Mario roster has 2 Mario semi clones(:ultluigi::ultdoc:) already, Bowser Jr.'s design is pretty contoversial (I think we can all agree they'd be more fun outside of the clown car pulling movesets rom their boss fights), 2 peaches, and let's not forget that among Mario games Donkey/Diddy Kong, Yoshi, and Wario are technically Mario Universe characters (and King K. Rool if you played Mario Super Sluggers). People are unhappy with Zelda and Pokemon because of the same reasons. Half of the Zelda roster is just Links. Boring. And Ganon is only beginning to de-clone himself from Captain Falcon. Zelda and Sheik could still be the same character (See the Shield + B moves idea thread). Pokemon is mostly represented by earlier Gen pokemon and not as much later Gen. Greninja is kind of boring now that squirtle is back, we really don't need 2 water box based fighters form the same series. I'm also going to state my annoyance that Charizard is basically Bowser, since their playstyles are the same (get your opponent offstage, hit them with neutral B, or just upsmash or forward air).

Besides, if sales really were a defining factor, I can assure you that Kirby and Splatoon would have more fighters, FE would have less, and we would probably have a XC2 rep, and Odyssey/BotW might be represented more.

Lastly, who cares about sales? I don't want to see lots of fighters from the same series with the justification, "They're popular." We get it. They're really good games. But who doesn't love a little more character diversity? (I'm looking at you, Fire Emblem).

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Since I've been seeing a lot of people express disdain at how Bowser Jr.'s represented in Smash...
I think putting Bowser Jr. in his Clown Car for the sake of Smash was an incredibly smart move, and he would have been a lot more bland and uninteresting had it not been the case. He does still need to be buffed, though. Like, a ton.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Don't know whether this is an unpopular opinion or not but closest thread to say this never the less.

People clamoring for Black Shadow to be an Echo of Captain Falcon.

He can't.

Here's the issue. Black Shadow is bigger and heavier then Captain Falcon. For Echos to work they gotta be the same height and weight structure-wise. So if Black Shadow is to get into the game, he'll likely be in the same way how Dr. Mario, Toon Link and Young Link are. If anyone is to be an Echo of Captain Falcon it would had been Blood Falcon who is apparently deconfirmed due to being an costume once more.

UserKev

Smash Champion
The Pokémon Trainer shouldn't be in. Realistically, he's open and a completely easy target after his Pokémon are wrecked. If the Pokémon Trainer is using Pokémon to battle other characters in Smash, the rest of the roster are Pokémon. Charizard should have stayed a stand alone character.

Its really illogical, really.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Putting text to note it's a type of spoiler does not count as relevant text whatsoever. Please try to add something constructive instead of a meme reply.
Don't know whether this is an unpopular opinion or not but closest thread to say this never the less.

People clamoring for Black Shadow to be an Echo of Captain Falcon.

He can't.

Here's the issue. Black Shadow is bigger and heavier then Captain Falcon. For Echos to work they gotta be the same height and weight structure-wise. So if Black Shadow is to get into the game, he'll likely be in the same way how Dr. Mario, Toon Link and Young Link are. If anyone is to be an Echo of Captain Falcon it would had been Blood Falcon who is apparently deconfirmed due to being an costume once more.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
Um. Smash isn't about financial success or popularity determining reps. When people ask for Waluigi/Geno, and get countered with "too many Mario reps," it'sbecause they're right. Not because Mario is overrepresented, it's because they've done a bad job at doing so. Who asked for Dr. Mario back? The Mario roster has 2 Mario semi clones(:ultluigi::ultdoc:) already, Bowser Jr.'s design is pretty contoversial (I think we can all agree they'd be more fun outside of the clown car pulling movesets rom their boss fights), 2 peaches, and let's not forget that among Mario games Donkey/Diddy Kong, Yoshi, and Wario are technically Mario Universe characters (and King K. Rool if you played Mario Super Sluggers). ).
Personally, I don't consider Donkey Kong and Wario characters to be a part of the Mario franchise. I mean really, technically they're not Mario universe characters, because they have their own line of games with their own fans, and have movesets that pulls from characteristics they have in those games. Wario isn't even based off of his Super Mario design, and almost all of Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong's moveset is pulled from the DKC series. So I don't really get while people say that. Yes, they live in the same universe, but would you say the same about Tekken and Street Fighter? Those two games exists in the same universe, but are two seperate franchises. And I mean Mario appeared in Donkey Kong before Donkey Kong appeared in Mario, if we are being completely correct here. I don't me to ramble on, but IMO Mario, Donkey Kong, and Wario are three seperate series that should not be grouped together when talking about "another Mario character." Because, yes. like you said, King K. Rool appeared in Mario Super Sluggers, but Isabelle and Link apppeared in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I sure hope they aren't Mario characters

Last edited:

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I think people worry too much about a series current status when thinking about series that could be represented in Smash, rather than the series' legacy.

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
I think people worry too much about a series current status when thinking about series that could be represented in Smash, rather than the series' legacy.
id argue even “legacy” doesn’t really matter

Ice Climbers, G&W and Wii Fit Trainer were hardly iconic, well beloved and highly requested characters

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
The Mario Galaxy stage is one of the worst ones simply because the cheer wasted potential, you have SMG 1&2, two universally acclaimed games that gave 3D platformers new life, and the final product is a bland boring level that barely makes use of what made Galaxy unique.

My take on it would have been a ”tour” level that starts on Rosalina’s Comet Observatory and it will take you to different rotating planets and celestial bodies.

At least i can now hear beautiful SMG 1&2 music on actual good Mario stages...

Last edited:

Crash4Smash

Smash Apprentice
This has nothing to do with the topic. Discord advertisements are not allowed.
smash needs a sfw irc

Mod Edit: Link removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I really hope this game doesn't bother with DLC Characters. It'd be pretty ****ty to buy a game that calls itself "Ultimate" right in the title several years after the game came out only to find out that there are characters permanently missing from the roster because the online store was shut down. But it's not like that's ever happened before, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight?

Unless Nintendo plans on releasing an "Ultimate: Complete Edition" after all the DLC's been released like how SF4 and Skullgirls did it, they should just not bother.

INB4 said:
But all the other fighting games do it!
And I absolutely hate it there, too. I'm not touching Street Fighter V until they stop adding characters to it, and every bit of news I hear about SoulCalibur VI is just making me less and less interested in buying the damned thing.

INB4 said:
But it's the only way we'll be able to get [insert literally any newcomer]!
Fine, then. I have a wish list of newcomers as well, but if they're not on the cartridge itself, then I'd rather they just wait until Smash 6.
INB4 said:
But you weren't complaining when Smash 4 was doing it!
Well then in that case, my sincerest apologies for not getting utterly sick of this crap in fighting games sooner.

smash needs a sfw irc
*raises eyebrow* As opposed to an NSFW ssb irc?

I'm looking at a list of smash discord servers, and the only one with a decent number of people (ie exceeds 10 members) is SFW.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This game should not have been called Ultimate, as that name seems to have caused a lot of unrealistic expectations because people think of it as the “Ultimate Smash game.” The Japanese name is better in every aspect.

Sephazon

月に代わって、お仕置きよ !
Writing Team
NNID
Sephazon
We now have so many characters that every newcomer feels less exciting than the last.

Swaggy-G

Smash Apprentice
This game should not have been called Ultimate, as that name seems to have caused a lot of unrealistic expectations because people think of it as the “Ultimate Smash game.” The Japanese name is better in every aspect.
What is the Japanese name?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Not sure if an unpopular opinion but I don't want Heihachi in even though he's probably the most likely second Namco rep at this point.

One, he's already been in PSASBR and two he honestly seems kind of generic especially since we already have a similar third party fighting character in the form of Ryu.

I'd much prefer Agumon or Nightmare. They'd be much more unique and be interesting to see how they play. I can imagine Agumon's Final Smash probably be WarGreymon.

timrtabor123

Smash Rookie
I find it hard to get excited over new Pokemon reps. They feel very flavor of the week most of the time (that being said props to Sakurai for reading the tea leaves with Lucario and Mewtwo, Pokemon still heavily used in ads and merchandise, in Melee/Brawl). Jigglypuff and Pichu are clear examples of relevancy picks back firing even if I enjoy their movesets on a personal level. It's a shame that people that might've only worked on Pokemon games that are "out of sync" with the series's dev cycle (Gens 3,5,and maybe 7 and/or 8 in the future) will never get their work represented in Smash outside of items a lot of people will turn off.

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
This is probably gonna be a big one, let's see what I can think of:

Fighters

-I think of echoes as whole characters, and will have them separated in my roster. I'm sad it looks like echoes will be in the slot to the right of their original character, if you're gonna let people separate the echoes, at least put them in release order.

-I'm gonna miss :ultlink:'s Gale Boomerang on a strategic level, but I'm glad they're lining him up more with his BotW incarnation.
-:ultdk: and :ultbowser:'s realistic animal sounds don't bother me at all. However, I'm worried they won't keep up the consistency and end up making K. Rool sound less realistic.
-:ultpichu: is objectively the best fighter in the franchise and the fact that this opinion is unpopular sickens me.
-Really wish :ultyounglink: had Majora's Mask-related items...
-Alph desperately needs to be an echo with Rock Pikmin.
-We really don't need Isabelle, echo or unique. :ultvillager: represents AC perfectly.
-I like :ultmegaman:'s move set aside from the Down B (which may be better now that it's faster), it was weird to get used to but once I did, I liked it.
-I love that :ultwiifittrainer: exists. I mean, I never use her, but still. :)
-Miis (where are the icons?) should be playable online. A fighter is even a fighter or they're not, don't make awkward compromises.
-:ultbowserjr:'s move set is great.
-Not sure how unpopular this actually is but the PAL name "Duck Hunt Duo" is stupid. There are 3 members of the "team", and the "team" is called Duck Hunt. :ultduckhunt:
-I felt from the very beginning that :ultbayonetta: did not belong in Smash, and I still believe that now. :ultsnake: fits for some reason - hell, maybe it's just nostalgia - but Bayonetta just felt like the first mistake in the franchise for me.
-:ultridley: is too big. The down-scaling has made him look reallllly awkward.
-:ultkrool: was the last newcomer I wanted in Smash, anything from now on is just icing in the cake. Though I have since started really holding out for Skull Kid.
-I wouldn't mind not getting a new Pokemon rep. However, I think we almost definitely will get one. Super Smash Bros. is a great advertisement and Gamefreak could definitely do with some. I do wonder though - considering that the new games are based on Gen 1, rather than the newer Pokemon - if we'll be waiting till DLC so we can get a Gen 8 rep.

Stages

-Sorry, for me the game isn't ultimate until every stage is in (except Miiverse IMO, which is more of a gimmick than a stage). It sounds really selfish but it's just the way I view it.

-I'm worried that constant blue stream in the background of FD will be distracting. I mean, I don't play competitively so it won't bother me personally, but I do wonder.

-N64 stages really should have been re-created, maybe with an option to play the original versions as a skin.

-W-why isn't Pictochat 1 back? And why hasn't it been combined to create Pictochat X?

-Nitpick, but on the same topic... Flat Zone X should be re-named Flat Zone. Having the "X" will be a tad confusing for people who are just starting out with Ultimate, or who aren't as obsessed with Smash as we are. As a kid, the console names before retro tracks in Mario Kart Wii always confused me.

-RE-NAME "MUSHROOM KINGDOM II" SUBCON!!!

-Really worried the team's gonna forget about Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2, we've seen no sign of it thus far.

-Same as above for the B&W version of Dream Land GB.

-Same again for the daytime version of Wily Castle.

-Mushroomy Kingdom's aesthetic has never bothered me. In fact I like it, it's a really interesting concept, seeing the first level of SMB over 30 years in the future.

-I'm just now noticing this - and it's another nitpick - but Smashville feels like it's lost the Wild World aesthetic with the rigid edges and polygonal background characters being changed.

-Pac-Maze is possible in Ultimate with some tweaking. Just make it so only one player can use a power pellet at a time. It's not like stages are immune to tweaking, Gaur Plain was heavily changed between 3DS and Wii U.

-It looks to me like there will now be a Mii in every room of Tomodachi Life. I liked the fact that only 3 of the 6 rooms were occupied in 3DS because it's truer to the source game, where Miis are constantly leaving their rooms to go take part in activities across the island.

-Stage Morph is neat, but a gimmick like that really shouldn't limit a stage from getting into the game (Jungle Hijinxs, likely).

-New Donk City Hall only focusing on the City Hall rather than the entire Kingdom doesn't bother me purely because the actual Kingdom itself in Odyssey didn't have any particularly interesting attractions, unlike Delfino Plaza.

Misc.

-I'd love a boss rush. A story mode would be great but I think that's heavily unlikely. A fun boss rush through different franchise's iconic villains would be great fun!

Whew... that's all I can think of for now, and probably more than my fingers can take. I'll add more as I think of 'em!

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'm not sure how unpopular this one is, but I simply think we have too may basic Mario stages. We have six stages that are all based on the Mario platforming experience, and only one of them is laid out in such a way that it does justice to its origin. I'd gladly replace some of them for something like Bowser's Castle, Bowser Jr's, playhouse, Waluigi Pinball, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom