• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Now you're just trying to pass of an opinion as fact, without realizing the fact that both Geno and Skull Kid were wanted heavily a whole decade ago in the brawl speculation period. Like, if anything, most of the newcomers in smash 4 would be 'bottom of the barrel', which Id still argue most of them aren't. Both Geno and Skull Kid are my most wanted characters right now, so you're just being kinda an ******* about it.
pass off as fact? it's my opinion, I said what I believe. I'd say you're kinda being a **** about attacking my opinion. Especially in a thread dedicated to voicing unpopular opinions.

edit: without realizing? Ive realized how much they are requested but I still see them as bottom of the barrel. They always will be bottom of the barrel in my eyes no matter how much they are requested. why? low amount of games that they are in. I also never once argued that characters like Wii fit trainer and ROB aren't bottom of the barrel either.

Okay done editing now, was kinda distracted with something.

Last edited:

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
pass off as fact? it's my opinion, I said what I believe. I'd say you're kinda being a **** about attacking my opinion. Especially in a thread dedicated to voicing unpopular opinions.
Ok, so it actually is my bad for attacking your opinion, I honestly did think this was a different thread because I got to here through my alerts and must have mixed up the title, I really am sorry about that.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Ok, so it actually is my bad for attacking your opinion, I honestly did think this was a different thread because I got to here through my alerts and must have mixed up the title, I really am sorry about that.
it's fine. I admit it got me a little worked up but its all good.

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
If it's true that some stages (Jungle Hijinxs seeming most likely) "had to be" sacrificed for Stage Morph I will be livid.
Not having every stage in the "Ultimate" game just because of one new flimsy gimmick is a possibility that petrifies me

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I think Kirby is super underrepresented and deserves 3, maybe 4 newcomers: It has to have AT LEAST more than FE, since anyone can argue that Roy and Corrin would have been better off as Bandana Waddle Dee or Magolor/Marx. I also think, of course, that FE has too many characters. I think remove Corrin and maybe Roy too.
I also argue that there are too many 3rd parties in the game. Smash has so many. Tbh the only guest I would keep is Pac-Man since he's an enormous gaming icon, then I'd remove the rest--including Sonic. It's no fun to see 3rd parties used to market games when Smash was designed to be a Nintendo HoF.
Personally I would also like to see Little Mac, Duck Hunt, and the Wii Fit Trainer removed.

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
I'm a wee bit concerned that they're gonna forget about the Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2 and Dream Land GB grey variants

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Fire Emblem does not need "less" or "more" representation. It needs the rep spots that it already has to be more diverse. Marth needs to go full Bowser Jr. and have :ultlucina:, :ultroy: ,:ultchrom:, Lyn, and a few others as alternate appearances for "Marth." With the freshly opened spots we can put in Spear Users, Axe Users, and Magic Users. No, not "A spear user." Spear Users. Ephraim, Jeigan, Cordelia, and idk who else all available in one fighter. No, not "an axe user." Axe Users. Hector, Camilla, Frederick, Lissa, and idk who else all available in one fighter. I don't actually play Fire Emblem (aside from Fire Emblem Warriors), and the fact that I can name a whole bunch of Sword-users without even trying (plus two or two characters I like for dumb reasons), but struggle to come up with people to pick for those short lists I just made angers me.

Oh, and while we're at it, the Down-B thing is getting really tiring. How about we take away Mario's F.L.U.D.D. and give it to Corrin instead? Marth and Ike should be the only ones keeping theirs tbh.

I'm not going to be diplomatic with Zelda reps. After Ultimate, :ulttoonlink: and :ultyounglink: need to be cut, and Link needs to be a lot more light on his feet to compensate. They need to be replaced with a lot of Zelda characters; we're talking Impa, Tetra, Lana, Linkle*, Midna, Urbosa, Skull Kid, Tingle, and whoever the hell else we can cram into Smash to justify having so many Fire Emblem reps.

Before I move on from Zelda, I think Ganondorf's moveset should've been changed completely and have his old moveset donated to Black Shadow or some other F-Zero Echo Fighter. Everyone is here, but their movesets sure as heck ain't!

*= (speaking of which, IDC what the **** Linkle ends up being: Alt. Costume, Echo, Unique Moveset. Literally any of those would be fine with me, because I like Linkle for dumb reasons, okay?)

Don't think I don't notice your under-representation in smash back there, Kirby. This series has no excuse not to be over-represented out the ***. Banana Dee? Marx? Mogisthelioma Mogisthelioma , I like you. You're going places with this. Unfortunately, you haven't gone far enough yet. Maybe it's just that I recently watched some youtubers I like play Star Allies, but why is Kirby's animal friends not in the game as some gimmicky "land, air and sea" joke character like Duck Hunt? Gooey should've been put in as a character yesterday, and can we please talk about how the painter person isn't present in smash? I'd like to talk about how the painter person isn't present in smash. Sakurai, you're in charge of Super Smash Bros. Surely, you can find more excuses to put in Kirby characters. I would've lambasted you for doing it in brawl, but that was ten years ago, so...

The Mario franchise has no excuse not to be over-represented as hell, either. Mario reps are basically the hard limit for how many reps it's acceptable for any other franchise to have (aside from Pokemon, but we'll get to that). So far, that hard limit is at 8 (7 if we're excluding echoes). Just to remind you, Fire Emblem is at 7 (5 if we're excluding echoes). You want Lyn? Cecila? Hector? Tiki? I want Camilla and/or Tharja. None of us are getting Fire Emblem Newcomers until we get that Mario ceiling up first, or you're never hearing the end of it from FE haters. So let's talk Mario Newcomers: You've got Robbie Rotten, nervous caucasian slimer from ghostbusters, somewhere-between-cute-and-annoying sentient fungal parasites, LGBT+ representation gone horribly awry, Mayor Hillary Rodham Clinton except brunette and has a thing for wearing red clothing idk why maybe it's a metaphor, and whatever Kamek is supposed to be. Ironic, Waluigi is supposed to be the guy who never gets the spotlight.

Unfortunately, I'm a weirdo who will never be happy with Pokemon's representation in Smash. What we have is both too much and too little for me. There isn't a "top 10 most iconic pokemon that could work in a Smash game." There's either a quick top 5 (:025:,:003:,:006:,:009:, and :150:) that I can blurt out that I think it's recognizable, consistant and rounded out, or a top 50 that allows an entire array of notable ensemble darkhorses across every generation to make the cut while still not leaving out anything that would cause my OCD to go nuts. The remaining 45 are too close to eachother in terms of how much they'd deserve to be in Smash. :ultpikachu: and :ultmewtwo: were inevitable, and the latter's exclusion from Brawl was tantamount to sacrilege. :ultjigglypuff: is random, but carries no "baggage" beyond not being Wigglytuff, but it's Wigglytuff so no one cares, and the ones that do like Jigglypuff just fine anyway. :ultpichu: is an awful clone who has no right to be playable, but is adorable and also a completely harmless addition. :ultlucario: was just a flat-out great pick. But because we have :4charizard:, where the **** are Venusaur and Blastoise? Because we have :ultgreninja:, where the **** are Delphox and Chesnaught? People are asking for Sceptile? Great, but where's Blaziken and Swampert? People are asking for Decidueye and Incineroar? Great, but show Primarina some love too, damn it. I don't even like Primarina (at all), and yet the character's exclusion would just make me regret having the other two to begin with.

And I know what you're thinking...

if you want equal representation for starters so much, why not just have that in Pokken so that Smash can focus on the absolute most popular ones?
Two problems with that:
  1. I tried Pokken. It was a legit terrible experience for me. First off, I only recently learned from Dragonball Xenoverse that I ****ing hate RPG elements in my fighting games (even though RPGs and Fighting Games are my two favorite genres). Additonally, the story mode is complete ******** with AI that's simultaneously ****ing unpredictable and doesn't give me enough time to react, because like with many other primarily multiplayer games, there's way too much ****ing hitstun, and that's just not acceptable in singleplayer games. (no. no excuses. any game that pulls that crap deserves to be hit in the head with a rolled-up newspaper for pulling that crap). And ya'll ain't gonna wanna hear this, but the character creation system is an utter joke next to Battle Revolution's and Gen 6/7's. aH yEs, AlLoW mE tO sPeNd My HaRd-EaRnEd MoNoPoLy DoLlArS oN aDjUsTmEnTs To A 2D sPrItE. tRuLy, ThIs Is ThE fUtUrE wOkE lEfTiStS sUcH aS mYsElF wAnT. [badly performed Deus Ex music plays disrespectfully in the background as my Wii U ejects the pokken disk from my console and sets it on fire, declaring war on its human oppressors]
  2. Ya'll think that just because it's a Spin-off that's not Smash Bros, it's gonna be like Hyrule Warriors where all the cool people get to be playable characters. Surely, by having one fully-evolved starter, they'd be able to fit in the other fully-evolved starters from that region, right? ha ha ha... NO, IN FACT, IT'S WORSE. Not only are Venusaur, Swampert, Torterra, Infernape, Chesnaught, Greninja, Incineroar, and Primarina all MIA, but we're never getting Delphox because instead we got Braxien, we got Suicune but no Entei or Raikou, A second Pikachu and a second Mewtwo, and worst of all, many pokemon, among which is ****ING EEVEE, A POKEMON WITH A MASSIVE FANBASE, are locked out of the roster because they've been demoted to glorified Assist Trophies that have no thematic consistency among them, and...
[anguished whimper because it's very late and I don't want to wake the neighbors by verbalizing my asinine rants about the representation of fictional animals in an electronic video game]

I love Pokemon, but my OCD makes it impossible for me to enjoy any of its spinoffs besides Battle Revolution. It frustrates me just thinking about it, and I don't like that. :(

I spent over an hour on this rant. whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

If it's true that some stages (Jungle Hijinxs seeming most likely) "had to be" sacrificed for Stage Morph I will be livid.
Not having every stage in the "Ultimate" game just because of one new flimsy gimmick is a possibility that petrifies me
Oh crap, I never considered that.

Yeah, that would royally suck!

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
1) I dislike the stigma attached to assist trophies. "Man, Zero got disconfirmed." "Rip Ashley fans." "I wanted to play as Shovel Knight!" "Where's Waluigi?" There should be as much hype for assist trophies as there are for new characters and even new Pokemon because they represent a significant part of gaming history. On that note, Geno or Mallow would be great assist trophies.

2) Smash Tour and Smash Run should return under the Games & More section, and it should be up to 8 players.

3) Red Shell, Cloaking Device, and Fan need to return as items.

I highly doubt that's the case considering the first showcase of Stage Morphing showed a stationary stage (Brinstar) morph into a transforming/moving stage (Skyloft). I think the stages that aren't shown on the Ultimate SSS were left out due to time constraints or something like that.

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
The only logical reason I can think for Jungle Hijinxs being cut is that the dual-plane mechanic didn't work with stage morph.
Either that or they just wanted to have 100 stages, and it was low priority, but I feel like it'd be higher priority than quite a few other stages that are in the game, considering it was pretty unique and popular... Plus, you wouldn't think they'd wanna have to cut two Donkey Kong stages

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
The idea of Black Shadow "inheriting" Ganondorf's moveset (as in the state it is now) is bad and it clearly shows the people that want it never played F-Zero
  1. He has the potential to be unique. Then again so does Ganondorf himself, as well as Dark Pit, Daisy, Dark Samus etc so I won't go on that
  2. Captain Falcon is made strong, athletic and fast because he's from a racing game right? And so is Black Shadow. Black Shadow would have to be a fast character as well and wouldn't work with Ganondorf's stances and animations. Could Black Shadow be an echo to Captain Falcon (as in not having much stats differences)? Yes. Maybe slightly slower than Captain Falcon? Yes. But could he be a Ganondorf replacement, speed and movement alike? No.
  3. We still need to feel how Ganondorf moves in Ultimate but his SSBB/SSB4 incarnation definitely would NOT work with Black Shadow, I assure you. Melee's could (maybe speed-aside), and that's because it's the closest to Captain Falcon
  4. idk it's just seeing this idea of Black Shadow "inheriting" a moveset mostly everyone hates really bothers me, it's like "wait this character has a bad moveset? let's just give this to this lesser known characters, F-Zero is dead anyway"
And about it, at the state it seems to be in Ultimate, I like how Ganondorf is portrayed. His moves have enough of a Ganondorf flair, he uses the sword, and I like the idea of Ganondorf using brute force, I'm not sure if it was the developer's intent but it comes across to me he's representing the Triforce of Power (while Zelda's magic = wisdom; and Link's swordman stance and multiple weapons = courage), it's just that in Melee, Brawl and SSB4 it didn't come across well since he looked just like Captain Falcon (Melee) or an older Captain Falcon (Brawl, SSB4)

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Now that pokemon trainer is back and we have a grass type fighter back i see no need and hope decidueye is not the new pokemon rep, it does not help that i feel the demand for this fighter may go down quite a bit once info on the next gen starts coming out.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Smash Ultimate DLC will probably breach the gates into 4th party territory.

Hatsune Miku could be added and this will start the debate if she actually counts as a video game character not. Most users will say since voice software is still a software which can be manipulated it's still a video game, because at a video games core that's what it is. Some will disagree and clamour for more 4th party characters in anticipation. But she'll likely be the extent of it, big shock and awe type of character. Her appearance debuted in an actual video game so that'll be a point of contention as well.

Tecmo Koei should be the main third party DLC company and include Ryu Hayabusa as a playable character and Linkle.

Smash Switch characters like Springman amd Rex will prob be DLC as well.

Maybe a vpets rep from bamco like tamagotchi or digimon.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One that probably wasn't one a couple of months ago but...

I don't think Incenaroar should be the Gen 7 rep. I have nothing against it but I think there's so many other Pokemon who would be more fun to play as in Smash.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I think when a character is Screen KOed, the game could improve the effect of the character hitting his face on the TV by adding a quick crackled glass or blurry glass effect where the character hit. I think it would be pretty cool, because I dont like too much how it is now, it looks like the character just stops in the air, but there's no feeling he really hit anything.

Last edited:

PyroPancakes

Smash Cadet
I wish that if you had enough percent to be KO'ed off the top, no matter how you DI, you don't go up, instead you launch straight into the screen, like Bowser's new Final Smash, or straight into the sky as a star KO.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Ultimate should not have DLC, unless there's an Ultimate+ or something that comes out in a few years with all the DLC available.

The idea of Black Shadow "inheriting" Ganondorf's moveset (as in the state it is now) is bad and it clearly shows the people that want it never played F-Zero
  1. He has the potential to be unique. Then again so does Ganondorf himself, as well as Dark Pit, Daisy, Dark Samus etc so I won't go on that
  2. Captain Falcon is made strong, athletic and fast because he's from a racing game right? And so is Black Shadow. Black Shadow would have to be a fast character as well and wouldn't work with Ganondorf's stances and animations. Could Black Shadow be an echo to Captain Falcon (as in not having much stats differences)? Yes. Maybe slightly slower than Captain Falcon? Yes. But could he be a Ganondorf replacement, speed and movement alike? No.
  3. We still need to feel how Ganondorf moves in Ultimate but his SSBB/SSB4 incarnation definitely would NOT work with Black Shadow, I assure you. Melee's could (maybe speed-aside), and that's because it's the closest to Captain Falcon
  4. idk it's just seeing this idea of Black Shadow "inheriting" a moveset mostly everyone hates really bothers me, it's like "wait this character has a bad moveset? let's just give this to this lesser known characters, F-Zero is dead anyway"
And about it, at the state it seems to be in Ultimate, I like how Ganondorf is portrayed. His moves have enough of a Ganondorf flair, he uses the sword, and I like the idea of Ganondorf using brute force, I'm not sure if it was the developer's intent but it comes across to me he's representing the Triforce of Power (while Zelda's magic = wisdom; and Link's swordman stance and multiple weapons = courage), it's just that in Melee, Brawl and SSB4 it didn't come across well since he looked just like Captain Falcon (Melee) or an older Captain Falcon (Brawl, SSB4)
Okay, so what character do you think should inherit Ganondorf's old moveset?

Last edited:

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
My hottest take? Final Fantasy needs more songs but I don't like One-Winged Angel so I'm very okay with that not making it in.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I completely agree, but I would be grateful for any new F-Zero content at this point. Heck, I'm incredibly happy that 3 in 4 F-Zero stages made it back. If Black Shadow would be a Ganondorf clone, I would be miffed for 5 seconds, but that frustration will soon change to appreciation.

Guess I'll share some more unpopular opinions:
- I honestly don't care much for the missing stages. Mute City SSBM, Rainbow Road and Poké Floats are painful omissions, but the rest is subpar at best.
- Smash 4's Saria's Song remix is the worst track in the franchise.
- I really like all of the Ultimate newcomers so far (don't know if this is unpopular). Even Chrom, despite my FE fatigue.
- Ken would be the hypest echo for me.
- Shadow the Hedgehog would be the least hype echo, but it's the only one I'm fully expecting.
- Incineroar is the most interesting Pokémon candidate for me. My favorite Tekken character is King, and Incineroar is probably the closest thing I'll ever get. Buzzwole would also be cool.
- The New Donk City stage looks incredibly lame. Mario Odyssey is one of the most creative games in the franchise, so it's disappointing that they went with a standard building. It's just a grayer version of Prism Tower.

DBPirate

Smash Apprentice
If Geno gets into the game, he should be representing the "Mario RPG" series of games which includes Super Mario RPG, Mario & Luigi, and Paper Mario. The symbol would be a hammer.

The Mario series is referred to as "Super Mario" on the website. Geno has never appeared in a Super Mario game. Even Mario Kart has its own soundtrack section in Smash 4 (and it looks like Ultimate as well).

osby

Smash Obsessed
If Geno gets into the game, he should be representing the "Mario RPG" series of games which includes Super Mario RPG, Mario & Luigi, and Paper Mario. The symbol would be a hammer.

The Mario series is referred to as "Super Mario" on the website. Geno has never appeared in a Super Mario game. Even Mario Kart has its own soundtrack section in Smash 4 (and it looks like Ultimate as well).
Same could be said for Dr. Mario.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Couldn’t agree more. The fact that were sitting this close to having all the stages is kind of frustrating and confusing. I’ve seen a couple of legitimate reasons why people say stages like Jungle Hijinks, Wooly World, and Orbital Drop Gate can’t come back because they either can’t support 8-player or can’t support stage morphing...

The Wii U stages probably take the least work to put in the game, so why not just include them and not allow them as options??? I see no reason you couldn’t still include those stages other than for the uniformity of a couple of mechanics that are optional anyway...

PAC-Maze desperately needs to come back as a good stage for PAC-Man. There’s zero reason they couldn’t rework the stage or simply ditch the mechanic altogether (I mean, it’d feel a little hollow but I’d totally take it with just background pellets).

On another note Zebes and Sector Z are different enough to warrant returns. Especially since they’re keeping the original N64 simple graphics in tact, I don’t see any reason to not include them for nostalgia.

Mute City Melee not being in the game confuses me greatly too...

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
- Bring back Smash Tour, it was very fun to play with friends, a nice break from 1 on 1, no items, only fd stages or battlefield

- Ridley looks stupid as hell being shrunk and hunched over, it's cool Sakurai put him in as he's been so heavily requested, but I feel like if I was a fan of the character I'd rather he stay as a big badass boss (not looking to bring up debates, hes in congrats to his fans :) and moveset-wise he looks good)

- WAH

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I want newcomer reveals that prove that some speculated ‘fan-rules’ and ‘fan-criteria’ hold merit and weight. As of now, Smash Ultimate speculation has generally gone to a point where people are not willing to predict beyond popular ballot characters like Geno, Banjo, and Isaac and only bandwagoning on popular theories like Skull Kid, and it makes discussing speculation not as fun. I want a reveal that will spice up speculation that will make people think critically beyond popular ballot characters like Elma, a retro newcomer, or a 7th generation Pokemon.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I want newcomer reveals that prove that some speculated ‘fan-rules’ and ‘fan-criteria’ hold merit and weight. As of now, Smash Ultimate speculation has generally gone to a point where people are not willing to predict beyond popular ballot characters like Geno, Banjo, and Isaac and only bandwagoning on popular theories like Skull Kid, and it makes discussing speculation not as fun. I want a reveal that will spice up speculation that will make people think critically beyond popular ballot characters like Elma, a retro newcomer, or a 7th generation Pokemon.
I don’t think a Pokemon reveal would change much. A lot of people expect an SM Pokemon to be the exception to the rule, including myself. Pokemon is a massive moneymaker compared to more obscure or left field choices.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
It annoys me how people quote Sakurai saying that he'd like Geno in the game and use it as evidence as to why Geno is a lock. That interview was from about 10 years ago. There's no way we can possibly say if this is still on his mind today or if he'll even act on that personal bias.

And Sakurai really isn't that biased anyway. Palutena was a well-requested character and a clear next step for the Kid Icarus series' representation in Smash. Dark Pit was a last minute decision and didn't require as many hours as other playable characters. Sakurai was actually reluctant to include King Dedede and Metaknight in Melee.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
It annoys me how people quote Sakurai saying that he'd like Geno in the game and use it as evidence as to why Geno is a lock. That interview was from about 10 years ago. There's no way we can possibly say if this is still on his mind today or if he'll even act on that personal bias.

And Sakurai really isn't that biased anyway. Palutena was a well-requested character and a clear next step for the Kid Icarus series' representation in Smash. Dark Pit was a last minute decision and didn't require as many hours as other playable characters. Sakurai was actually reluctant to include King Dedede and Metaknight in Melee.
The Geno interview is from April 2016.

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/04/29/duflupdate/

ExitWound

Smash Journeyman
Smash Ultimate DLC will probably breach the gates into 4th party territory.

Hatsune Miku could be added and this will start the debate if she actually counts as a video game character not. Most users will say since voice software is still a software which can be manipulated it's still a video game, because at a video games core that's what it is. Some will disagree and clamour for more 4th party characters in anticipation. But she'll likely be the extent of it, big shock and awe type of character. Her appearance debuted in an actual video game so that'll be a point of contention as well.
If Hatsune Miku makes it, then there's hope for my boy 007

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Yeah, the interview was from 2016 which is prime time after the ballot and the costume in November 2015 was mentioned as fan demand as a reason for making the costume. That’s where a lot of it comes from I think, especially with the ballot being confirmed as inspiration for choices so far (Doesn’t guarantee all them or the top ones, but it does have influence).

Also, I mean, if Sakurai wants to put him in the game, and fans do want him in, that’s just a win-win regardless of relevance in my book. Achieve a character you’ve always wanted while also satisfying a bunch of people who have wanted the character heavily since Brawl? Nothing in that sounds wrong to me, especially in a game pulling from fan requests even partially.

Now to be clear, I don’t think that any characters are locks (Maybe Shadow cause that’s just way too easy of fan service and kind of apparent at this point). Nor do I think Sakurai is really all that bias (at least not bias in the way people make him out to be, he IS still human of course). I just think Geno has a solid shot, better than he has in years, and would be a nice crowd pleasing moment overall in the vein of Ridley and King K Rool. Plus like those two, he’s one I really want to see in the game, so I’ll admit my own bias a little too haha.

Edit: I saw your response, he did state SINCE Brawl in that interview which sort of indicates a continued desire. How strong that is anyone’s guess, but he does seem to still like the idea at least.

Edit 2: Just now realized this is in the Unpopular Thread and not one of the general ones like I thought, my apologies for basically arguing against one of the opinions here (Though I do agree calling Geno a lock is still a bit much, as much as I want him, at least)

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I don't give a **** about prediction rosters. The roster thread has been lame ever since E3.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
People keep requesting mewtwo movie's armor as an alternate costume and i keep wondering why they want to play with that clunky, uglypiece of tech that never wasn't an actual armor, but it was a "Supressor" to make mewtwo weaker and therefore more controlable. Thats why is so clunky!

PF9

Smash Lord
I've always considered Wolf the real "joke character" of the series, since many of those expecting Krystal in Brawl were given quite the shock to see Wolf instead. He's even more of a "joke" character now that Krystal is an AT. This stands in stark contrast with my view that Pichu is not a joke character but rather a legit attempt to represent G2 of Pokemon.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I genuinely like Pac-Land as a stage. Do I wish we had an iconic maze stage again? Sure, but I’m fine with this one too. I like the low-res MS paint quality to it and can’t wait to see what its battlefield and new omega form look like.

Once Smash Ultimate comes out, I think two things will happen in regards to past Smash games.

1) I think people will look at Brawl more fondly. Essentially it was the start of an epoch (I originally said trilogy but epoch seems more fitting), and the main focus of that epoch was Sakurai responding to Melee and its exploits and the following tension between the creator and the community. Having characters like Pokémon Trainer, Snake and Wolf back, along with seeing Ultimate do an even better job at compromising between the two factions, will bring a whole new level of appreciation for Brawl’s unique quirks. It was basically Sakurai’s baby, his untouched vision of the direction he wanted for Smash. People will see it then for the “flawed beauty” it is.

2) On the other hand, Smash for Wii U will probably fade into an even greater obscurity than what Brawl is going through right now. Not even factoring in sales and lifespan of the console itself, one of its main purposes was compromise between competitive and casual. Ultimate looks to do that better already and the game hasn’t even come out yet. In fact, more than likely Ultimate will do everything better than Smash Wii U, making the game obsolete because it doesn’t have anything to make it stand out the way Melee or Brawl do.

EXCEPT!!!

If my hunch is correct and Ultimate no longer has custom moves, THEN we have something that makes Smash 4 unique and customs will be on at future Smash Con tournaments. But that’s probably the only place Smash 4 will show up.

Last edited:

DeLanceGrubs

Smash Rookie
Hi there! Are you afraid to have an opinion because you'll be overlooked and disagreed with? Then this thread is the place for you! Share those opinions that you'd typically get flamed for. It can be about game mechanics, modes, characters, stages, Sakurai in general, so long as it pertains to this upcoming Smash game.

The Golden Rule: NO CRITICIZING OTHER POSTERS' OPINIONS. This is NOT a debate thread. Do not post on here if you're going to attack/debate someone for their opinion. If you disagree with somebody and can't follow this rule, I will be upset, and that's probably the worst thing you can do on here (plus I'll totally tell on you and report).

I'll start us off with some controversial opinions:
  • I wish Sakurai stopped being Director of Smash and worked on other series like Kid Icarus, I feel he's too tied down for Smash and can do better things as a director.
  • This game is running a risk of being incredibly unbalanced due to roster size, and I hope that we don't have a huge amount of newcomers in this next game.
  • I enjoy the clone characters, and I think we can keep them for this upcoming game.
  • I'll be upset if they take out Smash Run.
  • Sora has a good chance as a 3rd party DLC fighter.

Share your opinions!
Doc Louis should be an echo of Little Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom