• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
And currently owned and bankrolled by Microsoft, the furthest you can get from Indie. It’s not just that the game is owned by Microsoft, but that their hand has had a massive hand in developing the game over the past few years. Minecraft is absolutely an indie success story, but I think it represents that less now than ever and that perception will only get worse. Mojang may have relative autonomy, but you’re still never escaping the Microsoft influence.
Microsoft may own Mojang now, but the definition of Indie means that the game was developed without any funding from another major company. Minecraft and Steve were created over a decade ago with only the funding from Mojang itself. While yes, today Minecraft is getting bankrolled by Microsoft, the truth is that the character Steve had Indie origins and will always be an Indie icon.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Seems some people are jumping the gun on certain characters again. I don't have any horse in the race so I'll just reiterate one of my earlier posts: Not all news around a character or company HAS to be Smash related.

Anyway, I don't know how unpopular this is but I've seen the idea floating around that future fighters should/will be shown through hidden silhouettes more than once now. Not only do I think doing that is pointless, it also goes aganist the spirit of smash newcomer reveals. Without the surprise factor, the character reveals lose alot of hype the series is known for.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Seems some people are jumping the gun on certain characters again. I don't have any horse in the race so I'll just reiterate one of my earlier posts: Not all news around a character or company HAS to be Smash related.

Anyway, I don't know how unpopular this is but I've seen the idea floating around that future fighters should/will be shown through hidden silhouettes more than once now. Not only do I think doing that is pointless, it also goes aganist the spirit of smash newcomer reveals. Without the surprise factor, the character reveals lose alot of hype the series is known for.
Assuming you're talking about the banjo talk, to be fair, the guy who's teasing it is who teased Smash being in last year's March direct with the same "smashing good time" phrase. That being said Banjo Kazooie is literally one of the most boring choices possible imo

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The art and visual direction of the game is great

HOWEVER

making the stages have a higher pixel count at the cost of characters having lower pixel count was a mistake. It makes it so I have troubles playing the game.

I have astigmatism and I get motion sickness from when colors blend together too quickly when there is a lot of movement. It can reach the point of me getting vertigo. And this game every once in a while gives me that same vertigo, namely vs. Inklings (with all their colors) and Pikmin.

I've had that happen to me in small POV first person games and a few 3rd person 3D games with shaky cameras, but never a fighting game. Not even a little bit of dizziness from the shakiest of cameras.

Why? Because every other fighting game has had a graphical team smart enough to make the characters "pop out" more from the stage... except this one. It actually took away my ability to play this game for long hours and that sucks.

I think such a dynamic homogenization of the pixel count of the stages/backgrounds and playable characters is something that is possibly undone/improved upon if there's a Switch + with slightly higher graphical performance; Lord knows I need it.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
making the stages have a higher pixel count at the cost of characters having lower pixel count was a mistake. It makes it so I have troubles playing the game
This. I hate it how sometimes you can literally see the pixels coming off of fighters in their victory animations. It drives me crazy.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I think Porky should return... as a boss.

I personally can't see why Porky should be playable instead of a boss.

Mother rep? Ninten and Duster have some moveset potential.
Villian rep? Giygas and Masked man fill this role arguably better than porky since they're the final bosses of their respective games
Moveset potential? Can think of literally dozens of characters that fit "guy in a mech" archetype my personal favorite being Eggman.

TL;DR Porky works better as a boss than a playable character.

UserKev

Smash Champion

Villian rep? Giygas and Masked man fill this role arguably better than porky since they're the final bosses of their respective games
Moveset potential? Can think of literally dozens of characters that fit "guy in a mech" archetype my personal favorite being Eggman.

Is this really unpopular tho? I'm more interested in a playable Giegue and Masked Man, my self included but Porky has proven him self to be one of many reps of a mech fighter.

Earthbound Porky can easily be made playable while M3 Porky literally screams boss.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
Assuming you're talking about the banjo talk, to be fair, the guy who's teasing it is who teased Smash being in last year's March direct with the same "smashing good time" phrase. That being said Banjo Kazooie is literally one of the most boring choices possible imo
I kept it vague because the character you can apply this post to changes every other week.

Persona Concert? They're going to show off Joker gameplay there.
Fire Emblem Event? They're going to announce another FE rep as DLC there.
Minecraft Con? They're gonna reveal Steve coming to Smash on the last day. (Nevermind that the actual event was WEEKS before Nintendo's E3 Conference)
Dragon Quest news in Shounen jump? Erdrick is going to be confirmed for Smash (again a day before Nintendo E3)
Pokemon Direct? You get my point.

It's more annoying than anything else. People are just setting themselves up for fake hype and disappointment (A cynical part of me thinks that's intentional considering leak and clickbait culture on Youtube)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I kept it vague because the character you can apply this post to changes every other week.

Minecraft Con? They're gonna reveal Steve coming to Smash on the last day. (Nevermind that the actual event was WEEKS before Nintendo's E3 Conference)
Dragon Quest news in Shounen jump? Erdrick is going to be confirmed for Smash (again a day before Nintendo E3)

It's more annoying than anything else. People are just setting themselves up for fake hype and disappointment (A cynical part of me thinks that's intentional considering leak and clickbait culture on Youtube)
Oh no that's a different argument all together and I completely agree

Also, another opinion: If you want a dead character with one of the reasons being to make them/their franchise relevant again, you have no right to complain about 'shill picks'

MaddaD

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Smash character reveals were handled better in Melee than every other Smash release to date.

You had no fanfare or legions of fans rampaging through the streets. When you saw the message "Challenger Approaching", it could have been anyone, and very few people could guess based off of a silhouette (unless the character was Mewtwo). Nobody knew who Marth or Roy was unless you had a GBA or lived in Japan. It made every new character have weight, because you had no idea what their moveset was, what they were capable of, or how good they were.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

This feels like a Ridley 2.0 counter argument. He fits all three of the criteria you listed. Just because other characters also have that potential or represent something doesn't inherently mean that Porky doesn't.

I've also seen the specific events used by detractors to highlight specific characters are not coming and take victory laps like character reveals were ever going to happen at some of these points. Which is annoying (I also find the supposed perfect timing arguments equally annoying. Smash has rarely coincided with other releases and the only real example I can think of is Isabelle and Animal Crossing Switch... and maybe Duck Hunt releasing on Virtual Console with Duck Hunt's proper trailer?).

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
THE. DLC. LEAKS are starting to piss me off!:mad: (Curse you Vergeben!)

Good thing we didn't get a ballot so people start requesting overrated characters and stupid ones

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Kind of unrelated media opinion: Switch Force is an effortless Youtube channel that only gets views from clickbait Smash leak thumbnails. It's annoying how every other day they post a video with something like "OMG SMASH LEAK!!??" but you watch the video and it's simply 11 minutes of them slowly talking with a lot of um's and uh's and ah's in between.

Unpopular: The "dead character" argument isn't irrelevant just because of King K. Rool. There have always been dead characters in Smash. It was never relevant and I don't see why it could stop a character from getting in.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
I'm not a fan of Banjo.
I don't see the moveset potential he has compared to any other character under Microsoft's wing.
Feels like he's just gonna throw punches, chuck eggs, and run into people.
This may sound a bit hypocritical, of course.
Banjo was just before my time and nothing he has really strikes me as cool. I think I'd personally prefer Crash because he has a far larger reference pool of games to pull a moveset from.
Also my time among the fanbase has kinda ruined him; compounding things is that nobody I know cares for him while multiple people I know really want Crash. Not to say it's either/or, of course.

If he gets in it's probably because MS is going to try and revive the IP-- and Banjo in Smash would be them basically getting paid to market it. Already seeing several people go "but why Banjo over X 1st party character".

D

Deleted member

Ashley is one of the most overrated characters request i've ever seen. Not only is she part of an app tier series of quick time minigames involving ****posts but she only appears in small cutscenes. Not to mention shes so dull compared to other "Wario"ware characters. Shes just a gloomy witch that practices spells.

Speaking of Wario reps there arent any suitable Wario reps for smash other than Wario with a moveset based on Wario Land. They'd either fit better as assist trophies or stage bosses/hazards.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Ashley is one of the most overrated characters request i've ever seen. Not only is she part of an app tier series of quick time minigames involving ****posts but she only appears in small cutscenes. Not to mention shes so dull compared to other "Wario"ware characters. Shes just a gloomy witch that practices spells.

Speaking of Wario reps there arent any suitable Wario reps for smash other than Wario with a moveset based on Wario Land. They'd either fit better as assist trophies or stage bosses/hazards.
I really like Ashley as a character, and I completely agree. Arguably, she doesn't even have enough screen time to make a full moveset, much less a full character.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Even though I empathetic to Ashley supporters, I can't jump on her support train. If I were Sakurai, I wouldn't know what to do with her.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I just prefer Orbulon honestly. :p

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I'm honestly just opposed to her inclusion because I think we have enough small zoning characters and I cannot imagine Ashley being any different. I'd personally prefer Mona or Captain Syrup over Ashley.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Banjo was just before my time and nothing he has really strikes me as cool. I think I'd personally prefer Crash because he has a far larger reference pool of games to pull a moveset from.
As someone who is a diehard Crash fan and doesn't like Banjo games, Crash has almost nothing in terms of interesting moveset potential. Banjo's not a whole lot better but I'd say he has at least a little more to draw from just due to the number of moves in the Banjo games.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I don't like the thought of Pig Ganon. A really overly bland character that feel pointless. "Human" Ganondorf was the right decision.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
As someone who is a diehard Crash fan and doesn't like Banjo games, Crash has almost nothing in terms of interesting moveset potential. Banjo's not a whole lot better but I'd say he has at least a little more to draw from just due to the number of moves in the Banjo games.
Is this counting the games like Mind over Mutant or whatever? Never actually played anything of Crash beyond 3 levels of Warped so I'm genuinely asking

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I wouldn't say Crash is devoid of anything interesting to draw from. His entire aesthetic pulls in a Looney Tunes styled zaniness, which can translate to very exaggerated movements and attacks (for lack of a better term, fighting like a cartoon). His spin would be a multiuse utility move, and beyond that he has things like the Wumpa Bazooka, the jetpack, various types of crates (each of which would effect the stage in different ways), as well as Aku Aku, which could either be his Final Smash, or a built in mechanic that enhances Crash's power if certain things are fulfilled.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Off the top of my head, doesn't he have various things and power ups like a rocket launcher that instead fires a fruit, a jetpack, and so on?

Just skimming a couple fanmade movesets, it feels like Crash could have a flashier and more varied gameplan while B&K is pretty much just "Banjo punches things, Kazooie pecks things, and they throw eggs".

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I want 9-Volt as the next Wario character. And it annoys me when people put Birdo or Waluigi next to Yoshi and Wario in their rosters instead of with the other Mario characters.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
The jetpack was just one arbitrary vehicle from one arbitrary Crash game. I don't know why it's being associated with him so much. And characters spawning terrain from their series is the laziest conceivable option for a move. It means the idea well has run dry.

A ? block magically appearing above Mario for him to then jump up onto would look tacky and dumb as hell, and it looks exactly as stupid when Sonic does it.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
I prefer the remix of Snakey Chantey over the Gangplank remix in Ultimate.
Both are great, no question there, but I kinda feel Snakey Chantey gets overshadowed so much :/.

Goolloom

Smash Apprentice
I have no idea whether or not this is unpopular (kinda ties into what I'm about to say, really) BUT:

Inkling's ''reveal'' was the most underwhelming of all the newcomers, by far. Since it was tied in with the whole game's annoucement, it was very forgettable that they were playable characters. They didn't get a proper trailer that built hype for them... hell, they didn't even even get the iconic splash screen. Many many times over I went like ''Oh yeah those guys are in too'' before the game came out... and I am a huge Splatoon fan that sunk in well over 2500 hours across Splatoon 1 and 2
The hype was much more for the game itself instead of being the character, which kinda sucks, since Splatoon turned out to become a really huge thing, especially for a game that came out when the Wii U was pretty much dead.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I have no idea whether or not this is unpopular (kinda ties into what I'm about to say, really) BUT:

Inkling's ''reveal'' was the most underwhelming of all the newcomers, by far. Since it was tied in with the whole game's annoucement, it was very forgettable that they were playable characters. They didn't get a proper trailer that built hype for them... hell, they didn't even even get the iconic splash screen. Many many times over I went like ''Oh yeah those guys are in too'' before the game came out... and I am a huge Splatoon fan that sunk in well over 2500 hours across Splatoon 1 and 2
The hype was much more for the game itself instead of being the character, which kinda sucks, since Splatoon turned out to become a really huge thing, especially for a game that came out when the Wii U was pretty much dead.
I'm pretty sure they did it that way because they wanted the reveal of a new Smash game to not be completely obvious.

It worked on me at least. Until near the end I thought they were showing some kind of 1vs1 mode for Splatoon 2 lol.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The jetpack was just one arbitrary vehicle from one arbitrary Crash game. I don't know why it's being associated with him so much. And characters spawning terrain from their series is the laziest conceivable option for a move. It means the idea well has run dry.

A ? block magically appearing above Mario for him to then jump up onto would look tacky and dumb as hell, and it looks exactly as stupid when Sonic does it.
It played a major role in the Crash 2 boss fights, including the final boss. Crash 2 was also the first Western game to sell one million copies in Japan. That's hardly arbitrary.

That and Crash spawning and using crates to his advantage has been done before so it's fair game. It's easy to say a character has nothing going for their moveset if you arbitrarily write off a lot of potential moves.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I think it's important that something be present in more than one game before it's added to a Smash character, which should be as much a universal representation of the character as possible. I know that the devs don't share this ideal 100% of the time. Closer to 90%. Those exceptions bug me, though.

All of that said, I would much rather his up B be the jetpack than a crate spawning. Objects-poofing-in moves need to stop.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I was going to commend the smash speculation community for not jumping the gun when a sequel to Yookla Laylee with a switch port was announced today but then I realized the reason they're not doing that is because they're focusing on a different animal duo.

A positive unpopular opinion for a change: I'm glad they patched Daisy's turnips to function exactly as Peach. I'm tired of seeing echoes overshadowing the original and vice versa (when's the last time you saw :ultmarth: or :ultryu:?). I'm glad both the original and echo is sharing the spotlight for a change.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I'm glad they patched Daisy's turnips to function exactly as Peach. I'm tired of seeing echoes overshadowing the original and vice versa (when's the last time you saw :ultmarth: or :ultryu:?). I'm glad both the original and echo is sharing the spotlight for a change.
What you want is costumes, not echoes.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
If people are overwhelmingly using Ken more than Ryu, it's a balance issue. The issue isn't that the characters are different. By that logic, we might as well go back to Street Fighter arcade where there was only one character in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom