• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I edited my post after actually reading your's.
It wasn't editted when I hit reply so I'm afraid it didn't pop up I typed that up.

In that case, simply choose not to buy the characters. Hell, you could probably have been able to sell a Piranha Plant code too if you wanted. If you don't like it, don't get so worked up but rather ignore it

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
It wasn't editted when I hit reply so I'm afraid it didn't pop up I typed that up.

In that case, simply choose not to buy the characters. Hell, you could probably have been able to sell a Piranha Plant code too if you wanted. If you don't like it, don't get so worked up but rather ignore it
This thread is for unpopular opinions. Plant came up so I decided to give my (clearly unpopular with the people here) opinion on it.

It's like people routinely forget what this thread is even about.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Setting aside whether it "should" or "shouldn't" be in the game, anyone who thinks the decision to include Piranha Plant was based on anything more than a joke is deluded.

It's there to make you argue about it. It's working.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
This thread is for unpopular opinions. Plant came up so I decided to give my (clearly unpopular with the people here) opinion on it.

It's like people routinely forget what this thread is even about.
It's the wording that I'm concerned about. You just seem so angry whenever you talk about the Plant. It's one thing to dislike them, but it's another to get angry. For example, I literally went "Nooooo!" when Daisy got confirmed but I quickly got over that. Closest to getting angry I got about Smash choices was realizing that K.Rool, who's trailer was very underwhelming to me, actually had some cool stuff that wouldn't have made me disappointed had that been showcased in his trailer as seen in the pre-release public demo

I'm not saying this to argue against your point, but I feel like PP becomes a little more understandable when you put yourself in Sakurai's shoes and look at the main choices.

Waluigi is popular, highly requested, and always relevant, but even as someone who likes Waluigi and has played virtually every Super Mario spin-off featuring him, there really isn't that much Waluigi is specifically known for, or at least things that most Mario characters in spin-offs couldn't do themselves. Sakurai might feel like he'd be sacrificing a unique character for the "next logical choice in order of importance".
I didn't know swimming in the air, creating eggplants that make people sick and creating purple thorns (all that just off the top of my head) were things every Mario character in spinoffs could do. Even failing that, an entire unique moveset can be made from Waluigi's cheater personality alone (they could easily just invent stuff like they did for Captain Falcon). I really hope Sakurai's not excluding him for a lack of moveset potential, because he honestly has plenty.

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
It's the wording that I'm concerned about. You just seem so angry whenever you talk about the Plant. It's one thing to dislike them, but it's another to get angry. For example, I literally went "Nooooo!" when Daisy got confirmed but I quickly got over that. Closest to getting angry I got about Smash choices was realizing that K.Rool, who's trailer was very underwhelming to me, actually had some cool stuff that wouldn't have made me disappointed had that been showcased in his trailer as seen in the pre-release public demo
I'm not going to suddenly change my mind about a character just because "it's been 6-7 months". I think Plant was a terrible addition and I'll always think that. It's not even like my blood is boiling when I make these posts either. I'm pretty happy to be validated that the PlantGang memers have all disappeared and even more happy that it apparently sucks as an actual fighter.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'm not going to suddenly change my mind about a character just because "it's been 6-7 months". I think Plant was a terrible addition and I'll always think that. It's not even like my blood is boiling when I make these posts either. I'm pretty happy to be validated that the PlantGang memers have all disappeared and even more happy that it apparently sucks as an actual fighter.
I'm not telling you to change your mind but rather that you should ignore/ don't support what you don't like

UserKev

Smash Champion
I can relate to PhantomShab. I greatly dislike Chrom in Smash because he only made it ultimately due to a cheesy flavor of the month routine. I like Piranha Plant in Smash. Its interesting, fun, a very Nintendo pick and one of my mains. Honestly, the only reason I'm buying Ultimate is for the return of Smash 64/Melee stages, Ridley, K. Rool and PP.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
There's absolutely nothing wrong with hating a character. Furthermore, no one ever said you're required to have a valid reason to hate that character. I don't appreciate Chrom turning the Marth trio into a quartet, and I'll probably keep disliking him until Sakurai stops saving every FE character with Marth's generic, vanilla moveset that can be pasted on literally any character with a sword. Plenty disagree with me, but that's the opinion I'm entitled to.

Point is, even if the blind negativity and/or positivity of a character gets really annoying and you simply can't bring yourself to see eye to eye with other users, no one has to drop to their knees and worship every character Sakurai adds to the roster. People should be free to discuss what they hate/love about Smash without ten or twenty users lunging at them with aggressive responses detailing exactly how their opinions are objectively wrong.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
People should be free to discuss what they hate/love about Smash without ten or twenty users lunging at them with aggressive responses detailing exactly how their opinions are objectively wrong.
Which, ironically, is exactly what this thread was created to allow people to do. :p

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I don't think there's such a thing as stolen spots. After all there's no guarantee that a character's exclusion would guarantee another's inclusion

However, I do think there are characters that are just... bad decisions.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I don't think there's such a thing as stolen spots. After all there's no guarantee that a character's exclusion would guarantee another's inclusion

I'd put an asterisk on that statement. I think back with Corrin back in Smash 4, their exclusion could've meant that a number of different characters could've made it in.
. . .Though I'd prefer not to think about that too much.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I can relate to PhantomShab. I greatly dislike Chrom in Smash because he only made it ultimately due to a cheesy flavor of the month routine. I like Piranha Plant in Smash. Its interesting, fun, a very Nintendo pick and one of my mains. Honestly, the only reason I'm buying Ultimate is for the return of Smash 64/Melee stages, Ridley, K. Rool and PP.
Chrom didn't make it as the flavour of the month though!

Lucina and Robin made it as the flavour of the month...Ike made it as the flavour of the month...Roy made it as the flavour of the month...Corrin made it as flavour of the month...actually Chrom and Marth are the only two Fire Emblemers who weren't the latest and newest flavours when they were added in Smash.

Chrom more likely got in due to his treatment in Lucina and Robin's trailer netting him a fair few fans. A lot of people love an underdog, and boy howdy Chrom was screwed in that trailer. By all means still dislike Chrom's inclusion, but he certainly wasn't the flavour of the month when he was added.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
To add to the apparently hot takes of Piranha Plant, the Plant was genuinely the most creative and interesting newcomer for Smash Ultimate and it would be a damn shame to just turn away from a new level of character inclusions just because they don't traditionally fit what is considered a character or don't belong to conventional fandoms. I feel like if you're going to deride Piranha Plant then you also need to equally be pointing fingers at the likes of Ice Climbers, Mr. Game and Watch, R.O.B., even Pit, Duck Hunt and Wii Fit Trainer for not being exactly what the fans wanted in the moment and "stealing valuable roster space" or whatever that argument leveled against the character actually is. It's fine to hate Piranha Plant specifically all you want, but all those characters fall under the same umbrella of weirder choices that Sakurai put genuine time and effort into instead of "X and Y popular character." Hell, even something like having Smash 64 but including Ness and Jigglypuff could be seen as not doing things appropriately under that logic when you're missing Bowser, King Dedede, and Marth. A lot of the weird non-traditional character picks have given Smash some of its most interesting and unique characters, I'm not willing to trade them just to satisfy a little extra fan demand when base Ultimate already did so much in that regard.

On another note, I do wish people were more receptive of recognizing the difference in discussing a character's chances and just supporting a character. There's a huge difference between the two, and one should generally be approached from a more objective standpoint (but still respectful of course) than the other. It's great to have conversations about what moves a character might have and the games they come from, but sometimes I feel like that support becomes unconditional at times and people aren't super receptive to when you take a different stance on a character's chances than the general tide of things. Specifically, I've brought up Geno and additional Mother characters as those that I really like (Geno's my most wanted at this point just because I want him in) and support, but find much less likely for a variety of reasons in each case. And it regularly seems like people take these things as much harsher than they are or are quick to shut it down as opposed to having a real discussion about how certain issues may impact a character. I find those debates and discussions so much more infinitely interesting when you consider all the potential newcomers and their merits for inclusion across the board. It's almost like a completely inconsequential stock speculation-esque activity in which you interpret data and make conclusions from a variety of sources while talking about characters and a game you love. Maybe it just feels like we should be more in objective in speculation while as subjective as hell in support because we can.

And to bounce off of that (and please don't turn this into a big deal, but I'm curious to see how my perception of things aligns with other people), is the idea of the Mother series getting another rep an unpopular opinion or more common than that?

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
There's absolutely nothing wrong with hating a character. Furthermore, no one ever said you're required to have a valid reason to hate that character. I don't appreciate Chrom turning the Marth trio into a quartet, and I'll probably keep disliking him until Sakurai stops saving every FE character with Marth's generic, vanilla moveset that can be pasted on literally any character with a sword. Plenty disagree with me, but that's the opinion I'm entitled to.

Point is, even if the blind negativity and/or positivity of a character gets really annoying and you simply can't bring yourself to see eye to eye with other users, no one has to drop to their knees and worship every character Sakurai adds to the roster. People should be free to discuss what they hate/love about Smash without ten or twenty users lunging at them with aggressive responses detailing exactly how their opinions are objectively wrong.
Which, ironically, is exactly what this thread was created to allow people to do. :p
It's to be expected when some Smash fans treat Sakurai like a god. Sometimes you are just simply not allowed to take issue with any of his decisions.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Honestly, Chrom being a fourth Marth or not being super relevant don't matter to me. He's fun to play and that's really all that matters so I'm glad he's in and wouldn't dream of cutting him.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I'm happy for the large body of Chrom fans that he's in, and I'm glad that he's an echo because it's a low-effort workaround for a character with not a ton of unique potential who has fan demand regardless.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

I keep saying this yet people insist that their most wanted characters somehow got robbed of a spot. How do you do it?
I'd put an asterisk on that statement. I think back with Corrin back in Smash 4, their exclusion could've meant that a number of different characters could've made it in.
. . .Though I'd prefer not to think about that too much.
Corrin was decided to fill the spot of a character from a new game, not necessarily an obligatory Fire Emblem character. Being from Fire Emblem was actually going against them. IIRC they just decided that Fates would be the most profitable, and it sold close to 2 million copies.
Corrin made it as flavour of the month
Corrin was decided to be in the game before their game released. Unless you mean flavor as in recency, there wasn't any popular backing behind the character.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Corrin was decided to fill the spot of a character from a new game, not necessarily an obligatory Fire Emblem character. Being from Fire Emblem was actually going against them. IIRC they just decided that Fates would be the most profitable, and it sold close to 2 million copies.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Though really, we just can't say for certain who the alternatives to Corrin even would have been. Inkling and Elma come to mind, since Splatoon and Xenoblade Chronicles X were close to the Japanese release date of Fire Emblem Fates, but that's just guess work.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Corrin was decided to be in the game before their game released. Unless you mean flavor as in recency, there wasn't any popular backing behind the character.
This is only true if we're talking the west. Japan had Corrin's games release June 2015, whilst s/he was revealed for Smash in December of that year.

I do mean recency too but Corrin was known before release in Japan. We got Corrin in Smash before getting their game though.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Nobody ever talks about wanting more Mii costumes but I would love to see more of them. Character speciffic ones are cool as it gives you a way to play a character that wouldn't otherwise be in the game, but I'd also love a lot more of the generic stuff things like a soldier, a barbarian, a school girl, there are just so many different characters you could make with those outfits.

UserKev

Smash Champion
To properly word my opinion on a specific Pokémon rep. Pokémon Trainer goes completely against Smash logic. Pokémon Trainer in Smash makes the rest of the roster may as well represent Pokémon.

I think Pokémon Trainer in Smash is really silly.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Nobody ever talks about wanting more Mii costumes but I would love to see more of them. Character speciffic ones are cool as it gives you a way to play a character that wouldn't otherwise be in the game, but I'd also love a lot more of the generic stuff things like a soldier, a barbarian, a school girl, there are just so many different characters you could make with those outfits.
Their the closest thing in getting Layton in Smash, especially with the top hat outfit, so I agree.
I'm kinda sad that they apparently removed the ribbon and mini top hat accessories from Smash 4 though. I kinda hope they bring those back eventually, maybe....

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Their the closest thing in getting Layton in Smash, especially with the top hat outfit, so I agree.
I'm kinda sad that they apparently removed the ribbon and mini top hat accessories from Smash 4 though. I kinda hope they bring those back eventually, maybe....
If you're curious, I made a list of all the missing Mii outfits and hats.

I plan on updating it as we get them back, if they ever do. I already crossed off the Sonic / Tails / Knuckles costumes that weren't in vanilla Ultimate.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Unpopular: Considering how Nintendo handed Gangplank Galleon to ACE, they should consider commissioning songs from Johnny Atma (the guy who does GaMetal), because that would be totally awesome.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Unpopular: Considering how Nintendo handed Gangplank Galleon to ACE, they should consider commissioning songs from Johnny Atma (the guy who does GaMetal), because that would be totally awesome.
I love the guy and can't wait for his Dancing Mad cover that's coming soon but if we're getting people who are on youtube I want Tee Lopes first. Considering the stuff that man did for Sonic Mania I'd love to see his take on other franchises

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I really don't want Earthworm Jim in the game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Mind explaining why? I don't know much about him.
Tennapel is back to working on the character for the new game and that's just not someone I'd like to support with my money, is all. Like, Dragon Quest's composer has similar issues but Dragon Quest is a much more impactful franchise with a lot more people working on it, and is a cultural icon of Japan, so I can at least justify it that way. It's not as easy with Jim.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Earthworm Jim would be hilarious for multiple reasons. I just don’t think the series was anything special beyond art style though and really doesn’t need to be in Smash for any reason unless we see an awful lot of larger/more recent/more important third parties make it in first.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Unpopular: If we get an indie rep in Smash it should be a super unrealistically designed character that doesn't really sport human features, to add variety over some of the characters we already have and show how creative indie developers can get. I'd prefer Cuphead, Hollow Knight, and/or Shovel Knight over Shantae or Steve for example. Not that I have anything against Shantae or Steve. I just want something quirky.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Unpopular: If we get an indie rep in Smash it should be a super unrealistically designed character that doesn't really sport human features, to add variety over some of the characters we already have and show how creative indie developers can get. I'd prefer Cuphead, Hollow Knight, and/or Shovel Knight over Shantae or Steve for example. Not that I have anything against Shantae or Steve. I just want something quirky.
I don’t know if we can even really count Steve as an indie rep anymore. He was certainly born from Indie stuff, but he sure as hell doesn’t embody much of it anymore.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I don’t know if we can even really count Steve as an indie rep anymore. He was certainly born from Indie stuff, but he sure as hell doesn’t embody much of it anymore.
He is, by definition, Indie. Minecraft was created by and is still managed by Mojang, an Indie company. But you're right, Minecraft is exponentially bigger than most non-indie games anyway.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
He is, by definition, Indie. Minecraft was created by and is still managed by Mojang, an Indie company. But you're right, Minecraft is exponentially bigger than most non-indie games anyway.
And currently owned and bankrolled by Microsoft, the furthest you can get from Indie. It’s not just that the game is owned by Microsoft, but that their hand has had a massive hand in developing the game over the past few years. Minecraft is absolutely an indie success story, but I think it represents that less now than ever and that perception will only get worse. Mojang may have relative autonomy, but you’re still never escaping the Microsoft influence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom