• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
RE is barely popular, its still naturally growing in discussion as far as Smashboards, that I can say. I actually don't dislike RE, just something more complicating in me is saying "Stay the ** out!"
Well barely popular doesn't mean much when it's Capcom's best selling franchise.

After all, if we were to judge things via their popularity on Smashboards, then I suppose Geno and Isaac are extremely huge gaming icons.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Well barely popular doesn't mean much when it's Capcom's best selling franchise.

After all, if we were to judge things via their popularity on Smashboards, then I suppose Geno and Isaac are extremely huge gaming icons.
Facepalm, I'm a ** idiot for never learning to be specific.

I meant as far as the discussion for a RE candidate in Smash. Its growing more popular as the IP its self already Is, massively. Unless I'm still mistaken even then. Point proven.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Dante would feel very like a very same-y addition. I guess it could be cool to see a new series represented, but he would just play like a mashup of Bayo, Joker, and maybe some Cloud. I'd much rather have someone who brings something totally fresh to the table.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
My point was that it would be infinitely easier to give Lucario a normal moveset and an aura-based move (Like Incineroar's revenge) that wasn't a passive effect, but still played well into the character's design.

it's just frustrating how hard it is to play neutral as Lucario without Aura in effect.

I never said they weren't. I was arguing that they were annoying in the game.

...Except both can be gained passively by taking and/or receiving damage.

You forgot about that.

I would agree if the effect gained had to be manually built up. But for buffs that can come automatically from simply playing the game, I can't bring myself to say they aren't stronger than they need to be.

Fair, but did you read my post? I said it was like having an extra Final Smash, not like getting buffs that last for the entire game. I understand the time limit function and how it can be played around, but that still doesn't deny how easy it can be to get a cheesy KO off of them.

Explain. I've never heard of nor seen counterplay against Limit or Arsene (other than waiting it out I guess). I want to hear about this because that would really help.
Too lazy to reply to every single point individually so I'll reply to them all at once. Spoiler since its a bit long.
1. I'm all for Lucario having an aura based move in place of a mechanic if it made him stronger (like Incineroar's revenge) so I agree here.

2. So instead of removing them are you suggesting we nerf the fighters or nerf the mechanics? I prefer buffs over nerfs so I'll disagree either way.

3. I didn't forget, I just wanted to draw the distinction between :ultlucario: and :ultcloud::ultjoker: . :ultlucario: gets his aura boost after taking enough damage instantly and keeps it for the rest of the stock.:ultjoker::ultcloud: are based on a meter. You could still have 0% limit or no Arsene even if you're at 200% and 2 stocks behind. The limit/Arsene is a tool not a crutch.

4. If they were straight up buffs i would also agree but they both have critical weaknesses (I'll get to those later) that could undermine the buffs, unlike :ultshulk::ultwiifittrainer: who can buff themselves almost instantly with very little downsides just with a press of a button.

5. I don't deny that it's easier for them to get a cheesy ko, I'm just arguing it's not as bad as people think.For example :ultwario: down special kills reliably at low percents, can be comboed into, has no downsides to holding on to it and doesn't even lose charge between stocks. Even if you think limit and arsene is busted you have to admit it could have been much worst.

6. From the top of my head both Limit and Arsene can countered by:
  • waiting on respawn platforms or at the ledge(drains time limit)
  • Throwing out projectiles or disjoints (:ultcloud: only has one projectile and :ultjoker: moves has low range even with Arsene)
  • Zoning in general (again time limit is very short so stalling out the match in any way will very effective.)
  • Baiting out special moves (Using specials drains:ultcloud: limit and :ultjoker: counter/reflect leaves him open to grabs)
  • Shielding/parrying/countering/reflecting attacks (most if not all of their moves can be blocked or used against them in some way )
  • Forcing them off stage (forces them to waste :ultcloud:limit or use :ultjoker: recovery with Arsene which is more predictable and has no hitbox)
  • Gimping or spiking them while they recover (which is surprisingly easy once you know the frame data)
  • Killing them (funny enough this is the most effective method since unlike :ultwario: the charge on their meter doesn't carry over between stocks )
I got most of that just from watching people play Joker and cloud at tournaments. (Shout out to MK Leo)

Last edited:

Bonnelle D'Arc

Smash Rookie
I'm legitimately curious, what choices do you think were questionable? No criticism here, you just didn't elaborate on them in your post.
Strictly my opinion, but there are a few characters in Smash where I often question their inclusion. Don't get me wrong, I still like these characters but I can't help but raise an eyebrow every time I see them.

:ultbayonetta: - I'd rather have Dante to be honest, but Bayo's alright. An odd choice in my opinion, but since Bayonetta's games are exclusive to Nintendo, I now understand why, but I just can't help it.

:ultcorrin::ultcorrinf: - I guess it's just me, but I often forget that Corrin is in this game. They're a unique FE character, but I think that the uniqueness wasn't enough for me to care about them.

:ultlucina: - Lucina's just another Marth clone i.e. Fem. Marth. She's really no different than Marth at face value.

:ultpalutena: - Palutena is mostly waifu bait. I still think so now, though now her moveset is better in Ultimate than she was in Smash 4.

:ultpiranha: - By far the oddest and strangest choice. P. Plant is a joke character to be played for kicks and giggles.

:ultdarkpit: - I like DP a lot more than I like Pit in both gameplay and personality, but I sometimes do think that he wasn't necessary. He's just a carbon copy of Pit, except he's slightly stronger.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Anime swordsmen characters aren't as bad as people say they are.
:ultlucina: - Lucina's just another Marth clone i.e. Fem. Marth. She's really no different than Marth at face value.
"Lucina is literally Marth"
If I remember correctly, Lucina was originally going to be an alt costume of Marth, however they got their own slot because Sakurai was messing around with the damage location differentiations (Marth has tip damage, Lucina doesn't), so therefore they were unique, and got their own slot. Lucina's inclusion does not take away the chances of having another character join the roster. There were no slots taken away when Lucina was added. When it comes down to it, two people playing Smash just select created movesets to go against each other with. There might be a ton of swordfighters, but only one Duck Hunt.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
So instead of removing them are you suggesting we nerf the fighters or nerf the mechanics? I prefer buffs over nerfs so I'll disagree either way.
I never implied they needed to be nerfed. I rather them buff the rest of the cast who needs the buffs in specific areas that help them in situations like this.
I didn't forget, I just wanted to draw the distinction between :ultlucario: and :ultcloud::ultjoker: . :ultlucario: gets his aura boost after taking enough damage instantly and keeps it for the rest of the stock.:ultjoker::ultcloud: are based on a meter. You could still have 0% limit or no Arsene even if you're at 200% and 2 stocks behind. The limit/Arsene is a tool not a crutch.
At that point the distinction is the Joker/Cloud player is simply much worse than their opponent and has nothing to do with that attack. If it helps you out in bad situations, it's a crutch. That can't be denied. I'm not complaining about it being a crutch (on the fundamental level), I'm complaining that you can still:
  1. Get it early into the game and easily take out your opponent
  2. Get cheesy kills at low percents
  3. Suddenly get the buffs you need to make an easy comeback in disadvantage state
If they were straight up buffs i would also agree but they both have critical weaknesses (I'll get to those later) that could undermine the buffs, unlike :ultshulk::ultwiifittrainer: who can buff themselves almost instantly with very little downsides just with a press of a button.
I'm really waiting on you to get back to that.

The thing is with :ultwiifittrainer::ultshulk: it's not like they have ridiculous offstage games, aerial pressure moves or combo strings that :ultcloud::ultjoker: have.
I don't deny that it's easier for them to get a cheesy ko, I'm just arguing it's not as bad as people think.For example :ultwario: down special kills reliably at low percents, can be comboed into, has no downsides to holding on to it and doesn't even lose charge between stocks. Even if you think limit and arsene is busted you have to admit it could have been much worst.
Except that Waft takes forever to build up and almost never comes out until the second or third stock, and Wario can legit kill himself off of the top blast zone from the velocity of it. And it leaves him super open to attack if it....whiffs (get it?....I'll see myself out).

And quote me where I said that Limit or Arsene are busted or overpowered.
  • Throwing out projectiles or disjoints (:ultcloud: only has one projectile and :ultjoker: moves has low range even with Arsene)
  • Zoning in general (again time limit is very short so stalling out the match in any way will very effective.)
Baiting out special moves (Using specials drains:ultcloud: limit and :ultjoker: counter/reflect leaves him open to grabs)
This is more on the part of the player falling for the bait and not a disadvantage of the move itself.
Shielding/parrying/countering/reflecting attacks (most if not all of their moves can be blocked or used against them in some way
This....is something you can use against every attack in the game.
  • Forcing them off stage (forces them to waste :ultcloud:limit or use :ultjoker: recovery with Arsene which is more predictable and has no hitbox)
  • Gimping or spiking them while they recover (which is surprisingly easy once you know the frame data)
  • Killing them (funny enough this is the most effective method since unlike :ultwario: the charge on their meter doesn't carry over between stocks )
Again, these are things you can use against every fighter in the game. They're not disadvantages of the moves in question.

And yes, I'm aware of waiting out the moves by camping or stalling, but the only truly effective method is to wait in the respwan. Zoning only works until your opponent learns to get around it, which can be very easy.
(Shout out to MK Leo)
Off topic, shout out from me as well. He's the reason I started playing Cloud in the first place (back in Smash 4)

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Mimikyu would look incredibly boring onscreen. He would have all of two animations: waddle, and grab with giant hand. That would be the entire character.

**** no Mimikyu would not have been a good choice for Smash.
Well you clearly haven't seen BrawlFan1's video on Mimikyu...

This is like saying all Isaac can do is summon giant hands.
Indeed, after all they made a pretty unique and interesting to watch move-pool for :ultpiranha: .
A character who's most well know for biting and popping out of pipes none of the less.

Anyway...
I'd rather see Lucy nerfed to Marth's level then vice-versa.

Personally, they're not fun to fight and Marcina in-general have been top tier long enough.

Last edited:

Grie

Smash Apprentice
Well you clearly haven't seen BrawlFan1's video on Mimikyu...

Indeed, after all they made a pretty unique and interesting to watch move-pool for :ultpiranha: .
A character who's most well know for biting and popping out of pipes none of the less.

Anyway...
I'd rather see Lucy nerfed to Marth's level then vice-versa.

Personally, they're not fun to fight and Marcina in-general have been top tier long enough.
I’m not saying that you are wrong, but that’s not how it works.

The problem is not that lucina is too good, it’s that marth dosen’t work as well in the engine. Plus he has no tipper set-ups so kills are hard as hell to get and tippers in general are inconsistent to get. To fix the problem, marth needs to be fixed, not the other way around.

And also, top tier for too long is not an excuse to nerf a character. In that case fox and pikachu should be nerfed because they are always ranking high to top in every game ever since the beginning.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
The problem is not that lucina is too good, it’s that marth dosen’t work as well in the engine. Plus he has no tipper set-ups so kills are hard as hell to get and tippers in general are inconsistent to get. To fix the problem, marth needs to be fixed, not the other way around.
I disagree, Marth functions well enough as a fighter.
He's just less rewarding and crazy from before.
And also, top tier for too long is not an excuse to nerf a character. In that case fox and pikachu should be nerfed because they are always ranking high to top in every game ever since the beginning.
Yeah that's why it's unpopular dude.

Grie

Smash Apprentice
But if he does work well, where is he? Why does nobody use him? Because there is no worth while reward or at the very least you’r not always going to get the same results even if you play to the best of your ability. There is the excuse that he is a more complex character, but look how well fox transitioned from 4 to ult even with large amounts of changes done to him.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
But if he does work well, where is he? Why does nobody use him?
Simple, Lucy is slightly more rewarding and much easier to play.
Same reason why Pichu & Wolf are way more popular then Pikachu & Fox, people like the easy way out.

Although we're starting to get a little off-topic...

Grie

Smash Apprentice
You kinda avoided 3/4 of what I said. I would bet that if marth got most of is sm4sh quirks back, you would see him way more than right now maybe even more than lucina (in terms of mains not secondaries Lucy still wins in that department)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
What does nerfing Lucina to Marth's level even entail though?
There's like a dozen aspects to Lucina you could nerf. and I'm not exactly sure what'll put her and Marth on the same playing field.

Besides...
As a lifelong Marth/Ike co-main, nerfing Lucina won't make me go back to playing Marth in this game. I honestly just don't enjoy what they've done to him in this game and having another character that's him, but better nerfed to his level wouldn't make me particularly care about Marth more.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Simple, Lucy is slightly more rewarding and much easier to play.
Same reason why Pichu & Wolf are way more popular then Pikachu & Fox, people like the easy way out.

Although we're starting to get a little off-topic...
That's not really the case, Pichu and Wolf are SIGNIFICANTLY different from their counterparts whereas Lucina could easily by described as Easy Marth by design. The idea is that her moves are stronger than Marth's sourspots but weaker than his sweetspots, which in turn means Lucina doesn't have to space nearly as much to secure the stock or deal the most damage with combos. Wolf and Pichu however are vastly different

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
That's not really the case, Pichu and Wolf are SIGNIFICANTLY different from their counterparts whereas Lucina could easily by described as Easy Marth by design. The idea is that her moves are stronger than Marth's sourspots but weaker than his sweetspots, which in turn means Lucina doesn't have to space nearly as much to secure the stock or deal the most damage with combos. Wolf and Pichu however are vastly different
Alright, I'm not interested in discussing this "Marth is bad in Ultimate" topic anymore since it's not going anywhere, plus it wasn't even the main point of my first post to begin with.

The point was I'd rather see a weaker Lucy then a stronger Marth.
I know people don't agree with this idea, that's why I posted in this unpopular opinion thread.

The end.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Alright, I'm not interested in discussing this "Marth is bad in Ultimate" topic anymore since it's not going anywhere, plus it wasn't even the main point of my first post to begin with.

The point was I'd rather see a weaker Lucy then a stronger Marth.
I know people don't agree with this idea, that's why I posted in this unpopular opinion thread.

The end.
I misunderstood it, my bad. Just focused on that one point

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I like Lucina the way she is...same with her dad Chrom

NineS

Smash Lord
Well, I have many to share.
I happen to like having clones/echo fighters, and I'm happy for the inclusion of the Fire Emblem characters we have. I just feel that we have too many swordwielding fire emblem characters.
I don't think Dante will be in the fighters pass.
I don't feel Erdrick is too likely, even though I will admit Vergeben's track record with smash is extremely impressive meaning the odds of Erdrick being our guy are high. I will say this: If we get another enix fighter, it'll probably be Dragon Quest. I just don't feel strongly about Erdrick for some reason.
I'd prefer 2B over literally any other square enix rep.
I doubt we'll get any Nintendo-owned characters for the fighters pass.
:ultkingdedede:Dash Attack needs a form of super armor similar to :ultkrool:'s or maybe tough guy.
I feel :ultolimar: should have gotten a Louie echo fighter. That or Louie over :ultalph:.
:ultjigglypuff: needs a buff
I wish we had gotten various costumes for :ultlink: because I don't really want to play as the BotW version. I would much prefer :linkmelee: and/or :link64:. What can I say? I'm an OoT guy.
I'd be okay with sans in smash. Heck, I'd probably even enjoy him.
I still prefer 2B over literally any other square rep.
:ultjoker: has some cool alts but I really would've liked palette swaps based off of the members of the Phantom Thieves besides Akechi.
:ultsamus: should've had her Samus Returns design.
Nitpicky but technically every character in smash could classify as anime if :ultmarth: is anime. I mean, they're all video game characters of Japanese origin, save for :ultdarksamus: and :ultkrool:.
Also, like TyrantLizardKing TyrantLizardKing , I want more Fire Emblem characters in Smash.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Goemon is in the smash pass.
We are not getting a DQ character.
There is not enough Ridley online. Come on people. main the evil purple space dragon.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Minecraft sucks and Steve is not in the Fighter pass. Minecraft will be adequately represented with a stage released the same time as the Banjo content.

Nintendo has no first party characters left that are well known enough to sell as dlc to a general audience.

Crash Bandicoot is a lock for the Fighter pass.

There will be no additional Capcom content in the Fighter pass.

The only reason Fire Emblem has so many characters is because each game has a new protagonist. If each game was just “the continuing adventures of Marth”. We’d have like, 3 fighters from the series.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I'd prefer 2B over literally any other square enix rep.
I still prefer 2B over literally any other square rep.
:ultjoker: has some cool alts but I really would've liked palette swaps based off of the members of the Phantom Thieves besides Akechi.
I’d be better if there were no Akechi alt...just the others...cause **** Akechi

And the 2B opinion doesn’t seem like an unpopular thing at all
Nintendo has no first party characters left that are well known enough to sell as dlc to a general audience.
There’s still a few well known Nintendo characters left...but it’s becoming slim as time goes by

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I’d be better if there were no Akechi alt...just the others...cause **** Akechi

And the 2B opinion doesn’t seem like an unpopular thing at all

There’s still a few well known Nintendo characters left...but it’s becoming slim as time goes by
Like what? The only characters who will sell dlc are pretty much series headliners. How many of those are left that the genpop will recognize?

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Like what? The only characters who will sell dlc are pretty much series headliners. How many of those are left that the genpop will recognize?
Corrin still ended up selling in Smash 4 even though he was 6th character from a niche series and a game the entire western audience never even played at the time. Now imagine if we got some Nintendo characters people actually want.

People need to stop pretending that Smash DLC won't sell purely on the fact that it's Smash DLC. You shouldn't care about which character will sell slightly more than the other. You don't work at Nintendo and none of that money is going into your pockets anyway.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
People who haven't bought Smash will buy Smash because Dante is in it. By contrast, there is no one who has not yet bought Smash because Geno isn't in it.

Waluigi, maybe.

People need to stop pretending that Smash DLC won't sell purely on the fact that it's Smash DLC. You shouldn't care about which character will sell slightly more than the other. You don't work at Nintendo and none of that money is going into your pockets anyway.
We're not measuring the money going into our pockets. We're measuring the likelihood of inclusion based on the money that would go into Nintendo's pocket, which is absolutely a factor.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I don't think Dante will be in the fighters pass.
I doubt we'll get any Nintendo-owned characters for the fighters pass.
I don't feel Erdrick is too likely, even though I will admit Vergeben's track record with smash is extremely impressive meaning the odds of Erdrick being our guy are high. I will say this: If we get another enix fighter, it'll probably be Dragon Quest. I just don't feel strongly about Erdrick for some reason.
Crash Bandicoot is a lock for the Fighter pass.
There will be no additional Capcom content in the Fighter pass.
Steve is not in the Fighter pass.
I'm not sure if fighter pass predictions necessarily count as opinions. I'm also not sure if some of these are unpopular. I'm getting less confident in the possibility of Dante or Steve being in Smash, and Erdrick being in Smash would be a wasted opportunity in my opinion. Since we already have 3 Capcom fighters I doubt we'll get a fourth. And Crash could be very lucrative and a great opportunity for a crossover, but I'm less sure he's a lock.
Minecraft sucks
How is this Smash related.
Minecraft will be adequately represented with a stage released the same time as the Banjo content.
Wait....what? Judging by the way your post was worded, you're implying that:
  1. Minecraft WILL have a stage
  2. There WILL be content from Banjo and Kazooie
  3. Both the Minecraft stage and the B&K content WILL be released at the same time
Is this coming form a leak, or are you just totally sure about this?
:ultkingdedede:Dash Attack needs a form of super armor similar to :ultkrool:'s or maybe tough guy.
Absolutely. Every time the dev team has tried to balance heavies with new gimmicks it either ends up failing or working against them (like rage). The only way to find a balance for heavies' slowness and vulnerability to combos is to either give them more super armor or the Tough Guy Effect.
Nitpicky but technically every character in smash could classify as anime if :ultmarth: is anime. I mean, they're all video game characters of Japanese origin, save for :ultdarksamus: and :ultkrool:.
What's funny is that IIRC in Japan everything that is animated is considered to be anime, so when we say "too many anime characters" they might think of every fighter and the game and not just the "anime-style" ones.
-Bandana Dee
-Dixie Kong
-Captain Toad
-Literally any Pokemon
-Probably at least half a dozen Fire Emblem characters
-Waluigi

You also don't seem to realize that most of the fighters in this game can't be recognized by the "general audience" without at least some knowledge of their game or something related to them. If Smash was composed of only fighters who could be recognized by the general audience, we would only have
:ultmario::ultdk::4link::ultsamus::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultpikachu::ultluigi::ultjigglypuff::ultpokemontrainer::ultpiranha::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultryu::ultwario: and MAYBE :ultbowserjr::ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight::ultchrom::ultmarth::ultlucario::ultpichu::ultken::4zelda:(Animal Corssing Rep) (Another Pokemon) would be our only fighters.
The only reason Fire Emblem has so many characters is because each game has a new protagonist. If each game was just “the continuing adventures of Marth”. We’d have like, 3 fighters from the series.
>Zelda

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
-Bandana Dee
-Dixie Kong
-Captain Toad
-Literally any Pokemon
-Probably at least half a dozen Fire Emblem characters
-Waluigi
You got your answer, alongside characters from different series that were made into assist trophies instead (though they’d have to wait until the next game for another chance
They technically only have 3 characters when you think about it

3 Links for different people
2 Zeldas
And a mother ****ing Ganondorf

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
You got your answer, alongside characters from different series that were made into assist trophies instead (though they’d have to wait until the next game for another chance

They technically only have 3 characters when you think about it

3 Links for different people
2 Zeldas
And a mother ****ing Ganondorf
Their argument was that FE has rotating protagonists and thus gets 7 fighters. Although Zelda also has 3 main characters that appear in almost every game, there are also rotating characters like ones that help out the player (Impa, the Champions, the Sages, etc.), one time villains (Yuga, Skull Kid, etc.), and other quirky characters (Tingle, Beetle, etc.). So I don't see why one logic can apply to Fire Emblem but not to Zelda.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Their argument was that FE has rotating protagonists and thus gets 7 fighters. Although Zelda also has 3 main characters that appear in almost every game, there are also rotating characters like ones that help out the player (Impa, the Champions, the Sages, etc.), one time villains (Yuga, Skull Kid, etc.), and other quirky characters (Tingle, Beetle, etc.). So I don't see why one logic can apply to Fire Emblem but not to Zelda.
It could be simple bias against Fire Emblem

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
People pull that argument because for whatever reason they are still convinced the FE part of the roster is bloated for reasons other than Sakurai's own bias.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Sakurai's own bias.
Considering that even Sakurai was concerned about the number of FE reps when Corrin was suggested...

You are right however that people are basically going "Oh no, Nintendo's gonna get 99.9 million dollars instead of 100 million!"

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Considering that even Sakurai was concerned about the number of FE reps when Corrin was suggested...

You are right however that people are basically going "Oh no, Nintendo's gonna get 99.9 million dollars instead of 100 million!"
I’m not worried about how much money I make. I only bring it up because the potential anoint of money earned by a character is probably a factor in how THEY pick.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord

Let's be honest, Sakurai threw his staff under the bus to try and take some heat off himself that he'd knew he'd get. He has the final say, if he REALLY didn't want to add a new FE character then he'd tell them no and that'd be the end of it. I really have to wonder just how hard his staff had to convince a blatant FE fanboy to add a new character from it lol.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Let's be honest, Sakurai threw his staff under the bus to try and take some heat off himself that he'd knew he'd get. He has the final say, if he REALLY didn't want to add a new FE character then he'd tell them no and that'd be the end of it. I really have to wonder just how hard his staff had to convince a blatant FE fanboy to add a new character from it lol.
To be honest, out of all the new games coming out at that time, how many would have made an interesting smash character.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
People pull that argument because for whatever reason they are still convinced the FE part of the roster is bloated for reasons other than Sakurai's own bias.
Marth was highly requested on Sakurai's Melee poll.

Roy was part of Melee's last minute roster beef up, was cut from Brawl due to time constraints, and was brought back and Luigified in Smash 4 due to fan demand.

Ike was the token New Game addition for Brawl, and Fire Emblem more than warranted a second unique character. He then became literally the most popular Fire Emblem character.

Lucina was originally going to be a costume, but extra time allowed for the team to make her a clone with the Balanced Blade gimmick.

Robin was added in Smash 4 like Ike was in Brawl. Awakening is the single best selling entry in the franchise. It getting a newcomer beyond Lucina isn't a shock.

Chrom was literally added into Ultimate because of the ballot.

Corrin's pretty much the only outlier to the point that even Sakurai had reservations, but apparently it was more for the team than him specifically.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Maybe don't arbitrarily limit yourself to shill picks?
He did say that that was one of the reasons he picked Corrin. He wanted to do a character that came out around that time.

I don’t limit my choices to shill picks. I actually think we aren’t getting ANY shill picks. But you have to at least consider the possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom