• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Ultimate Opinions! - Read the OP before Posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Mimikyu would look incredibly boring onscreen. He would have all of two animations: waddle, and grab with giant hand. That would be the entire character.

**** no Mimikyu would not have been a good choice for Smash.
This is like saying all Isaac can do is summon giant hands.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Mimikyu would look incredibly boring onscreen. He would have all of two animations: waddle, and grab with giant hand. That would be the entire character.

**** no Mimikyu would not have been a good choice for Smash.
Totally not unpopular. The waddle would only be Mimikyu's walk animation, the hand grab is accurate but it'd have way more then just one variety of shadow hands at its usage. Wood Hammer, Astonish, Shadow Sneak, possibly Shadow Claw, Scratch, Mimic, Faint Attack, Will-O-Wisp, examples. Its shadow hands would also be high quality and detailed, addictive to see like eye candy.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Other Pokemon in Smash don't showcase off-type attacks
Rollout
Rock Smash
Shadow Ball
Shadow Sneak
Agility

Oh and if you're gonna go WADDLENHANDWADDLEANDHANDXD again: Remember that Smash has a fighter whose only animations in their origin game are just rising, descending, and biting.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Other Pokemon in Smash don't showcase off-type attacks. I don't know why you would assume Mimikyu would inexplicably be the first.

Waddle and hand.
If you dislike Mimikyu, its all good. No need to let it frustrate you. I mean, list one of your wanted Pokémon or character and I might have just as a simple description of how I see it. to.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
If you dislike Mimikyu, its all good. No need to let it frustrate you. I mean, list one of your wanted Pokémon or character and I might have just as a simple description of how I see it. to.
The only ones that are relevant enough for Smash are already playable, and then some.

I like Mimikyu as a Pokemon, in the game Pokemon. It's just a dumb Smash option. Like, as dumb as Wobbuffet would be. Except Wobbuffet is more recognized.

UserKev

Smash Champion
The only ones that are relevant enough for Smash are already playable, and then some.

I like Mimikyu as a Pokemon, in the game Pokemon. It's just a dumb Smash option. Like, as dumb as Wobbuffet would be. Except Wobbuffet is more recognized.
You'd probably had the same opinion on Jigglypuff or Pichu. Either way tho, this isn't an unpopular opinion.

osby

Smash Obsessed
To be fair his issue isn't moveset potential but based on how limited Mimikyu's animations would be, the little dude can't have any facial expressions or anything either
Animations are a legit problem, but you can have fighters without facial expressions, even since the first game actually: :ultsamus:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Animations are a legit problem, but you can have fighters without facial expressions, even since the first game actually: :ultsamus:
That's true but Mimikyu's shape would make them a lot more simplistic in terms of animation than even then. I don't entirely agree with him on Mimikyu but I get why. It's like if idk, a literal giant coin was playable

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
There's only one other face Mimikyu needs to make:
mimikyu eyes.gif

Everything else, he really can just do creepy doll stuff to get across his personality.

Last edited:

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord

Mimikyu is or was pretty much the face of Gen 7, even more than Incineroar. At least before Ultimate.
And you can slap a ton of stuff into a potential moveset of Mimikyu: Some Fairy or Ghost moves always work.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
After so many years, poor Yoshi hasn't gotten a second rep for his series (Poochy would be a good choice for a second rep?)
Btw i changed my avatar to Kirby and Tagline is "Emperor of Poyo"

Last edited:

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
After so many years, poor Yoshi hasn't gotten a second rep for his series (Poochy would be a good choice for a second rep?)
My personal choice would be Kamek because of moveset potential but Poochy isn't a bad choice either. (Or heck why not both?)

I think alot of the popular 1st party requests might not make it in Ultimate but are almost guaranteed to be in the next smash game.

Last edited:

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Sukapon is the most deserving next retro rep.
Cranky Kong is the next logical DK rep after Dixie Kong if not first.
Ditto should replaced Mii's to continue The Fighting Polygon Team's legacy.
Tyranitar, Arcanine and Dugtrio are missing Pokeball summons.
F.L.U.D.D is the absolute Worst thing to have happened to Mario. Where the ** is his iconic Down B tornado?! Not unpopular? Good.
Pokémon Trainer should have NEVER! happened, period. Disgusting.
Kirby's nature B needs a buff.
Super Mario Bros. 2 for NES got the stage it deserved.
You have the gall to call the Tornado "iconic"... when Fludd is far more well known as his down special, having appeared in Brawl (13.3 million sold), Smash 4 (14.8 million combined sales), and Ultimate (13.8 million sales as of right now). VS 64's 5.5 million and Melee's 7.4 million.

If you must use that word, then FLUDD is a hell of a lot more "iconic" to Mario's moveset at this point than the Tornado ever was.

Because he's a Mario character who's under his own banner for some reason, despite there being so much crossover between the two "series" it's rarely worth the distinction.

Heck, Smash 4's UI designers flat-out stuck him amidst the Mario characters while everyone else was clearly separated by series.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think that it's because Sakurai, similarly to most Nintendo fans, don't really see Yoshi separate from the main series. Crafted World sold well yet people like to pretend it doesn't exist when complaining about droughts of Nintendo games

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I think that it's because Sakurai, similarly to most Nintendo fans, don't really see Yoshi separate from the main series. Crafted World sold well yet people like to pretend it doesn't exist when complaining about droughts of Nintendo games
You are right, shame about it

osby

Smash Obsessed
Because he's a Mario character who's under his own banner for some reason, despite there being so much crossover between the two "series" it's rarely worth the distinction.

Heck, Smash 4's UI designers flat-out stuck him amidst the Mario characters while everyone else was clearly separated by series.
To be fair, a lot of characters in Smash 4 weren't placed near other fighters from their franchises, that's not a great example. Smash categorizes Yoshi as its own series in general.

Lacrimosa

Smash Lord
Birdo would be a nice 2nd Yoshi rep (even though he/she? never appaered in the Yoshi Islands game but they were paired together in Double Dash. Also, Birdo is well known, Poochy wouldn't be my first guess but he is more iconic to the Yoshi series. I'd prefer Kamek over him as well.

Also, the most iconic enemy, Shy-Guy is also a fairly popular character and a moveset would be easy to make with all the Shy-Guy variants.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Birdo would be a nice 2nd Yoshi rep (even though he/she? never appaered in the Yoshi Islands game but they were paired together in Double Dash. Also, Birdo is well known, Poochy wouldn't be my first guess but he is more iconic to the Yoshi series. I'd prefer Kamek over him as well.

Also, the most iconic enemy, Shy-Guy is also a fairly popular character and a moveset would be easy to make with all the Shy-Guy variants.
Birdo would be a she

Honestly my only gripe with the Yoshi series in Smash is no Giant Baby Bowser remix, just like most people I don't really care about Yoshi when separate from Mario. Though the asshole is annoying as hell to fight imo

UserKev

Smash Champion
That's true but Mimikyu's shape would make them a lot more simplistic in terms of animation than even then. I don't entirely agree with him on Mimikyu but I get why. It's like if idk, a literal giant coin was playable
Gwen, no! Haha I know you have more intelligence then this. If anything, Mimikyu's eyes can follow this gimmick expressions, his legit beady eyes. NOT the face cloth. Example.

Edited. Image was too big but you get the memo.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
-Gangplank Galleon is an overrated remix
-F-Zero Medley is one of the best new remixes in the game
-Incinerar and Ridley are criminally underrated
-R.O.B.'s Gyro is the best projectile in the game
-Despite his strengths I still feel like Wolf deserves a recovery buff

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
-Gangplank Galleon is an overrated remix
-F-Zero Medley is one of the best new remixes in the game
-Incinerar and Ridley are criminally underrated
-R.O.B.'s Gyro is the best projectile in the game
-Despite his strengths I still feel like Wolf deserves a recovery buff
I'd say only the Gangplank and Wolf ones are unpopular, Incineroar only needs a speed buff and then they're a nightmare whereas Ridley's advantage state is VERY good. Not to mention ROB's Gyro functions as a great stage control tool and I've seen some truly nutty **** with it

UserKev

Smash Champion
You have the gall to call the Tornado "iconic"... when Fludd is far more well known as his down special, having appeared in Brawl (13.3 million sold), Smash 4 (14.8 million combined sales), and Ultimate (13.8 million sales as of right now). VS 64's 5.5 million and Melee's 7.4 million.

If you must use that word, then FLUDD is a hell of a lot more "iconic" to Mario's moveset at this point than the Tornado ever was.
FLUDD is useless in Smash tho. Great indebt character = a terrible gimmick in Smash. In my opinion.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

That's pretty much the unfortunate part of the Yoshi's Island series. Just about every notable Yoshi's Island character is also part of the Super Mario series (which does include Kamek). Sure, Poochy does have stronger ties to the Yoshi's Island series, but his appearance in Super Mario Odyssey does indicate that he's at home in the Super Mario series as well.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Here's a few more from me:

-I don't understand the hype behind a potential Resident Evil rep like Leon or Jill. I feel like if any other gun-heavy character gets into Smash it would be the Doomslayer
-I also don't understand the hype behind Magalor. I know the phrase "Literally who?" is thrown around a lot, and it's kind of hypocritical coming from somebody who wanted Geno but..."Literally WHO?"
-Though on the subject of a Capcom rep, I feel like Morrigan might have the best chance. She's like the Captain Falcon of Capcom; her series is deader than dead, but she always shows up for the crossovers
-GSP is the worst online ranking system I've ever seen for a fighting game. It takes an eternity to climb up to Elite, your points sink like a rock if you lose, and I've seen people purposely pick the most annoying ruleset to try and either make the opponent ragequit or win cheaply to climb up the ladder. Yeah, it sure is FUN chasing a Sonic around who's playing keep-away while stage hazards blow me up when all I want to do is get into Elite

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

-I don't understand the hype behind a potential Resident Evil rep like Leon or Jill. I feel like if any other gun-heavy character gets into Smash it would be the Doomslayer
-I also don't understand the hype behind Magalor. I know the phrase "Literally who?" is thrown around a lot, and it's kind of hypocritical coming from somebody who wanted Geno but..."Literally WHO?"
-Though on the subject of a Capcom rep, I feel like Morrigan might have the best chance. She's like the Captain Falcon of Capcom; her series is deader than dead, but she always shows up for the crossovers
-GSP is the worst online ranking system I've ever seen for a fighting game. It takes an eternity to climb up to Elite, your points sink like a rock if you lose, and I've seen people purposely pick the most annoying ruleset to try and either make the opponent ragequit or win cheaply to climb up the ladder. Yeah, it sure is FUN chasing a Sonic around who's playing keep-away while stage hazards blow me up when all I want to do is get into Elite
Magolor is from the Kirby game on the Wii

in what ****ing world is "GSP sucks" unpopular?

DMTN

Smash Journeyman

I think people want Leon, because they are excited about a potential survival horror rep, a genre that has yet to receive a playable character. Doomguy is in a similar spot. He would be the first pure FPS rep. I think they can easily co-exist in Smash, because their games are so different.

Guess I'll add an unpopular opinion to that: I'd rather have Nemesis be the RE rep, instead of a human. But Leon would also be cool.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think people want Leon, because they are excited about a potential survival horror rep, a genre that has yet to receive a playable character. Doomguy is in a similar spot. He would be the first pure FPS rep. I think they can easily co-exist in Smash, because their games are so different.

Guess I'll add an unpopular opinion to that: I'd rather have Nemesis be the RE rep, instead of a human. But Leon would also be cool.
I'd push for Wesker myself, personally.

slrigeigdew

Smash Journeyman
I'd push for Wesker myself, personally.
A RE character with a Marvel vs Capcom inspired moveset would be so hype. I can already see Wesker and Nemesis performing their specials like in UMvC3 and their Level 3 as their final smash.

I honestly think the RE villains would be more unique than the RE protags but it's unlikely they would get in before them unfortunately (i can still dream)

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion

RE is barely popular, its still naturally growing in discussion as far as Smashboards, that I can say. I actually don't dislike RE, just something more complicating in me is saying "Stay the ** out!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom